Top 10 tips to consider playing Slayer in Halo 5

Here is a checklist that goes through my head every second during a game of team slayer BEFORE you engage your opponent.
Hope it helps some of you guys struggling.
If anyone has any more pointers, feel free to add them!

Is there anything on my radar? Casualty list?
Keep an eye on your radar as often as you can. Sometimes you can catch the enemy for a split second at the edge of your radar.
Watching your radar prepares you for either getting the jump on an enemy or anticipating their attack.
The “casualty list” (not sure the exact term) lets you know what weapon your team and the other team has.
It also helps you keep track how many players are currently alive and who are re-spawning.

Do I need to reload my weapon? Should I in my situation?
Always try to keep your weapon reloaded. Nothing is worse than being in a middle of a fight, but you couldn’t get that last shot off because you didn’t have a full clip.
Sometimes it’s better to switch to a different weapon than trying to reload, especially if a weapon’s reload time is longer.

What weapons do I have equipped? Should I in my situation? Are there better ones close by I can get safely?
The weapons on the map are, for the most part, better than the ones you start with. Work up the weapon food chain and always equip yourself with the best weapons to have the advantage over the other team who will hopefully have a less effective one than you have. Also, equip the right weapon for your current situation. You shouldn’t equip a sword in a wide open area or a sniper rifle in a small, enclosed area.

Where are my teammates in relation to me?
If you stray too far from your team, you will be more likely to be outnumbered. If you are too close to your teammates and the other team has splash damage weapons (rockets, fuel rod), likes to spam grenades, or has CQC weapons (shotgun, sword). Better keep a safe distance to minimizes loses, but not too far that you can’t cover each other in case your teammate needs help, drops a power weapon, etc. If most or your entire team is re-spawning, it’s usually not a good idea to push alone.

Where is the other team [most likely going to be] in relation to me?
After playing maps over and over again, you’ll notice the spawn system. Memorize this because more often than not, the other team will spawn in those areas where your team isn’t. That’s how the game is designed. You can predict where the enemy is in reference to where you and your team is. If most or entire opposing team is re-spawning, it’s usually a good idea to push, even alone.

Do I have an escape route if I need to retreat? Is that route safe at the moment?
If you’re at a disadvantage, map knowledge is key to escape to a safer area whether it be where your teammates are at or a higher vantage point to have the high ground in case the enemy continues to pursue you.

Am I well covered where I’m at now? where am I exposed the most?
If you are well covered, you can cheat to that side. If you are not well covered such as being in the open, you have to take extra care of what you are doing and where you’re going. Nothing is worse than thinking you’re covered crouching against a wall in a corner, then being sniped in the head through a window.

Am I fully stocked on grenades?
Grenades shouldn’t be wasted or thrown willynilly. They are invaluable weapons that finish off weakened enemies, soften up the enemy, hold off the enemies, and more. Learn where the grenades spawn and keep yourself fully stocked. more is better when it comes to grenades.

What sounds do I hear?
Halo 5 has a lot of audible cues that help you know what’s going on in a game without actually seeing it. When you hear a ground pound, you better look up or thrust out of the way. Hear a spartan sprinting? They might try to shoulder charge you. Every weapon has a distinct sound so you can get an idea of who has what weapon.

Am I at a choke point in the map? Do I have a good line of sight of the choke point?
The maps designed by 343 encourage players to move through certain areas of the map. Usually this is where the most action is such as Tower 2 in Empire or Overhang in Regret or where power weapons and powerups spawn. As long as you have a good line of sight or are well covered and equipped in these areas, you should get kills easily.

Great tips man thanks, don’t forget avoid getting mad, I tend to take the game too serious sometimes and rage constantly and then laugh a few seconds later.
If you are in a losing streak quit playing for a while to clear your mind.

Good tips, don’t forget:

• Overshield and other Power Weapon Spawn Awareness (Every 2 minutes, etc.) - Brief eval after each death (‘what could I have done differently in that encounter’)

make sure you controllers do not come in contact with a hard surface at a high rate of speed

that could inhibit future play time

Really good points! :slight_smile:

> 2533274827641658;2:
> Great tips man thanks, don’t forget avoid getting mad, I tend to take the game too serious sometimes and rage constantly and then laugh a few seconds later.
> If you are in a losing streak quit playing for a while to clear your mind.

well that’s usually cured by playing BTB. :smiley:

How about, when your losing, just remember that you’re much more intelligent than your teammates because they keep making poor decisions.

