Unfortunate Solution to the "Freezing Forge" Bug?

I rarely Forge, but I love messing around at times, and I’ve noticed a TON of complaints regarding an issue that leaves players unable to resume editing a map they created. The scenario is as follows:

• Player edits a base map in Forge; time not detrimental. - Player deletes all neutral/team respawn points - Player saves - Player quits Forge and reloads map in ForgeThe resulting outcome, is that the game spawns you in a predetermined location on the map, usually within map geometry or in some location not usually accessed by the player. What is seen is a 0/64 with the Forge reticle in the middle of the screen. No controls are displayed, and the player is “trapped,” with the only means of escape is pressing Start and quitting Forge. The map cannot be worked on.

Something to note of this, is when viewing the Scoreboard, the player actually has yet to spawn, which may be the way the game handles spawning if there are no valid spawn points to spawn in on. This is because Forge is forced to use Teams and a combination of that with no seemingly hard-coded spawn points on the map. Past iterations of Halo that featured Forge had hard-coded spawns as a safeguard in case the player deleted all of the placed spawns by accident. I’m assuming every map on Halo 5 released to date is missing this sensitive data. So how does a player escape this conundrum?..

…They don’t. I’ve been testing for a couple hours and have only come up with this plausible solution:

• Players must have at least 1 active Neutral Respawn Point! The game seems to spawn you in Oracle form over a respawn point, rather than an Initial Spawn point! So even if you have Initial Spawns placed, the game will NOT spawn you in with the Initial Spawn Point! It MUST be a Respawn Point! - Initial Spawn Points do NOT seem to matter! Again, this seems to be because the game seems to spawn you in Oracle form over respawn points! - Players MAY have at least 1 active Team Respawn Point instead! While the best choice is using a Neutral Respawn point, you CAN use the Team-designated Respawn Points…However! If you start Forge as a Team Color that doesn’t have an active Team Respawn Point, then the game will not spawn you, rendering you “stuck” like you previously have experienced! You CAN, exit Forge, and reload the map as a Team that has an active Respawn Point, and the game WILL spawn you back in!So, unfortunately for those of you who have spent HOURS on maps and ran into this, PLEASE try and lay down at LEAST 1 of each type of spawn point that you can, especially NEUTRAL Respawns! It SHOULD save you in the long-run and I’m almost sure that’s where most of the problems are coming in at! The only grace of having your current projects saved is if 343 updates the game to automatically update the map files with a hard-coded spawn to let players back in.

Edit: Also, I’ve yet to try the “have a friend join in” scenario as no one has been on for me lately for Forge efforts, but my guess is if you cant spawn, then the game will likely throw another player into the same situation as yourself.

It ain’t the spawns. The map opens up in Slayer just fine and I never delete the ones they give you anyway because it’s convenient to have them around for later.

I also kept the cameras and everything. I like watching the Spartan intro animations when I’m bored (but mostly because I wouldn’t know how to set them up again if I removed them.) The problem is very apparent and it’s that the Monitor refuses to spawn properly, for whatever reason.

> 2535460843083983;2:
> It ain’t the spawns. The map opens up in Slayer just fine and I never delete the ones they give you anyway because it’s convenient to have them around for later.
>
> I also kept the cameras and everything. I like watching the Spartan intro animations when I’m bored (but mostly because I wouldn’t know how to set them up again if I removed them.) The problem is very apparent and it’s that the Monitor refuses to spawn properly, for whatever reason.

Have you made sure that you have Respawn points and not JUST Initial Spawns? Like I stated, the Forge gametype spawns you in Oracle form on a Respawn point, not Initial Spawns. So in Slayer, obviously you’ll spawn in, because Initial respawns are used for the 1st spawn point in the game.

So you’re telling me the hours I spent working on a map was for nothing? I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN!?!? Screw this $hit

> 2533274903586320;4:
> So you’re telling me the hours I spent working on a map was for nothing? I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN!?!? Screw this $hit

I know… you figure they would realize the very first thing players would do is blank a map and then save it. The fact that this bug is there makes me wonder how much testing they did.

> 2533274796542296;5:
> > 2533274903586320;4:
> > So you’re telling me the hours I spent working on a map was for nothing? I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN!?!? Screw this $hit
>
>
> I know… you figure they would realize the very first thing players would do is blank a map and then save it. The fact that this bug is there makes me wonder how much testing they did.

It’s honestly only because Forge wasn’t included with H5, and the hard-coded spawns weren’t needed at the time because of this. They released Forge, and the maps are still missing hard-coded spawns to prevent this issue. There’s several routes 343 can take to correct this, but what they decide to do and when, who knows.

Hope soon enough.

> 2533274903586320;7:
> Hope soon enough.

Seems some people are saying that having a friend join actually helps your effort. Can anyone verify this?

> 2533274795739611;8:
> > 2533274903586320;7:
> > Hope soon enough.
>
>
> Seems some people are saying that having a friend join actually helps your effort. Can anyone verify this?

Just tried having two players, no such success. And I have neutral respawn zones on the map.

The way it worked for me ( and may work for you ) was I loaded the map up like normal only to be stuck. I THEN invited a friend to join while stuck and they spawned in perfectly fine. Had him place a few spawn points and I was able to spawn right afterwards.
Hopefully this helps anyone out there. It was terribly frustrating for me and hopefully 343 makes an actual fix for this issue.

Hey guys, So this just happened to me. I added the map to my bookmarks, and then got on my brothers xbox and had him add my map to his bookmarks, and then get into the game. It took him straight to the frozen point that I had been at. After that I went back to my xbox and pulled up friends, and clicked to join his game, and it placed me on the map, and I can continue building. Don’t know if this will work for everybody but it worked for me on my first try.
Good Luck!!
Update: After I was in the game, I was able to find him where he was frozen at, and was able to push him around. I then took his controller and had full control of it again.

does anyone know how to fix my problem:
when I am playing halo 5 forge on my pc it’s fine for a little bit then freezes and I either have to wait or restart my computer. any fixes?