True Skill Ranking System a must have?

I would like to know everyone’s thoughts on this. I have been having conversations about the return of a H3 style ranking system since pre-launch Halo 4, and from what I’m hearing Halo fans are disappointed with the past two titles catering to the “casual gamer.” Personally, I have seen my friends list digress from the majority of players playing H3 working on their 50’s to the majority of players now playing the newest COD title instead. Are others experiencing this as well? If so, does this trend mean that Halo is doomed as a competitive fps? Must halo bring back a H3 style 1-50 ranking system to bring back the glory days of Halo? Share your thoughts.

The 200-300K player days are probably over, but a ranking system will at least prevent the population from tanking completely in the first year.

Ranks aren’t enough, though. Longevity also comes from a steep and enjoyable learning curve, not just from filling progression bars.

I would like something similar to Halo 3’s 1-50 ranking system implemented in Halo on Xbox One. Like it or not, it was VERY popular among the competitive community.

As a personal note, I miss the days of seeing heart-racing games where the score is 49-49. The 1-50 system is what produced such an effect.

People moving from an old halo to the newer games is always bound to happen. Its just the way things are. But you should look at the fact the people played it that long. That’s how good it was and had that much replay ability.

I would love to see a true skill based rank system again. I am by no means a legendary halo player and I don’t think I ever will. I was however good. The tru skill made it easier to find people my skill level and actually made me get better as a player.

The halo 3 true skill can be improved though. I’m not really sure where and how to make the changes to that particular system but I know abandoning it completely was a poor choice. (one change could be the deranking problem)

The CSR rank basing has a place in halo as it stand now but it shouldn’t be put on top of everything else. I think maybe the csr could go into firefight better than true skill if done right.

That’s just my 2 cents.

> I would like something similar to Halo 3’s 1-50 ranking system implemented in Halo on Xbox One. Like it or not, it was VERY popular among the competitive community.
>
> As a personal note, I miss the days of seeing heart-racing games where the score is 49-49. The 1-50 system is what produced such an effect.

That heart pounding effect is exactly the effect I hope to experience once again with the next Halo title. Perhaps 343 will give us some insight as to what they hope to accomplish in regards to this. There must be 343 members that feel the same…

> The 200-300K player days are probably over, but a ranking system will at least prevent the population from tanking completely in the first year.
>
> Ranks aren’t enough, though. Longevity also comes from a steep and enjoyable learning curve, not just from filling progression bars.

I couldn’t agree more, however, I still have a great deal of optimism that a great Halo game is just around the corner. I realize population numbers are dwindling, but I hope the 200 - 300k days will return. There was so much hype carried from Halo CE to Halo 2 and it peaked during the golden days of Halo 3. I think if 343 advertised the upcoming title as “the return of the golden days” so to speak, and built a game with that goal in mind, it could come to fruition.

What do you all believe?
Will Halo ever be as big as it once was?
Can 343 build such a game with that much longevity?

True Skill Ranking is a must have.

And as I believe was suggested by FANZBOB. You have the 1 playlist. But you choose if you want to play ranked or social. And that is what you play. Each and every playlist will have a RANKED and SOCIAL choice. This caters for all players, competitive and casual.

This is what Halo 2 and Halo 3 did right. Bungie didn’t try make a competitive game or a casual game. They made a great game, that the player could choose if they wanted a competitive or social experience with playlist having ranked and unranked options.

Halo 5 just needs to bring this back. And let the player choose if they want to play competitive or social.

Halo REACH and Halo 4, gave us no options. And lesser skilled players are matched with higher skill players and the games are not equal or fair and unfun. They really need to fix this for the next Halo.

Hhhmmmm…Maybe. As long as it’s not broken like Halo 4’s CSR I would be cool with it.

