Updated: Please take bloom out of the Anniversary Playlists

I know bloom isn’t in “Classic,” but that’s not enough. I haven’t even seen any options for “zero bloom” in the other playlists yet.

EDIT: I felt the need to further explain my point of view after reading initial responses to my original post:

It is true that bloom was intended to be a visual representation of bullet spread in Halo: Reach, but having a “visual representation of bullet spread” still averagely makes people’s aiming approximations less accurate because the circumference of the reticle becomes larger. This leads to over compensation in aim movement and often missing your target. Also, bloom in Reach expands at a more rapid rate than Halo CE and Halo 2’s bullet spread. This, of coarse, leads to even less accuracy.

By “visualizing bullet spread” with bloom, Reach is adding an unnecessary level of difficulty and constantly reminding players that there is a random element to their shots no matter how skilled they are. Yes, Halo games have always had bullet spread and should continue to. However, there is an positive element of “placebo effect” involved in keeping bullet spread “behind the scenes” to make players feel like their skill is ultimately the deciding factor of encounter outcomes. I don’t know about you, but mindset usually plays a big factor in my multiplayer performance.

All that said, I was okay with “feeling less accurate” in Reach’s campaign because you play as a Spartan III. They do not have the same “neural enhancements” or armor capabilities as Spartan II’s, so they are less accurate. Having bloom as a visual effect in Reach’s campaign helped me feel less powerful than Master Chief, which is what Bungie wanted.

My acceptance for bloom even extended into the multiplayer spectrum, as I am open to trying out “tweaks on the classic formula.” However, 343 made quite a point of letting us longtime fans know that there would be a myriad of options in both individual gametypes and whole playlists in the Anniversary Playlists to make Reach’s multiplayer “feel more classic” in an attempt to better match the multilayer gameplay with the rest of the CEA package and the original Halo: CE multiplayer experience. For me, part of that “classic Halo experience” is stationary reticules and reduced bullet spread. These are basic mechanics and HUD visualizations. To my knowledge, only one of the four non-Firefight playlist’s in the Anniversary Playlists offers any “Zero Bloom.” This is simply not enough.

Despite this thread’s title, I am not saying bloom should be removed entirely from the Anniversary Playlists. It is still a part of Reach’s multiplayer and I respect that. In hindsight I should have chosen a different thread title. What I am saying is that I should at least be able to vote for Zero Bloom matches often in the other playlists, because these maps and playlists are what we got instead of a fully retextured, XBL-enabled Halo CE multiplayer. I understand why 343 didn’t do that and agree with their reasoning (time, money, splintering Reach’s multiplayer population, “it wouldn’t be as fun as you remember it,” having to deal with net-code, etc.) I felt good about what they said the Anniversary Playlists would be like, but so far it feels mostly like a new map pack for Reach and we were promised a bit more than that.

As far as the “just adapt” responses go, I have “adapted.” I have played and enjoyed Halo: Reach for over a year, but Halo: CEA is not a celebration of Halo: Reach’s mechanics. Halo: CEA is intended to be a celebration of the original game and that should be reflected to a greater extent in the online multiplayer aspect of it. I’m not asking for much, just more Zero Bloom gametypes and (possibly) reduced bullet spread in the Anniversary Playlists.

For the record, I’m happy with Halo: CEA. I’m not angry and will continue to play the playlists if nothing changes. It’s just annoying to have so much bloom in the Anniversary Playlists and I know I’m not alone in thinking that.

I agree with OP. Bloom is not something that needs or deserves three versions of itself. In the case of Anniversary multiplayer, 343 should either keep bloom at it’s full extent or get rid of it completely. Going 85% seems like a waste when no one really wants it in the first place. If people really want bloom so badly, it’s ‘vanilla Reach’ that should get the 85%.

  1. Adapt.

  2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.

  3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.

  4. Adapt.

  5. Profit.

> 1. Adapt.
>
> 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
>
> 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
>
> 4. Adapt.
>
> 5. Profit.

Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference

exactly, to me this doesnt feel classic at all besides the maps. only 1 grenade to start? in halo ce u were able to hold 4 not just 2. and there is still bloom on the magnum and AR? take that shiiiz outtta here

> > 1. Adapt.
> >
> > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> >
> > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> >
> > 4. Adapt.
> >
> > 5. Profit.
>
> Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference

Seriously dude? The CE magnum had bloom, not bullet spread (well maybe tiny bullet spread). This is common knowledge.

> > 1. Adapt.
> >
> > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> >
> > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> >
> > 4. Adapt.
> >
> > 5. Profit.
>
> Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference

Bloom is the visual representation of bullet spread.

> > > 1. Adapt.
> > >
> > > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> > >
> > > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> > >
> > > 4. Adapt.
> > >
> > > 5. Profit.
> >
> > Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference
>
> Seriously dude? The CE magnum had bloom, not bullet spread (well maybe tiny bullet spread). This is common knowledge.

Actually it didn’t, I checked last night. The CE pistol is pinpoint accurate from far range while shooting at the max ROF without holding down the trigger, holding down the trigger results in a very minimal spread. Halo PC did have bloom, but that isn’t the game they’re trying to emulate.

> 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.

There was bullet spread. And very little of it in Halo CE.

No bloom.
No spread.
No recoil.
Put it where you want it.

That’s how it Halo should be.

> > > > 1. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> > > >
> > > > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> > > >
> > > > 4. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 5. Profit.
> > >
> > > Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference
> >
> > Seriously dude? The CE magnum had bloom, not bullet spread (well maybe tiny bullet spread). This is common knowledge.
>
> Actually it didn’t, I checked last night. The CE pistol is pinpoint accurate from far range while shooting at the max ROF without holding down the trigger, holding down the trigger results in a very minimal spread. Halo PC did have bloom, but that isn’t the game they’re trying to emulate.

This. The majority of players are
1)not good enough to understand when something is not right, and just run around giggling
2)did not play CE or did play CE and still don’t get it.
3)hear one person say ALL halo had bloom and just repeat what they hear.

Smart people actually test it like you and me did. Not a lot of smart people I see.

> > > > 1. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> > > >
> > > > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> > > >
> > > > 4. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 5. Profit.
> > >
> > > Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference
> >
> > Seriously dude? The CE magnum had bloom, not bullet spread (well maybe tiny bullet spread). This is common knowledge.
>
> Actually it didn’t, I checked last night. The CE pistol is pinpoint accurate from far range while shooting at the max ROF without holding down the trigger, holding down the trigger results in a very minimal spread. Halo PC did have bloom, but that isn’t the game they’re trying to emulate.

Unless they were not looking at the xbox version. (dont ask me why they would do that)

CEA is actually built off the PC version as well,

They only tweaked the pistol to act like the CEA Pistol, but the spread of the gun is still there even after zero bloom. Its the damn reach pistol…

-.-

> > > 1. Adapt.
> > >
> > > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> > >
> > > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> > >
> > > 4. Adapt.
> > >
> > > 5. Profit.
> >
> > Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference
>
> Bloom is the visual representation of bullet spread.

That is common knowledge, but having a “visual representation of bullet spread” still averagely makes people’s aiming approximations less accurate because the circumference of the reticle becomes larger. This leads to over compensation in aim movement and often missing your target. Also, bloom in Reach expands (and becomes less accurate) at a more rapid rate than Halo CE and Halo 2’s bullet spread. This, of coarse, leads to even less accuracy.

By “visualizing bullet spread” with bloom, Reach is adding an unnecessary level of difficulty and constantly reminding players that there is a random element to their shots no matter how skilled they are. Yes, Halo games have always had bullet spread and should continue to. However, there is an positive element of “placebo effect” involved in keeping bullet spread “behind the scenes” to make players feel like their skill is ultimately the deciding factor of encounter outcomes. I don’t know about you, but mindset usually plays a big factor in my multiplayer performance.

