Type-51 Carbine

so the Type-51 Carbine is one of my favorite weapon’s in halo and im wondering is the Carbine in Canon as powerful and bada** as the one i use in game?

It only makes a few appearances in canon from what I recall. In Bloodlines a Spartan II is knocked out when hit by a single Carbine projectile. In Forward Unto Dawn it’s recoil is so powerful it sends a teenager flying backwards when fired. I did a calc on the Carbine a while ago and found out each round has almost as much kinetic energy as a .50 BMG. So if anything, it’s way more badass then in-game.

If you like weapons that kill their victims with radiation poisoning, then the Carbine is just as badass as the one in-game.

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only Carbine lover.

> It only makes a few appearances in canon from what I recall. In Bloodlines a Spartan II is knocked out when hit by a single Carbine projectile. In Forward Unto Dawn it’s recoil is so powerful it sends a teenager flying backwards when fired. I did a calc on the Carbine a while ago and found out each round has almost as much kinetic energy as a .50 BMG. So if anything, it’s way more badass then in-game.

Do you mind showing me that calc?

> > It only makes a few appearances in canon from what I recall. In Bloodlines a Spartan II is knocked out when hit by a single Carbine projectile. In Forward Unto Dawn it’s recoil is so powerful it sends a teenager flying backwards when fired. I did a calc on the Carbine a while ago and found out each round has almost as much kinetic energy as a .50 BMG. So if anything, it’s way more badass then in-game.
>
> Do you mind showing me that calc?

Sure, I took the weight of a loaded Carbine and subtracted it from an empty one. From that I got the magazine and ammo weighing 1.8 kilgrams (1800 grams). There’s 18 rounds in the magazine, and I assumed the magazine weighs half of that so that leaves each round weighing at 50 grams (that’s as heavy as a .50 BMG!). We know it’s muzzle velocity is 700 m/s, so now we calc it.

KE=1/2(M(V*V))

700700=490000.05=24500*0.5=12250 joules (12.2 Kilojoules)

To put into prospective, the MA5C’s 7.62mm rounds have about 4 kilojoules of KE.

Source: http://www.halopedia.org/Type-51_Covenant_Carbine

Wow! Pretty strong!

I’ve said it before and I will say it again…ALL…HAIL…THE…COVENANT CARBINE!!!

I started about a month ago using the Carbine as my primary instead of the DMR and my goodness, is that the weapon for me!
My kills have increased significantly.

As Cthulhu pointed out, it’s got impressive stopping power. Not only that, but its 8.7mm caseless rounds are highly radioactive. Meaning that even if you survive being hit by the T51, your bloodstream will be poisoned, and your insides are going to cook and boil.

The spiker is bad though I think. Less kinetic energy than a tennis ball I think.

> The spiker is bad though I think. Less kinetic energy than a tennis ball I think.

Not sure about the tennis ball bit, but it definitely has less kinetic energy than arrows used to hunt medium sized game. It’s really saddening to think that a railgun fires projectiles slower than most bows.

Railgun?

> Railgun?

I read the Spiker uses railgun tech to launch it’s projectiles, thus the reason it’s barrel heats up to almost melting point so easily. A regular powder based gun wouldn’t do that, especially considering it’s low muzzle velocity and fire-rate.

I haven’t seen that from an official source.

I don’t think it’s railgun tech. The gun doesn’t just launch the spikes, it actually superheats them to near melting point. That could also explain why the barrel heats up so easily.

I could have sworn it was on halo wiki or halopedia. I’ll try to find it, though if it’s not launched via railgun/coilgun type system then how is it launched?

Ah just found it on Halo wiki.

“The Type-25 Carbine is a fully-automatic, magazine-fed rail-type weapon. As its metal projectiles are pulled between the rails they are superheated and elongated into the spikes that are its namesake.”

Also, if you look at the gun, it doesn’t have a single barrel, instead the spike is fired inbetween two, giving more credit to it being a railgun, since it would be an extremely impractical design for a powder based gun. Even though I can’t find an official source, the Spiker is almost undoubtedly a railgun.

Aha, don’t use halo wiki. Use halopedia instead. Halo wiki has false info.

> Aha, don’t use halo wiki. Use halopedia instead. Halo wiki has false info.

I know, I usually prefer Halopedia, but what do you think of my assessment on the Spiker?

> > The spiker is bad though I think. Less kinetic energy than a tennis ball I think.
>
> Not sure about the tennis ball bit, but it definitely has less kinetic energy than arrows used to hunt medium sized game. It’s really saddening to think that a railgun fires projectiles slower than most bows.

Well, it IS a fully automatic railgun (If it is a railgun). I assume the fire settings could be switched around to fire faster projectiles at a lower RPM.

Well one thing is for sure. The Spiker is most certainly more dangerous than the given stats indicate. I would wager the low muzzle velocity is a reflection of gameplay and not canon; looking at Landfall, a movie unrestricted by gameplay, the spikes are comparatively instantaneous.