Ugly truth

Disclaimer: I do not agree with this idea!!

That said, I think it’s time for the true Halo fan base (which I believe is most of us that frequent this forum) to accept one ugly truth. Future AAA installments to the Halo franchise need to be released more frequently. As an avid halo fan I am staunchly against this concept, as I have enjoyed higher quality installments throughout the years since 2001 due to longer development, expansion packs (referred to as “Season Passes” in the modern era or “War Games Pass,” for Halo 4), and longer sustained support than most AAA games receive (Resulting in more frequent patches, updates, game play balancing, and even weapon tuning/tweaking). But the end result has been the same - the bulk of the gaming community does not care. Only avid fans such as us actually appreciate these things, but over the years statistics have proven that casual gamers simply do not care about any of these things. The weapons tuning from Halo 4 did nothing to affect the steep decline of the population of Halo 4 gamers on Xbox Live that has since plummeted to all time lows.

With that said, let’s recall another statistic. All AAA halo installments have broken and set sales records immediately following their releases. What that means is that gamers have overwhelmingly flocked to their local gamestores to give the newest AAA Halo title a quick run and then tossed it aside or sold it back after a brief stint of Halo gaming.

So what does this even mean?? I think 343i needs to consider past precedence before they continue with their new Halo saga. Competitors such as the COD game developers experience greater profit because they capitalize on this trend. As a result of pattern analysis of gamer purchasing habits, COD developers release new AAA titles nearly every year. Like it or not (believe me, I would not like it), future AAA Halo iterations would more financially lucrative for 343i and more critically acclaimed if less time was devoted to the aforementioned techniques that previous AAA Halo installments have employed (Those techniques which have resulted in AAA Halo titles being released less frequently than other relevant AAA FPS Series). Would the essence of what makes Halo truly great be lost if 343i adapted to this logic?? I’m not sure, but a true fan such as myself would keep buying future installments either way.

Whether you agree or disagree with me on this issue, please respond with constructive feedback. If you do not care please continue on to another thread instead of posting.

I think 343 Industries will do just fine with new book releases, the upcoming TV show and game releases spaced out by a year or two.

> Future AAA installments to the Halo franchise need to be released more frequently.

I disagree. There are other IP’s that remain relevant even without yearly releases.

That said I don’t think yearly releases are “an ugly truth” either. There isn’t much necessity for there to be years between releases. In fact it’s probably a good thing Halo comes out early to rekindle some public attention before it’s too late.

(Read in Thel 'Vadam’s voice) Brother I know the path looks desolate but you must remember that we are the halo community, casuals and all we have not plummeted and I doubt we ever will.(Pshh I know it was bad but still :L)

We must remember one beautiful truth…we do not need to compete with COD as we have literature, a TV show and our amazing games

> I think 343 Industries will do just fine with new book releases, the upcoming TV show and game releases spaced out by a year or two.

I hope you’re right… I own and have read (often times re-read), all of the halo novels released to date. I haven’t paid much attention to graphic novels/comic books (as bad as that may sound), but you do raise an excellent point in that other media mediums have fostered halo canon into what it is today: a multi faceted universe that isn’t dictated or necessarily directed solely by AAA video game installments.

> > I think 343 Industries will do just fine with new book releases, the upcoming TV show and game releases spaced out by a year or two.
>
> I hope you’re right… I own and have read (often times re-read), all of the halo novels released to date. <mark>I haven’t paid much attention to graphic novels/comic books (as bad as that may sound)</mark>, but you do raise an excellent point in that other media mediums have fostered halo canon into what it is today: a multi faceted universe that isn’t dictated or necessarily directed solely by AAA video game installments.

Well, you should invest in Escalation, the current comic series. It is set to run 12 issues I believe and continues where Spartan Ops left off. You can skip Initiation, however. It was only three issues and about Spartan Palmer. Has some decent info, but nothing Halopedia couldn’t tell you.

> > > I think 343 Industries will do just fine with new book releases, the upcoming TV show and game releases spaced out by a year or two.
> >
> > I hope you’re right… I own and have read (often times re-read), all of the halo novels released to date. <mark>I haven’t paid much attention to graphic novels/comic books (as bad as that may sound)</mark>, but you do raise an excellent point in that other media mediums have fostered halo canon into what it is today: a multi faceted universe that isn’t dictated or necessarily directed solely by AAA video game installments.
>
> Well, you should invest in Escalation, the current comic series. It is set to run 12 issues I believe and continues where Spartan Ops left off. You can skip Initiation, however. It was only three issues and about Spartan Palmer. Has some decent info, but nothing Halopedia couldn’t tell you.

Not to mention that Initiation was crap, and Escalation, so far, is actually fairly interesting.

Thanks for the reviews of those graphic novels you guys… I was intrigued by the preview of Escalation but I guess I’ve been saving it for a rainy day.

I have no problem with more frequent Halo titles that are spin offs.

But they must do what ODST did to Halo 3.

IMO, the spinoff should be a complete new campaign. It can be an FPS, RPG, Open World, Squad Base Shooter, Stratergy, Etc.

But the Multi-Player should be an add-on to the main Halo Saga multi-player.

Take ODST for example. ODST had its own campaign and even had Fire-Fight. But what ODST did great, was that it’s multi-player was Halo 3. ODST contained all the Halo 3 DLC and some new maps. This then allowed everyone who had ODST, but may had not had the Halo 3 DLC. TO have access to all Halo 3 great maps. This improved the overall Halo 3 Multi-Player experience. Did was a great thing for Bungie to do.

What REACH did with Halo CEA was a fail.
Halo REACH had the perfect opportunity to follow the steps of ODST. But HCEA Multi-Player only contained the new HALO REACH DLC. It didn’t have any of the original REACH maps or any DLC. This was a epic failure IMO. If HCEA like ODST, contained all Halo REACH maps. It would had greatly improved REACH Multi-Player expereince. REACH has many great DLC maps and are sadly never played.

What ODST did for Halo 3 Multi-Player was amazing. And is something I hope all future Halo Spin Off titles continue to do.

> gamers have overwhelmingly flocked to their local gamestores to give the newest AAA Halo title a quick run and then tossed it aside or sold it back after a brief stint of Halo gaming.

I think that has more to do with players not liking the game. If anybody gave a “AAA Halo title a quick run and then tossed it aside or sold it back after a brief stint of Halo gaming,” I think it’s more likely it was because they just weren’t having fun with it. Perhaps Halo 4 “wasn’t Halo,” perhaps players thought that if they wanted to play a CoD-like game, they’d just play CoD, or perhaps they just didn’t like it for one reason or another. If I actually enjoy a multiplayer game, I’ll play it past the point of achievements, unlockables, or max rank. Payday 2’s got me hooked right now.

> The weapons tuning from Halo 4 did nothing to affect the steep decline of the population of Halo 4 gamers on Xbox Live

The weapons tuning update didn’t fix Halo 4’s core problems (sprint, flinch, Ordnance, loadouts, etc.), so of course it wasn’t going to bring back any substantial amount of players.

> Future AAA installments to the Halo franchise need to be released more frequently.

Perhaps. I don’t know much about what game development entails, but I do think it’s possible that while Campaigns need much time to develop, multiplayer sequels should be released more frequently. One person suggested separating Campaign from multiplayer and releasing them as separate games.