Unable to play matchmaking due to playlist problem

Hello,

I am encountering what I assume to be a glitch with either my Halo: Reach, or the matchmaking server. I am unable to play matchmaking at all, whether it be alone or with friends due to “not having the required map packs” which I shouldn’t need, and that the ONLY playlists that appear are the Anniversary playlists. I am unable to choose any other game type except anniversary.

Please if anyone knows what could be wrong, and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Since Halo: Anniversary came out, Reach will ONLY show the Anniversary Playlists if you instantly head into the Matchmaking section.

The solution is to go back to the main menu, then head back to the Matchmaking lobby and all the playlists should be there, it just has to load the playlist information from Xbox LIVE before showing all of them.

> Since Halo: Anniversary came out, Reach will ONLY show the Anniversary Playlists if you instantly head into the Matchmaking section.
>
> The solution is to go back to the main menu, then head back to the Matchmaking lobby and all the playlists should be there, it just has to load the playlist information from Xbox LIVE before showing all of them.

I’m afraid that doesn’t seem to affect it. I went back to the main menu, waited for a few minutes, and returned to matchmaking and it still shows only the Anniversary playlists and tells me that I need map packs to play. I don’t have to download the anniversary map pack to play, do I?

This is the first time I’ve tried to play in quite a while, like over a year or so. Could that be a factor? Could it be a problem with my disc? I don’t see any outlying marks on it…

Thanks for the replies!

> > Since Halo: Anniversary came out, Reach will ONLY show the Anniversary Playlists if you instantly head into the Matchmaking section.
> >
> > The solution is to go back to the main menu, then head back to the Matchmaking lobby and all the playlists should be there, it just has to load the playlist information from Xbox LIVE before showing all of them.
>
> I’m afraid that doesn’t seem to affect it. I went back to the main menu, waited for a few minutes, and returned to matchmaking and it still shows only the Anniversary playlists and tells me that I need map packs to play. I don’t have to download the anniversary map pack to play, do I?
>
> This is the first time I’ve tried to play in quite a while, like over a year or so. Could that be a factor? Could it be a problem with my disc? I don’t see any outlying marks on it…
>
> Thanks for the replies!

By any chance is Halo: Reach installed to your Hard Drive?

If so, uninstall it and see if it fixes the problem, if not, reinstall it and try again, if still no results, clear your Xbox’s cache by doing what it says here: http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/clear-system-cache.

Once you have tried the above, give me a shout, I’ll be here to help if the problem is not resolved.

Halo: Reach was not installed, so I tried to install it. Unfortunately this tells me that the disc is unreadable. Which is not only strange becuase the disc shows no serious scratches, and the game itself also loads up fine. I assume this must be the problem. Clearing the cache didn’t have any affect either. =\

Would an unreadable disc affect matchmaking? The game worked fine last time I played…

To my knowledge, no it shouldn’t, however when Halo: Anniversary came out, my installed Halo: Reach began to show up as ‘Halo: Reach Multiplayer’ in my Hard Drive.

I would try to get another copy of Reach or try the game with another console if possible, to see if it works, rent a copy out of your local game store and then if it works, buy the copy, then either keep your old one or throw it away, it will look a little odd you wanting to buy a new copy and sell the old one.

It still confused me as to why the disk would have much to do with it though, I thought loading Playlist information was ALL Server based, not Disk based, the only solution I can think of is that your Xbox thinks you are playing the Anniversary Reach, not full Reach when heading into the Matchmaking lobby.

> To my knowledge, no it shouldn’t, however when Halo: Anniversary came out, my installed Halo: Reach began to show up as ‘Halo: Reach Multiplayer’ in my Hard Drive.
>
> I would try to get another copy of Reach or try the game with another console if possible, to see if it works, rent a copy out of your local game store and then if it works, buy the copy, then either keep your old one or throw it away, it will look a little odd you wanting to buy a new copy and sell the old one.
>
> It still confused me as to why the disk would have much to do with it though, I thought loading Playlist information was ALL Server based, not Disk based, the only solution I can think of is that your Xbox thinks you are playing the Anniversary Reach, not full Reach when heading into the Matchmaking lobby.

I just tried to game on my old 360 console. It still has the same result as before. I do have about $20 in store credit at my local Gamestop… I will stop by today and see if they have a decent copy of the game used. Strange that the disc is acting up…

I hope my 360 isn’t affecting the discs or anything! :S

Thanks so much for the quick, helpful replies! Hopefully getting a different copy with fix it! Thanks again :]]

> > To my knowledge, no it shouldn’t, however when Halo: Anniversary came out, my installed Halo: Reach began to show up as ‘Halo: Reach Multiplayer’ in my Hard Drive.
> >
> > I would try to get another copy of Reach or try the game with another console if possible, to see if it works, rent a copy out of your local game store and then if it works, buy the copy, then either keep your old one or throw it away, it will look a little odd you wanting to buy a new copy and sell the old one.
> >
> > It still confused me as to why the disk would have much to do with it though, I thought loading Playlist information was ALL Server based, not Disk based, the only solution I can think of is that your Xbox thinks you are playing the Anniversary Reach, not full Reach when heading into the Matchmaking lobby.
>
> I just tried to game on my old 360 console. It still has the same result as before. I do have about $20 in store credit at my local Gamestop… I will stop by today and see if they have a decent copy of the game used. Strange that the disc is acting up…
>
> I hope my 360 isn’t affecting the discs or anything! :S
>
> Thanks so much for the quick, helpful replies! Hopefully getting a different copy with fix it! Thanks again :]]

No problem, I have e-mail notifications enabled for this topic, so if a new disk doesn’t fix the problem, be sure to just drop a post in here, I will reply as soon as I can.

Well, just got back from Gamestop. (luckily it’s within walking distance)

Got a used copy with my credit + $6, and it works like a charm! All the playlist options are there! :smiley:

Strange problem with that old disc…

Thanks again for the help! :]

> Well, just got back from Gamestop. (luckily it’s within walking distance)
>
> Got a used copy with my credit + $6, and it works like a charm! All the playlist options are there! :smiley:
>
> Strange problem with that old disc…
>
> Thanks again for the help! :]

Good to hear!

I’m still stumped as to why the disk was causing it, back to the Halo then :wink:

> > Well, just got back from Gamestop. (luckily it’s within walking distance)
> >
> > Got a used copy with my credit + $6, and it works like a charm! All the playlist options are there! :smiley:
> >
> > Strange problem with that old disc…
> >
> > Thanks again for the help! :]
>
> Good to hear!
>
> I’m still stumped as to why the disk was causing it, back to the Halo then :wink:

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
The only possible solution in this case is that the disc is damaged, this assumption is strongly supported by the evidences that the same problem occurs with the disc in another console, and that it can’t be installed to harddrive (major warning sign).
I would assume that the part which contains maps or MP components has been damaged the most since they fail to load. The disc can be “broke” without visible damage. Leave it in direct sunlight and it might die, micro-scratches in the wrong places, even a “monday copy” of the disc (bad disc = limited lifetime).
If you can’t install the game to the harddrive, it’s 99% chance the disc is damaged.