Update on ADS/Smart Scope for those who don't know

You know, I don’t think they ever really announced this change being implemented into the game, but I was watching a bunch of Warzone gameplays and couldn’t help but wonder why I haven’t already noticed it.

As many of you know, the Smart Scope in the beta featured a tightened spread when you zoomed in, which is unlike the traditional halo scope. Which meant that SS was more than just visual as they told us it would be. After the beta they said they’d scale back the assault rifles spread tightening, but didn’t mention any other weapons. Fast forward to today, and I just realized that most weapons shown in the warzone gameplays no longer feature a tightened spread when they zoom in. Although there are a small handful that still do. The only two I noticed in the gameplays that still have the tightened spread when aiming were the Magnum, Shotgun, and maybe a couple others I missed. But as I observed, sure enough the BR, DMR, Boltshot, AR, Storm rifle, SAW, Rocket Launcher, Splaser, Needler, Carbine were all almost certainly without the tightened spread feature. Obviously there are some weapons I didn’t really get to see. The fact that a few weapons still have the feature leads me to believe that there are specific reasons related to those weapons for them to still get that smaller spread when zoomed. Fun Fact: Halo 5 beta was not the first time a tightened spread when zooming was featured in a Halo game.

The reason as to why I’m making this topic is because I’m pretty sure that a lot of people who didn’t like that SS changed the classic halo scope are unaware that for most weapons the SS bonus seen in the beta has been removed. I still see some people complain about it. And I know for a lot of people keeping the SS functioning like the classic halo scope is important.

Here are a couple gameplays where you should be able to see it on at least some of the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKiPuaCKlU

Okay.

But it still has the ADS look and animation to some of the weapons thus people will still be in arms about it. The bonus of Smart scope in the beta days was discovered after, when smart scope was already getting heat simply due to cosmetic.

Well, when it comes to cosmetics, its hard to please everyone. At least it isn’t going to have a huge effect on the gameplay. Which means that’s one less thing to worry about.

I like how its not traditional ADS and how it unzooms you when you get hit

From what I’ve seen, I’ve noticed the same as you pointed out. But I haven’t played it, and can’t prove it. I think SE is unnecessary on all weapons, but with the changes made, I’m pretty sure it won’t change halo too much. Now they need to get rid of headshot bonus damage on autos.

> 2533274813499353;5:
> From what I’ve seen, I’ve noticed the same as you pointed out. But I haven’t played it, and can’t prove it. I think SE is unnecessary on all weapons, but with the changes made, I’m pretty sure it won’t change halo too much. Now they need to get rid of headshot bonus damage on autos.

I think they said that the damage was reduced for the headshot bonus at one point. But I suppose having it in the first place was to help the autos compete. Which is fine by me, because that means people will be more willing to play AR/Magnum starts, which as of the beta earlier this year, I kind of like more than BR starts for H5, despite it being the go to starts for past games.

> 2533274967148336;4:
> I like how its not traditional ADS and how it unzooms you when you get hit

That was a big thing missing in H4. Which made snipers OP. They shoot you and your view goes flying upward thanks to finch, and when you land a shot on them, they stay scoped and barely feel a fraction of the flinch you do when you get hit. Descope is love. Descope is life.

> 2533274808578327;2:
> Okay.
>
> But it still has the ADS look and animation to some of the weapons thus people will still be in arms about it. The bonus of Smart scope in the beta days was discovered after, when smart scope was already getting heat simply due to cosmetic.

Which is incredibly petty and stupid.
I’m almost certain that the only real reasons anyone had for disliking it is because it was applied to every weapon in the game, and because the default controls have SS activated by way of a trigger.
Which is double-stupid. Just change the control scheme. The old games had Zoom&Shoot too.
This is all of very little consequence.

> 2533274882407276;8:
> > 2533274808578327;2:
> > Okay.
> >
> > But it still has the ADS look and animation to some of the weapons thus people will still be in arms about it. The bonus of Smart scope in the beta days was discovered after, when smart scope was already getting heat simply due to cosmetic.
>
>
> Which is incredibly petty and stupid.
> I’m almost certain that the only real reasons anyone had for disliking it is because it was applied to every weapon in the game, and because the default controls have SS activated by way of a trigger.
> Which is double-stupid. Just change the control scheme. The old games had Zoom&Shoot too.
> This is all of very little consequence.

As far as the look of SS is concerned, I find it interesting, and kind of cool that the automatic weapons zoom in along the side instead of along the top of the weapon. Which as far as I know, other games don’t do ADS in that side-zoom style.

As for the controls, I suppose changing a control scheme is just way too hard for some of us. R.I.P common sense

Indeed.

