Unexplained Halo Wars 2 plot details

What is Atriox’s overall plan?

He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?

We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.

> 2533274958671328;2:
> We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.

That right there is a testament to how much of a failure Halo Wars 2’s story is.

> 2535465364486894;3:
> > 2533274958671328;2:
> > We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.
>
> That right there is a testament to how much of a failure Halo Wars 2’s story is.

At least it’s an improvement over Halo 5’s story

Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?

As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.

Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?

> 2533274954066077;4:
> > 2535465364486894;3:
> > > 2533274958671328;2:
> > > We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.
> >
> > That right there is a testament to how much of a failure Halo Wars 2’s story is.
>
> At least it’s an improvement over Halo 5’s story

No its really not. Halo 5’s campaign was awful too, but the gameplay was fantastic.

> 2535465364486894;6:
> > 2533274954066077;4:
> > > 2535465364486894;3:
> > > > 2533274958671328;2:
> > > > We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.
> > >
> > > That right there is a testament to how much of a failure Halo Wars 2’s story is.
> >
> > At least it’s an improvement over Halo 5’s story
>
> No its really not. Halo 5’s campaign was awful too, but the gameplay was fantastic.

Actually it really is, well to start:

• Halo Wars 2 actually has character development - The story is not disjointed and followed a clear narrative path, tho i admit it could’ve ended better - The old art style is Back!!!

> 2535465364486894;3:
> > 2533274958671328;2:
> > We probably have some campaign DLC coming to provide some of that information.
>
> That right there is a testament to how much of a failure Halo Wars 2’s story is.

But at least we’ll get extra campaign missions.
Having a campaign DLC allows people to get excited for the expansions to the story as a lot of people complete the base game quickly.

> 2535465364486894;1:
>
> What is Atriox’s overall plan?
>
> He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
>

I suspect that

Mendicant Bias might have had a role in teleporting the Spirit of Fire to the Ark just like he might have contributed to the Master Chief’s arrival at Requiem implied in the Halo 3 terminals. He’s still buried on the Ark, awaiting the call from humanity.

The Phoenix logs mention that Banished war material is being shipped to the Orion Arm. If he is in contact with the wider galaxy then he knows about Cortana.

Lets be honest here. Isabel was the only one who got character development and it’s fairly brief at that. Cutter was strongly presented. Red Team were good for cinematics but they’re basically Spartan 4’s in the character and dialogue department. Anders was just an irrelevance who seems to be there for light comic relief. Even her “moment” in the campaign manages to fall flat compared to the other three UNSC main characters.

I am sure if Blur had done cutscenes for Osiris, Chief and Cortana they would have been good.

> 2533274884722193;5:
>
> Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
>
> As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
>
> Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
>

The portal shut down when Cortana EMP blasted earth.

Anders and the Crew of SOF doesn’t know about what happend in H1,H2,H3,H4 and H5. Lost in space remember?

> 2533274888057089;9:
> > 2535465364486894;1:
> >
> > What is Atriox’s overall plan?
> >
> > He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
> >

>
> I suspect that
> Mendicant Bias might have had a role in teleporting the Spirit of Fire to the Ark just like he might have contributed to the Master Chief’s arrival at Requiem implied in the Halo 3 terminals. He’s still buried on the Ark, awaiting the call from humanity.

Either that, or Cortana. She could have an interest in getting the Halo array functional again in case of the flood

> 2533274859991958;11:
> > 2533274884722193;5:
> >
> > Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
> >
> > As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
> >
> > Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
> >

>
> The portal shut down when Cortana EMP blasted earth.
>
> Anders and the Crew of SOF doesn’t know about what happend in H1,H2,H3,H4 and H5. Lost in space remember?

Yeah but that’s the problem. Its a “startling revelation” to Anders that she sees the Guardian at the end of the game. But we the player are a lot more clued in about that and so theres a real disconnect between us and the characters. It isn’t a profound revelation that there are giant robot angels in the galaxy. It would have been cooler if she had instead ran into Atriox massive fleet or the Infinity. That would have had a bigger impact on the plot.

Actually in Halo Mythos it mentions that the Arks systems shut Cortana out because they perceived her as a hostile threat (why its only the Ark is beyond me but hey plot reasons) and so she can’t just use the Domain to assert her control on the Ark.

> 2535465364486894;1:
>
> What is Atriox’s overall plan?
>
> He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
>

1. Atriox did not make the ring.
  2. Isabel said that the Enduring Conviction brought the Banished to the Ark.
  3. Power is Atriox’s overall plan, not that difficult of a concept to grasp as it is obvious.

> 2533274884722193;5:
>
> Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
>
> As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
>
> Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
>

The Curator.

> 2533274829152751;14:
> > 2535465364486894;1:
> >
> > What is Atriox’s overall plan?
> >
> > He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
> >

>
> 1. Atriox did not make the ring.
> 2. Isabel said that the Enduring Conviction brought the Banished to the Ark.
> 3. Power is Atriox’s overall plan, not that difficult of a concept to grasp as it is obvious.
>
>
> > 2533274884722193;5:
> >
> > Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
> >
> > As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
> >
> > Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
> >

>
> The Curator.

