Two Multiplayer "Types"?

I was just thinking to myself: with the extra power and disc space on the Xbox One, could 343 bring us two types of multiplayer?
One could play like a mix of Halo 3 and Reach, where players start with the same weapons or choose from set classes, and the other would involve class customisation (hopefully with more choice than Halo 4), and using those classes in gameplay.
The ranking systems could differ too, with the more classic playlist having a Halo 2-style 1-50 rank, and the other would have the experience gathering system as found in Halo 4.
This way people would get the best of both worlds and be able to enjoy Halo how they want to.
Feedback on this idea would be very interesting.

Why not have a competitive playlist which is like 2 and 3 with a skill system and 4 and Reach for a social one with an exp system? I’d say that’s rather fair

There’s another thread selling the same point:
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2592195_A-little-wish-for-the-Multiplayer-of-Halo--5.aspx#post2592195
A lot of people agree with you, me included. I think it’s the only true way to please everyone- 343i have been trying so hard to make Halo 4 appeal to everyone and now it appeals to no one (as in wholly appeal, I still enjoy the game). The only way to appeal to the casuals and the hardcore is to sell them two games in one package (rather, 2 MP experiences) and I, personally, would welcome the return of Ranked and Social and the community split- now more than ever.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> Why not have a competitive playlist which is like 2 and 3 with a skill system and 4 and Reach for a social one with an exp system? I’d say that’s rather fair

This style would please everyone, new and old, casual and competitive.

Its funny, OP. I never thought someone would think of the same idea as me. I too would want to see this, however, set up like this.

Once you hit War Games MM, you will run into two Settings:

Classic Settings (Halo 3): Pre-Set Loadouts, No Sprint, No AA’s (ONLY EQUIPMENT), No Ord Drops (ONLY MAP ORDS) THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED PLAYLIST

Infinity Settings (Halo 4): Custom Loadouts, Built-In Sprint, AA’s, Ord Drops. THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED AND SOCIAL

I made a similar post about this and i think that two multiplayer types in one game would be pretty awesome. There are people that prefer to play Multiplayer of Halo 2-3 and there are people that prefer the Multiplayer of Reach and Halo 4 and I believe that the best thing for the next Halo Title would be if 343 build two seperate Multiplayers for those two groups of people. I personely love both types of Multiplayers, the Halo 3 mp and the Halo 4 mp. Mainly because they are so different.
Having both types of Multiplayers in one game , seperated from each other would be the best solution for pretty much every fan of Halo that loves each kind of Multiplayers. From CE to 4.

They could have done this with Halo 4; they didn’t need the power of the Xbox One…

I’d prefer just having ranked and social.
Ranked playlists include CSR and are a more classic Halo experience.
Social playlists do not include CSR and are a more Halo 4-y experience.

That being said, Infinity needs a revamp either way.

If anything past Halo games have shown us that this just doesn’t work, just look at the “classic” playlists in Reach and 4, they have nearly non-existent populations.
There would also be a ridiculous amount of problems caused by trying to build a game around two gameplay styles, like someone said earlier, they would need to design two sets of maps, one for each gameplay style.

They could use Forge for doing this. I don’t say that it is easy to build a map that is made for classic Halo MP but, they do have many possibilities for making those kinds of maps. I know it sounds very cheap but 343 could also use Map Pack maps from H2 and H3 as maps for the classic multiplayer part of the game. Just rebuild /reskin those maps with the graphics for the game and it should be alright.

> Its funny, OP. I never thought someone would think of the same idea as me. I too would want to see this, however, set up like this.
>
> Once you hit War Games MM, you will run into two Settings:
>
> Classic Settings (Halo 3): <mark>Pre-Set Loadouts</mark>, No Sprint, No AA’s (ONLY EQUIPMENT), No Ord Drops (ONLY MAP ORDS) THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED PLAYLIST
>
> Infinity Settings (Halo 4): Custom Loadouts, Built-In Sprint, AA’s, Ord Drops. THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED AND SOCIAL

They might as well remove Loadouts all together for that playlist and place more weapons on the map for variety. TBH I dislike the idea of pre-set Loadouts just as much as that of Custom Loadouts.

For me it’s not a question of

“This or that should be completely removed to make way for a classic Halo experienced” (Short a few obvious ones)

It’s more “This or that should be redesigned to better suit Halo’s classic style”.

For instance, Classes.

Classes have too much in them, it’s simple as that. Or at the very least, they are not well optimized to suit balanced play.

I honestly can’t argue the difference between spawning with a BR, Carbine, DMR, LR, or check throw in the NR. These are weapons that are similar enough that so long as they are well designed to fit the competitive sandbox, we should have freedom of choice between these weapons. However, the Automatics are NOT suitable primary weapons, they are far too different from Halo’s primary cast of precision weapons.

Likewise secondary weapons have too many differences to truly justify the choice between them.

So then the question becomes why aren’t the Automatics just secondary weapons, along with the Magnum? Weapons that fill a similar role of a close quarters “fallback” with the only real differences being subtle statistics.

(In my perfect world vision, to be honest, I’d justify bringing back Dual Wield and having a Sidearm cast of the Magnum, SMG, Plasma Rifle, Nerfed Needler, and a nerfed 2 overcharge to kill Boltshot). I fail to see the problem with these choices, as they all fill similar roles, and Dual Wield will justify that the sidearms are all weaker than primary weapons standalone.

