UPDATED: Headlong confirmed as Anniversary map!

EDIT: IGN had recently uploaded a video on their website showing off Heradlong in all its new glory. It is now officially confirmed, and now I officially love 343.

/Told you so

Recently in the Podcast, Frankie had hinted of two maps that will be coming in the CEA map bundle. One was Hang 'Em High, which was shown during the Anniversary trailer and mentioned numerous times by Frankie in the podcast. The other map, however, still remains a mystery. The only thing Frankie said about it was that it still had some spaces that weren’t textured, it was not a Halo CE map, and that sprint made it much more interesting to traverse.

Sprint is ideal for large maps with big, open spaces, right? Which means that the map Frankie mentioned is probably a Big Team Battle map.

Now, what BTB map has always been a fan favorite, and has always been requested as a remake? There are some maps, such as Waterworks, Sandtrap, and Terminal that have been obvious favorites, but no other BTB map has ever been requested more than Headlong. It has always been one of the greatest and most popular BTB map in Halo, and whenever there’s a thread asking people what maps they would like remade or in the Anniversary map bundle, the majority always mentions Headlong.

Aside from it’s popularity, I can also safely assume that the map Frankie was talking about was Headlong. Verticality plays a huge role in the map design; you never wanted to be in the wide open space underneath the girders without a vehicle. Sprint was made for players to quickly escape danger zones, and sprint could be a very useful AA for a map that large. There are also certain play spaces, like the girder walkway and the unfinished bridge, that required you to be careful about traversing the area. If certain jumps were not done right, players could fall into the open plaza and get annihilated by vehicles. Now, if sprint was implemented players could traverse the upper part of the map more easily and jump from building to building with ease. I feel like sprint would work perfectly with Headlong, and that’s just more reason to assume that Headlong is going to be a map in the map bundle.

Now, I know that Frankie did say that they were going to focus on smaller maps in the podcast. However, that doesn’t mean that there wouldn’t be a BTB map or two in the bundle. Beaver Creek and Damnation are fairly small-medium maps. The only confirmed map that is physically large is Hang 'Em High, and even then Frankie said that Hang 'Em High was fairly compact and could be played with a small amount of players. So far there hasn’t been any BTB maps confirmed, and people can safely assume that 343i will be putting one or two large map into the map bundle. Seeing as how Headlong is the obvious fan favorite, other large maps are not as likely to be in the map bundle.

EDIT: So in the recent video g4tv put up, Frankie talks about having a map(s) from Halo PC and a map from Halo 2 at 1:11. Since we probably saw Timberland in the trailer, I think it’s safe to assume that Frankie was mentioning about it in the video.

So now we have:
Beaver Creek
Damnation
Hang 'Em High
Timberland
The New Firefight Map

Obviously we’re missing the Halo 2 map, which justifies even more how Headlong is a prime candidate for the map bundle. Lockout was a fan favorite, but then again, Lockout has been reused time and time again, remaking it yet again wouldn’t be the best option. Of course, Ivory Tower is out, due to Reflection. Both Headlong and Waterworks are the prime candidates, but then again, Headlong seems like the more loved map and, unlike Waterworks, has a level of verticality and tricky jumps that would be suitable for players with sprint.

UPDATE: In the recent Bulletin on 8/10/11 BS Angel announced that they would be showing 5 of the of the 7 brand new multiplayer maps at Halo fest. Damnation, Beaver Creek, Hang 'Em High, and Timberland are probably on that list, since thy are already confirmed.

However, what’s the reason behind revealing only 5 of the 7 maps? Obviously the firefight map has a special surprise that will probably by unveiled later, but what about the other map?

To recall at Comic Con 2010, Bungie announced Firefight 2.0 at their panel… before announcing forge world. Assuming that 343i follows this pattern, they might announce some important forge related stuff.

Now, I remember that people always discussed of a new forge world since the color palette became stale. In fact I remember that A 3 Legged Goat made a mega thread about Headlong as a forge world. Apparently, Forge City was a great idea. And if I’m correct, the map that won’ be shown is a Forge city.

Now you might ask, how is this related to Headlong? Well, as I said earlier, A Three Legged Goat’s original post suggested of remaking Headlong and making it another Forge World. I don’t know about you, but to me it all adds up. Halo Anniversary was heavily rumored around the time Goat’s thread was made, and someone who worked at 343i happened to stumble upon the mega thread. If I’m correct someone must have taken Goat’s speculation in account and started working on Forge City when Halo Anniversary was still in development.

