Unbalanced teams

So I’ve officially stopped playing halo 5 due to way too freqently having extremely unbalanced teams in arena. Far too often I find myself playing well but losing because my team is terrible or getting destroyed because my whole team is dying and I have no support. Often times its also my team just crushing the other team. It is very rare to have a close and fair game and it kind of kills the whole thing. It’s a shame because arena is extremely well done and a lot of fun to play when the teams are well matched but that happens like once out of every 4 games if I’m being generous. I’ve put in 2 weeks of gameplay into the multiplayer of halo 3, reach and 4 and im stopping at 22 hours for halo 5 unless the matchmaking gets fixed because that 1 game that is AWESOME doesn’t outway the 3 or 4 others that are brutal.

You might be stopped at 22 hours for a long, long time then. It seems to be the norm in Halo 5: play like an untouchable god one game, get absolutely crushed the next.

Wow… just 22 hours? I’ve got like, 10 times that, and I feel like I’ve barely touched the game since the Meridian update.

I don’t know what kind of algorithms they use for matchmaking, and I’m 100% sure that the applied mathematics involved are miles above my head. But I’m also pretty sure that they are “dumb” in the sense that as long as the team equations are balanced to a certain tolerance level, that an advanced player can be paired up with some really awful players against a team of players of a more homogeneous and moderate competence. IME, that “balance” is never functional. But it’s a computer making the matches, and computers lack the ability to make finer distinctions.

But there’s the “focused” matchmaking option that should work harder to get you some closer matches at the cost of a longer wait. Have you tried that?

No I heven’t tried that. Maybe I will cause I love Halo the matchmaking is just killing me

Matching Bronze against Champions. How did that happen? The matching system does not always work. But I have to add, there have been many matches that I have had, that have been very close. Sometimes it seems to be spot on, then there are times when is is way off.
You will have better luck if you join up with a fire team to take on the challenges. If you join up solo, it is just a roll of the dice. I mostly join up solo, so I feel your pain.

> 2586218893181855;2:
> You might be stopped at 22 hours for a long, long time then. It seems to be the norm in Halo 5: play like an untouchable god one game, get absolutely crushed the next.

This does seem to be the norm. As OP mentions 1 out 4 are tight, I’m ok with that, my heart couldn’t take it happening too frequent (being fat doesn’t help either) Back to back sudden death matches? I may kill over.

this is called smurfs. a team of 4 takes 2 very low ranked accounts and the other 2 are etiher onyx or rarely champs. its been here for a long time.

> 2533274855980650;1:
> So I’ve officially stopped playing halo 5 due to way too frequently having extremely unbalanced teams in arena. Far too often I find myself playing well but losing because my team is terrible or getting destroyed because my whole team is dying and I have no support. Often times its also my team just crushing the other team. It is very rare to have a close and fair game and it kind of kills the whole thing. It’s a shame because arena is extremely well done and a lot of fun to play when the teams are well matched but that happens like once out of every 4 games if I’m being generous. I’ve put in 2 weeks of gameplay into the multiplayer of halo 3, reach and 4 and I’m stopping at 22 hours for halo 5 unless the matchmaking gets fixed because that 1 game that is AWESOME doesn’t outweigh the 3 or 4 others that are brutal.

i agree. i don’t understand why they don’t just pair you with people with similar play-times. of course some will be better than others but in the end it will be more consistent than all noobs vs pros

I’ve played a lot but I still suck (according to my kids anyway). I agree with the other posts, playing solo is more challenging - fireteams have a definite advantage, and changing up the matchmaking options does seem to make some difference. That being said, there seem to be far fewer “close” matches than those that are lopsided one way or the other. I just take what I can get and try to do my best regardless of the circumstances. I tend to play a more defensive game if I am stuck playing a highly skilled team, in order to try to reduce my deaths. Lastly, its just a game so I try to interject some fun - for instance laugh when I get assassinated and they twerk over my dead, lifeless body…:slight_smile:

I agree with your assessment, but I never had any previous Halo work any differently. To me this is strictly same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was. lol

One game today had a Bronze player totally destroy everyone. Seems a little interesting…

Still fun as long as I’m not in games where my team is constantly getting destroyed :slight_smile:

I’ve just been curious about some recent matches. It seems like the same thing every time…One person on the other team immediately quits, then 3 guys are basically untouchable and two, if not all three, will have less than 200 gamer score and it was like that was their first ever Halo match. That always seems fishy to us when we’re playing.

So true fam.
See, what we need is “XBox Party Slayer” so people in 4 man fireteams with proper communication can play against each other. (and for other GMs too)
And a “Meet New People Slayer” for people who have the same rough total play time. And SR Rank, and all that other stuff.

And something else,
I just play FFA so I don’t get dragged down.
Unless it’s hecking FFA Stasis.
Hate that map.