TTK, Headshots, and Magazine size. A puzzle that needs adjustment

So the TTK itself in the game doesn’t seem bad to me but I find myself emptying entire clips at enemies without a kill far too often. I think this is related to the disparity of the TTK with and without headshots.

Starting with the bemoaned commando:. You have to hit 8 shots if you get a headshot otherwise you have to hit 11. 11 shots is 55% of the 20 round magazine and most people aren’t hitting 55% of their shots.

The sidekick is even worse. You have to hit 10 out of 12 shots (83%) to kill without a headshot but only 7 to kill with a headshot. Thankfully it reloads rather quick.

The AR on the other hand only takes 15 out of 36 shots to kill, only 42%, which is much more manageable and why it seems to be so successful right now.

The BR takes 7 bursts or 58% accuracy to kill without a headshot but I think the burst factor coupled with the recoil actually make headshots fairly easy. (If you’re only shooting 40% accuracy you still get 6 bullets, two bursts, to try to hit a headshot with the BR)

So to summarize, if for some reason you don’t hit a headshot, there’s a really strong chance you won’t finish a kill in a single clip. With aiming being so unwieldy at the moment it’s a losing proposition on most guns that aren’t the BR unless you’re just a super sweat pro. I think that the clip sizes need adjustment on some weapons to make them more useable and their TTKs competitive. Also, damage after shield drop probably needs to be increased on some guns that can’t headshot.

1 Like

So the TTK itself in the game doesn’t seem bad to me but I find myself emptying entire clips at enemies without a kill far too often. I think this is related to the disparity of the TTK with and without headshots.

that would be the skill ceiling. it’s good to have a large TTK disparity between good players and bad players, as opposed to Halo 4, where practically everyone landed clean 4-shots with the BR.

also, Infinite generally upped bodyshot damage. in Halo 3 the BR needed 4 bursts to the head, 7 to the body. Infinite requires 6 to the body. the magnum was historically also very difficult to kill with in one clip if you missed headshots, I find the sidekick to actually be pretty forgiving.

imo the problem is headshots are affecting weapons that have random spread, which makes them feel wildly inconsistent. the commando could maybe have its magazine capacity bumped up to 25 shots, but i’d prefer if its bloom was removed and damage was nerfed to compensate.

I understand the purpose of the skill ceiling but that’s not my point. The skill ceiling on the weapons itself is not well balanced. The skill ceiling for the commando is much higher than the ceiling is on the BR. Even if you’re a great shot, you’re not doing yourself any favors using the commando instead of the BR. Beyond that, there are many encounters where reloading is the difference between life and death or if you’re engaging more than one enemy it matters. If the Commando had a magazine size of 25 or 30 then it might be more competitive, or even possibly OP, but as it is now its shallow mag makes it a huge liability. The deep magazines on the AR and BR make them top tier.

Beyond that, the bulldog, mauler, and pulse carbine are almost all useless at present. The starting AR or BR is better in most situations.

(also, I will note that I’m having fantastic fun with the old noob combo (plasma pistol + BR). Reminds me of the Halo 2 days.)

1 Like