unnecessary remake

I bought the hype and, thus, bought the game. I have to hand it to 343 - they certainly made the old game I enjoyed an even more amazing visual treat! The old game I loved was brought in line with the newer ones I love (Reach and ODST), at least visually.

With that said, as I play the “new” old game, I am reminded of many of the frustrating aspects of the original that subsequent games in the Halo series attempted to correct. These new fixes, it seems, could have been better incorporated into this new version. But for me, perhaps the most concerning issue is why I spent 40 dollars on a “Reach-ification” of Halo:CE that doesn’t allow me to do any of the things I was able to do in Reach in the old game. I understand preserving the feel and aesthetics of the original. But for the money, I would have expected something more than just a new coat of paint on an old game. I find myself trying to remember all the ways to skip large sections of the game, just to get it finished.

Yes, it looks great! Yes, we all hold the old game in reverence. Yes, it brings back great memories. But we have also seen several well-made revisionings of older games that preserved the original intent while presenting something new. Master Chief comes off as a five and dime version of the Reach Spartans, albeit with snazzier (to some degree) details to his armor. There are only a few of the multi-player maps redone. Do I smell DLC coming? For more money? Again, I’ve played this game before and I don’t really understand what is so compelling about this new redo that makes me want to go through the trouble to play it all over again. Xbox points?

Avoid this one new - get it at the used store or just borrow a copy of the original game and squint while you play it!

I actually thought the coat of paint campaign portion was done fairly well, the MP portion could have been significantly improved over what was delivered. IMHO. None of my friends even played the campaign, we just played it for the MP. Frankie is a little out of touch as to what the gaming community actually wants.

I think to completely remake it would have been a waste of time. I just wished they would have put the original CE MP in there.

MS wants to have some type of Halo release every year like COD.

> Frankie is a little out of touch as to what the gaming community actually wants.

The thing is, the Halo gaming community is divided on what they wanted with CEA. I’d been hoping for a Halo: CE remake since Halo 3 came out, and I wanted the campaign with newer graphics and sounds. I also wanted a drivable wraith and the weapons reworked a bit but what we got was good enough imo. So, he knew what some of us wanted at least.

> I actually thought the coat of paint campaign portion was done fairly well, the MP portion could have been significantly improved over what was delivered. IMHO. None of my friends even played the campaign, we just played it for the MP. Frankie is a little out of touch as to what the gaming community actually wants.
>
> I think to completely remake it would have been a waste of time. I just wished they would have put the original CE MP in there.
>
> MS wants to have some type of Halo release every year like COD.

What was the point in buying it for the MP? Why didn’t you just buy the map pack? Everyone else who bought the game was mainly buying it for the Campaign, the maps were just a bonus. Most people remeber CE for the Campaign, not the multiplayer.

Also, the original Halo CE MP would be terrible online. There are so many things people could abuse. Seeing as Halo CE had no online capabilites to begin with it would take over a year to make the game work online plus it wouldn’t play like the original Halo CE MP. Things would have to be changed for online.

And no, Frankie confirmed that Halo won’t be released annualy. He said it might work for other games (eg CoD) but not for Halo.

I’m glad 343 made Halo CEA like they did. IMO they did a great job and made some good choices.

You “bought the hype”? What does that mean? Unless you did zero research, there’s no way you couldn’t have known exactly what the HCEA was, what it had, and what it didn’t have.

It doesn’t bother me that you’re not amazed. Opinions are opinions, and everyone has different tastes. It bothers me that you seem to think 343 held back some very important information, when in reality they had everything out in the open for the customer to review. The whole point was to bring back a piece of nostalgia as perfectly preserved as possible, and 343 did it.

For my part, I’m sorry it didn’t meet your expectations; but then, your expectations don’t effect my experience. And my experience is telling my I’m having a ton of fun.

