Un-official Armour Customization Thread

Yes, I currently know that they’re are many different threads that complain about this. This is different. We shall be discussing and arguing about the matter of armour customization. As of the 4th of July, 2015, armour customization is currently limited to the following:

• Helmets - Armour - Full set - Visors - Armour skins - Stances - Assassination animations - Weapon skinsIt is confirmed that there will be 100’s of different armour being released Post-launch. Also, the new REQ system which is included in H5G will be the way you unlock armour now. This may be the only way or be a sub way of earning EXTRA armour as well as the basic armour you earn by ranking up.

Rules
#1 Constructive criticism please.
#2 No spamming
#3 No attacking other players
#4 No blaming 343i
#5 Basic forum rules apply

Lets try and get this fixed

This thread is a lot more constructive but it just seems like you’re backseat modding with those rules. Also, rule number 4 is ridiculous. If 343i does something we don’t like, we have every right to blame them.

Nothing to fix. I’m glad that players will finally be forced to have mostly matching armor wether size or shape. I like to feel like I’m in the universe and when someone walks next to me, a teammate, with massive shoulders and a tiny helmet it ruins the experience a bit. Or very jagged looking armor in Halo 4 mixed with smooth something else. I like what they’ve done here. But I hope they have some really long assassination where you beat a guy to a pulp over 10 seconds or something, otherwise do the beat down.

> 2533274950614657;2:
> This thread is a lot more constructive but it just seems like you’re backseat modding with those rules. Also, rule number 4 is ridiculous. If 343i does something we don’t like, we have every right to blame them.

Just say what you like and don’t like but don’t bother calling 343i names, simple as that.

I meant blaming them in a ignorant way. “Stop doing this, we just want go back to the old days”, or " WHY DO YOU DO THIS 343i" is what I have seem in relation to this topic against the hate of 343i. I do not praise 343i for their decision here however I wish to stop annoying comments like these. I understand your point and I change it here.

#4 Do not direct anger towards 343i. Criticism is allowed but not anger.
This is what I originally wanted.

> 2533274891841289;4:
> > 2533274950614657;2:
> > This thread is a lot more constructive but it just seems like you’re backseat modding with those rules. Also, rule number 4 is ridiculous. If 343i does something we don’t like, we have every right to blame them.
>
>
> Just say what you like and don’t like but don’t bother calling 343i names, simple as that.

Aye, exactly what I meant, thank you.

Anyway, I’ll post my thoughts on this. Halo 5’s customization is definitely superior to Halo 3’s, and potentially superior to Reach. What will make it superior to Reach is if the many new sets are worth the removal of customizing wrists, knees, thigh objects, or helmet gadgets. The new armors need to come back to reality; they need to look functional, and have a clear purpose, instead of just being crazy messes of sharp shapes and ridiculous visors (or lack thereof). Reach’s armor’s charm was that it looked like each type was for a different purpose in combat like scout, assault, long-term mission, commanding, CQC, explosive (or even outside of combat like communication or medical purposes). This allowed players to not only customize their look, but also customize their look to match their playstyle.

That is the key to Halo 5’s many more armors beating Reach. Making the armors look functional, purposeful, and precise, instead of Halo 4’s crazy fantasy land over the top impracticality.

Also side note, making the armor not just look like they’re hunks of metal glued onto a skin-tight wetsuit would help a lot too. All the exposed areas and the huge gap between the skin suit and plating looks really silly and looks infinitely inferior to previous designs in terms of practicality and protection.

> 2533274950614657;7:
> Anyway, I’ll post my thoughts on this. Halo 5’s customization is definitely superior to Halo 3’s, and potentially superior to Reach. What will make it superior to Reach is if the many new sets are worth the removal of customizing wrists, knees, thigh objects, or helmet gadgets. The new armors need to come back to reality; they need to look functional, and have a clear purpose, instead of just being crazy messes of sharp shapes and ridiculous visors (or lack thereof). Reach’s armor’s charm was that it looked like each type was for a different purpose in combat like scout, assault, long-term mission, commanding, CQC, explosive (or even outside of combat like communication or medical purposes). This allowed players to not only customize their look, but also customize their look to match their playstyle.
>
> That is the key to Halo 5’s many more armors beating Reach. Making the armors look functional, purposeful, and precise, instead of Halo 4’s crazy fantasy land over the top impracticality.
>
> Also side note, making the armor not just look like they’re hunks of metal glued onto a skin-tight wetsuit would help a lot too. All the exposed areas and the huge gap between the skin suit and plating looks really silly and looks infinitely inferior to previous designs in terms of practicality and protection.

Mostly agree, but what i didnt like about reach armor was that too many of the variants were stuff like “one grenade on the left instead of 2 on the right” or “antenna on right of helmet instead of left” I want recognizable and unique variation.

I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but there are so many threads about armour right now, it just feels like this is needlessly cluttering the forum.

I never actually gave my views on this.

