Uh ... does it get better?

I’m about half way through Pillar of Autumn on Legendary and I’m a little worried.

First up I sat at the title screen ready to drink in the epic monk chant only to have it cut off mid cadence by a new song starting … what gives?

Then the faces … What the? They look strange and weird. The lip synching is wrong and sgt Johnson looks utterly strange.

The cutscenes aren’t smooth, they stagger and jerk weirdly.

During gameplay I noticed the ‘toggle’ option for walking doesn’t seem to work properly either. It just stands me up then crouches me back down for some reason. I can’t remember if it was like this in the original.

Also, the game is far from pretty. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t call it terrible, but it’s not the best looking game, certainly not as good looking as Halo 3. This doesn’t bother me too much, but the texture pop in is horrendous. For a game with average graphics I notice textures popping in seconds after I look at them. (my game is installed to the hard drive).

So far the whole package just seems careless. it lacks polish in my opinion.

Does it get better? Does it eventually hit it’s stride and shine like the original? Or does it stay swimming in the waters of being a clunky HD remake?

Well I havn’t noticed any issues with lip syncing and i only saw a texture pop in once during the whole campaign, so i don’t know.

Toggle has always been like that for CE.
You have to slowly move forward.
I haven’t had any issues with the cut scenes.
The graphics are amazing compared to the 10year old version.

> Toggle has always been like that for CE.
> You have to slowly move forward.
> The graphics are amazing compared to the 10year old version.
> I haven’t had any issues with the cut scenes.

Exactly. Compared to ten years ago? It’s pretty amazing.

Have you been pressing the back button?

> Toggle has always been like that for CE.
> You have to slowly move forward.
> I haven’t had any issues with the cut scenes.
> The graphics are amazing compared to the 10year old version.

Ah, ok, I couldn’t remember if the toggle did that. Cheers.

And about the graphics, I’m not saying they’re terrible and of course they’re better than the 10 yer old version, heck that was 10 years ago and it was on another console of course they’re better then the original CE. I’m just finding that the upgraded graphics are not really on par with current games. They’re absolutely passable though, just not really amazing. And this wouldn’t bother me too much, I’m not here to have my jaw dropped, I’m here to relive Halo 1, but things like the texture pop in should be there in a game that’s not really revving the 360 to maximum.

And I should add, there is a lot to appreciate. The gameplay is fun old school Halo. The back button is a really appreciated feature and I’m looking forward to the terminals.

Halo CEA to me is amazing! The campaign is just like it was 10 years ago. Graphics to me are great! but to me graphics don’t mean anything. It is the story, gameplay, and play value that I care about. And Halo CEA has it all and now I can play online with my friends instead of having the screen watching fights lol (good times) lol.

I think 343i did a great job with this game. It is Halo 4-6 that I am worried more about. Now 343i can’t please everyone so I respect your views on what you didn’t like. I’m a video game student so I know how hard it is making a game work but I have learned not to lose sleep over people who don’t like the product. Like I said before you can’t please everyone but listening to them is critical and that is what I do.

Sorry I got off track lol.

> > Toggle has always been like that for CE.
> > You have to slowly move forward.
> > I haven’t had any issues with the cut scenes.
> > The graphics are amazing compared to the 10year old version.
>
> Ah, ok, I couldn’t remember if the toggle did that. Cheers.
>
> And about the graphics, I’m not saying they’re terrible and of course they’re better than the 10 yer old version, heck that was 10 years ago and it was on another console of course they’re better then the original CE. I’m just finding that the upgraded graphics are not really on par with current games. They’re absolutely passable though, just not really amazing. And this wouldn’t bother me too much, I’m not here to have my jaw dropped, I’m here to relive Halo 1, but things like the texture pop in should be there in a game that’s not really revving the 360 to maximum.
>
> And I should add, there is a lot to appreciate. The gameplay is fun old school Halo. The back button is a really appreciated feature and I’m looking forward to the terminals.

The graphics aren’t supposed to be realistic, that’s the whole point - it’s highly contrasted and colorful so it can be realistic instead, it’s not trying to be the same as Halo 3’s or Reach’s - it’s becoming something new, and I love it to bits! :smiley:

> I think 343i did a great job with this game. It is Halo 4-6 that I am worried more about.

Haha, that’s ironic cause I actually have a lot of confidence in 343 doing Halo 4. If you think about it they’ve been given the keys to an established franchise with lore and gameplay already set in place and adored. All they have to do is spin a great story and they’ve got so much fresh talent and new perspectives I think it’s exciting what they could potentially create.

> > > Toggle has always been like that for CE.
> > > You have to slowly move forward.
> > > I haven’t had any issues with the cut scenes.
> > > The graphics are amazing compared to the 10year old version.
> >
> > Ah, ok, I couldn’t remember if the toggle did that. Cheers.
> >
> > And about the graphics, I’m not saying they’re terrible and of course they’re better than the 10 yer old version, heck that was 10 years ago and it was on another console of course they’re better then the original CE. I’m just finding that the upgraded graphics are not really on par with current games. They’re absolutely passable though, just not really amazing. And this wouldn’t bother me too much, I’m not here to have my jaw dropped, I’m here to relive Halo 1, but things like the texture pop in should be there in a game that’s not really revving the 360 to maximum.
> >
> > And I should add, there is a lot to appreciate. The gameplay is fun old school Halo. The back button is a really appreciated feature and I’m looking forward to the terminals.
>
> The graphics aren’t supposed to be realistic, that’s the whole point - it’s highly contrasted and colorful so it can be realistic instead, it’s not trying to be the same as Halo 3’s or Reach’s - it’s becoming something new, and I love it to bits! :smiley:

I’m not talking about realism. Personally, I don’t like realism in games, it’s one of the things that puts me off games like COD and draws me to games like Halo. From a stylistic point of view the graphics still aren’t incredible, even Halo 3’s graphics looked much better than this and that was years ago, on an older engine.

Its using the SAME ENGINE as the original Halo. Of course its not going to be as pretty as even a game like Reach. The idea was to make an exact duplicate of the original game with added textures available from the added horsepower the 360 provides over the original XBox. If you wanted hyper realistic faces, movement it would have required a complete teardown of the game. That wasn’t the idea. 343 did a marvelous job with this rendition, and the ability to change from old/new graphics on the fly is very cool and amazing. They got it right.

> I’m not talking about realism. Personally, I don’t like realism in games, it’s one of the things that puts me off games like COD and draws me to games like Halo. From a stylistic point of view the graphics still aren’t incredible, even Halo 3’s graphics looked much better than this and that was years ago, on an older engine.

We think alike, my friend. But I think this is possibly an opinion based matter, for example, I like Halo 3’s graphics, but I really do prefer Anniversary’s, it’s just the style I like =)

Also, the general look does improve over the course of the game, the early levels are limited because of your surroundings, as you start to explore Halo, it becomes beautiful.

Two Betrayals (the snow level) looks absolutely stunning! =)

I also noticed the texture pop-ins, a minor annoyance, will try to see if it gets better by installing the game.
But we have to remember, the game is running 2 engines at once! That needs power, so the rendering suffers.
The facial animations are a big step up from the old ones (Halo ce used 2 points of animation. Mouth open, mouth closed) They don’t bother me. They had to redo ALL the animations for the cutscenes and that costs time and money. Give them cred for the hard work.
Personally, I think Halo CEA looks amazing. Better than reach in fact, sure, the poligon count isn’t as high but the lighting and skyboxes are fantastic! And so much colour! <3<3

It playes like Halo CE, It feels like Halo CE and looks better than ever.
This is a winner in my book.

> I also noticed the texture pop-ins, a minor annoyance, will try to see if it gets better by installing the game.
> But we have to remember, the game is running 2 engines at once! That needs power, so the rendering suffers.
> The facial animations are a big step up from the old ones (Halo ce used 2 points of animation. Mouth open, mouth closed) They don’t bother me. They had to redo ALL the animations for the cutscenes and that costs time and money. Give them cred for the hard work.
> Personally, I think Halo CEA looks amazing. Better than reach in fact, sure, the poligon count isn’t as high but the lighting and skyboxes are fantastic! And so much colour! <3<3
>
> It playes like Halo CE, It feels like Halo CE and looks better than ever.
> This is a winner in my book.

This sums it up =)

> Its using the SAME ENGINE as the original Halo. Of course its not going to be as pretty as even a game like Reach. The idea was to make an exact duplicate of the original game with added textures available from the added horsepower the 360 provides over the original XBox. If you wanted hyper realistic faces, movement it would have required a complete teardown of the game. That wasn’t the idea. 343 did a marvelous job with this rendition, and the ability to change from old/new graphics on the fly is very cool and amazing. They got it right.

