"Trueskill" needs a major overhaul...

The last game I played, me, an average (many would say below average, 1.13 k/d) player got an Untouchable Perfection in Rumble Pit in the Majestic FFA DLC. How did this happen?

Sure, I got Rockets first, and second. Only racked up 5 kills with them. Didn’t use the DMR. Tried out the assault rifle on the smaller map. Got about a dozen kills with a shotgun. The player that came in 2nd only got 8 kills. EIGHT. Not only did Trueskill manage NOT to put me in with players that were on my skill level, they somehow managed to put me into a game where I seemed MLG in comparison. If I could download from the fileshare to put on youtube I would, but man…WHAT THE HELL…

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that Trueskill only caters to the top tier players. Anyone with a K/D less than 1.5 or so gets thrown into a match together. I have no proof to back this up but from the games I’ve played, about half are even, a quarter I dominate, and the other quarter I get dominated.

It kinda boggles my mind to think there’s actually an invisible system that does this, but c’mon. How can there be a “join in” system WITH the “Trueskill” system…AT THE SAME TIME?! That makes no sense at all.

At least I got an Untouchable Perfection… :-/

no dood be grateful
that auto-aim magic is there to help dudebros like us get noscopes on scrubs
what do you want? more bullets and alien dudes to noscope?
because I want that dude

Seriously though, I didn’t know there was such a thing as Untouchable and Perfection at the same time.

Did you just come on here to brag about getting a perfection? What are you complaining about?

> no dood be grateful
> that auto-aim magic is there to help dudebros like us get noscopes on scrubs
> what do you want? more bullets and alien dudes to noscope?
> because I want that dude
>
> Seriously though, I didn’t know there was such a thing as Untouchable and Perfection at the same time.

I got 25 kills in a row without dying. So I got a point towards my perfection commendation. And umm…the shotgun doesn’t have THAT much autoaim does it? Didn’t seem to. I missed quite a few shots. At least two guys had to take three shots to kill because I missed the first one. That’s beside the point, though.

I was sloppy and I still dominated.

> Did you just come on here to brag about getting a perfection? What are you complaining about?

I’m not bragging about anything. Its my first ever. I’m happy about that. I’ve gotten another perfection before on Solace but that was just me camping at my base with Promethean Vision and a shotgun. They just kept coming.

What I’m complaining about is the fact that I dominated this game and I’m not that good a player. Maybe its because the FFADLC playlist’s population is so low. Someone like me isn’t supposed to get perfections. In Halo 3, 4, and Reach, I’ve gotten four perfections, including this one, but NEVER one that was that easy. It was like I was going up against Campaign grunts.

In a few words; It’s not TrueSkill it’s the game’s population. In this case, the lower population of the Majestic playlist. The lower the population the harder it is for the game to make proper TrueSkill pairings. That is all.

How Matchmaking Works - A Basic Overview

Actually TrueSkill had to be dumbed down in previous Halo games and other Xbox Live games due to being too accurate within as little as 3-6 games played. Bungie stated this in a number of presentations when working closely with Xbox Live and making Halo 2/3.

The other factor you are not interpreting is available population pools in the playlist, region and time you are playing in at any given time. There are many complex factors that combine to match players or parties when searching for a game.

It’s not always TrueSkill that’s responsible, sometimes after a long enough wait the parameters are widened so you at least get to play a game.