More evidence the plot is garbage. Wow a villain’s unclear goals are power , who would’ve thought…

I understand the Supercarrier brought Atriox to the Ark. My question is how did he know its location. Portals are the only known way to reach it and its location was not known. Again lazy, stupid storytelling for sake of plot convenience.

Just like the Spirit of Fire ending up at the Ark unexplained (but hopefully will be)

From my understanding, Atriox did not create the new Halo. The Ark already had one being built long before Atriox arrived. Besides that I hope the DLC will show/tell us more.

> 2535465364486894;15:
> > 2533274829152751;14:
> > > 2535465364486894;1:
> > >
> > > What is Atriox’s overall plan?
> > >
> > > He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
> > >

> >
> > 1. Atriox did not make the ring.
> > 2. Isabel said that the Enduring Conviction brought the Banished to the Ark.
> > 3. Power is Atriox’s overall plan, not that difficult of a concept to grasp as it is obvious.
> >
> >
> > > 2533274884722193;5:
> > >
> > > Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
> > >
> > > As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
> > >
> > > Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
> > >

> >
> > The Curator.
>
> More evidence the plot is garbage. Wow a villain’s unclear goals are power , who would’ve thought…
>
> I understand the Supercarrier brought Atriox to the Ark. My question is how did he know its location. Portals are the only known way to reach it and its location was not known. Again lazy, stupid storytelling for sake of plot convenience.
>
> Just like the Spirit of Fire ending up at the Ark unexplained (but hopefully will be)

It’s location was not known? Portals the only way to reach it? May I remind you of the Rubicon and it’s ill-fated mission to the Ark in 2554. Also, although Rtas 'Vadum defeated Truth’s fleet in orbit above the Ark, statistically speaking, there should have been survivors who managed to flee back to the Orion Arm. Word would no doubt have gotten out about the Ark’s location. And in the highly unlikely event that there were no Covenant survivors, members of The Swords of Sanghelios/UNSC could have defected/been captured by The Banished and divulged the location of the Ark to Atriox. Come on, give him some credit, he’s pretty damn resourceful and cunning.

If you’re gonna bash the game, at least get your lore straight dude. Just because the plot doesn’t explain EVERY single detail in black and white, doesn’t make it trash. Just gotta use a bit of lateral thinking is all. I’m not criticizing you personally btw, I just don’t like it when ignorance prevails.

I want to know how the portal to the Ark was reactivated after Halo 3 in the first place. Did the Ark get repaired enough to reopen the portal? How did people get to the Ark in Hunters in the Dark?

> 2533274849782428;17:
> > 2535465364486894;15:
> > > 2533274829152751;14:
> > > > 2535465364486894;1:
> > > >
> > > > What is Atriox’s overall plan?
> > > >
> > > > He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
> > > >

> > >
> > > 1. Atriox did not make the ring.
> > > 2. Isabel said that the Enduring Conviction brought the Banished to the Ark.
> > > 3. Power is Atriox’s overall plan, not that difficult of a concept to grasp as it is obvious.
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274884722193;5:
> > > >
> > > > Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
> > > >
> > > > As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
> > > >
> > > > Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
> > > >

> > >
> > > The Curator.
> >
> > More evidence the plot is garbage. Wow a villain’s unclear goals are power , who would’ve thought…
> >
> > I understand the Supercarrier brought Atriox to the Ark. My question is how did he know its location. Portals are the only known way to reach it and its location was not known. Again lazy, stupid storytelling for sake of plot convenience.
> >
> > Just like the Spirit of Fire ending up at the Ark unexplained (but hopefully will be)
>
> It’s location was not known? Portals the only way to reach it? May I remind you of the Rubicon and it’s ill-fated mission to the Ark in 2554. Also, although Rtas 'Vadum defeated Truth’s fleet in orbit above the Ark, statistically speaking, there should have been survivors who managed to flee back to the Orion Arm. Word would no doubt have gotten out about the Ark’s location. And in the highly unlikely event that there were no Covenant survivors, members of The Swords of Sanghelios/UNSC could have defected/been captured by The Banished and divulged the location of the Ark to Atriox. Come on, give him some credit, he’s pretty damn resourceful and cunning.
>
> If you’re gonna bash the game, at least get your lore straight dude. Just because the plot doesn’t explain EVERY single detail in black and white, doesn’t make it trash. Just gotta use a bit of lateral thinking is all. I’m not criticizing you personally btw, I just don’t like it when ignorance prevails.

I completely thank you for reminding me of the Rubicon , but that makes sense, the UNSC won the engagement and learned and maintained its location. I see what you’re saying but you’re jumping through mental hula hoops to justify an answer for how he found the Ark. Not every question needs to be answered , but the main villain and how he got to the Ark is fairly important. To give reference in Thursday War they setup Jul finding the ruins to the location of Requiem.

