Update from Frankie AKA Stinkles on Neogaf

NEW UPDATE FROM 343i

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/85d779d52cfd46918b4f8b638f2e3c7b/topics/11-13-update/10e177f9-50ce-4c73-95bf-bbadd2cc6fe7/posts

> Stinkles aka Frankie wrote:
>
> We DO have dedicated servers.
>
> First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.
>
> And sorry for periods of radio silence, we’re literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Here is the link:

Bump to see.

More posts on NeoGaf

> It’s literally all connected to issues that weren’t visible in test. And getting better.

> 2533274797657432;1:
> > We DO have dedicated servers.
> >
> > First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.
> >
> > And sorry for periods of radio silence, we’re literally rushing around fixing stuff.
>
>
> Here is the link:
> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138727444&postcount=278
>
> Bump to see.

bump to bump to see

Halo is gonna be broken for 100 years? :frowning:

Issues that weren’t visible in test?

So nobody used the bump n’ jump control scheme in test? No one tried to unlock achievements in test? No one tried to play online co-op campaign in test? No one saw the audio glitches in original HALO 2 cutscenes in test?

Maybe the matchmaking one wouldn’t have been found (but it should have considering its importance in the game, but absolutely none of the testers found any of the other fairly visible bugs in test?

I find that extremely hard to believe.

> 2533274899335162;4:
> Issues that weren’t visible in test?
>
> So nobody used the bump n’ jump control scheme in test? No one tried to unlock achievements in test? No one tried to play online co-op campaign in test? No one saw the audio glitches in original HALO 2 cutscenes in test?
>
> Maybe the matchmaking one wouldn’t have been found (but it should have considering its importance in the game, but absolutely none of the testers found any of the other fairly visible bugs in test?
>
> I find that extremely hard to believe.

Have you ever done software development? I’ve been apart of some major software releases that had hundreds/thousands of man-hours in testing where it looks and feels perfect and as soon as it goes out the door all hell breaks lose. At that point it’s out there, you can’t recall it, you just do everything in your power to narrow the issues down, fix them, and test again, because god forbid you create a new issue for a launch that’s already borked and start a whole new -Yoink- storm. On top of all that you have people telling you how the project that you’ve poured months/years of your life into is literally the worst thing that’s ever happened to them in their lives. It hurts.

Yes, this sucks. Yes, I would love to play some matchmaking. But at this point, it is what it is, and it will be resolved when it’s resolved. 343i et al have shown enough devotion to this project that I feel pretty safe in saying that that are doing everything in their power to fix it and that they are as upset as us about the whole situation.

It probably took five minutes to type that up.

> 2563432823627616;5:
> > 2533274899335162;4:
> > Issues that weren’t visible in test?
> >
> > So nobody used the bump n’ jump control scheme in test? No one tried to unlock achievements in test? No one tried to play online co-op campaign in test? No one saw the audio glitches in original HALO 2 cutscenes in test?
> >
> > Maybe the matchmaking one wouldn’t have been found (but it should have considering its importance in the game, but absolutely none of the testers found any of the other fairly visible bugs in test?
> >
> > I find that extremely hard to believe.
>
>
> Have you ever done software development? I’ve been apart of some major software releases that had hundreds/thousands of man-hours in testing where it looks and feels perfect and as soon as it goes out the door all hell breaks lose. At that point it’s out there, you can’t recall it, you just do everything in your power to narrow the issues down, fix them, and test again, because god forbid you create a new issue for a launch that’s already borked and start a whole new -Yoink- storm. On top of all that you have people telling you how the project that you’ve poured months/years of your life into is literally the worst thing that’s ever happened to them in their lives. It hurts.
>
> Yes, this sucks. Yes, I would love to play some matchmaking. But at this point, it is what it is, and it will be resolved when it’s resolved. 343i et al have shown enough devotion to this project that I feel pretty safe in saying that that are doing everything in their power to fix it and that they are as upset as us about the whole situation.

I’ve done software development and still do, and half the battle is keeping your end users informed. That is where they have been lacking to date. More updates with relevant information would help, not just a “We pushed a Server update out that will fix the problems”.

Be sure to check new update:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/85d779d52cfd46918b4f8b638f2e3c7b/topics/11-13-update/10e177f9-50ce-4c73-95bf-bbadd2cc6fe7/posts