Top 5 Reasons for Squad DLC Removal

redislove has posted some awesome top 5’s on here, and here is his latest:

(Keep in mind he is sarcastic)

http://crosseyedgaming.com/content.php?232-Top-5-Reasons-I-Approve-of-343-Removing-the-DLC-Playlists

Top 5 Reasons redislove Approves of 343 Removing the DLC Playlists

#5 - It Shows 343 is Finally on the Ball

Over the last few months, I have watched as 343 occasionally struggled to get things done on schedule. In some cases, they would fall a few days behind on the weekly bulletins; in other cases, they would forget to activate the weekend jackpot until late on Sunday evening. With this final Halo: Reach matchmaking update, though, they definitively proved that they can get things done not only on time but also ahead of time.

In 3 months’ time Halo 4 will debut, and the user base for Halo: Reach will fall precipitously. Many of the recently-removed playlists would have turned into ghost towns, unable to field enough players to put a single game together. This very thought had kept me on edge as I played Reach over the past few months. I knew 343 needed to do trim some playlists, but I worried that they might not get it done until well after Halo 4’s shipping date.

Thankfully, 343 stunned everyone by putting out this final matchmaking update 3 months ahead of schedule. I will miss having the opportunity to play several of the now-lost DLC maps, but the peace of mind 343 has given me in the process grossly outweighs that red ledger mark.

#4 - No One Else Can Get the Achievements Now

Honestly, I don’t have a lot going for me as a Halo: Reach player. I have a negative K/D spread, and I get most of my kills with the Assist Rifle after my teammates have done most of the work. Whenever I start to feel a little bit down about my calibre, though, I can always take a look at my Achievements page for a nice ego boost.

After all, not everyone can unlock every last Achievement in a game. I have done just that in Halo: Reach, and it puts me on a very privileged list of players. As days go by, though, more and more players join the club. Over the summer, I became increasingly melancholy; I watched as player after player completed their last achievements and thereby diluted the rarity of my accomplishment.

At long last, though, I can finally relax and enjoy my rarified status. By removing the DLC playlists, 343 has effectively closed the gate on a number of Halo: Reach’s DLC-dependent Achievements. I think anyone with a good head on their shoulders would trade 3 months’ worth of games on DLC maps for that kind of relief. If only they had done this sooner!

#3 - I Appreciate the Rare DLC Map Appearance Much More

During conversations with other Halo: Reach players, I have heard a lot of complaints about the improbability of seeing a DLC map in Big Team Battle games. Some of them make arguments of sound reason and mind; they claim that the odds of all 16 players having the DLC maps are even worse than the odds that 343 will upload the correct splash screen that appears when you first start Halo: Reach.

However, all of these players have simply succumbed to a false sense of entitlement. Indeed, before this recent matchmaking update you could play the DLC maps at any time. Sessions on Breakpoint and Headlong all blended together; with the ability to play such maps at any time, even I myself didn’t properly appreciate them. Luckily, 343 saved me from my hubris and endowed me with a new appreciation for the 5% chance to play these maps.

#2 - I Finally Get to Play on the Same 3 Maps Every Night Again

Halo: Reach initially released with 9 maps, as I recall. At the time, I worried about the length of time I would need to learn the layout of such a staggering sum of sandboxes. Luckily, Bungie included a number of retreads within that collection; I had to learn only a handful of new map layouts.

In scant months, I had mastered the geometry of each level. I put that mastery to work immediately, learning the exact locations at which AFK players would spawn and killing them before anyone else could find them. Just as I had begun to fully hone this strategy, though, multiple series of new DLC maps began to appear in the game.

I never really adjusted. All of the new maps had entirely new layouts, and I found the variety intimidating. I watched with downcast eyes as my K/D steadily descended; at one point it reached such a low point that people assumed I was an Armor Locker. I almost quit playing altogether.

Today, though, I feel almost reborn. With the removal of the gnatsome DLC playlists, I find myself playing on my stomping grounds much more regularly.

#1 - No More Playlist Redundancy

Before this final matchmaking update, the Halo: Reach playlists all seemed to blend into one another. Action Sack, as an easy example, played exactly the same as Rumble Pit. Big Team Battle Anniversary, too, played identically to regular Big Team Battle. Sure, you would play on entirely different maps with entirely different weapons and vehicles, but the two playlists exactly mirrored each other in most other ways, such as the colors of each team in the game. Overall, the excessive playlist redundancy often confused me when I started a game of Halo: Reach. I occasionally simply turned the game off in bewilderment.

Fortunately, 343 has beautifully rectified the problem, and I find the entire matchmaking experience much more enjoyable as a result. Last night I enjoyed a game of 4-on-4 Team Slayer for the first time in a long time. After that, I hopped over into the Super Slayer playlist for some 4-on-4 Team Slayer action. Pressing my luck, I loaded up a game of Multi Team where I enjoyed some 3-on-3-on-3-on-3 Team Slayer action. I finished off the night by hopping into a game of MLG, where I enjoyed some more 4-on-4 Team Slayer action.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed the chance to finally enjoy a wide-ranging set of playlists. The updates 343 has committed with this final matchmaking update have generously added to the overall palette of gameplay experiences now available in Halo: Reach!

Wish DLC playlist was still there…

Well considering that Squad DLC hardly had a population it’s a wonder where everybody was during the playlist’s lifetime.

I played it frequently, in all it’s incarnations.