> True Skill Ranking is a must have.
>
> And as I believe was suggested by FANZBOB. You have the 1 playlist. But you choose if you want to play ranked or social. And that is what you play. Each and every playlist will have a RANKED and SOCIAL choice. This caters for all players, competitive and casual.
>
> This is what Halo 2 and Halo 3 did right. Bungie didn’t try make a competitive game or a casual game. They made a great game, that the player could choose if they wanted a competitive or social experience with playlist having ranked and unranked options.
>
> Halo 5 just needs to bring this back. And let the player choose if they want to play competitive or social.
>
> Halo REACH and Halo 4, gave us no options. And lesser skilled players are matched with higher skill players and the games are not equal or fair and unfun. They really need to fix this for the next Halo.

There really is no point in having ranked for every playlist, a few playlists with ranked is all there needs to be. Another game for example is Gears of War 3, all the social playlists can also be played in ranked but ranked is essentially dead.

Halo Reach did give us a bit of option, Arena was the place for that. But the social playlists was still the most popular simply because social is a lot more accessible to most gamers.
Meanwhile in Halo 4 everything is ranked one way or another with CSR, the downside is the game mixes ranked elements with social elements such as guests and join in progress.

> Hhhmmmm…Maybe. As long as it’s not broken like Halo 4’s CSR I would be cool with it.

Halo 4’s CSR is mostly only broken due to the fact there isn’t a population to support it. Doesn’t matter how good the system is if it’s hard to find people anyway.

I’d love for this to return. Not only would it give players a reason to try and improve their skills, but it would also increase the lifespan of the game tremendously! I only recently got done playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and that’s because it took me forever to complete that final challenge. It gave me something to try and achieve, it gave me a goal! I want 343i to push me to be the best player I can, not make it easier for me so that I don’t have to try as hard. Earning the highest rank in a game should be about skill and devotion, not about goofing around for however long as it takes to get there.

I’m not even one of those super serious MLG players, I just like for games to challenge me to be the best I can be. Halo 4’s multiplayer didn’t asks me to try and get good at it, so I never really did and that saddens me. I mean, it was more of a challenge for me to get specific armors and emblems than it was for me to get the highest rank. I love being challenged to get emblems/armor (if the emblems/armor are worth it), but I’d also love to be challenged to be the best rank in the game.

Personally I think your skill level should reflect just that…your skill. Not how long you’ve played which was the problem with Reach’s system.

I also think unlocks, especially armour, should be tied into achievements like it was with H3. If not all, at least some.

There’s no real drive for me to get armour in Reach or H4. I’d get them eventually if I played enough, and that made it boring.

~ Duck.

No, if they continue to do so in future titles then it will only hurt the game. Custom loadout’s should only work in Forge settings.

Be sure to drop ‘points’ as well. 1 kill = 1 point.

Make sure that 13-3 is better for ‘CSR / ranking’ than 15-18.

Believe it or not the ranks are just as important to average people like myself (I was 28 I believe in Halo 3). I play very casually but love to have a challenge / goal as well.

And for the love of all things holy, no POD / kill streaks… lol

Not just trying to be funny or smug here… but seriously, whoever thought that could fit in Halo…

Halo 2’s ranking system was much better, it had a lot more depth between ranks.

Where with Trueskill, a mediocre player could easily hit 40-45. In Halo 2, a mediocre player was generally stuck between 10 and 15. Players who were 50s in Halo 3 were down at 25-30 in Halo 2. With only the absolute best, and hackers/cheaters really pushing any higher than that.

An unlike Halo 3, it wasn’t a boostable system, and you couldn’t get “locked” in a rank, incapable of going up or down anymore until the end of time.

I think that perhaps one thing is evident. Players want to be given the ability to choose between ranked and social to provide a more balanced experience. Social is fun for warming up or even just chilling out playing Halo, but at the same time, players need a place to go where their skills will be tested, and not like the arena in Reach (total bust) - a ranked - social split H3 style?

How do we voice our opinions to 343?
I think 343 is great, but will they listen to us?
What are they currently doing to appease forum members?
Will an admin reply?

> Personally I think your skill level should reflect just that…your skill. Not how long you’ve played which was the problem with Reach’s system.
>
> I also think unlocks, especially armour, should be tied into achievements like it was with H3. If not all, at least some.
>
> There’s no real drive for me to get armour in Reach or H4. I’d get them eventually if I played enough, and that made it boring.
>
> ~ Duck.