> But for me, perhaps the most concerning issue is why I spent 40 dollars on a “Reach-ification” of Halo:CE that doesn’t allow me to do any of the things I was able to do in Reach in the old game. I understand preserving the feel and aesthetics of the original. But for the money, I would have expected something more than just a new coat of paint on an old game.

343 left Halo CE gameplay untouched. How is that a “Reach-ification” of the game? You make it sound like 343 put jet packs and armor lock into the Halo CE campaign. That would be a “Reach-ification.”

If you want to drive wraiths and ghosts in campaign, then why don’t you just say that? CEA does a great job of what it set out to do–make the graphics playable for 2011. I don’t see what hype you bought into that isn’t in the game.

things that are also unnecessary:

video games
the internet
message boards
Halo

> I bought the hype and, thus, bought the game. I have to hand it to 343 - they certainly made the old game I enjoyed an even more amazing visual treat! The old game I loved was brought in line with the newer ones I love (Reach and ODST), at least visually.
>
> With that said, as I play the “new” old game, I am reminded of many of the frustrating aspects of the original that subsequent games in the Halo series attempted to correct. These new fixes, it seems, could have been better incorporated into this new version. But for me, perhaps the most concerning issue is why I spent 40 dollars on a “Reach-ification” of Halo:CE that doesn’t allow me to do any of the things I was able to do in Reach in the old game. I understand preserving the feel and aesthetics of the original. But for the money, I would have expected something more than just a new coat of paint on an old game. I find myself trying to remember all the ways to skip large sections of the game, just to get it finished.
>
> Yes, it looks great! Yes, we all hold the old game in reverence. Yes, it brings back great memories. But we have also seen several well-made revisionings of older games that preserved the original intent while presenting something new. Master Chief comes off as a five and dime version of the Reach Spartans, albeit with snazzier (to some degree) details to his armor. There are only a few of the multi-player maps redone. Do I smell DLC coming? For more money? Again, I’ve played this game before and I don’t really understand what is so compelling about this new redo that makes me want to go through the trouble to play it all over again. Xbox points?
>
> Avoid this one new - get it at the used store or just borrow a copy of the original game and squint while you play it!

You completely missed point of the remake. And I mean, completely missed it.

This game was to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Halo by remaking the game that started it all. That meant, keeping EVERYTHING from the original game. Sure, later Halo games added great features, but if they would have added those to the remake, where would they stop? The goal was to preserve the original game as much as possible, otherwise 343i would have a mutiny on their hands.

The other purpose of the game, was to show just how far Halo has come in 10 years. What better way to drive that point home than preserving the original exactly as it was? Playing the original exactly as it was 10 years ago really made me appreciate just how far the game has come. Far more so, than if they would have added other modern elements to the game (besides that shiny new coat of paint).

> What was the point in buying it for the MP?

Exactly.

> Why didn’t you just buy the map pack? Everyone else who bought the game was mainly buying it for the Campaign, the maps were just a bonus.

Didn’t buy Reach, I rented CEA, but I might buy if it drops below $20.

> Most people remeber CE for the Campaign, not the multiplayer.

Funny, me and one friend are the only ones to even try the campaign, everyone I know bought for LAN parties and XBC. The Campaign was okay, would have been forgotten in a few month except the MP started a mini-Lan party craze. The campaign is really just a “Alien/Aliens” ripoff, its okay though.

> Also, the original Halo CE MP would be terrible online. There are so many things people could abuse. Seeing as Halo CE had no online capabilites to begin with it would take over a year to make the game work online plus it wouldn’t play like the original Halo CE MP. Things would have to be changed for online.

New netcode could have been put, so? The do it all the time, matter of fact it was done for Halo CE PC.

> And no, Frankie confirmed that Halo won’t be released annualy. He said it might work for other games (eg CoD) but not for Halo.

Some one forgot to tell MS, matter fact you can google MS saying they were looking at it.
Halo3 - 2007
Halo Wars - 2008
Halo ODST - 2009
Halo Reach - 2010
Halo CEA - 2011
Halo 4 - 2012

343 made it abundantly clear that it was the same exact engine, the same exact game. Knowing that, I’m not sure how anyone would expect them to fix a ton of issues.

It’s a $40 game; I think many of us set our expectations way too high.

Personally, I’ve been having a blast with Anniversary.

No other game this season has the sheer value that 343 has given us.

> None of my friends even played the campaign, we just played it for the MP. Frankie is a little out of touch as to what the gaming community actually wants.

Staggering failure of logic. 343i seems very in touch from where im sitting with this game.

The package as presented was excellent i feel and for a good price. The multiplayer stands on its own independent from Reach, thats why there is a menu option with its own version of reach multi but with no Reach logos anywhere youll note, and not just the DLC code. The code was just a thoughtful extra for the reach owners.

Honestly i think its a really good deal overall, more value than ODST (a comparable package) very enjoyable campaign, though you can tell it suffered somewhat around the edges from the no doubt crushing deadline of 10 years to the day since halo 1, as evidenced by the handful or rough edges etc. Still, no matter.

I think 343i have done rather well with it, and i did not feel it was unnecessary. I had my cash in concerns when it was announced, but it seems like they were unfounded.

Also protip, it is not “reachified” whatever thats supposed to mean, the campaign runs the original CE engine and then the Saber3D engine in sync to provide the new visuals layered over the old. Thats why you can switch back and forth between the old visuals and the new in situ and why the game feels so authentic, the the EXACT same engine and code as the original, it IS the original, just with the new engine providing the looks. Though i have a suspicion that they used the PC version of halo CE to make this game lol.

Remarkable really, ive never heard of a game running two engines at once in sync and for it to turn out so well, its probably quite a technical achievement.

Of course the multiplayer portion uses its own version of the Reach engine, so that makes 3 engines on one disc. Quite remarkable.

Final point, I tire of the naysaying, i really do. If you dont like the game, take it down to gamestop and spare the rest of us.

> Staggering failure of logic. 343i seems very in touch from where im sitting with this game.

There is no failure of logic, at least from me.

Let me see, 10 years people have been asking for Halo CE to have real netcode, what do they delivery, Halo Reach with a half–Yoink- pistol and what amounts to 4 maps. That is not in touch, that is very out of touch. The fill up a freaking disc with all these map variants, sorry I don’t get it.

As far as the campaign, it was actually done fairly well. A big nuthingburger without the CE MP, matter of fact, the MP between Reach and CEA seems just confusing as -Yoink- to me. It’s actually rather strange. Reach people mad because you have CE settings and CE fans mad because you have Reach guns and crap.

There is nothing about Reach that was like CE, Frankie has helped kill the Halo that started with CE, I think he has been with the company/s for like 8 years now.

This actually reminds of when Coke Cola went with the New Coke and the Classic Coke.

> > Staggering failure of logic. 343i seems very in touch from where im sitting with this game.
>
> There is no failure of logic, at least from me.
>
> Let me see, 10 years people have been asking for Halo CE to have real netcode, what do they delivery, Halo Reach with a half–Yoink!- pistol and what amounts to 4 maps. That is not in touch, that is very out of touch. The fill up a freaking disc with all these map variants, sorry I don’t get it.
>
> As far as the campaign, it was actually done fairly well. A big nuthingburger without the CE MP, matter of fact, the MP between Reach and CEA seems just confusing as Yoink! to me. It’s actually rather strange. Reach people mad because you have CE settings and CE fans mad because you have Reach guns and crap.
>
> There is nothing about Reach that was like CE, Frankie has helped kill the Halo that started with CE, I think he has been with the company/s for like 8 years now.
>
> This actually reminds of when Coke Cola went with the New Coke and the Classic Coke.

I agree with you, to a large degree. There is no reason why any Anniversary playlist should have Reach AA’s. It’s just bringing over the polluted gameplay of Reach and destroying what fans of Halo CE wanted. So, they give us a classic playlist that is an afterthought?