This is just more reason to why Headlong is a prime candidate as a map in the bundle. I know all of this is speculation, but look at all of this and tell me it’s just pure coincidence. Bungie announced both Firefight and Forge World at Comic Con, and the 7th map just happens to be a firefight map. Shortly after Halo Reach’s release and sometime during CEA’s development people were complaining that Forge World’s color palette was too boring, and A Three Legged Goat made a popular thread about Headlong as a Forge City. More importantly, it’s confirmed that a Halo 2 map will be in the bundle, and Headlong is by the far most favorited and discussed.All this circumstantial evidence points to a Forge City, and Headlong is the number 1 suspect.

All I can say is, YES. I wasn’t here to play Halo 2 or Headlong on Xbl, but from observing the map alone, and a few friends walking me through it, it seems like a hit. My comparison in halo 3 would be that of Valhalla or Standoff. Aside from that, I would be pleasantly surprised if they brought back not Blood Gulch, but Coagulation!

I would love for Headlong to return.

> I would love for Headlong to return.

My first thought was Headlong too. They mention keeping the lights when referring to this mystery map. As I remember Headlong had a few streets lights and a few lights on the side of the building. I hope they were indeed referring to Headlong. I don’t want to get overly excited but I would love a Headlong remake.

> > I would love for Headlong to return.

I’d be ecstatic.

> > > I would love for Headlong to return.
>
> I’d be ecstatic.

Same! Probably my favorite BTB map of all time.

I’d prefer smaller maps, but Headlong is an amazing map and I’d be okay with it being in.

Please for all that is Halo in this world bring back Headlong!

So far we got

Beaver Creek

Hang Em High

Damnation

Timberland ( Heavily rumored)

and now Headlong ( If this is true)

that means there is one more multiplayer map left. From the podcast we know it is a small map. And it is a favorite. My guess would be either Prisoner, Lockout, Gaurdian. Or -Yoink- maybe the Pit. There are already 4 confirmed CE maps. 1 Heavily rumored Halo 2 map. it would make perfect since for the 6th map to be from Halo 3. So maybe Gaurdian or The Pit.

Headlong has always been my favorite map of all time and if it comes back i might cry from my happiness.

> Headlong has always been my favorite map of all time and if it comes back i might cry from my happiness.

sir I shall cry with you!

> > Headlong has always been my favorite map of all time and if it comes back i might cry from my happiness.
>
> sir I shall cry with you!

Then we shall cry together under the sun at banshee spawn!

> Headlong has always been my favorite map of all time and if it comes back i might cry from my happiness.

Same here. I remember how epic assault was on that map. Arming the Bomb in the center tower, either coming from above or below.

Same here. I remember how epic assault was on that map. Arming the Bomb in the center tower, either coming from above or below.

I hope they will remake headlong, best map

I’d prefer Waterworks but you can’t really go wrong with either of them.

Please let the small map be Prisoner. Or Midship. Or Chill Out.

> My guess would be either Prisoner, Lockout, Gaurdian.

God -Yoink!- I’m sick of Lockout and all its clones. There’s a bunch of on-point forge remakes floating around anyway, why waste a slot on one of the easiest maps to recreate in forge?

> it would make perfect since for the 6th map to be from Halo 3. So maybe Gaurdian or The Pit.

The only small Halo 3 maps I want anywhere near this game are Midship/Heretic and Citadel. I could tolerate Pit, but I’m already tired of that map. The small CE maps need more exposure, give the current generation enough time with Prisoner and they’ll forget all about Guardian and Pit.

I’d love to see Headlong return. I remember how epic it was back in the days when you played One Bomb or One Flag on it. Sad how none of these gametypes appear in BTB nowadays. Everybody just votes for Slayer :confused:

> > Headlong has always been my favorite map of all time and if it comes back i might cry from my happiness.
>
> Same here. I remember how epic assault was on that map. Arming the Bomb in the center tower, either coming from above or below.

My god how I miss Assault on Headlong! I think I would cry in happiness like the others in this thread if the best BTB map of all time returned!

Maybe they could bring back Zanzi as well. That map was awesome.