It seems as though many agree with you.

> > True Skill Ranking is a must have.
> >
> > And as I believe was suggested by FANZBOB. You have the 1 playlist. But you choose if you want to play ranked or social. And that is what you play. Each and every playlist will have a RANKED and SOCIAL choice. This caters for all players, competitive and casual.
> >
> > This is what Halo 2 and Halo 3 did right. Bungie didn’t try make a competitive game or a casual game. They made a great game, that the player could choose if they wanted a competitive or social experience with playlist having ranked and unranked options.
> >
> > Halo 5 just needs to bring this back. And let the player choose if they want to play competitive or social.
> >
> > Halo REACH and Halo 4, gave us no options. And lesser skilled players are matched with higher skill players and the games are not equal or fair and unfun. They really need to fix this for the next Halo.
>
> There really is no point in having ranked for every playlist, a few playlists with ranked is all there needs to be. Another game for example is Gears of War 3, all the social playlists can also be played in ranked but ranked is essentially dead.
>
> Halo Reach did give us a bit of option, Arena was the place for that. But the social playlists was still the most popular simply because social is a lot more accessible to most gamers.
> Meanwhile in Halo 4 everything is ranked one way or another with CSR, the downside is the game mixes ranked elements with social elements such as guests and join in progress.

I be happy with the Halo 2/3 system where Ranked/Social had their own playlist. And not the one as I originally suggested.

It was just unfortunate that the REACH Arena was a complete fail. Bungie had high hopes for it. But it had a very tiny player list. I think I only have played 5 games if that of it.

Whatever 343 do, they do need to have ranked and social. Just hope they implement it well. Splitting the two worked great for Halo 2/3, so should still work now.

> I think that perhaps one thing is evident. Players want to be given the ability to choose between ranked and social to provide a more balanced experience. Social is fun for warming up or even just chilling out playing Halo, but at the same time, players need a place to go where their skills will be tested, and not like the arena in Reach (total bust) - a ranked - social split H3 style?

Agree.

It just how do 343 implement it. I will be happy if we have both choices and it easy to choose between Ranked and Social.

The 2 main ways of doing this are:
Option 1:
Follow the H2/H3 system. Where when choosing the playlist you want to play they are split into Ranked and Social (IE)

RANKED:
Loan Wolf
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Big Team Battle
SOCIAL:
Rumble Pit
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Big Team Battle

Option 2:
You have option to choose to play Ranked and Social. There is only the 1 list of Playlist available.
PLAYLIST:
Loan Wolf
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Big Team Battle

One issue with this, is that some gametypes are better suited/designed to be ranked or social only. This limits those options. But simplified the playlist by having a single list.

If you have a better idea than what I have suggested, please post.

> > I think that perhaps one thing is evident. Players want to be given the ability to choose between ranked and social to provide a more balanced experience. Social is fun for warming up or even just chilling out playing Halo, but at the same time, players need a place to go where their skills will be tested, and not like the arena in Reach (total bust) - a ranked - social split H3 style?
>
> Agree.
>
> It just how do 343 implement it. I will be happy if we have both choices and it easy to choose between Ranked and Social.
>
> The 2 main ways of doing this are:
> Option 1:
> Follow the H2/H3 system. Where when choosing the playlist you want to play they are split into Ranked and Social (IE)
>
> RANKED:
> Loan Wolf
> Team Slayer
> Team Objective
> Big Team Battle
> SOCIAL:
> Rumble Pit
> Team Slayer
> Team Objective
> Big Team Battle
>
> Option 2:
> You have option to choose to play Ranked and Social. There is only the 1 list of Playlist available.
> PLAYLIST:
> Loan Wolf
> Team Slayer
> Team Objective
> Big Team Battle
>
> One issue with this, is that some gametypes are better suited/designed to be ranked or social only. This limits those options. But simplified the playlist by having a single list.
>
> If you have a better idea than what I have suggested, please post.

Where is Team Doubles ranked? :frowning: