Trend for future First Person Shooters?

Interesting article here: Did Call of Duty ruin a generation of gamers?

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/did-call-of-duty-ruin-a-generation-of-gamers--248666.phtml#uUSqCV83Bm8SKlOr.99

Talks about how a dev is pretty much forced to adopt the COD gameplay style for a new first person shooter. Here’s a quote from the dev (from the article):

"Almost every element boiled down to ‘it doesn’t feel like Call of Duty.’ And really, watching some of these guys play … one of the things that Call of Duty does, and it’s smart business, to a degree, is they compress the skill gap. And the way you compress the skill gap as a designer is you add a whole bunch of randomness. A whole bunch of weaponry that doesn’t require any skill to get kills.

Random spawns, massive cone fire on your weapons. Lots of devices that can get kills with zero skill at all, and you know, it’s kind of smart to compress your skill gap to a degree. You don’t want the elite players to destroy the new players so bad that new players can never get into the game and enjoy it."

Also, I think, the author failed to realize that 343i took this approach with Halo 4 as well.

John Gibson sounds like a video game -Yoink!-. Who cares what game people decide to play? It’s the person’s choice to play the game. The game doesn’t choose the person.

Halo 4s weapons are harder to use by comparison, and nothing is getting kills for me. Also halo is not just about guns, many often forget halo is a sandbox shooter and not linear one.

> Halo 4s weapons are <mark>harder to use by comparison</mark>, and nothing is getting kills for me. Also halo is not just about guns, many often forget halo is a sandbox shooter and not linear one.

No they’re not.

I play Call of Duty, and it’s really not that hard anymore. Why do you think the two most popular setups are:

Assault Rifle

Jetpack

Boltshot

Stickies

and

DMR

PV/AC

Boltshot

Stickies.

I’ve honestly had more trouble with ballistics knives in Black ops 2 than I have with stickies in Halo 4, which is beyond ridiculous. Halo 4 has the same, if not more aim assist and magnetism than Call of Duty black ops 2 and has less variety of skillful spawn weapons.

Halo 4’s weapons: Shoot Farther, Track More and have VASTLY more aim assist than BO2. The saving point is that you can’t spawn with a shotgun or a sniper.

Halo 4 is more skilled overall for one reason: It’s not a “I see you therefore I get to kill you” type of game, although it’s turning into one very quickly.

You got to be kidding me. Im still bad at sniping in halo 4. In cod, kills from sniping are handed to me. And im pretty sure the br is harder to use than the 60 -Yoinking!- automatic weapons in that game, which by the way have no variety. Aim assist is not vastly higher in cod, your on crack. Your crossheirs will follow the person if they are close enough, this doesnt exist in halo, and are you ignoring strafe? Because that also makes killing harder. Stickies have always been easier to use, and the ballistic knife is the only weapon in that game that has no aim assist or magnetism, and the only skillfull weapon in that game.

> Aim assist is not vastly higher in cod, your on crack. Your crossheirs will follow the person if they are close enough, this doesnt exist in halo,

If I sprint at someone with an automatic out, and ever so slightly move my cross hair, I will pretty much lock onto that person.

> > Aim assist is not vastly higher in cod, your on crack. Your crossheirs will follow the person if they are close enough, this doesnt exist in halo,
>
> If I sprint at someone with an automatic out, and ever so slightly move my cross hair, I will pretty much lock onto that person.

No not at all, it becomes red but it doesnt follow their movements, at least not in my experiences.

> > Aim assist is not vastly higher in cod, your on crack. Your crossheirs will follow the person if they are close enough, this doesnt exist in halo,
>
> If I sprint at someone with an automatic out, and ever so slightly move my cross hair, I will pretty much lock onto that person.

Your crossheir becomes red, it does in no way track movements or swing to the target on its own like it does in cod.

>

Your reticule becomes red, it does not track the movement of the target like in cod

This article was already linked to earlier today.

This is not Halo4 material but you will find an open thread here: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst195306_Good-Article-About-COD-s-ruining-FPS-gaming.aspx