This is strangely true, you wouldn’t think about it but after I started noticing I almost always hear things rather than see them.

> Halo 5 has a lot of audible cues that help you know what’s going on in a game without actually seeing it.

Also, this guy has some really good tips. He says that his channel is oriented towards new player but I’ve been playing for a while and his tips still help me out.
Channel link.

> 2533275016942754;8:
> This is strangely true, you wouldn’t think about it but after I started noticing I almost always hear things rather than see them.
>
>
> > Halo 5 has a lot of audible cues that help you know what’s going on in a game without actually seeing it.

same here. it puts less emphasis on radar which shut ups all the haters who can’t adapt.

> 2533274871729504;10:
> > 2533275016942754;8:
> > This is strangely true, you wouldn’t think about it but after I started noticing I almost always hear things rather than see them.
> >
> >
> > > Halo 5 has a lot of audible cues that help you know what’s going on in a game without actually seeing it.
>
>
> same here. it puts less emphasis on radar which shut ups all the haters who can’t adapt.

Yeah, I don’t even need the radar to tell if someone is above me about to Ground Pound. I can hear them and it’s much more effective. Although I want the radar to be changed to 20 meters because I’m a bit OCD or something like that.

tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me

> 2533274805919869;12:
> tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me

Come at me bro! I have, like, double your kills!

> 2533274871729504;6:
> > 2533274827641658;2:
> > Great tips man thanks, don’t forget avoid getting mad, I tend to take the game too serious sometimes and rage constantly and then laugh a few seconds later.
> > If you are in a losing streak quit playing for a while to clear your mind.
>
>
> well that’s usually cured by playing BTB

I totally understand what you mean. It can just be soo frustrating to have just grabbed a power weapon or power up only to be killed seconds later by an even better weapon. But that’s not the worst. The worst is when you just spawn in and are suddenly assassinated from behind without even getting a chance to react.

> 2533274805919869;12:
> tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me

we look to be even statistically.
I’d be down for a 1v1.

Tip 1 for me, never go on alone, stick with a teammate and go out in packs. In every single match that i loose its those matches where everyone just spreads around and i dont see them.

> 2533275016942754;13:
> > 2533274805919869;12:
> > tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me
>
>
> Come at me bro! I have, like, double your kills!

> 2533274871729504;15:
> > 2533274805919869;12:
> > tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me
>
>
> we look to be even statistically.
> I’d be down for a 1v1.

im really bad at 1v1’s to be honest. i get nervous and miss shots i normally would not miss idk why. I know what i should do and where i should position myself but for some reason in 1v1’s i do the opposite of what i should do.

> 2533274873910058;16:
> Tip 1 for me, never go on alone, stick with a teammate and go out in packs. In every single match that i loose its those matches where everyone just spreads around and i dont see them.

I agree. Especially in CTF matches. They last around 3-4 minutes, and I’m not talking about a positive outcome for MY “team” either… lol

> 2533274805919869;17:
> > 2533275016942754;13:
> > > 2533274805919869;12:
> > > tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me
> >
> >
> > Come at me bro! I have, like, double your kills!
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274871729504;15:
> > > 2533274805919869;12:
> > > tip: Pray To God You Never Face Me
> >
> >
> > we look to be even statistically.
> > I’d be down for a 1v1.
>
>
> im really bad at 1v1’s to be honest. i get nervous and miss shots i normally would not miss idk why. I know what i should do and where i should position myself but for some reason in 1v1’s i do the opposite of what i should do.

I think it’s because it’s much easier to take on people who are distracted by your teammates (and their own teammates) rather than focused on you for the entire game.

My problem in this game is that I just naturally like to lone wolf in shooters so it really screws me over in matches often haha. I’m average at this game but it did feel really good the other day when a guy messaged me saying I was awful then I challenged him to a 1v1 cuz I was mad. Sure enough when he joins he’s talking -Yoink- which made me that much more focused and I beat him by a kill on truth. Fool didn’t say a word after it was over. I just said gg and moved on but it’s people like that who go out of their way to insult me on Halo that rubs me the wrong way.