Unsc Ship Armour

Why does the unsc even use armour if it barley even helps them? Don’t covenant weapons melt right through unsc ships ?

'Cause going in with no armour is a great idea!

because if they wouldnt have armor, they wouldnt simply get partial damage but the covenant ships could just fire to critical parts destroying the whole ship. At least when ships have armor they have a chance to fight and survive. Sure most ships cant take a shot from covenant capital ships but they can still hold fire from smaller armaments of the covenant ships. Like in Halo: Reach the frigate could take quite a few shots before getting destroyed by corvette but of course the larger ships can destroy the smaller ships because they carry larger armament like in Reach again, with the carrier firing the glassing beam directly on top of the frigate. So basically i dont see the point of this question since its the best armor human ships have and it can still hold fire from many covenant armaments.

Even though Covenant ship based energy weapons are very effective against human ships, it is not to say it is useless.

Titanium A armour has a high heat resistance so it dissipates heat quickly. Also layering armour determines how much damage a ship could take. When both of these are combined it is what gives UNSC ships the ability to take considerable amount of damage to their superstructure and still be relatively combat effective.

What you must also take into account is the fact that the Covenant didn’t always destroy a ship out right but mostly rendered it combat ineffective. Taking advantage of where most UNSC ship bridges where placed at the front of the ship meant that one shot there would render the ship without command and control. Combine that with shots to the main reactor compartment, MAC coils and critical junctions on the ship and you have taken it off the battlefield but still have it available for boarding and gaining Intelligence.

Hope that answers your question. If it doesn’t feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can. Merry Christmas.

because if they wouldnt have armor, they wouldnt simply get partial damage but the covenant ships could just fire to critical parts destroying the whole ship. At least when ships have armor they have a chance to fight and survive. Sure most ships cant take a shot from covenant capital ships but they can still hold fire from smaller armaments of the covenant ships. Like in Halo: Reach the frigate could take quite a few shots before getting destroyed by corvette but of course the larger ships can destroy the smaller ships because they carry larger armament like in Reach again, with the carrier firing the glassing beam directly on top of the frigate. So basically i dont see the point of this question since its the best armor human ships have and it can still hold fire from many covenant armaments.

Because it does help by a little. Just think, if there was no armour, then the covenant could easily pinpoint reactors and computer systems and develop devastating new tactics, making naval combat suicidal. If it can’t protect, it can atleast mask locations of important areas on ships.

Well, it still helps them doesn’t it? I mean, you even said it barely helps. Despite it meaning little, that slight amount could still mean the difference between getting completely destroyed and getting away.

Plus, without armor, it would have been hard for the UNSC to engage in ship-to-ship combat against some of the larger Insurrectionist groups.

The armor not only serves as a defense against weaponry and engagement, but it also protects the entire crew from dangerous radiation in space, space debris, and more importantly, serves a protective barrier from the dangers of slipspace.

The Covenant aren’t the only thing they have to worry about too. Titanium-A helps defend against micrometeorite hits, random space debris, radiation, etc.
The normal hazards a spacecraft faces.