343’s decision to prop up Reach by merging Reach and CEA multiplayer was just more committee thinking from Microsoft. And it didn’t work, because Reach’s population continues to decline, while the CEA maps seen as just a map pack, which is not any big deal.

Imagine what true CEA multiplayer could have done for the franchise–giving us a full year of better MP leading up to Halo 4. Frankie is a smart guy, but he really blew this decision–or his hands were tied by MS, which maybe wouldn’t pay for a CEA multiplayer project.

I think it was a very good remake and they did a pretty good job with the multiplayer update. I’m glad I got to replay the old campaign I remember with a new visual layer. and the remade maps work very well. If it wasn’t for assasinations it would be like the Classic Anniversary playlist was the original Halo mp with improved physics. You really can’t complain. And if you regret buying it thats your own fault. There was a lot of information available about the game. The first Behind The Scenes was for multiplayer so you knew exactly what it was going to be. At least they put work into this remake instead of just making it shiny and throwing in some achievements. They got Reach graphics that were very well utilized, terminals that give a great amount of back story, skulls that are very ingenious, and dedicated remakes of classic multiplayer maps. I really don’t see how some people can’t truly appreciate this little gift 343i has given us.

In terms of a remake, CEA is one of the best ever made. It stay true to the original while adding neat features. As soon as you change something, the community would revolt.

> Imagine what true CEA multiplayer could have done for the franchise–giving us a full year of better MP leading up to Halo 4. Frankie is a smart guy, but he really blew this decision–or his hands were tied by MS, which maybe wouldn’t pay for a CEA multiplayer project.

You can go back to 2003/2004 and you can see Frankie’s updates, he despised Halo CE MP, hated the pistol, etc.

What the MP in CEA does is make virtually everyone not satisfied. I actually don’t think it’s that bad, but with what amounts to 4 real playable maps its not going to have any staying power.

The could have outsourced the MP, just like they did with a good portion of CEA. The other option would have been to just release a full product even with the Reach engine but no blending of the community, that way they could have put 10-13 maps on the disc.

> > Imagine what true CEA multiplayer could have done for the franchise–giving us a full year of better MP leading up to Halo 4. Frankie is a smart guy, but he really blew this decision–or his hands were tied by MS, which maybe wouldn’t pay for a CEA multiplayer project.
>
> You can go back to 2003/2004 and you can see Frankie’s updates, he despised Halo CE MP, hated the pistol, etc.
>
> What the MP in CEA does is make virtually everyone not satisfied. I actually don’t think it’s that bad, but with what amounts to 4 real playable maps its not going to have any staying power.
>
> The could have outsourced the MP, just like they did with a good portion of CEA. The other option would have been to just release a full product even with the Reach engine but no blending of the community, that way they could have put 10-13 maps on the disc.

If Frankie hated Halo CE, he’s in the wrong job.

> If Frankie hated Halo CE, he’s in the wrong job.

He hated the MP. Matter of fact, I said years ago if they remade the netcode or did a re-release that Frankie would F it up. At the end of the day, they went with the New Coke v. Classic Coke approach, horrible marketing idea.

They could have done this right, either they could have:

• Rereleased the old Halo CE MP with new netcode and added a XBL interface.
  • Actually make a new version based on Reach but without trying to implement the existing Reach community, this way they could have drastically changed the Reach engine/weapons/physics/etc. Also this would have allowed them to release 11-13 maps on the disc instead the stupidness they elected to do.

This whole lets not split up the community thing has made a sub-par release. IMHO Their community wouldn’t be dropping if they actually made good decisions to start with.

$40 for a visually improved $20 game and 7 new maps? I don’t see the issue.

> things that are also unnecessary:
>
> video games
> the internet
> message boards
> Halo

I haven’t been able to talk to actual friends in three years. As a result, everytime I talk to someone, I stutter. I’m reliant on those four things.