Up the Movement Speed in Halo 4 and Reach

One of my biggest problems in Reach is that the movement speed and jump height was reduced. Why is this a problem? Grenades! In Halo’s CE, 2, and 3, The grenades were fine. They were, and still are a huge part of the game. If you screw the nades up in a Halo game, the whole game just won’t be as high quality. When I play Reach, the grenades seem much more powerfull. Too powerfull! The reason is because you have very little chance to get away from them. You move much slower in Reach so running from nades isn’t as helpfull and you can’t jump high enough to avoid them. Many people are calling Reach nades, “mini nukes”. I think that that nickname suites them. When I play the older Halo’s however, the grenades are powerfull, but not overpowered. You can do a lot of damage with them, yet still have a good chance to survive them. Also, people that spam nades didn’t do to much damage. I have much more fun with nades in Halo 3 multiplayer than I do in Reach multiplayer because the nades got screwed up. They should definetely bring the movement to how it used to be in the older games.

Discuss.

It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:

1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.

2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.

> It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
>
> 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
>
> 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.

The maps should be smaller as it allows for intense combat. Sprint may make the normal running speed seem slower than it is, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s too slow. Only Halo games that have no/very small difference between movement speed are Halo CE and 2. Halo 3 has very low movement speed compared to these and Halo Reach has even lower. In Halo Reach I feel like I’m walking, it makes the game feel extremely slow.

I misworded it.

Your normal speed (your basically jogging-running, not sprinting) is the same as in the previous Halos. It’s just that having sprint and big maps make it seem like you move slower than the previous Halos when you’re actually moving at the same speed. This was proven by tests.

I’m actually not butthurt over movement speed. Up it by 10%, but that’s it. Jump height should be higher though. On the topic of grenades, they are overpowered. They don’t bounce right either.

a LITTLE bit. and jump height too.

What about in team classic? They upped the movement speed in that playlist as well as jump height and it feels a lot more like the original games than if they had kept the movement at default.

> It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
>
> 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
>
> 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.

In CE the grenades were worse than Reach.

> What about in team classic? They upped the movement speed in that playlist as well as jump height and it feels a lot more like the original games than if they had kept the movement at default.
>
> > It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
> >
> > 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
> >
> > 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.

Team classic’s movement just feels “awkward” to me at least. Wouldn’t feel too nice if that spread to the rest of the game.

> What about in team classic? They upped the movement speed in that playlist as well as jump height and it feels a lot more like the original games than if they had kept the movement at default.
>
> > It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
> >
> > 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
> >
> > 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.

dude no no

its been PROVEN…
actually where is this proof?

and team classic doesn’t have a problem with grenades

> In CE the grenades were worse than Reach.

No they were not. The fuses were longer and you moved top speed instantly, there was no build up like in H3 and reach. In CE you could actually get away from nades even though they were just as strong as reach.

Also kills fromt eh pistol came so fast that grenades didnt have such a noticeable effect unlike in reach where it takes MUCH longer to kill with guns alone

I played reach for like… a year now. I just came back to Halo 3 to get some easy achievements on my new account. I am moving faster and jumping higher. There is no denying that. It’s very obvious.

The Jump Height doesn’t bug me at all. If anything, Halo 2 and 3 was too much. But the movement speed should be upped, and maps in Halo 4 expanded to compensate.

Up the jump height so we can actually jump over a ghost or warthog barreling at us again, and up the player speed a bit and/or decrease map size so it doesn’t take forever to get anywhere without using the teleporters or sprint on a map like hemorrhage.

> > What about in team classic? They upped the movement speed in that playlist as well as jump height and it feels a lot more like the original games than if they had kept the movement at default.
> >
> > > It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
> > >
> > > 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
> > >
> > > 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.
>
> dude no no
>
> its been PROVEN…
> actually where is this proof?
>
> and team classic doesn’t have a problem with grenades

You tell me…

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/8637.aspx

> > > What about in team classic? They upped the movement speed in that playlist as well as jump height and it feels a lot more like the original games than if they had kept the movement at default.
> > >
> > > > It’s been poven that the speeds of each Halo game is actually the same. There are two reasons why you think you are slow:
> > > >
> > > > 1. The maps are huge compared to Halo 3.
> > > >
> > > > 2. Sprint makes the normal running speed seem slow due to perception.
> >
> > dude no no
> >
> > its been PROVEN…
> > actually where is this proof?
> >
> > and team classic doesn’t have a problem with grenades
>
> You tell me…
>
> http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/8637.aspx

That test isn’t nearly accurate enough to be tought as reliable. First of all, we don’t know are any of the objects same sized in each game. The tests were made with Warthog, it’s size could have changed with each game. I agree that map sizes play a huge part,but something that also plays huge part is movement acceleration and deceleration and also field of view. Having a wide field of view and little acceleration and no deceleration in CE, paired with relatively small maps made the gameplay fast.

I really don’t care is it about map size or movement speed, as long as the game plays fast, something that the supposedly faster Reach doesn’t do, but the supposedly slower Halo games do.

We have no way of knowing which game had the actual fastest speed except by finding the default speed from somewhere in the games’ coding. Other than that, any test made doesn’t have any real value. I refuse to believe that Reach has the fastest movement speed when I feel like I can barely move and when 125% speed feels somewhat like the previous games.

Don’t know if you know this but in Halo Reach you play as a Spartan III and in Halo 4 you play as a Spartan II.

Movement speed needs to be increased, nades need to have a longer fuse, and they should take out that deafening effect the nades have.

+15% movement speed, +jump height.

i agree.

I think a little bump in speed would be good, but for me it’ll be even more important for them to get rid of the sluggish movement acceleration (not sure if that’s the right term) so direction changes are more responsive and strafing is brought back into the gameplay.