TrueSkill Ranking System Idea

Hello everyone,

I was slightly disappointed with 343i when they stated there would be no in-game UI True skill ranking system in Halo4. I was also disappointed at the fact that they mentioned CSR, which is pretty much Reach’s BPR and can only be viewed on a website. I came up with a better idea one night.

I thought, possibly, a TU could release for Halo 4, and my idea just might work. If not, then there is always a possibility that 343i would see this thread, and maybe consider this system to be implemented into future Halo titles.

I assure you, this system is bullet-proof. By this, I mean you cannot boost. Whatsoever.

So, basically the ranking system is divided into Divisions. There are 7 divisions in total. The divisions are: S,A,B,C,D,E and F. F being n00bs and S being the top 5000 players. Each division has 15 ranks.
You level up by earning XP in matches. Similar to Halo 4 now, but there’s a twist. When you kill someone, you will gain 10XP. But, if you die, you get -10XP. Everything pretty much has a counter, meaning it is possible to de-rank, but once you hit a new division, you cannot de-rank back to your previous division. Here’s a list:
Kill = +10XP
Death = -10XP
Win = +45XP
Loss = -45XP
Betrayal = -10XP
End game with positive KDR = +20XP
End game with negative KDR = -20XP
End game with 0 kills = -100XP (This is to stop boosters that sit there and jump)
Played 3 matches in one day, each ending with you having 0 kills = -1000XP (Also to stop boosters. Joining games late negates this)
Assist +2XP
Perfection = +35XP

Those are the only things in matchmaking that you can lose and gain XP from. Getting flag captures, or holding oddballs does not grant bonus XP, as these objectives are team based, which does not reflect on the player’s skill.

Now, when searching for players in matchmaking, you will only be matched up with players who are in your division. That means, a game will never start with Division F players, and a couple guys are Division A. The only time different divisions can mix is in Custom games, Social playlists or if you are Division A and can get matched with Division S players.

If 343i wishes to keep custom loadouts in next Halo titles, then it would work like this. Each division grants new unlocks. So, in Division F, you will only be allowed certain AA, tactical/support upgrades, a magnum, AR and frags. Division E will grant you BR/DMR, more AA and upgrades. Division D will grant you Covenant weapons and so on. This way, the game is perfectly balanced, as each Division will only be allowed use of the same weapons and upgrades, and will be matched up together.

In each Division, there are 15 ranks. Rank F1 will take 150XP to rank up. F2 will take 200XP. Each level will increase by 50. So, to rank up from F15 to D1, it will take 900XP. Once D1 is reached, it will start back down at 150XP to level.

At the end of the game, there will be NO game completion XP.

Now, to solve the quitting games because of lag issue, when players are voting for maps, the system would have chosen already a host for the game. The system will then run a quick scan of all the player’s ping to that host. If the ping of a player exceeds 150, then that player will be allowed to leave the match without being given a penalty. The penalty for leaving a match with a ping UNDER 150, will result in a 2 minute ban, and a -50XP.

As you can see, this ranking system is booster proof. Division A players can’t boost their Division F friends. Players can’t AFK in matches as they will actually de-rank, if you want to rank up you have to contribute, and try to win for that bonus XP.

So, give me your feedback. If this thread gets popular and people like this ranking system, maybe 343i will take notice. I’m sick of easy games, I want a challenge. I want to feel like matches matter. At the moment, I couldn’t care less for Halo 4 matchmaking games. If I’m losing, I can just quit out. It’s silly.

Thanks

343 are adding some kind of true skill system for each playlist next year I think.

Yes it is called CSR. It is basically BPR from Reach and it’s not in-game, but can only be viewed via Waypoint.

That’s not that bad of an idea. <strike>I just think that 900 points to rank up in a division is not enough.<strike> Oops, never mind, 900 points is more than enough. Let me do some math here:

There are 7 divisions:
7 x 900 = 6,300 points to be the highest Rank.

