Two sides to the Halo Xbox One discussion

Camp one is the “make Halo Xbox One a clone of Halo CE, Halo 2, or Halo 3”

The problem with camp one is that if Halo Xbox One reverts to the old style without any modern enhancement it becomes a way to familiar and unoriginal experience which could make Halo Xbox One an irrelevant dinosaur like Doom and Wolfenstein.

Camp two is the “Halo 4 is good as is, but Halo Xbox One could use more CoD style minutiae”

The problem with camp two is if Halo Xbox One just copies and pastes everything out of CoD the Halo Xbox One game will end up as bad as the last Metal of Honor games which were shameless CoD clones.

The bottom line with Halo Xbox One is that 343i should not clone other games successes. Halo Xbox One should appropriately be inspired by and reflect on the Halo legacy, but it must evolve into a unique and enthralling new experience.

The real point to be made is that we all should stop complaining about how things don’t appeal to you or I and try to find the happy medium ground so we can go forward as enthusiastic fans of Halo.

I’d like Halo Xbox One to be a mix of CE and 4, my two favorite Halo games

I’ve got a better idea…

Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…

I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…

Because build off of CE, 2, 3 and take the good elements of Reach and 4 = Original trilogy clone.

Flawless logic, yet again, from the Halo Waypoint community.

> I’ve got a better idea…
>
> Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
>
> I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…

Honestly I think a classics playlist would end up with 4 or 5 match types only like team death match, swat, rumble pit, team doubles, and maybe CTF because a classics playlist for every type plus a infinity playlist for all types as well would be too divergent to maintain and make matchmaking to convoluted.

Who the hell is part of camp two? I’ve seen a bunch of camp one posters and they’re annoying but I’ve never seen someone say it needs to be more like CoD and are serious.

No what I think Halo needs going forward is to take some of the best elements of all of the previous games and improve them while adding some cool new content. No “lets make it like CE”, no “God Halo 2/3 were awesome lets make it like that” , and no “Throw out everything from Reach and H4”. Blend, we need a good and healthy blend.

> Who the hell is part of camp two? I’ve seen a bunch of camp one posters and they’re annoying but I’ve never seen someone say it needs to be more like CoD and are serious.
>
> No what I think Halo needs going forward is to take some of the best elements of all of the previous games and improve them while adding some cool new content. No “lets make it like CE”, no “God Halo 2/3 were awesome lets make it like that” , and no “Throw out everything from Reach and H4”. Blend, we need a good and healthy blend.

Those are mostly people who support sprint, weapon camouflage unlocks, and emblems/banners like CoD in a over reaching generalization of sorts.

> > Who the hell is part of camp two? I’ve seen a bunch of camp one posters and they’re annoying but I’ve never seen someone say it needs to be more like CoD and are serious.
> >
> > No what I think Halo needs going forward is to take some of the best elements of all of the previous games and improve them while adding some cool new content. No “lets make it like CE”, no “God Halo 2/3 were awesome lets make it like that” , and no “Throw out everything from Reach and H4”. Blend, we need a good and healthy blend.
>
> Those are mostly people who support sprint, weapon camouflage unlocks, and emblems/banners like CoD in a over reaching generalization of sorts.

So what you’re saying is that we’ve driven off most of the sane people? I can agree with that.

> > Who the hell is part of camp two? I’ve seen a bunch of camp one posters and they’re annoying but I’ve never seen someone say it needs to be more like CoD and are serious.
> >
> > No what I think Halo needs going forward is to take some of the best elements of all of the previous games and improve them while adding some cool new content. No “lets make it like CE”, no “God Halo 2/3 were awesome lets make it like that” , and no “Throw out everything from Reach and H4”. Blend, we need a good and healthy blend.
>
> Those are mostly people who support sprint, weapon camouflage unlocks, and emblems/banners like CoD in a over reaching generalization of sorts.

I’m indifferent on sprint so long as it work like it does in H4 as for unlocking superficial items that doesn’t make it like CoD. That’s a weak attempt at comparing the two, sprint is too for that matter. Stuff like elaborate loadouts and killsteaks, faster killtimes, and crappy map design would make it more like CoD.

> I’ve got a better idea…
>
> Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
>
> I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…

Exactly! Thank you!

Why can’t we have both?

> > I’ve got a better idea…
> >
> > Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
> >
> > I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…
>
> Exactly! Thank you!
>
> Why can’t we have both?

How many damn playlists do we need? There shouldn’t be 100 playlists with low pops fragmenting the community in a poor attempt to please everyone. No what we need is a solid core of mechanics and systems to build the game and most of the playlists around and if need be one “classic” playlist.

