Unresponsive / lag game controls

Seems like lately i’m starting to feel this more but the game controls are becoming slightly unresponsive or lagging when attempting to fire under heat.

I play quit a bit of swat and it has been feeling more like the controls are unresponsive under pressure. Hard to capture on video but basically ill be pulling the trigger and i’d say 1 out of 3 shots pulled doesn’t actually registers a fire. Same with the jet pack seems like when i need it, it doesn’t always work and when i dont need it or feel like it shouldn’t hold me in the air it works. The other issue I seem to find as a huge annoyance is the lag in the melee if you are partially in the air at all. Say falling or walking down the steps, it takes an additional .5 - 1.3 secs longer to decide if its going to melee or try a spartan slam. I feel like those should be an option to turn off, both the spartan slam and the hover in the air.

I know what you mean, I have also noticed that the controls seem a bit odd at times. I wondered if I’d just been playing too long and needed a break lol.

I know some things must be there by design, such as not being able to fire a rocket immediately after sprinting. But there’s other oddities that I’ve noticed, like pressing a button and it not registering at certain times.

Maybe try plugging your controller in? Apparently wireless controllers have a small latency, whereas wired ones are slightly lower. I’m trying it for a while to see if I notice a difference.

> 2533274808943703;1:
> Seems like lately i’m starting to feel this more but the game controls are becoming slightly unresponsive or lagging when attempting to fire under heat.
>
> I play quit a bit of swat and it has been feeling more like the controls are unresponsive under pressure. Hard to capture on video but basically ill be pulling the trigger and i’d say 1 out of 3 shots pulled doesn’t actually registers a fire. Same with the jet pack seems like when i need it, it doesn’t always work and when i dont need it or feel like it shouldn’t hold me in the air it works. The other issue I seem to find as a huge annoyance is the lag in the melee if you are partially in the air at all. Say falling or walking down the steps, it takes an additional .5 - 1.3 secs longer to decide if its going to melee or try a spartan slam. I feel like those should be an option to turn off, both the spartan slam and the hover in the air.

There is the option to turn off / change the way hover works. I also play an lot of swat and once I turned off hover no problem with in air melee.

I don’t see any options to turn it off and there is a major lag when hitting the melee button. They shouldn’t have tied those controls together what were they thinking. Jump and jump hold would have been a better optio n.

Irritating hope they give options to turn it off as well as stop messing with the controls. Seems like after last update they fixed aiming and now there is a lag or response issue.

Yes they do have some issues with the buttons.

@VirtualMark,
great idea that’s true there could be latency with the controller to console. Although I don’t feel like I’m seeing that with Seige,COD,Payday or hell destiny (though haven’t played that in months so we can’t count that one)

@Milkcheeze, Auto stabilize disables the stop and hover in the air. Perfect that’s one problem settled.

YES… I have noticed this too! Really frustrating…

I’ll get caught switching weapons, sprinting/canceling my sprint due to the input lag… scoping even, has caused me some issues. Makes for some really uncomfortable situations when you get caught at the wrong time, all because the game isn’t responding correctly. Ugh.

Lickmyb4c0n
i agree there is some definite input lag going on and I don’t think it’s latency between controller and console. I mentioned the aim problem way back right when it happend and I was told there wasn’t a problem but I felt there was and many others reported same issue. Another issue I’m starting to notice is a random magnet or lock on a player similar to a aim assist but not quit I can’t put my finger on it. Basically when it happens I over correct and jump all over in the aim for a split second. Granted I could just be getting crappy and need to get good again haha I’m not saying that’s not a possibility either just putting out what I’m seeing / feeling

I notice a l9t of players lagging lately and my bullets not working alot

DarkAngel,
thats a good point didn’t really think of that it’s possible they limited server resources causing latency. Not sure why they would do that other then to save some money or maybe it’s something about this competition I skimmed about when starting halo haha no idea.

I"m glad somebody said something about this… I thought maybe it was just me and I was going crazy…

I notice it with other games I play, not just halo… I think it’s just a crappy microsoft product

Issue #1: Swap Weapon (Y) is negative edge triggered. Meaning, you don’t swap your weapon till you release Y, not when press it. I have found this gets confused when multiple actions are taken and can be overridden (one does not swap, though they did have the timing on tap but not release).
Fix: Make Swap Weapon positive/leading edge.

