Unpopular Opinion: The Master Chief and the Arbiter should be playable characters in ODST Firefight

Better yet, let us play as our custom Spartan and Elite characters from Halo 3 multiplayer as well, along with the ability to dual-wield and use equipment.

ODST purists will automatically say “no” to this sort of thing, but they could always have an option to toggle Spartans and Elites “off”, or restrict it to certain game types and Custom Firefight just like how Halo: Reach handles playable Elites.

I would especially appreciate being able to play as the Arbiter in Firefight since you can’t play as him in Halo 3 outside of co-op campaign, and not if you’re the host.

EDIT: In case it needs to be said, this is something I want for CUSTOM Firefight. I don’t give a rip about matchmaking, I don’t play Firefight matchmaking at all, I exclusively play Custom Firefight. Having the option to play as Spartans and Elites in customs would in no way be a detriment to Firefight matchmaking.

3 Likes

If you want to play Halo 3, just play Halo 3. What your suggesting is literally equal to saying “they should just remove H2A, remove its features, and port all its maps to Halo 4” or “Elites should be removed from Reach Invasion because Spartans vs Spartans is better for MLG gameplay”

While it is seen, and to an extent functions as, Halo 3’s Firefight; it is not. ODST is meant to be ODST, not Halo 3. It would have been a different story if they had ported a merged Halo 3&ODST over MCC.

I consider myself somewhat of an “ODST Purist”, and I actually think custom Elites and Spartans would be a great idea for a more casual gametype that occasionally shows up in matchmaking. Equipment would also be interesting in this gametype. To counteract your recharging shields, faster movement speed, higher jump height, and Equipment, more difficult enemies could spawn. Brutes and Elites, all with more power weapons and longer ranged weapons.

I don’t see why options like this offend some people. ODST’s campaign is what should remain untouched. Firefight was always the extra mode. If anything, the bottomless magazine on Brute Shots in Grenade Fight is what needs to be removed. That’s something that’s actually broken and takes away from the appeal of infinitely respawning hand grenades. All in all, one of the pillars of ODST Firefight is all about keeping some level of challenge so it doesn’t become boring like Fuel Rod Fight in Reach.

I also hope classic Firefight stays completely vanilla and has priority weighting of you don’t select game modes.

1 Like

As far as being able to play as other characters I would say sure, MCC has the ability to turn off skins so traditionalist could turn them off. But adding new equipment, I would say only if it’s in a new playlist. That really changes the game. But I can see it being more fun with additional equipment (especially if the enemy AI can use it as well).

I am all for adding stuff to the game as long as there is always a way to play the classics as close to original as possible. Adding new stuff is what will bring players back. Players want new experiences, new maps… Kinda unrelated but related I would love to see incineration grenades added to H3 multiplayer, we have them in campaign why not multiplayer? They would be great in multiplayer (social only of course)

But I just want more H2 maps remastered for H2A, water works, terminal, Colossus, terf, backwash…

1 Like

To counteract your recharging shields, faster movement speed, higher jump height, and Equipment, more difficult enemies could spawn. Brutes and Elites, all with more power weapons and longer ranged weapons.

That’s not necessary. ODST Firefight would still be plenty challenging even with recharging shields on the default settings. If you want to make it more challenging, use the custom game options.

If you want to play Halo 3, just play Halo 3.

Halo 3 doesn’t have Firefight.

What your suggesting is literally equal to saying “they should just remove H2A, remove its features, and port all its maps to Halo 4” or “Elites should be removed from Reach Invasion because Spartans vs Spartans is better for MLG gameplay”

What sort of mental gymnastics did you have to perform to draw those comparisons? All I’m suggesting is that they add more Custom Firefight options to ODST.

The same gymnastics made trying to justify adding content that would fundamentally alter ODST’s gameplay at its core, and excusing such changes by claiming a toggle makes it optional when it really doesnt, and would honestly take away from both the game being its own thing, and the developers ability to finish and improve upon what’s already there since they would now have to spread development over 2 separate games just to work on either.