TU & Forge...?

By what chances and possibilities can the TU do anything to Forge World beyond giving us a new map? Would any of our desires be possible to do, tweaks, object skins, ect? Should I be eager for anything more than new areas to design on?

Just trying to figure out what people believe is possible in a TU given what most of us would love for a Forge 3.0…I know little of how the programming within Forge works and how a TU effects the game (specifically Forge).

Basically, Forge World itself can’t be updated.

Nearly all of the game’s resources are stored in the maps, not in the core game engine. For example, there are no Warthogs in Halo: Reach; there are Warthogs in Reach’s maps, though. This is the same way it’s been done since Halo: Combat Evolved.

In order for 343 to change anything in Forge World, they’d have to re-release it as an entirely new and separate DLC map.

The only thing I can possibly see being done with a TU for Forgeworld is getting rid of any out of bounds areas.

> The only thing I can possibly see being done with a TU for Forgeworld is getting rid of any out of bounds areas.

That’s baked into the map as well as Cobb was just saying.

Something that they could change is that damn rotation snap glitch that keeps resetting the orientation of the object when I grab it and won’t let me put it to the orientation I want unless I change my own orientation and work off of a different axis. If they fix that I will be a very happy camper. Well I’m a happy camper now, but this would be icing on the cake that is Forge 2.0. :slight_smile:

You guys are thinking way out of the box here in what they can actually change about forge. Tf anything, they can fix glitches and bugs, not getting rediculous like adding pelicans or changing item skins. That is going way deep into the game script and wouldn’t be possible.

Forge is already a great tool how it is. Personally, I wouldn’t want it to change. If more features are added like people want, I believe it would be an underestimated system and the work forgers like me and many others that take it very seriously and built for higher purposes will be left in the dust.

Now this Title update is giving people hopes of grand new additions like Pelicans, different and more objects and skin colors. Well guys, someone needs to be realistic here and you all need to understand it isn’t as simple as you guys think. A Title Update (for the most part) is not something that just adds to the game. It’s something that tries to fix the bugs and errors with the game. Something that could be done to forge is fixing bugs such as rotational snap errors and thing like that.

So you ask for something like a pelican to be added. First off, you have to make it mutliplayer friendly and not overpowered. Then you have to try to make it not cause anymore frame rate issues. Ever notice in firefight when alot of Phantoms come in, alot of frame rate comes up. Now picture that, on a forge map that is bound to have frame rate due to all the objects on map, along with the whole map of Forgeworld the game has to load, and the fact that bullets and explosion are going on everywhere. The game would be unplayable due to all the frame rate performance.

I haven’t even started talking about the second part to this and the map and game would already be unplayable. So now you have to rewrite the games script and coding to add this vehicle, that has to be close to restarting with the whole multiplayer system to allow it to work properly. They can’t just copy and paste from Campaign. It’s so much work for 33 then you guys realize. And you also want them to add more objects and skins. Ha! Now your rewriting the coding and scripting for forge! This kind of work could take months and months. And even is possible, it would interfer with already created maps and cause more frame rate performance issues on the maps, alas making them unplayable as well.

The point of this post is not to make me seem like a troll or party pooper. It is to lay out the facts that alot of what you guys are asking for is near to impossible and there needs to be some realism mentioned of high hopes for something will be drowned in depression and unsatisfactory.

If it were possible I’d like to see different textures on the building blocks, other than grey. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to add some patterns our colours onto them… but then again I know nothing about the boundaries of a Title Update.

The only reasonable thing I could see for Forge in the Title Update is adding a better coordinate system. Where it goes into the the hundredths instead of just the tenths. Like 1.85 instead of 1.8.

> Basically, Forge World itself can’t be updated.
>
> Nearly all of the game’s resources are stored in the maps, not in the core game engine. For example, there are no Warthogs in Halo: Reach; there are Warthogs in Reach’s maps, though. This is the same way it’s been done since Halo: Combat Evolved.
>
> In order for 343 to change anything in Forge World, they’d have to re-release it as an entirely new and separate DLC map.

