Trading kills

Why is that Reach is the only Halo game that you can trade kills with weapons such as the DMR, pistol, sniper, needle rifle, AR, etc and beatdowns.

I never had any experience trading kill with weapons in any halo game and the fact that you can see this type of stuff when playing games like SWAT, Team DMR’s, and Snipers. It ruins the gameplay in general and makes the game unblanced. If your trying to control a certain area in the game and if both players are 1 shot and they have DMR’s, they have a possability of both trading and ruining a chance of turning the game around in thier favor.

The current beatdown system has been around Halo 3, but in Halo: Reach its not suited for that type gameplay. The system need to be tweaked a little bit since there is no bleed through involved with the game.

What?

> What?

Player A shots Player B with a DMR
Player B shots Player A with a DMR as well
Player A shoots a second a early and hits player B
Player B dies, but withen that second he shoots and the DMR still goes off and kills Player A
Player A dies a second after Player B dies aka Trading kills

giving an example of the beatdown system is not needed. Unless you don’t know the mechanics of the game that much

It’s just their way of imitating a LAN system. Remember in previous Halo games there would be things such as, “I shot my rocket but it didn’t register!”. Well, this new system attempts to remedy that.

Oh. I like it though :slight_smile:

> It’s just their way of imitating a LAN system. Remember in previous Halo games there would be things such as, “I shot my rocket but it didn’t register!”. Well, this new system attempts to remedy that.

But it goes further than that. If all it was doing was accounting for what happened on each player’s screen, then I should NEVER see my own gun fire after I have died. The only way it should work is to account for my gun firing before I died on my screen, but that actually taking place after my death on the host’s screen. As it is, I’ve often seen my own DMR fire a bullet and get the headshot after I have died, which goes beyond accounting for discrepancy between screens and just ends up as a tiny version of the second chance perk from CoD.

The upshot of the huge kill trade window isn’t so bad in terms of DMR battles though. Whilst it’s annoying, it generally just finishes a kill that would have gotten cleaned up anyway, obviously this isn’t always true but there are worse instances tbh. It KILLS using a shotgun against a sword, as the sword carrier will still beat you down after their death more often than not. Shotty should be the ultimate counter to a sword, but as it is they should just change the description for the Bulltrue medal to ‘traded kills with a sword carrier.’ I saw no problem with the H3 trade window, netcode can only go so far in accounting for poor connection before it starts eating away at the game itself, which I think this example does.

> It’s just their way of imitating a LAN system. Remember in previous Halo games there would be things such as, “I shot my rocket but it didn’t register!”. Well, this new system attempts to remedy that.

But then that actually leaves to unblanced gameplay online and a lot of BS stuff if you think about. At least in Halo 3 you rarely saw it and it was cause of lag issues and and connections. In Reach you can diminish as bad game mechanics and not connection

> > It’s just their way of imitating a LAN system. Remember in previous Halo games there would be things such as, “I shot my rocket but it didn’t register!”. Well, this new system attempts to remedy that.
>
> But it goes further than that. If all it was doing was accounting for what happened on each player’s screen, then I should NEVER see my own gun fire after I have died. The only way it should work is to account for my gun firing before I died on my screen, but that actually taking place after my death on the host’s screen. As it is, I’ve often seen my own DMR fire a bullet and get the headshot after I have died, which goes beyond accounting for discrepancy between screens and just ends up as a tiny version of the second chance perk from CoD.
>
> The upshot of the huge kill trade window isn’t so bad in terms of DMR battles though. Whilst it’s annoying, it generally just finishes a kill that would have gotten cleaned up anyway, obviously this isn’t always true but there are worse instances tbh. It KILLS using a shotgun against a sword, as the sword carrier will still beat you down after their death more often than not. Shotty should be the ultimate counter to a sword, but as it is they should just change the description for the Bulltrue medal to ‘traded kills with a sword carrier.’ I saw no problem with the H3 trade window, netcode can only go so far in accounting for poor connection before it starts eating away at the game itself, which I think this example does.

I seen that happen in Griffball as well. Even though I get a bulltrue with the hammer I still die or when carrying the bomb I melee the sword and get a bulltrue yet i still get hurt.

You know those times in CoD where you swear you killed the other player but in the deathcam you see that you died almost a second or two sooner than even on your screen?

Well in Halo, the same thing has always happened but there was never a deathcam to see it. Connection to host always rules. And if you have more than 33% health advantage over the enemy to boot, melee for the wiiiiiin!!

In Halo: Reach, though the DMR may be hitscan, it still must balance out on an internet connection and against the NR. The NR can be fired, the wielder killed and the needle will continue on for the kill. The Sniper and DMR get a window of trade time. Very similar to swipe-can but you have to hit the target. If you hit the target but die, but have still shot the enemy within a certain time, you get credit for the shot.

I can’t tell if there is a set time or variable time over distance because when attempting to scale against melee-bashing in the same matches, the “lag” is variable. More less meaning connection to host determines window lengths to me. It should be a short window but packeted connections elongates windows it appears to me.

To me this system makes those who are used to ridding the host-wave have to work harder to their kills. As a whole, a player has to WIN their encounter in Reach. Even “skilled” encounters end almost always with a draw. Both dead. Winning usually takes a team or a lot more skill to win. Once in a while, luck determines the outcome. But by luck, I mean a bad spawn, connection hiccup, a teammate pulling a bonehead move, etc. I don’t mean bloom did it.

Like viper said it was supposed to remedy PO people from crying of how they swear they shot something. In life any time you try to fix a problem you some how have another problem following that. Nothing can be perfect and everyone will either hate it, love it or be indifferent. Since you’re not a fan of it you’re going to have to grin and bear with it for the time being. It really doesn’t really bother me or even effects me.

> Like viper said it was supposed to remedy PO people from crying of how they swear they shot something. In life any time you try to fix a problem you some how have another problem following that. Nothing can be perfect and everyone will either hate it, love it or be indifferent. Since you’re not a fan of it you’re going to have to grin and bear with it for the time being. It really doesn’t really bother me or even effects me.

Sword vs. Shotty is now almost a guaranteed kill trade, even if the shotty player was better.

The Bulltrue medal is now next to meaningless.

Players are able to get a Showstopper on the opponent who is assassinating them.

I’m genuinely baffled as to how people don’t see a problem with this mechanic.

Also, to all people saying it only accounts for latency, please explain why I have seen my own gun fire after I have died and get the kill. If it is accounting for latency then it should only reward me with the kill after I have technically died if I fired the shot before I died on my screen. If I see my own gun fire after my xbox accepts that I have died, where is the sense in that?