I loved the look of H3’s, it just felt Halo to me. I attempted and succeeded in getting EVERY piece of armour for H3. Including Recon by doing Vidmaster. Before I continue onto reach’s, I wish to see a form of Vidmaster return in H5G. Vidmaster allowed players to cooperate together to achieve a common goal whilst having a good time or a stressful time. Both I remember fondly.

Reach’s armour had it’s good and bad sides. Its goods were that it was the largest collection of armour to date, allowing multiple different choices and ideas to spark. Ontop of this is that each helmet and some of the torsos had sub variants, allowing even more customization options. They also suited the type of Spartan you were and the play style you had. It also felt like your Spartan was apart of an actual military. UNSC tech is a bit forward from modern but not by much. Packs for ammo, binders, coms and bullets attached to you made you feel like a proper badass aswell as a soldier.

A few things I disagree with is that it felt a bit too hard to get these pieces of armour. Even though people do play Halo a good amount of the time, it took time and effort to get different bits of armour. Also, the spamming of armour made it nearly impossible to have uniqueness as you felt like “the odd one out” with many having emiles helmet, the grenade torso, any one of the large shoulders and a robot arm. Also, it did not feel halo enough. Yes, it is nice to have the armour of a actual military but it did not feel Halo.

Halo 4 also had good and bad parts to it. Again, biggest amount of amour in a halo game. New customization options. New items such as Weapon skins. Far more chance to make your Spartan feel more unique than ever before. The new items showed old classics with new ones. Recon and Mk 5/6, for example. They also seemed a bit more unique, especially the specializations which I hope make a return in H5G.

Many will agree however, they looked like cartoons in a way. The military theme from reach scrapped to create plastic power rangers. No offense, 343i. I was also upset that some old favourites such as armour effect had been taken out. These took time and effort to get which made you feel like you achieved something. Making you look more badass aswell.

H5G has goods aswell. Assassinations you can customize. Hell yeah. Stances are great. But I feel that some areas like armour skins is to consolidate the fact you cannot customize it anymore.

Anyhow then, that is how I feel

Well, I don’t mind left and right stuff coming in sets. Like, shoulders. But I do believe that the decision to make shoulders and chests together was very idiotic. Like, take Halo 4’s Mark V set from the DLC. I loved the helmet, I loved the shoulders, but the legs and the chest? God, that looked terrible. I’m worried that if they are unable to be separated, that I’m gonna see a cool chest I love, or cool shoulder pieces, but they’ll be tied to a really crappy looking piece of other armor. THAT is the reason behind my wanting more customization, not purely because of changing armor willy-nilly.

And btw, your rule #4 really is stupid. This is 343’s decision, their responsibility, their fault. So you want me to just blame Craig over there? No. 343 can own up to their decisions if they want to make them.

In 343’s case, I am simply appalled at their progress. With Bungie’s previous work (though obviously I don’t want them anywhere near Halo now), they only innovated and progressed. The customization only got better from Halo 1 - Reach. Color, then Species + Color, then Species + Color + Armor, then Species + Color + Expanded Armor + Attachments. With Halo 4 they upgraded the amount of things to customize, but eliminated attachments. With Halo 5, they actually CONDENSED armor. They keep taking steps back rather than forward, and that is not alright with me. I have no doubt that I am going to LOVE playing Halo 5, but I have two sides to me; my gaming side, and my machinima making side when it comes to Halo. My gaming side is jumping up and down like a little girl, and can’t WAIT until October. My machinima side is pissed off, and with every bit of new information, seems to get a worse and worse deal.

> 2533275011703423;10:
> The military theme from reach scrapped to create plastic power rangers. No offense, 343i.

This is a great way to describe it. If Reach’s Spartans were military, Halo 4’s Spartans are power rangers.

I kind of feel this way about Chief’s Mk 5 vs Mk 6. Mk 5 in Halo CE looked very practical with its thick chest and back plates and ammo pouches. The original Mk 5 truly looked like something a soldier would wear. The aesthetic is a little on the simple side, but I think it’s the best looking one out of all of Chief’s armors to date. Mk 6 in Halo 2 and 3 are a bit too… I dunno super-heroish. The armor’s aesthetics are designed to look like muscles to make Chief look buff which comes off as kind of silly. Also, the ammo pouches were removed which take away from the armor’s practical look. Also, Mk 6’s back is too bare. I think the main difference between Mk 5 and 6 is that one was made to look efficient and advanced, while the other was made to look badass and cool, which ironically makes it less so to me.

Halo 4 fixes this somewhat with Chief’s new armor. The thing is, I like the new aesthetic of Chief’s armor in that it ditches the superhero design in favor of a more practical look, but ironically makes it look less practical by leaving his midsection and the middle of his chest incredibly exposed with little to no armor covering those spots. And still no ammo pouches. Basically, give Chief more armor around his midsection, make the body suit a bit beefier, give him ammo pouches, and it’s my favorite Chief design.