UI Idea: Assassination demos

I’m definitely not the only one who thought of this.

Ever since launch I’ve found it pretty annoying that you can’t actually see what the assassination is when you select it. You just get a still frame that often doesn’t give you any idea what it is. The descriptions don’t help either.

Now that I’ve been playing for a long time and I’ve unlocked so many assassinations, it’s especially relevant. I can’t remember what each one is, and most of them I haven’t even seen because I can never seem to pull off an assassination in a match before I get a new one. It seems so incredibly rare to actually get assassinations in Halo 5 unless you specifically set out to go for them instead of just playing the game. And then when you do trigger one, the gameplay speed of Halo 5 is so much faster than Reach and 4 that you either die before you see the full animation or a teammate steals it.

I don’t think it would be too hard to make some kind of preview animations of the assassinations when you select them. They could either make the REQ card images GIFs, or make it like the menu where you change your Spartan’s stance and render a second Spartan in default armor as a dummy.

A Blues fan raised a good counter-point:

> I quite like the idea of having to try and pull it off in game to see it.
>
> Being able to see them whenever you want in a menu would make them less special in my opinion.

So I think the best course of action is a compromise. Instead of a full blown animation, there could be multiple still images (3-5, or one for each major phase of the animation). That way it would still give you a better idea of what you selected but without spoiling the special occasion. It would also be easier to implement. It could be set up to where a slideshow of images plays when you hover over each thumbnail.

Sounds really cool, I’d vouch for it.

I quite like the idea of having to try and pull it off in game to see it.

Being able to see them whenever you want in a menu would make them less special in my opinion.

> 2533274806711091;3:
>
> Being able to see them whenever you want in a menu would make them less special in my opinion.

The problem with that is that assassinations aren’t just something you can do whenever you want; they very heavily rely on your opponent’s radar awareness. If you unlock four or five in a row it becomes a real chore to figure out what they all do.

> 2533274806711091;3:
>

I’m pretty sure that was 343’s intention as well and I agree in principle, but not in practice.

It’s just far too difficult to have to go into a match and specifically seek out an assassination just to see what the heck it is, and then hope you remember what it is once you accumulate a dozen different ones. Also you have to hope you’re in the right position and have enough room for your custom assassination to work instead of one of the default ones or an air-ssassination.

> 2533274806711091;3:
>

Assassinations are pretty rare in arena focused game modes. Giving players a preview of the assassinations would go a long way in helping them properly choose which one suits their preferences best.

They could compromise and make the best of both worlds by having multiple still images instead of a full blown animation.

A million times yes, I’ve wanted this since day one!

> 2533274968707582;6:
> > 2533274806711091;3:
> > I quite like the idea of having to try and pull it off in game to see it.
> >
> > Being able to see them whenever you want in a menu would make them less special in my opinion.
>
>
> Assassinations are pretty rare in arena focused game modes. Giving players a preview of the assassinations would go a long way in helping them properly choose which one suits their preferences best.

Agreed

Simple just plug in another controller, go into a custom game and try out different assassinations…oh wait never mind…no split screen :`(

> 2533274884686224;10:
> Simple just plug in another controller, go into a custom game and try out different assassinations…oh wait never mind…no split screen :`(

Pfft, just coerce a friend into buying an Xbone and Halo 5, go into custom games with them, test your assassination and then ditch 'em.

Simple.

Make it so you you have to put the cursor over it to play. Simple.

I second this. I was thinking that they could keep the REQ card but put in the lower right corner and show a demonstration of your spartans recently acquired assassination(s) on a recruit spartan.