> > > I’ve got a better idea…
> > >
> > > Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
> > >
> > > I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…
> >
> > Exactly! Thank you!
> >
> > Why can’t we have both?
>
> How many damn playlists do we need? There shouldn’t be 100 playlists with low pops fragmenting the community in a poor attempt to please everyone. No what we need is a solid core of mechanics and systems to build the game and most of the playlists around and if need be one “classic” playlist.

one classic playlist is not enough we miss old halo we want it back who cares if the pop is scattered at least we get wat we want! the pop will be high most likely if they do that anyway.

> > > > I’ve got a better idea…
> > > >
> > > > Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
> > > >
> > > > I don’t see why it’s that hard to compromise…
> > >
> > > Exactly! Thank you!
> > >
> > > Why can’t we have both?
> >
> > How many damn playlists do we need? There shouldn’t be 100 playlists with low pops fragmenting the community in a poor attempt to please everyone. No what we need is a solid core of mechanics and systems to build the game and most of the playlists around and if need be one “classic” playlist.
>
> one classic playlist is not enough we miss old halo we want it back who cares if the pop is scattered at least we get wat we want! the pop will be high most likely if they do that anyway.

If you really feel that way Halo 3 has all the classic goodness you need.

> > one classic playlist is not enough we miss old halo we want it back who cares if the pop is scattered at least we get wat we want! the pop will be high most likely if they do that anyway.
>
> If you really feel that way Halo 3 has all the classic goodness you need.

Please stop these posts, they’ve just gotten tiresome and make me want to punch kittens. Thank you.

We shouldn’t need to go back to every game before Halo 4 if we want to play a Halo game that follows the basic rules it did for 10 or so years.

OP, they need to just tone down everything they’ve done and start from there. No need to revert all the way back to Halo 3.

> Please stop these posts, they’ve just gotten tiresome and make me want to punch kittens. Thank you.

In this one instance, this one single time, it’s called for.

He’s asking for a more faithful core game with a single purely classic playlist. Really, if you want more than that, you are asking too much.

> Who the hell is part of camp two?

Unfortunately singling out members is against forum guidelines.

Regardless, there are people who have made suggestions that literally are just copying elements straight from CoD.

> > > one classic playlist is not enough we miss old halo we want it back who cares if the pop is scattered at least we get wat we want! the pop will be high most likely if they do that anyway.
> >
> > If you really feel that way Halo 3 has all the classic goodness you need.
>
> Please stop these posts, they’ve just gotten tiresome and make me want to punch kittens. Thank you.
>
> We shouldn’t need to go back to every game before Halo 4 if we want to play a Halo game that follows the basic rules it did for 10 or so years.

I’d say the same thing to some one yoinking for Infinity if H5 didn’t have it. I’d tell them to go back to H4, something tells me you and a lot of other guys would too.

My point was for Halo to grow 343i needs to have a clear vision for Halo going forward and we as community need to come to as many compromises as we can. We can’t have games that are really two or three just to try and please everyone yoinking like whinny children.

I’m sorry. But if the game is called HALO, it should be reminiscent of HALO. I don’t disagree with bringing in new things, and mixing it up a bit. But to be horribly honest the ways Halo Reach, and 4 have “mixed it up” have been unacceptably untrue to what made the Halo franchise amazing, simple, fast paced, evenly matched combat.

There are so many ways they could have gone about features that exist in Halo Reach and 4 that would have been much more acceptable and true to Halo. A “Dodge” button instead of a Sprint Button would actually BENEFIT combat, and strafing tactics, as opposed to literally removing them.

Loadouts that don’t offer choices of weapons that simply aren’t similar, such as an AR and BR, or Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Boltshot, would give us freedom of choice and personal preference, without starting us off without an equal footing. Precision Primary, Automatic Secondary, is the best way to go. And ONLY ONE GRENADE OFF SPAWN. It’s amazing how much better Halo 2 was with this, and how quickly it would balance the Frag/Stick/Pulse choice out.

Global Ordinance that shifts over the course of the game in a both symmetrical AND pre-set pattern as opposed to being completely random. As well as Personal Ordinance that gave us Loadout resupplies instead of power weapons and powerups would have been a great idea.

Armour Abilities that had to be thought over and picked up off of the map would have been instantly better received and accepted than spawning everyone with a different superpower.

Halo CAN EVOLVE AND CHANGE. Without sacrificing Halo’s heart and soul in the process like Halo Reach and 4 did.

> > >
> > > Make it have multiple playlists that will separate Classic gametypes from Infinity gametypes…
> > >
> >
> > Exactly! Thank you!
> >
>
> How many damn playlists do we need? There shouldn’t be 100 playlists with low pops fragmenting the community in a poor attempt to please everyone. No what we need is a solid core of mechanics and systems to build the game and most of the playlists around and if need be one “classic” playlist.