To get to the highest division
6 x 900 = 5,400 points

Know lets look at my KD and the points received. My KD is 1.56, let’s make it an easier number to work with, so let’s say my KD was 1.5. Now let’s say that I average 15 kills per game and only 10 deaths.

15 kills x 10 = +150 points
10 deaths x (-10) = -100 points
The delta is +50 points.

With an average of 5 assists per game and a 50/50 win percentage, I would be receiving around 60 points per game.

For me to reach max division and rank.
6,300 / 60 = 105 matches.

This obviously does not include the increase in difficulty to achieve these scores when in a higher, more competitive division. I would assume, my KD would be closer to 1.0 in division 5 (B) thus I would not be able to rank any higher unless I was playing with a good team that was winning games on a regular basis.

Overall, it seems that this type of ranking system could work.

Nice math there buddy. But it’s slightly wrong.

It’s not 900XP for every division. Lets use Division B for example.
so:
B1 - B2 = 150XP
B2 - B3 = 200XP
B3 - B4 = 250XP
B4 - B5 = 300XP
B5 - B6 = 350XP
B6 - B7 = 400XP
B7 - B8 = 450XP
B8 - B9 = 500XP
B9 - B10 = 550XP
B10 - B11 = 600XP
B11 - B12 = 650XP
B12 - B13 = 700XP
B13 - B14 = 750XP
B14 - B15 = 800XP

In total that is 6650XP per division or 104 matches per division. Doing this math now, it kinda seems like a lot. I’d say around 50 games (if you are lucky) should rank you up to the next division.

So that would mean:
B1 - B2 = 75XP
B2 - B3 = 100XP
B3 - B4 = 125XP

So it goes up by 25XP every level. Equal to 3325XP per division. But, as you said, when you get to a higher rank it should be harder.

Or we can just have a traditional halo 1-50 that doesn’t take into account individual stats but your teams just like halo 2 and 3 had. Individual stats being the cause for your rank take away from the team aspects and no one really cares about playing for the team, which isn’t how halo is meant to be played.

and this idea isn’t good, it’s similar to reach’s arena and we all know how well that worked. What the competitive community want is 1-50 and nothing like this is going to make us happy

No, the 1-50 system has boosters and all sorts of exploiters that ruin the game for everyone. My idea pushes even more teamwork than a 1-50 system. You just try to get kills a whole game, you will end up with very little XP, because you will lose the match. A kill is worth 10XP. I might even think about changing it to 5XP. But winning a match gives you a huge bonus of 45XP. You are going to want to win. If you get 12 kills in a match (120XP) then die 10 times (-100XP) then you’ll only get 20XP. If that games was a loss you will end up losing XP (-25). But that game ended with you having a positive KDR so you’ll get 20XP. Which means the game ends with you losing 5XP. So, people will realize that winning matches, in the end will benefit them more.

> No, the 1-50 system has boosters and all sorts of exploiters that ruin the game for everyone. My idea pushes even more teamwork than a 1-50 system. You just try to get kills a whole game, you will end up with very little XP, because you will lose the match. A kill is worth 10XP. I might even think about changing it to 5XP. But winning a match gives you a huge bonus of 45XP. You are going to want to win. If you get 12 kills in a match (120XP) then die 10 times (-100XP) then you’ll only get 20XP. If that games was a loss you will end up losing XP (-25). But that game ended with you having a positive KDR so you’ll get 20XP. Which means the game ends with you losing 5XP. So, people will realize that winning matches, in the end will benefit them more.

This idea doesn’t push for more teamwork, the only way to skill up with 1-50 is by winning, this system gives you points according to what you do in game which is stupid. The point is to win, at any cost and when you’re not worrying about your K/D or any of that crap teamwork just flows and everyone has the same mindset.

And for your stuff about boosters, seriously they were nothing like the problem people make them out to be, you would maybe have a 1% chance of getting a booster in a game of halo 3 and it was mainly in doubles, other playlist had close to no problems and no matter your system people will find a way to break it and cheat it.