> 2533274813499353;5:
> From what I’ve seen, I’ve noticed the same as you pointed out. But I haven’t played it, and can’t prove it. I think SE is unnecessary on all weapons, but with the changes made, I’m pretty sure it won’t change halo too much. Now they need to get rid of headshot bonus damage on autos.

No thanks. Headshot bonus damage for auto’s combined with SS allows auto rifles to actually be useful.

> 2535422112705145;10:
> > 2533274813499353;5:
> > From what I’ve seen, I’ve noticed the same as you pointed out. But I haven’t played it, and can’t prove it. I think SE is unnecessary on all weapons, but with the changes made, I’m pretty sure it won’t change halo too much. Now they need to get rid of headshot bonus damage on autos.
>
>
> No thanks. Headshot bonus damage for auto’s combined with SS allows auto rifles to actually be useful.

They should be useful.

Smart Scope was implemented for the Call Of Duty crowd, they wanted to get some of there players and make the game more casual for other people and non halo gamers, this is why they have tried to make the game controls more similar to Call Of Duty, hence the left trigger to activate Smart Scope, I wouldn’t be surprised if they added prone in Halo 6, and that’s when I will leave halo but until then I can bare with these changes, still annoys me how they are catering to the Call Of Duty crowd and there is enough evidence to support this,

> 2533274883108544;12:
> Smart Scope was implemented for the Call Of Duty crowd, they wanted to get some of there players and make the game more casual for other people and non halo gamers, this is why they have tried to make the game controls more similar to Call Of Duty, hence the left trigger to activate Smart Scope, I wouldn’t be surprised if they added prone in Halo 6, and that’s when I will leave halo but until then I can bare with these changes, still annoys me how they are catering to the Call Of Duty crowd and there is enough evidence to support this,

We’ve always had smart scope in Halo!!! This isn’t new! The only difference is that the aim button was moved to a new location. Plus, you get descoped when you get hit, so I still don’t see the issue with this.

> 2533274898765950;11:
> > 2535422112705145;10:
> > No thanks. Headshot bonus damage for auto’s combined with SS allows auto rifles to actually be useful.
>
>
> They should be useful.

Yeah, was kinda nice that there was some actual depth to auto rifles in the beta. Hopefully they haven’t sent the starting weapon back to the scrap heap.

SS and Zoom are the sane. Where they are functionally and aesthetically different is essentially only on the pistol, or anything else featuring true aiming down sights. Theres no difference besides it. Move it to the zoom button.

> 2533274808578327;2:
> Okay.
>
> But it still has the ADS look and animation to some of the weapons thus people will still be in arms about it. The bonus of Smart scope in the beta days was discovered after, when smart scope was already getting heat simply due to cosmetic.

So, are you saying people will still have an issue with SS, but it will be just the aesthetics of SS?

As someone who is a massive Halo fan and doesn’t even touch Call of Duty games, I think that the addition of Smart Scope is really cool. Fundamentally, it isn’t really altering the game that much since you get descoped when shot and choosing to hip fire is almost always a smarter decision unless you’re far away and your enemy doesn’t see you. Additionally, I think that Smart Scope will actually provide a whole new and interesting layer to the available weapons. For example, I found that the new Assault Rifle with Smart Scope was a ton of fun to use, and I can only imagine how that will translate in campaign when we get to mow down filthy Covenant casuals. In essence, I just think it adds an interesting new perspective to Halo and the only big reason players are up in arms is because it was moved to the left trigger by default.

My prediction is that once the game releases and players get used to it, it will be tough to go back to a time when Halo didn’t have any sort of zoom for every weapon. Just my two cents.

> 2533274963205596;17:
> As someone who is a massive Halo fan and doesn’t even touch Call of Duty games, I think that the addition of Smart Scope is really cool. Fundamentally, it isn’t really altering the game that much since you get descoped when shot and choosing to hip fire is almost always a smarter decision unless you’re far away and your enemy doesn’t see you. Additionally, I think that Smart Scope will actually provide a whole new and interesting layer to the available weapons. For example, I found that the new Assault Rifle with Smart Scope was a ton of fun to use, and I can only imagine how that will translate in campaign when we get to mow down filthy Covenant casuals. In essence, I just think it adds an interesting new perspective to Halo and the only big reason players are up in arms is because it was moved to the left trigger by default.
>
> My prediction is that once the game releases and players get used to it, it will be tough to go back to a time when Halo didn’t have any sort of zoom for every weapon. Just my two cents.

Two cents well spent

Anyways I’m fine if smart scope looks like ADS