TU: Stone, Paper, Scissors... Pistol.

Now, I realise, or at least THINK I realise that many of the changes that come with the title update will be slight or otherwise avoidable if you steer clear of the anniversary playlists… But that said, I need to get this off my chest.

For me, one of the main things that made Halo my go-to FPS is the weaponry. You play a game like Modern Warfare, and you’re soon struck by how samey the weapons can be. Pretty much everything fires boring ol’ bullets, and anything can trump anything so long as you get the drop on someone. Reach, however, has much more diverse and, well, FUN weaponry. You’ve got guns that shoot bullets, sure, but also concussive alien blasts, laser beams, blamite crystals, homing bombs, EMP pulses… And the best thing about all these weapons in my opinion is that they’re balanced against each other.

For instance: An energy sword can dominate up close… Unless it meets a shotgun. But a shotgunner’s day can totally be ruined by a barrage of Concussion Rifle spam. A Sniper might make light work of enemies at range, but all it takes is for a Focus Rifle to buzz him and he’ll be running for cover. Still, that Focus Rifle points a line directly to the person using it for all to see…

There’s a stone, paper, scissors mechanic at work in Halo, which helps keep every experience fresh. You can learn from your last death and go out specifically next respawn to find the tool that’ll put them back in their place. This makes map control matter more than just having a good view to snipe from.

…But that was all before the Pistol got buffed.

Honestly, judging by some of the Slayer DMR games I played on Powerhouse in the Beta playlist earlier, we might as well remove all other weapons from the map. The pistol will drop an enemy in 4 shots more or less, up close or at range. 2 or 3 to the body and one to the face before their shields have even popped. It’s easier than using the DMR, and with a Jetpack and zoom, nobody can escape your wrath. Well, unless they’re doing the same, of course.

It’s a satisfying weapon to use, but I can’t help but feel like its a power weapon now. A power weapon that everyone spawns with.

So where’s my incentive to find a needler if I’m dead before the crystals can can strip their shields?
Or a plasma pistol now that the magnum eats shields for breakfast?
Why use a DMR, even? It takes longer and does less.

If you’re keeping these changes in 1 playlist, fair enough. But I kinda feel it turns every game into a clumsy version of SWAT. I already have SWAT. Where’s the appeal in these changes that simplify the battlefield? Am I missing the point somehow? This is meant to feel like Halo, right? Why doesn’t it?

I don’t particularly care for the Beta changes. I’m okay with Halo CE playlist (3sk pistol) for nostalgia reasons, but trying to adapt current Reach to feel more like Halo 3 just isn’t working. Reach’s controllable rof and huge hit boxes makes along with the introduction of zb and bleed through just make make kills almost automatic. Aim around the head spam as fast as possible and get a kill, rinse, repeat.

I know this in now way affects Reach’s standard laylists, but I feel you have to change more than just spread, bloom, bleed through, and nerf AL and invis to make the game feel like Halo2/3 but still function and feel somewhat balanced.

> I don’t particularly care for the Beta changes. I’m okay with Halo CE playlist (3sk pistol) for nostalgia reasons, but trying to adapt current Reach to feel more like Halo 3 just isn’t working. Reach’s controllable rof and huge hit boxes makes along with the introduction of zb and bleed through just make make kills almost automatic. Aim around the head spam as fast as possible and get a kill, rinse, repeat.
>
> I know this in now way affects Reach’s standard laylists, but I feel you have to change more than just spread, bloom, bleed through, and nerf AL and invis to make the game feel like Halo2/3 but still function and feel somewhat balanced.

I’ve been a Halo fan since the first game, and enjoyed every game since. I’m happy with Reach, with how it works. For me, if they wanted it to feel more like MY experience of Halo 3, they’d make it so there were more CTF games/maps in big team playlists, and ditch weapon loadouts (but keep AA’s).

In old Halo, if you wanted to be the guy who went and fetched the shotgun and then stayed home to defend the base, you’d go do that. If someone had taken the shotgun already, tough luck. Maybe next time. You shouldn’t be able to spawn with one like the last wave of Invasion, because basically everyone does. Boneyard’s core room in the last wave with 6 spartans with shotguns and armour lock is a nightmare.

But yeah, that’s MY Halo experience. Other people live for lone wolf gametypes or tests of accuracy and trigger fingers. For me, its all objective games.

> I don’t particularly care for the Beta changes. I’m okay with Halo CE playlist (3sk pistol) for nostalgia reasons, but trying to adapt current Reach to feel more like Halo 3 just isn’t working. Reach’s controllable rof and huge hit boxes makes along with the introduction of zb and bleed through just make make kills almost automatic. Aim around the head spam as fast as possible and get a kill, rinse, repeat.
>
> I know this in now way affects Reach’s standard laylists, but I feel you have to change more than just spread, bloom, bleed through, and nerf AL and invis to make the game feel like Halo2/3 but still function and feel somewhat balanced.

Biggy!

What I feel is going to happen is people who can’t aim but get the first couple shots in shoot as fast as possible, missing tons of shots before the final one to the head, and declare they “totally meant to do that bro. ZB doesn’t lie!” I really think that bloom, though crappy sometimes, does add an interesting element of timing that favors people who stay calm and don’t choke.