Travel time between Earth and the Installations.

So I’ve recently been reading into the EU a lot more, and it has never been specific how long the trips are between Earth and each of the Halo installations through
slipspace.

I tried researching the distance between the rings and planets, especially Alpha Halo and Earth, but I cannot seem to find any information or exact numbers on Waypoint, Halopedia, or Halo Alpha. If I had those numbers I could do the math by myself because I know that the UNSC can travel 2.1 ly per day.

Anybody know where I can find this information? Is the trip through slipspace long enough that some of the crew may opt to enter cryosleep?

Thanks

> 2535414721956018;1:
> So I’ve recently been reading into the EU a lot more, and it has never been specific how long the trips are between Earth and each of the Halo installations through
> slipspace.
>
> I tried researching the distance between the rings and planets, especially Alpha Halo and Earth, but I cannot seem to find any information or exact numbers on Waypoint, Halopedia, or Halo Alpha. If I had those numbers I could do the math by myself because I know that the UNSC can travel 2.1 ly per day.
>
> Anybody know where I can find this information? Is the trip through slipspace long enough that some of the crew may opt to enter cryosleep?
>
> Thanks

Humanity’s ships have the cryo-chambers because it can take months to travel between systems, though the precise travel time is largely dependant on how good the particular slipspace engine they’re using is, because with the acquisition of Covenant and Forerunner engines, the UNSC has been advancing their speed and precision of slipspace drives extensively.

In the following thread, they say the Portal took Truth’s fleet to the Ark in one month, but with the UNSC’s technology at the time, without the portal it took them 8 months to get to the Ark. I’d assume closer destinations would be proportionately shorter lengths of time.
another thread on the same subject.

It’s kinda hard to establish exact travel times between locations in the Halo Universe thanks to the unpredictable nature of slipspace. There have been instances where it takes weeks for one trip, but over a month for others. I remember in one of the books it’s mentioned that a ship actually registered arriving at its destination point before it technically entered slipspace at its departure point. I think it was mentioned in one of the extra sections added at the end of Fall of Reach.

The Forerunners had mastery of slipspace, but humanity is still getting the hang of it. Though after the end of the Covenant War, it seems that humanity has gotten much better at it.

Slipspace times have always been a mess, doesn’t help that slipspace tech advanced alot during the war. Distances arent even reliable as mentioned, i think its the Jackal homeworld that’s actually really close despite never really being brought up as a thing.

Fall of Reach, despite talking about how long slipspace transits were, also seems to depict them as pretty fast. For example, Halsey is said to have personally visited all 75 candidates in the outer colonies, with John being the first. A bout a week and a month later the kids wake up on Reach. Which makes the 'months to travel across UNSC space" kind of dubious given the S-II’s were from the outer colonies, and spread out. So in a month and a week halsey visited somewhere around 30-75 planets (assuming some planets have more than 1 kid) and had oni in place to kidnap all these kids and get them back to Reach, the innermost inner colony.

Given that amounts to like, 37 days, she’d have to visit like 10 kids a day if traveling from the outer colonies to Reach takes a month. And unless UNSC space is a line, presumably it’d take time to go between planets.

In Halo4, how long was the jump that Chief made while suction cupping onto the back of a Lich? I can’t remember the cinematic very well. Did he traverse his way into the ship DURING the Slipspace jump? Then just find a corner to take a nap for a few day/weeks?

> 2591580321307319;5:
> In Halo4, how long was the jump that Chief made while suction cupping onto the back of a Lich? I can’t remember the cinematic very well. Did he traverse his way into the ship DURING the Slipspace jump? Then just find a corner to take a nap for a few day/weeks?

I mean Forerunner slipspace technology was extremely advanced compared to Covenant or UNSC slipspace drives. I guess the only way to explain it is that the trip took less than a day, or the Chief found a way inside the Lich. However I am relatively sure that the Chief remained outside the Lich the entire trip, but that’s just based off my memory.

However, that still wouldn’t explain why when the Chief chased the Didact through slipspace on his way to Earth that that the trip only seemed to last a few minutes.
Slipspace is very unreliable in terms of time. It all depends on the destination and the way slipspace flows. For example, a trip to a certain planet, lets say Sanghelios, could hypothetically take a shorter time to get to than Reach which is much closer. It really just depends on the Slipspace lanes and the unpredictable way it moves. The most we can chalk it up to be is that it was that rare instance where the journey from Gamma Halo to Earth is already a short enough slipspace trip as it is, plus the incredibly advanced Slipspace drive of the Mantle’s Approach.

Or, to make it more simple, just chalk it up to the Mantle’s Approach having a pretty insane slipspace drive, and that it only took a few minutes lol.

> 2535414721956018;6:
> > 2591580321307319;5:
> > In Halo4, how long was the jump that Chief made while suction cupping onto the back of a Lich? I can’t remember the cinematic very well. Did he traverse his way into the ship DURING the Slipspace jump? Then just find a corner to take a nap for a few day/weeks?
>
> I mean Forerunner slipspace technology was extremely advanced compared to Covenant or UNSC slipspace drives. I guess the only way to explain it is that the trip took less than a day, or the Chief found a way inside the Lich. However I am relatively sure that the Chief remained outside the Lich the entire trip, but that’s just based off my memory.
>
> However, that still wouldn’t explain why when the Chief chased the Didact through slipspace on his way to Earth that that the trip only seemed to last a few minutes.
> Slipspace is very unreliable in terms of time. It all depends on the destination and the way slipspace flows. For example, a trip to a certain planet, lets say Sanghelios, could hypothetically take a shorter time to get to than Reach which is much closer. It really just depends on the Slipspace lanes and the unpredictable way it moves. The most we can chalk it up to be is that it was that rare instance where the journey from Gamma Halo to Earth is already a short enough slipspace trip as it is, plus the incredibly advanced Slipspace drive of the Mantle’s Approach.
>
> Or, to make it more simple, just chalk it up to the Mantle’s Approach having a pretty insane slipspace drive, and that it only took a few minutes lol.

That actually makes sense. We learned about slipspace reconciliation in the Greg Bear books. It’s possible that Mantle’s Approach was aided by the 100,000 years of limited Forerunner slipspace activity. Which would be very helpful, because Chief’s grip is only so reliable.