Or just do like what Certain Affinity did with Uplink. It’s an entirely different map than Condemned, but we didn’t need to buy DLC to get it. 343 can do the same thing with all of Bungie’s maps already. Just release a newer version of the map through someone’s file share.

> > Basically, Forge World itself can’t be updated.
> >
> > Nearly all of the game’s resources are stored in the maps, not in the core game engine. For example, there are no Warthogs in Halo: Reach; there are Warthogs in Reach’s maps, though. This is the same way it’s been done since Halo: Combat Evolved.
> >
> > In order for 343 to change anything in Forge World, they’d have to re-release it as an entirely new and separate DLC map.
>
> Or just do like what Certain Affinity did with Uplink. It’s an entirely different map than Condemned, but we didn’t need to buy DLC to get it. 343 can do the same thing with all of Bungie’s maps already. Just release a newer version of the map through someone’s file share.

Uplink is just a forge edited version on Condemmed.

> > > Basically, Forge World itself can’t be updated.
> > >
> > > Nearly all of the game’s resources are stored in the maps, not in the core game engine. For example, there are no Warthogs in Halo: Reach; there are Warthogs in Reach’s maps, though. This is the same way it’s been done since Halo: Combat Evolved.
> > >
> > > In order for 343 to change anything in Forge World, they’d have to re-release it as an entirely new and separate DLC map.
> >
> > Or just do like what Certain Affinity did with Uplink. It’s an entirely different map than Condemned, but we didn’t need to buy DLC to get it. 343 can do the same thing with all of Bungie’s maps already. Just release a newer version of the map through someone’s file share.
>
> Uplink is just a forge edited version on Condemmed.

You can place them doors that are on the map that blocks off a big proportion of it?

Blasphemy! Off with you’re head! We are going to have a map, the size of Oblivion! Lol i’m joking comrade, but maybe…just maybe we could see something.

Your only argument is ‘frame rate issue’ which I agree comes into the scene and can’t be avoided however I would like a snowy forge world with a snow skin just like Avalanche like on Halo 3, that was possible through a DLC map and I’m sure with play testing and such it could all be worked out. Although the pelican was hard as hell driving in the campaign, I’m not supporting for it to be in multiplayer.

I’m sure the TU is only going to be addressing some core gameplay mechanics, and nothing more. The only reasonable addition of content I can think of would be the inclusion of more armor variants… but even that is a stretch, and I don’t expect to see it happen. Either way I’m curious to see what changes they’ll bring come August.

I’m excited about the upcoming title update. It’ll do alot for the game but Unfortunatly Forge users Theres only so much a patch can Do.

What I’m hoping and anticipating they do is
Should definatly be there
-They’ll Fix Forge Worlds annoying Lag and make the system more User Friendly. This one should almost be a certainty and wouldn;t take to much to fix

-They may also remove the Killzones and Invisable Wars that plague Parts of the Map to open it up more. People have been asking for a large Somewhat flat area and there’s Plently of Space on the Cliffs above Hemorage and Asylum. It could be an easy quick fix to satisy the Forge Communties while 343 work on newer forgable maps. I particularly love the area above Asylum. Modders have shown that it can be Done and done easily so I see no reason why 343 cant do this or do this in a future Update. This would make alot of people happy

Maybe
-Add Powerhouse’s Scenery Forgeworlds to give users more Flexability and more Ideas either in this or a future Update.
It’ll allow users to expand beyond the usual grey and let people create intricite and interesting maps with Character. What to create a Zombie Themed map you can, How about UNSC themed possible with those Crates and the metal Pallet. Afterall its called Forgeworld and all those Crate’s, Pallets and that those antenna’s are already in the games code so its not impossible and Modders have shown it can be Done. Come on 343 make this happen :slight_smile:

Sorry Not Happening (I Know some of you want forgeworld to the best but some things just aren’t gonna happen)
-Changing Block Colours or Texture’s (Sorry folks even if Modders can do this It would soak up massive amounts of data and Ram and take way to much time to do Not to mention the hell in making communty maps work in matchmaking. If your going to fiddle around with these mechenics you may as well make a new Map)
-Changing the Size of Objects (As Above)
-Making Forgeworld Bigger (Beyond the CLiffs above hemmorage and asylum They cant make it bigger And I’ve already mentioned they should free those up in the above. Outside of those and the main map itself it is all just Poor Texture’s and Prerendered visual’s. Sure they could improve them but Again it would cause huge Matchmaking issues and would not fix any lag. The current cliff are fine for expansion as there already Solid and the textures are fine. But beyond those not happening)
-Adding New Piece’s (This 1 is highly demanded and I would love it to but the Reality is adding Stuff outside of the games code is While Possible would be expensive and Time Consuming not to mention the hassle of getting it to work in Matchmaking. While Adding Powerhouse’s or Any other Maps Scenery Sets to Forgeworld is most certinaly possible due to it already being on the disk and game. Anything truely new Like Pelicons, Scarabs, UNSC or Covenant Themed is Impossible. If they decide to do it they may as well make a new maps. However they may be able to add a weapon or 2 in the upcoming Anniverisry)
THats the Jist of it folks. Tho I could be wrong. Lets see what 343 does

OP, your post is saying the same thing as the text I’ve put in my profile, but more eloquently, civilly, and generally awesomely.

I like this thread.

c:

> You can place them doors that are on the map that blocks off a big proportion of it?

We can’t, but Bungie, 343, and… rulebreakers… can.

Technically, a map variant can refer to any resource that is defined in the map. So if Bungie wanted, they could probably release a map variant in which inactive and non-moving Spartans (commonly known as “clones”) have been placed all over the canvas. Those Spartans would be saved the same way that our Forge objects are saved; the only reason we can’t place Spartans in Forge is because they weren’t defined as “official” Forge objects.

(Certain… rulebreakers… did this a lot in Halo 3, to the point that it was almost cliche.)

So those doors in Uplink? They were defined in the map, so Bungie and 343 can use them. The only reason we can’t is because they weren’t specifically defined as being Forgeable. Older examples of this phenomenon include the shield doors on Snowbound, and the gold lift blocker on the Reach Beta’s Sword Base (only seen in asymmetrical objective games).

Solid post JP, nice to see a hint of sanity during such insane times. I honestly don’t expect anything to change in Forge in the TU. Forgeworld already has more than enough objects, adding more would as you said adversly affect gameplay.

I’m think there will be some new gametypes or gametype options. Angel mentioned the ability to turn off fall damage, I speculate their will be more options like that. Perhaps a Classic gametype, with an option to turn off bloom. And while I’m speculating, I also think we will see Headlong returning…as it was the only Halo 2 map that fall damage would break and Hang em High has already been announced.

=]

> Your only argument is ‘frame rate issue’ which I agree comes into the scene and can’t be avoided however I would like a snowy forge world with a snow skin just like Avalanche like on Halo 3, that was possible through a DLC map and I’m sure with play testing and such it could all be worked out. Although the pelican was hard as hell driving in the campaign, I’m not supporting for it to be in multiplayer.

The only issue? It is them most important one! Notice how no community maps in MM (for the most part) have no frame rate performance issues. Bungie would not pick a map for that small reason, so obviously it is important to not just Bungie but all people and companies involved in game design. My other argument is the fact that “adding” is not the point of a TU. It is to fix issues with it. Lastly, a “Snowy Forge World” isn’t something they can make a quick change on and release. There isn’t an option to just go to Forge World and add snow. To do so, is like making a whole new map. Which is like releasing a wholr new DLC pack which is not the point of it, and also considering that Forge World is over 10x a normal size map, it would take them a very long time to recreate.

How about being even more realistic and updating the OP with all the glitches in forge that should be fixed.

Once thats out of the way you can list minor features that you would like to see added.