unOFFicial BTB thread! share ideas/thoughts

I’m hoping that BTB this time around is different than just being Slayer with more people and bigger maps. With the power of next gen, and 343’s desire to redefine Halo multiplayer, I hope that we’ll get something similar to an all out war on a large scale. I am not sure how I’d feel about 64 player BTB but I think there’s a lot of potential in a new take on the mode.

I’m sure we’re going to have loadouts return for BTB and hopefully Invasion can make a comeback as well. Having bigger and more cooperative vehicles would really get peoples attention and be totally awesome. Just imagine a game of Invasion where the Elites get to use a Scarab and the Spartans can either board and destroy it like the Master Chief himself or use other vehicles to fight it (Scorpion, Hornet, Target Designator?). Imagine driving a Mammoth around and using it to transport a flag carrier while having all your teammates in turrets that are on the Mammoth to fight off Banshees and stuff.

Also, we could see this still being a part of War Games, but the battles that are being simulated could be historical battles throughout the Human-Covenant war.

The Halo universe is ripe for new game modes and I think an evolution of BTB is in order.

Thoughts?

bump

more vehicles on the map
like scorpions

I concur. Halo’s legacy from CE of big team battles, huge, diverse sandbox and expansive maps has been largely forgotten thanks to the competitive community and its preferred arena slayer with tiny maps and no weapons but the BR.
Halo 5 Guardians needs to get back to its roots and make epic battles for multiplayer.
What about Covenant vs UNSC multiplayer?
One team spawns as Spartan-IVs with AI Marines and ODSTs as gunners/drivers/support/distractions, along the lines of Titanfall, and with UNSC weapons and vehicles. The other team plays as Elites with Jackal and Grunt AI support, thus enabling huge battles of the type always depicted in lore but never in gameplay before. Imagine that kind of multiplayer!

Also, by way of mentioning H5G multiplayer, I think the way coop should be handled in H5G is that when other players join Locke or the Chief, that they play as their own customized Spartan-IV from multiplayer, thus integrating multiplayer into the lore without the need for Spartan Ops. Any thoughts on that?

> 2533275034118914;4:
> I concur. Halo’s legacy from CE of big team battles, huge, diverse sandbox and expansive maps has been largely forgotten thanks to the competitive community and its preferred arena slayer with tiny maps and no weapons but the BR.
> Halo 5 Guardians needs to get back to its roots and make epic battles for multiplayer.
> What about Covenant vs UNSC multiplayer?
> One team spawns as Spartan-IVs with AI Marines and ODSTs as gunners/drivers/support/distractions, along the lines of Titanfall, and with UNSC weapons and vehicles. The other team plays as Elites with Jackal and Grunt AI support, thus enabling huge battles of the type always depicted in lore but never in gameplay before. Imagine that kind of multiplayer!
>
> Also, by way of mentioning H5G multiplayer, I think the way coop should be handled in H5G is that when other players join Locke or the Chief, that they play as their own customized Spartan-IV from multiplayer, thus integrating multiplayer into the lore without the need for Spartan Ops. Any thoughts on that?

The playing as your own Spartan idea is great. What you mentioned (I bolded it) would be a great evolution of Invasion. Good ideas sir!

> 2533275034118914;4:
> I concur. Halo’s legacy from CE of big team battles, huge, diverse sandbox and expansive maps has been largely forgotten thanks to the competitive community and its preferred arena slayer with tiny maps and no weapons but the BR.
> Halo 5 Guardians needs to get back to its roots and make epic battles for multiplayer.
> What about Covenant vs UNSC multiplayer?
> One team spawns as Spartan-IVs with AI Marines and ODSTs as gunners/drivers/support/distractions, along the lines of Titanfall, and with UNSC weapons and vehicles. The other team plays as Elites with Jackal and Grunt AI support, thus enabling huge battles of the type always depicted in lore but never in gameplay before. Imagine that kind of multiplayer!
>
> Also, by way of mentioning H5G multiplayer, I think the way coop should be handled in H5G is that when other players join Locke or the Chief, that they play as their own customized Spartan-IV from multiplayer, thus integrating multiplayer into the lore without the need for Spartan Ops. Any thoughts on that?