All that said, I was okay with “feeling less accurate” in Reach’s campaign because you play as a Spartan III. They do not have the same “neural enhancements” or armor capabilities as Spartan II’s, so they are less accurate. Having bloom as a visual effect in Reach’s campaign helped me feel less powerful than Master Chief, which is what Bungie wanted.

My acceptance for bloom even extended into the multiplayer spectrum, as I am open to trying out “tweaks on the classic formula.” However, 343 made quite a point of letting us longtime fans know that there would be a myriad of options in both individual gametypes and whole playlists in the Anniversary Playlists to make Reach’s multiplayer “feel more classic” to better match the multilayer gameplay with the rest of the CEA package and the original Halo CE multiplayer experience. For me, part of that “classic Halo experience” is stationary reticules and reduced bullet spread. Those are basic mechanics and visualizations. To my knowledge, only one of the four non-Firefight playlist’s in the Anniversary Playlists offers any “Zero Bloom.” This is simply not enough.

Despite this thread’s title, I am not saying bloom should be removed entirely from the Anniversary Playlists because it is a part of Reach’s multiplayer and I respect that. In hindsight I should have chosen a different thread title. What I am saying is that I should at least be able to vote for Zero Bloom matches often in the other playlists, because these maps and playlists are what we got instead of a fully retextured, XBL-enabled Halo CE multiplayer. I understand why 343 didn’t do that and agree with their reasoning (time, money, splintering Reach’s multiplayer population, “it wouldn’t be as fun as you remember it,” having to deal with net-code, etc.) I felt good about what they said the Anniversary Playlists would be like, but so far it feels mostly like a new map pack and we were promised a bit more than that.

As far as the “adapt” comments go, I have “adapted.” Like I said in my first reply, I have played and enjoyed Halo: Reach for over a year. Halo: CEA is not a celebration of Halo: Reach’s mechanics, however, it is intended to a celebration of the original game and that should be reflected to a greater extent in the online multiplayer aspect of it.

I’m not asking for much, just more Zero Bloom gametypes and (possibly) reduced bullet spread in the Anniversary Playlists.

(I am going to edit my original post to include some of these opinions)

> > > > 1. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
> > > >
> > > > 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
> > > >
> > > > 4. Adapt.
> > > >
> > > > 5. Profit.
> > >
> > > Seriously dude? There was no bloom at all in the previous halo games. It is called bullet spread and that’s quite a difference
> >
> > Bloom is the visual representation of bullet spread.
>
> That is common knowledge, but having a “visual representation of bullet spread” still averagely makes people’s aiming approximations less accurate because the circumference of the reticle becomes larger. This leads to over compensation in aim movement and often missing your target. Also, bloom in Reach expands (and becomes less accurate) at a more rapid rate than Halo CE and Halo 2’s bullet spread. This, of coarse, leads to even less accuracy.
>
> By “visualizing bullet spread” with bloom, Reach is adding an unnecessary level of difficulty and constantly reminding players that there is a random element to their shots no matter how skilled they are. Yes, Halo games have always had bullet spread and should continue to. However, there is an positive element of “placebo effect” involved in keeping bullet spread “behind the scenes” to make players feel like their skill is ultimately the deciding factor of encounter outcomes. I don’t know about you, but mindset usually plays a big factor in my multiplayer performance.
>
> All that said, I was okay with “feeling less accurate” in Reach’s campaign because you play as a Spartan III. They do not have the same “neural enhancements” or armor capabilities as Spartan II’s, so they are less accurate. Having bloom as a visual effect in Reach’s campaign helped me feel less powerful than Master Chief, which is what Bungie wanted.
>
> My acceptance for bloom even extended into the multiplayer spectrum, as I am open to trying out “tweaks on the classic formula.” However, 343 made quite a point of letting us longtime fans know that there would be a myriad of options in both individual gametypes and whole playlists in the Anniversary Playlists to make Reach’s multiplayer “feel more classic” to better match the multilayer gameplay with the rest of the CEA package and the original Halo CE multiplayer experience. For me, part of that “classic Halo experience” is stationary reticules and reduced bullet spread. Those are basic mechanics and visualizations. To my knowledge, only one of the four non-Firefight playlist’s in the Anniversary Playlists offers any “Zero Bloom.” This is simply not enough.
>
> Despite this thread’s title, I am not saying bloom should be removed entirely from the Anniversary Playlists because it is a part of Reach’s multiplayer and I respect that. In hindsight I should have chosen a different thread title. What I am saying is that I should at least be able to vote for Zero Bloom matches often in the other playlists, because these maps and playlists are what we got instead of a fully retextured, XBL-enabled Halo CE multiplayer. I understand why 343 didn’t do that and agree with their reasoning (time, money, splintering Reach’s multiplayer population, “it wouldn’t be as fun as you remember it,” having to deal with net-code, etc.) I felt good about what they said the Anniversary Playlists would be like, but so far it feels mostly like a new map pack and we were promised a bit more than that.
>
> As far as the “adapt” comments go, I have “adapted”. Like I said in my first reply, I have played and enjoyed Halo: Reach for over a year. Halo: CEA is not a celebration of Halo: Reach’s mechanics however, it is a celebration of the original game and that should be reflected to a greater extent in the online multiplayer aspect of it.
>
> I’m not asking for much, just more Zero Bloom gametypes and (possibly) reduced bullet spread in the Anniversary Playlists.
>
> (I am going to edit my original post to include some of these opinions)