Grenades on the other hand, are only even a problem because you get 2. If you only spawned with ONE frag, stick, or pulse, I really don’t see an issue with the setup.

Ordinance is another feature that could use a rework, but not necessarily a removal. If Ordinance was tweaked so you could not get Power Weapons or Powerups out of it, but rather it acted as an Ammo Resupply for your Primary Weapon, Sidearm, and Grenade of choice, it would be balanced, while still being relevant and available (and tweakable entirely in Custom Games). Plus you’ll have thinking room. If you’re out of grenades, calling in 2 of your loadouts’ grenades with Ordinance will be key, especially if they are limited map spawns. In the same respect, choosing the sidearm will instantly give you Dual Wield, and choosing your primary weapon will resupply your easily out-of-ammo primary in case you’re on a roll. This will give Ordinance purpose, without throwing it off balance with overpowered choices.

Sprint on the other hand, can be cut. But the reason is that you are a Spartan, who should always feel like he’s running ANYWAY. Fast movement speed without Sprint would be awesome. And to fit the “new” or “innovative” idea of moving forward with Halo, why not replace it with a “Dodge” button. (Effectively it would be Thrust, but with a natural animation, such as “Jumping to the side”) This would BENEFIT Halo’s fast, strafing based combat.

Armour Abilities can see a return as pickups. You start with nothing, then you get an AA on the map. This would justify Armour Abilities being more powerful, akin to Reach’s. And would add more tactical options and flow to maps. MLG did this in Reach with Jetpacks and Evades and it WORKED. And them being limitless use as opposed to one time use, as well as being personally beneficial as opposed to somewhat neutral, would work better than Halo 3’s equipment, which aside from the Power Drain and the Regen Field, had limited applications. Of course in Customs you can set loadouts with AA’s off spawn (for Matchmaking this can be applied to niche gametypes, such as Dino Blasters).

These are ways to stay true to Halo’s core, while maintaining the new features that everyone loves and enjoys. I see no reason to minldessly cut things out, when simply approaching them from a more “Purist Halo” angle will keep fans of both generations happy.

> > Its funny, OP. I never thought someone would think of the same idea as me. I too would want to see this, however, set up like this.
> >
> > Once you hit War Games MM, you will run into two Settings:
> >
> > Classic Settings (Halo 3): <mark>Pre-Set Loadouts</mark>, No Sprint, No AA’s (ONLY EQUIPMENT), No Ord Drops (ONLY MAP ORDS) THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED PLAYLIST
> >
> > Infinity Settings (Halo 4): Custom Loadouts, Built-In Sprint, AA’s, Ord Drops. THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED AND SOCIAL
>
> They might as well remove Loadouts all together for that playlist and place more weapons on the map for variety. TBH I dislike the idea of pre-set Loadouts just as much as that of Custom Loadouts.

lol, well. When i meant “pre-set loadout”, i meant starting with the Assault Rifle and the Magnum, and basically work your way around the maps and find some new weapons of interests.

> > > Its funny, OP. I never thought someone would think of the same idea as me. I too would want to see this, however, set up like this.
> > >
> > > Once you hit War Games MM, you will run into two Settings:
> > >
> > > Classic Settings (Halo 3): <mark>Pre-Set Loadouts</mark>, No Sprint, No AA’s (ONLY EQUIPMENT), No Ord Drops (ONLY MAP ORDS) THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED PLAYLIST
> > >
> > > Infinity Settings (Halo 4): Custom Loadouts, Built-In Sprint, AA’s, Ord Drops. THIS WILL BE UNDER RANKED AND SOCIAL
> >
> > They might as well remove Loadouts all together for that playlist and place more weapons on the map for variety. TBH I dislike the idea of pre-set Loadouts just as much as that of Custom Loadouts.
>
> lol, well. When i meant “pre-set loadout”, i meant starting with the Assault Rifle and the Magnum, and basically work your way around the maps and find some new weapons of interests.

I wouldn’t hurt to have team loadouts, with slayer pro loadouts.

They can hardly get one multiplayer right, what makes you think they can get two?

Plus think about maps, most will have to be refined for the social experience cause of sprint and others for the ranked cause of no sprint. It just wouldn’t work, unless they can make two different map types and not just forge creations.

> I see no reason to minldessly cut things out, when simply approaching them from a more “Purist Halo” angle will keep fans of both generations happy.

I’m against mindlessly removing concepts.

Countless times I’ve suggested ways to improve armor abilities, loadouts, etc.

But frankly, some things really do just need removed. Personal Ordnance does not blend with map-item control. Sprint does not work for 4v4. Flinch is pointless. List goes on.

@OP

Halo needs to evolve in a single direction. Fos Kuvol has the only correct answer. Splitting the game in two and focusing attention between those two will just harm the game down the road and confuse anyone new to the franchise.

> However, the Automatics are NOT suitable primary weapons, they are far too different from Halo’s primary cast of precision weapons.

I disagree.

Automatics are too different because they are crutches instead of fleshed out weapons. They are short range, have little aiming requirement, and do not empower the player.

The SMG mentality of Halo 2 should be thrown out, the AR mentality of HCE and Halo Reach should be encouraged.

Give automatics tighter spread, more damage, and more utility/combat use, such as headshots. Halo CE had this with the Plasma Rifle, I don’t understand why it was abandoned.

Likewise, I feel the Plasma Repeater and Focus Rifle had potential.