Upcoming Music

Hello everyone, I was looking for a topic for halo 4 music but couldn’t find one, so I thought I’d write one up myself.

I’m quite sad to hear that Marty O Donnell won’t be writing music for halo 4. Quite crushed actually.

I’m expecting the music to be butchered and repetitive without any depth. Marty was a genius, and I’m not sure why he’s not doing music for the next game, but it’ll definitely be an element I miss.

What do you guys think the music for halo 4 will be like?

> I’m expecting the music to be butchered and repetitive without any depth.

Why? Marty isn’t the only decent composer in the industry. I’m not saying Halo 4’s mysic will necessarily be good, but that’s no reason to “expect” that it will be poor.

> I’m not sure why he’s not doing music for the next game

He works for Bungie. Bungie isn’t making Halo anymore.

Well, the reason Marty is not going to be doing it is because he is an employee of Bungie.

Also, I don’t think it will have the same feel and vibe that Marty has brought in his work experience in all the Halo’s. But this guy that they have might be fairly okay, so let’s just hope for the best.

:smiley:

ahh okay. I didn’t realize that Marty worked for bungie itself. Thanks for that.

I’m just expecting it to be bad, because of the general quality of our music industry today. Everything is computerized without any depth. 343 hasn’t impressed me yet, and I just have a feeling that they’ll be cutting corners on an element that most people don’t see very important to a video game.

> I just have a feeling that they’ll be cutting corners on an element that most people don’t see very important to a video game.

MS is certainly not afraid of cutting corners. But if they do, the music is hardly something they’ll be likely to cut corners on; not in this series, with this reputation. If the music sucks, it’ll likely suck for stylistic reasons, not production values.

the music for halo wars was pretty good. that wasn’t composed by marty

> the music for halo wars was pretty good. that wasn’t composed by marty

I just gave that a listen and I have to say,“That was pretty damn good!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtruD10LTA Listen on from about 6:40, im sure youll find it interesting re music for Halo 4.

> the music for halo wars was pretty good. that wasn’t composed by marty

Exactly.

I’ve heard that the new audio director (can’t remember his name for the life of me) worked on MGS4, and apparently, the sound (not the music) was phenomenal. Can anyone who has actually played the game back this up?

[deleted]

> I’ve heard that the new audio director (can’t remember his name for the life of me) worked on MGS4, and apparently, the sound (not the music) was phenomenal. Can anyone who has actually played the game back this up?

I was about to ask this as well. I know the guy is already an industry name, but I don’t know that I’ve played anything he’s worked on. I think Halo is the only game music I’ve payed attention to, ever.

> I’ve heard that the new audio director (can’t remember his name for the life of me) worked on MGS4, and apparently, the sound (not the music) was phenomenal.

Sotaro Tojima was sound director for MGS4; Harry Gregson-Williams composed the music.