BTB in CE is horrific, its just sparse canyons with pistol sniping,

Thay being said a titanfall style play would be crispy

Judging by the last couple of months, we should be grateful if it even works.

Seriously though, I wonder if Bungie’s “War Games” concept (or w/e it was called) will ever be pursued. Maybe as a spin-off title that is strictly MM only in order to compensate for the grand scale of it?

It would be cool to get the Sangheili (elites) back into Halo’s multiplayer, and since 343 seems like they’re going to be separating BTB with the arena combat in Halo 5 Guardians, a large scale, all-out battle between covenant and humans seems perfect. Fiction wise, I think it’d go a little something like this:

The Infinity’s War Games sim displays a famous battle from Halo Lore (i.e. the Fall of Reach, First Contact on Harvest, Battle of New Mombasa) and the player’s either put on a human frigate as a Spartan, or on a covenant capital ship as an Elite. After a brief pep-talk cutscene with a famous Halo character higher-up: Half-Jaw, Lord Hood, anyone with a -Yoink!- in my ears type voice, the player would drop onto a virtual battlefield. Now, the battle itself would be going on around you between the lesser covenant species, and UNSC marines, while the Spartans and elites would be given a high value target to battle over (This would probably consist of a comms relay, or an AA gun). This would make running through marines with energy swords fun, but still kind of unnecessary.

Their doesn’t necessarily have to be a lot of these at launch, and the DLC possibilities with this kind of concept are virtually endless. I mean, I would pay 15 dollars for a map pack with just one of these. It would be a cool, more in-depth look at the history of Halo’s rich lore, while simultaneously providing a fresh new experience to Halo’s multiplayer that I think people are begging for.

I just want to be able to drive a vehicle without having everything under the sun in my way (halo 4)

honestly, the whole reason why halo has kept to smallish btb is to make it so the individual actually matters in the cog of the team, this isn’t a bad thing, what i beleive teh natural evolution for btb would be would be a minor size increase, (up to 12v12,) and to put a large focus on 8v8v8 combat instead of the normal 8v8.

I agree man. Someone should start an official btb thread

> 2533274794052092;10:
> honestly, the whole reason why halo has kept to smallish btb is to make it so the individual actually matters in the cog of the team, this isn’t a bad thing, what i beleive teh natural evolution for btb would be would be a minor size increase, (up to 12v12,) and to put a large focus on 8v8v8 combat instead of the normal 8v8.

I think we could do with more players than that. 64 might be a bit much, but maybe between 30-40 players max is a good sweet spot?

16vs16 players
wider landscapes with new objective modes (like siege)
new vehicles
space skirmishes

I would love to see some massive matches like 12-16 on a team, but as with MCC, the matchmaking system can barely pair 8 people together.

I never see tanks on the maps anymore which is sad due to what they can contribute. Furthermore, less anti-vehicle weapons for infantry type folks to pick up. This will make vehicle battles much more important, but we still need to give the little guy a chance.

The maps also need to be much larger like in Halo 3. Hopefully y’all remember how massive Sandbox was.

> 2533274873910058;13:
> 16vs16 players
> wider landscapes with new objective modes (like siege)
> new vehicles
> space skirmishes

This is what I’d hope to see. I’m also very intrigued by the idea of having Titanfall-like bots running around to make it feel like a huge battle and to serve as cannon fodder, but also to direct the flow of battle. Maybe we could even upgrade them through capturing bases and they get increased health, or they could get a grenade?