Halo 3 split ranked and social and managed to sustain a good population and a healthy number of playlists. It can be done.

One thing I want to say, though, is that I don’t want “classic” playlists as much as I want a stripped down one where everyone starts on an even field. For instance, if Halo 5 introduces a core new gameplay element I will want it in that playlist too, provided that it doesn’t hurt even starts. So if they add armor abilities, put them on the map. If they add dual wielding, don’t remove it just because it’s not classic or not competitive. The same applies to any new gameplay addition- just make it work without Loadouts and I will be happy to use it.

That reason is exactly why I don’t mind Sprint now that everyone can use it. With some tweaking even Sprint can work. I also don’t care about the whole flinch/descope thing but since everyone else does 343i should bring it back to how it was before, along with the very necessary “classic” playlist.

Call it classic, call it ranked or call it legendary. I don’t care. I just want to have this option available at launch, so all of the competitive players will have a home and some of us old timers can return, even if just for a while, to a more Halo-y Halo game (by the old standards). There should be at least two playlists for that (slayer and objective) but I could see it branching off to much more than that.

I don’t agree with that division. It’s too simple and too “black and white”, and I’d be surprised if anyone genuinely belonged into either group. I don’t believe anyone actually wants Halo to be exactly like Halo CE, 2, 3, or any other existing Halo in that matter. Neither do I believe that anyone wants Halo to become like CoD.

People often don’t care to represent their opinions in a coherent manner. It’s not a secret that people on the internet don’t consider writing more than one paragraph worth the effort. That’s why you end up with hyperbolic one-liners such as “Halo Y should be like Halo X” or “Change is good”, and other conic sections.

It’s silly to claim that Halo is perfect as is, or was ever perfect at any point in time. There is always room for improvement. It’s equally silly to claim that all change is good.

It all comes down to philosophy of game design. There are two ways you can design video game. One is to consider it as a piece of art; to make one game and try something different with the next game. An artist strives for new designs and may completely abandon an old direction and experiment with a new one.

The other way to look at a game is a platform for challenge and competition. The designer decides the way in which they want to challenge the player. They decide to which extent they want to challenge the player’s mind and to which the players dexterity; the “theme” of the game. They work to perfect that theme. They work to increase the challenge of the game in the bounds of that theme.

Obviously, it’s not always so black and white, but I believe that’s the essence of the differences between how people think Halo should continue. Some people think the game will lose its appeal and originality if it doesn’t change all the time, like an artist who makes a master piece and then never comes up with anything new.

On the other hand, Halo has a strong competitive following. It’s undeniable that Halo has consistently devolved in terms of challenge and competitive value. They don’t necessarily think Halo should go back to whatever game they think is the best and stay there forever. All those games are far from perfect. It’s just that those games have features that have potential, and they have a strong core gameplay, on top of which new mechanics should be built; mechanics that further make the gameplay deeper by offering to challenges and strategies.

Ultimately, there are no “camps”. Everyone has their own opinion. But that opinion stems from how the person views games; as an art or entertainment medium which should always offer fresh content to provide replay value, or as a competitive medium which should have deep gameplay allowing players to evolve their skills and keeping them playing the game.

Personally, I think as far as a game series goes, it should remain true to its roots. If a developer or a player gets bored to the formula and wants a completely fresh experience, they should try a new game and come back when they feel like it. A franchise loses part of its soul when it’s modified drastically. And if it’s a game with a competitive following, those competitive players came there because the game supported the type of combination of skills they enjoy. Fundamentally changing how the game works will diminish that depth of the game.

> > >
> > >
> >
> > Exactly! Thank you!
> >
>

I’ll just say what I said in another post:

> [sarcasm]Because having both and satisfying both parties, Classic and Infinity, is terrible and all players should be forced to either one or the other, thus upsetting one of the two parties, which will make everyone happy somehow.[/sarcasm]
>
>
> I mean, why can’t I go into Halo 5, look at the playlists, and see:
> Classic
> Infinity
> Community
>
> And thus see that both parties are happy, and enjoying their favorites? Every playlist would have CSR (visible or not), thereby both can be competitive if they want.
>
> Why can’t I see Classic Slayer and Infinity Slayer? Classic FFA and Infinity FFA? Classic Objective and Infinity Objective? Classic BTB and Infinity BTB? While Community has Flood, Grifball, Action Sack, and Throwdown.
>
> No, don’t feed me this “well, the playlists would be hugely divided, thus having low population counts and longer search times” because that is complete Yoink. Classic would have “Halo-saving numbers” while Infinity would have 30,000. Low search times would not happen. So what’s the excuse? Nothing. Nothing at all.