Not exactly. They’ve done more than add new textures to the original game. They’ve created a lot of new geometry and that’s great in my opinion. I think their goal is perfect, take the original engine, lay a new engine over the top. That’s brilliant.

As for hyper realistic faces. I don’t really care. Realistic or not, the faces look strange, really strange. And they did completely redo the cut-scenes.

> The facial animations are a big step up from the old ones (Halo ce used 2 points of animation. Mouth open, mouth closed) They don’t bother me. They had to redo ALL the animations for the cutscenes and that costs time and money. Give them cred for the hard work.

That’s the thing that’s striking to me. I’ve noticed the animation of the bodies in the cut-scenes have been completely overhauled and that’s much appreciated. It just makes me wonder why they went to the effort of reanimating everyone but not syncing the mouths. At times they look like marionette puppets.

And yeah, the graphics have improved a bit after the Pillar of Autumn. Halo looks pretty good. It’s still not amazing but it’s a LOT better then POA.

the only thing i can agree with you on is the faces do look funny but that’s only because they ar’nt allowed to change what the person is supposed to look like…johnson on the other hand, i dunno wtf happend lol

I have to disagree with you on the graphics man, I think they do look pretty darn awesome. On par with Halo 3 and ODST at least, and there are plenty of games that don’t even give us that much.

> I have to disagree with you on the graphics man, I think they do look pretty darn awesome. On par with Halo 3 and ODST at least, and there are plenty of games that don’t even give us that much.

I disagree. The level of detail on ‘Halo’ CE compared to ‘The Covenant’ level on Halo 3. On ‘Halo’ the environments are pretty but sparse and lacking atmosphere. On ‘The Covenant’ there are loads of forest features like broken down trees, little rivers and streams and more variety in flora and scenery as well as distant battles taking place in the sky. Once again, ‘Halo’ has little variety and ‘set dressings’, just big open spaces without a lot of character beyond grass and trees.

But this is something that can’t be avoided, they have to stick to the geometry of the original Halo and it was pretty sparse back then and as time has moved forward people have added so much geometry and atmosphere to levels now days. Unfortunately 343 were anchored to the original game’s geometry and they’ve dressed it up as good as they can but it lacks the majesty and atmosphere of consecutive Halo titles.

> That’s the thing that’s striking to me. I’ve noticed the animation of the bodies in the cut-scenes have been completely overhauled and that’s much appreciated. It just makes me wonder why they went to the effort of reanimating everyone but not syncing the mouths. At times they look like marionette puppets.

They use motion capture nowadays, Its cheap, easy and fast, and it looks realistic. MoCap on facial animations is trickier though, so its most often done by hand. The more time you spend on it the better the outcome. Sadly they just didn’t have the time :confused:

Btw, did anyone else notice that cortana uses the same animations as in the original? I did.

And I think sgt Johnson looks badass :smiley:

> > That’s the thing that’s striking to me. I’ve noticed the animation of the bodies in the cut-scenes have been completely overhauled and that’s much appreciated. It just makes me wonder why they went to the effort of reanimating everyone but not syncing the mouths. At times they look like marionette puppets.
>
> They use motion capture nowadays, Its cheap, easy and fast, and it looks realistic. MoCap on facial animations is trickier though, so its most often done by hand. The more time you spend on it the better the outcome. Sadly they just didn’t have the time :confused:
>
> Btw, did anyone else notice that cortana uses the same animations as in the original? I did.
>
> And I think sgt Johnson looks badass :smiley:

I’m noticing the graphics are improving as the game progresses. Halo looked better than POA and the next level looks even better.

One thing though. I’m still bothered by the jerkyness. When the camera pans in cutscenes it jerks and object don’t move smoothly through the world. Pelicans seems to jerk and freeze in the sky. They just don’t really really smooth and fluid.

Also, I’ve noticed sounds don’t play occasionally. Sometimes the warthog stops making noise. And more than once my sniper rifle hasn’t made any reloading noises.

I havn’t noticed any sound problems myself (I played through the campaign 2 days ago and have been going on non stop since xD)
But I do seem to remember this problem in the original.

The jerkiness is there to stay sadly :slight_smile: The levels Truth and reconbazcfa (can’t spell it) and assault on the control room made me -Yoink- my pants. They are stunning!