“Official Thread”…

343 must be planning on doing a TON of changes to btb… that or they have completely neglected it and we’ll see normal slayer on bigger maps + vehicles. I cant see there being an in-between with no BTB in the beta. With the new mechanics btb maps are going to be night and day different than maps of Halo Past and thus will require different tweaks to vehicles (speed and maneuverability etc) not to mention seeing what the Ground Pound will do to vehicles and how they interact. New Gametypes… new Weapons… still no btb in the beta…
With the new faster kill times, regardless of what you think of them, BTB will become immensely more difficult. Team Shotting has always been an important factor in competitive BTB (Heck, any BTB) and with DMR’s, snipers, and the vehicles spartans will get wrecked in any open field map like Blood Gulch or Valhalla. That said any smaller map or one with a lot of cover will make Warthogging useless, especially with how mobile spartans are now. Thrust, sprint, sticky, thrust away… Yes there are many many ways to avoid infantry but I just think, especially with no BTB in the beta, its going to be WAY TOO tough to find the perfect balance of mobility, Health/Tankyness, and damage between spartan and vehicle.

My “Official BTB Feedback” would be for 343i to give us some BTB to play and let us see what is in store so we can improve it!

> 2533274824183918;16:
> “Official Thread”…
>
> 343 must be planning on doing a TON of changes to btb… that or they have completely neglected it and we’ll see normal slayer on bigger maps + vehicles. I cant see there being an in-between with no BTB in the beta. With the new mechanics btb maps are going to be night and day different than maps of Halo Past and thus will require different tweaks to vehicles (speed and maneuverability etc) not to mention seeing what the Ground Pound will do to vehicles and how they interact. New Gametypes… new Weapons… still no btb in the beta…
> With the new faster kill times, regardless of what you think of them, BTB will become immensely more difficult. Team Shotting has always been an important factor in competitive BTB (Heck, any BTB) and with DMR’s, snipers, and the vehicles spartans will get wrecked in any open field map like Blood Gulch or Valhalla. That said any smaller map or one with a lot of cover will make Warthogging useless, especially with how mobile spartans are now. Thrust, sprint, sticky, thrust away… Yes there are many many ways to avoid infantry but I just think, especially with no BTB in the beta, its going to be WAY TOO tough to find the perfect balance of mobility, Health/Tankyness, and damage between spartan and vehicle.
>
> My “Official BTB Feedback” would be for 343i to give us some BTB to play and let us see what is in store so we can improve it!

Forgive me for my deception lol I just want to engage as many people into a discussion as possible. I think that the kill times and such that you are talking about wouldn’t be as big of an issue if BTB was more objective based, rather than picking off everyone you see from a cliff.

> 2533274833600810;17:
> Forgive me for my deception lol I just want to engage as many people into a discussion as possible. I think that the kill times and such that you are talking about wouldn’t be as big of an issue if BTB was more objective based, rather than picking off everyone you see from a cliff.

What I’m saying is there can’t be any cliffs because if two spartans got on top, they could decimate the enemy team. DMRs, BRs, and snipers have good solid range and with descoping and team shotting its GG. We’ve all been stuck in a spawn trap in the Gulch before… objective or slayer. It will happen quicker now if they put in any kind of power position close enough to the base to be abused by the enemy.

> 2533274824183918;18:
> > 2533274833600810;17:
> > Forgive me for my deception lol I just want to engage as many people into a discussion as possible. I think that the kill times and such that you are talking about wouldn’t be as big of an issue if BTB was more objective based, rather than picking off everyone you see from a cliff.
>
>
>
> What I’m saying is there can’t be any cliffs because if two spartans got on top, they could decimate the enemy team. DMRs, BRs, and snipers have good solid range and with descoping and team shotting its GG. We’ve all been stuck in a spawn trap in the Gulch before… objective or slayer. It will happen quicker now if they put in any kind of power position close enough to the base to be abused by the enemy.

Yeah spawn traps suck. If the map isn’t designed as a dead end then it could work, if you had bases to capture then you could spawn in different places. That would make it much harder to spawn trap.

No sprint.

Emphasis on vechiles.