Issue #2: Melee in the air is negative trigger due to GP. Even if we tap melee in the air, it still doesn’t activate as smoothly as it does when on the ground… It’s like the inverse issue of Assassinations instead of Back-breaks.
Not only is there a brand new memory timing needed to get an aerial melee, latency can cause misfires.
Fix A: Make aerial melees occur no matter a tap or hold. A Spartan’s animation will go from melee to GP if held. The start-up is different, the GP is not.
Fix B: Add in an Advanced GP option. GP can only be activated from Hover Mode. My issue completely fixed as far as my edged inputs go and those without the dexterity and/or controller can still have the “easier” way.

EDIT: nvm, I quoted another post, but it was about game lag, not input lag…sorry bout that!

@DeadlyFartCloud,
No problem it happens and that’s also a concern as well so don’t hesitate to post your feed back.

@thy ReaperMC
These are certainly a few of the annoying and I would consider high priority issues as well. Thanks for bringing them to light anything we can mention and keep mentioning to the developers will help them see what issues to work on and hopefully improve the game for all of us who enjoy playing it.

Try changing your safe zone percentages in the settings.

I’ve noticed this too. I would start a Warzone game and see that there is somewhat of a delay on my Spartans action relative to my controller input

@Sushi Shikigami
Yes I have tired adjusting the dead zone, currently right now I’m set to 0% for both inner and outer. I’m set this way cause with the elite controller I do not have any drift or drag. Until the controller wears more and I start noticing and needing to increase that from 0% that’s currently where I’m set at. Thanks for the tip though. Also I’m assuming by safe zone you mean the dead zone. If no please let me know

@Uns3N K1lL Sh0t
Thanks for the voice on the matter. Keep placing your input here so we can be herd on the matter if it is in deed any issue.

> 2533274808943703;1:
> I play quit a bit of swat and it has been feeling more like the controls are unresponsive under pressure. Hard to capture on video but basically ill be pulling the trigger and i’d say 1 out of 3 shots pulled doesn’t actually registers a fire.

I am trying to transition from Destiny to Halo 5 and I completely relate to the issue you described. There does appear to be a period of unresponsiveness from the time I pull the trigger/push a button to the time I fire my weapon/perform an action. Sometimes it takes multiple actions, this is extremely evident in the Weekend Rocket party playlist this week. I found that on average I need to pull the trigger 2 times in order to fire my first rocket. I know that there is a cooldown period between shots; however, when I pull for the first shot the rocket, I would assume, should fire instantaneously.

This sort of thing has been causing me all sorts of issues in matchmaking when it comes to aiming and firing my weapon under pressure. In the time that I pull the trigger and aim, the delay in the sticks and trigger usually end up causing me to aim wide and miss my target. I repeat these steps over and over again until I end up dead or luck out. Needless to say this is outrageously annoying and has lead to many shameful rage quits (the mike is off, I just DC, it’s a personal problem and I’m working on it). I know that this is most likely an expectancy error on my behalf, but after playing other competitive FPS games such as 500+ hours in Destiny and an additional 200+ hours in Titanfall with the same controls and extremely similar controller responsiveness, this discrepancy is quite easy to identify in Halo 5.

I’m pretty sure that I can rule out the controller itself, as I am using a recently purchased elite. I have mirrored my button map from Destiny/Titanfall to Halo 5 but I consistently experience a control input latency responsiveness issue when I enter an action into my controller. I have been toying around in Settings>Controller and I am currently:

• Buttons: Green Thumb*
  • Thumbsticks: Default layout
  • Look Sensitivity: 8
  • Look Acceleration: 4
  • Look Inversion: On
  • Clench Protection: Off
  • Inner Dead Zone: 8%
  • Outer Dead Zone: 12%* I have mapped LB to RB and RB to LB

For all I know this is an issue I can fix by finding the sweet spot when correctly balancing the sensitivity, acceleration, inner and outer dead zones but I have not had much luck as of yet.

Has anyone else experiencing this issue uncovered a solution? I would very much like to continue to dive into this game but my patience is starting to wear thin.

I’ve noticed that when I switch weapons, I can’t fire immediately, like switching from AR to shotty I end up dying because I can’t shoot before I get meleed