The Ark’s location in the current Halo Wars universe is hugely important because its insulated from the rest of the galaxy (That’s why Cortana is not there, otherwise would it not stand to reason that she would seek to control it , for obvious reasons.)

I’m going to bash any game that doesn’t have competent storytelling or their antagonist involved in the game. Moreover, I am not saying this list has to be completely solved, some mystery is really good! However, having this many blank spaces and trying to sell it as a good story doesn’t fly. It causes the game to have no depth.

Curious, how you ignore what brought the Spirit of Fire to the Ark (a pretty huge deal seeing as how its the only reason the game exists)

Come on man, if you’re going to defend incompetent storytelling, make sure you do all of it.

> 2535465364486894;19:
> > 2533274849782428;17:
> > > 2535465364486894;15:
> > > > 2533274829152751;14:
> > > > > 2535465364486894;1:
> > > > >
> > > > > What is Atriox’s overall plan?
> > > > >
> > > > > He made a Halo ring and plans to do what? What is his understanding of the current galaxy and the created takeover? How did he reach the Ark? How did the Spirit of Fire reach the ark?
> > > > >

> > > >
> > > > 1. Atriox did not make the ring.
> > > > 2. Isabel said that the Enduring Conviction brought the Banished to the Ark.
> > > > 3. Power is Atriox’s overall plan, not that difficult of a concept to grasp as it is obvious.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274884722193;5:
> > > > >
> > > > > Another thing to add to the list; why did the Ark’s portal to Earth shut down without warning a month before Atriox showed up?
> > > > >
> > > > > As to the Halo, Atriox didn’t build it. According to Anders, the Ark keeps a partially constructed Halo in its forge at all times, in case one of the rings needs replacing.
> > > > >
> > > > > Which was another line I found odd, speaking of which. Anders says it as if there’s no reason for there to currently be a Halo under construction, and explains that it’s there just in case something happens to a Halo ring, but even if there was no protocol of having a half-finished ring always prepared, wouldn’t there still naturally be a Halo being built there to replace the one destroyed in Halo 3? The Ark should be specifically trying to build installation 04-C, but Halo Wars 2 presents the idea as if it’s meant for something theoretical event that hasn’t already occurred. Shouldn’t the line have been something along the lines of “The Ark is still trying to build another Halo to replace the first one we found, which Master Chief destroyed. We can use it to… etc etc”?
> > > > >

> > > >
> > > > The Curator.
> > >
> > > More evidence the plot is garbage. Wow a villain’s unclear goals are power , who would’ve thought…
> > >
> > > I understand the Supercarrier brought Atriox to the Ark. My question is how did he know its location. Portals are the only known way to reach it and its location was not known. Again lazy, stupid storytelling for sake of plot convenience.
> > >
> > > Just like the Spirit of Fire ending up at the Ark unexplained (but hopefully will be)
> >
> > It’s location was not known? Portals the only way to reach it? May I remind you of the Rubicon and it’s ill-fated mission to the Ark in 2554. Also, although Rtas 'Vadum defeated Truth’s fleet in orbit above the Ark, statistically speaking, there should have been survivors who managed to flee back to the Orion Arm. Word would no doubt have gotten out about the Ark’s location. And in the highly unlikely event that there were no Covenant survivors, members of The Swords of Sanghelios/UNSC could have defected/been captured by The Banished and divulged the location of the Ark to Atriox. Come on, give him some credit, he’s pretty damn resourceful and cunning.
> >
> > If you’re gonna bash the game, at least get your lore straight dude. Just because the plot doesn’t explain EVERY single detail in black and white, doesn’t make it trash. Just gotta use a bit of lateral thinking is all. I’m not criticizing you personally btw, I just don’t like it when ignorance prevails.
>
> I completely thank you for reminding me of the Rubicon , but that makes sense, the UNSC won the engagement and learned and maintained its location. I see what you’re saying but you’re jumping through mental hula hoops to justify an answer for how he found the Ark. Not every question needs to be answered , but the main villain and how he got to the Ark is fairly important. To give reference in Thursday War they setup Jul finding the ruins to the location of Requiem.
>
> The Ark’s location in the current Halo Wars universe is hugely important because its insulated from the rest of the galaxy (That’s why Cortana is not there, otherwise would it not stand to reason that she would seek to control it , for obvious reasons.)
>
> I’m going to bash any game that doesn’t have competent storytelling or their antagonist involved in the game. Moreover, I am not saying this list has to be completely solved, some mystery is really good! However, having this many blank spaces and trying to sell it as a good story doesn’t fly. It causes the game to have no depth.
>
> Curious, how you ignore what brought the Spirit of Fire to the Ark (a pretty huge deal seeing as how its the only reason the game exists)
>
> Come on man, if you’re going to defend incompetent storytelling, make sure you do all of it.

Pretty sure the game already answered that.
The Spirit was pulled into The Ark by Slipspace as the game quoted:

> Cutter : Sensors record show we arrived via slipspace less than an hour ago?
> Anders : Our Slipspace drive is gone. However we got here, it wasn’t us who initiated the trip

Now who or what initiated such event remains to be seen.