Make note that there is no bullet spread after halo 2’s patch.

No. It is fine the way it is.

> Make note that there is no bullet spread after halo 2’s patch.

Yes, thank you for bringing this up. In any case, the bullet spread that was in Halo 2 before the patch was still smaller in circumference and slower in growth than the bullet spread in Halo: Reach. I have heard people say that it is essentially the same, but the difference in P.O.V. makes it “seem” different (a la running speed and grenade throwing distance in Halo 3: ODST vs Halo 3.) I don’t know if I believe that though.

i really couldnt agree with you more. i dont see why 343i would tease us with the TU Beta, then never used what they pretty much guarenteed. to me it doesnt feel like halo ce, maybe they will realize it soon enough

They got it right in the CEA campaign (which is no surprise), but couldn’t 343 see that the magnum in the CEA playlist is nothing like CE’s pistol. The only similarity they share is that they’re both 3 shots to kill. That’s it. The one in MM is far too random, has a smaller clip size and did I say, random.

> 1. Adapt.
>
> 2. ZB in Anniversary isn’t going to happen.
>
> 3. There was bloom in the original, hence why it’s in Anniversary.
>
> 4. Adapt.
>
> 5. Profit.

typical enfinit trollpost is typical.

1.) adapting to this is -Yoink!- i shouldnt have to avoid 1v1 battles because the victor isnt decided by who shoots better, but instead, often times, decided by someone out-lucking the other person via bloom + spam.

2.) if you pulse fired the CE pistol you had pinpoint accuracy 100% of the time regardless of how fast you shot it (NO BLOOM). the ‘bloom’ you are talking about only actually happened if you held down the trigger. <mark>oddly enough, everyone who was not terrible at halo 1 knows this, and simply pulses their pistol for infinite gain.</mark> imma go out on a limb here and say you didnt actually play halo 1 extensively enough to have any sort of an idea what you are actually talking about. you are just repeating the same thing other randoms have told you, then tacking on ‘adapt’ to label yourself a troll in the process.

3.) you cannot actually debate your stance on bloom being on the pistol. if you could you could either:

A.) give us an example of someone who benefits from this random luck factor that this poorly implemented bloom inherently adds.

or

B.) tell us why its better for someone who shoots technically worse to be able to beat someone who shoots technically better (spamming isnt optimal, but it works a lot of the time).

the thing is, you cant do either. so… your argument is invalid.

ive adapted. this is obvious because i currently have a whopping 3.40 KD in the classic playlist. i still think its bad / suboptimal.