Too soon to talk about Halo Wars 3?

This is a little weird thread about an idea that comes to my head when I think about Halo Wars. It is probably my favorite game, now saga with it is second part, which I think is the best game ever (my opinion, not here to discuss that). The weird idea I wanted to talk about is this thing that bugs me about contemporary triple A games… Seeing how developers create ways to get players to buy lootboxes, cards, virtual money, microtransactions, new content so they can create more profit and consider the game: PROFITABLE. Is HW a profitable game for the developers? I enjoy it, I frigging love it. But I hate the idea of waiting another looooong time to see news or heard about a new HW3 because the game doesn’t have huge amount of fans like PUBG, Overratedwatch or whatever other game.

Let’s put this straight, Halo Wars 2 is an incredibly outstanding game for a console RTS. But the only problem is that the genre doesn’t have huge amount of followers. Is this any relevant to get a new Halo Wars 3? Am I the only one that think this game deserves at least one more title? Am I stupid for just purchasing a Blitz pack to support the game?

I know I am taking about different things here. But still, my main point is: Can we get Halo Wars 3?

I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.

> 2533274843481335;2:
> I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.

HW2 sold even worse? Are you kidding me? HW2 got wayyy more attention and sales than HW1. I am sure of that because I work for Game UK. And that is just physical copies… We got better sales on HW2 than HW1 in Europe. I am sure of that.

I find it hard to believe HW2 sold better than HW1. HW1 came out when the Halo brand was extremely strong and the Xbox 360 (probably) had more consoles sold than the Xbox One at the respective releases of the games.

I think there’s a small bit of hope that we’ll see another HW game during the Xbox One’s life cycle. The development costs would be much lower and if they added a third faction or a space layer they could gather a lot of interest.

Unless Microsoft make major changes to how they release their games on PC I can’t see it doing well there. Which is very unfortunate because a lot of people will be missing out and the extra revenue would help out the Xbox players.

They made a second installment, which was surprising to me. Anything can happen in the gaming industry.

> 2533275001759937;4:
> I find it hard to believe HW2 sold better than HW1. HW1 came out when the Halo brand was extremely strong and the Xbox 360 (probably) had more consoles sold than the Xbox One at the respective releases of the games.
>
> I think there’s a small bit of hope that we’ll see another HW game during the Xbox One’s life cycle. The development costs would be much lower and if they added a third faction or a space layer they could gather a lot of interest.
>
> Unless Microsoft make major changes to how they release their games on PC I can’t see it doing well there. Which is very unfortunate because a lot of people will be missing out and the extra revenue would help out the Xbox players.

While this is true, the copies HW1 sold were strictly physical, which is easy to track for outside sources. At least in comparison to modern games which sell most of their copies digitally, which a lot of sources don’t take into consideration.

Halo may have been at a higher point back then but I think it’s generally irrelevant so long as the game churns a profit for the parties involved. As long as that happens you can expect to see more games.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if HW3 became a thing that will be worked on or is already being worked on. Microsoft seems to be interested in taking Halo into the PC world and RTS games really help with that transition. Console gamers tend to like shooters, at least in the West. Halo is typically known for being a shooter. The fact we have 2 strategy games under our belt shows that Halo is going strong. Not in its prime. But strong. A lot of developers would kill to have the hype Halo does.

I’m not convinced Halo Wars 2 sold poorly. The only source people generally cite is VGcharts and that is notorious for not including digital sales: the most popular medium these days.

I’ll see if I can dig around to get some numbers as far as sales are concerned. But the numbers that determine whether or not it is a success aren’t going to be available to us. There is likely some number that Microsoft was looking for as far as profit goes and if it exceeded that then you can bet there will be a 3rd installment.

I mean, do we really want a Halo Wars 3? Honestly I don’t. I think 343 hit out of the park with this one and it was a good follow up game. So what more do you want from a new game, do you want them to change anything major that an update can’t do, the only reason I’d ever want a HW3 is for a new campaign and new leaders. But I mean updates to the game can provide these(Granted I don’t think 343 will since it’s kind of hard to top “The Flood”). I honestly think this game has a LONG time until it officially reaches the point of “death”. The player count is still strong, I find matches with ease on every playlist, and I still find enjoyment in the game. So why ask for another game when we don’t really need it. Though I’m not a game developer and this is just my opinion so just don’t take what I say as “fact”.

> 2533274812650916;6:
> > 2533275001759937;4:
> >

I think the development cost of HW1 was probably a decent bit higher than HW2, they had experimented with a lot of concepts before deciding on how the game would work/end up. HW2 builds on those foundations and uses the same engine. All the DLC and Blitz cards have probably helped out a lot too, maybe the net profit wasn’t too bad in the end.

The Windows Store is not a good platform to release PC games on, Microsoft’s pricing and all the other issues the Store and UWP apps have makes most games unappealing there.

> 2533275001759937;8:
> > 2533274812650916;6:
> > > 2533275001759937;4:
> > >
>
> I think the development cost of HW1 was probably a decent bit higher than HW2, they had experimented with a lot of concepts before deciding on how the game would work/end up. HW2 builds on those foundations and uses the same engine. All the DLC and Blitz cards have probably helped out a lot too, maybe the net profit wasn’t too bad in the end.
>
> The Windows Store is not a good platform to release PC games on, Microsoft’s pricing and all the other issues the Store and UWP apps have makes most games unappealing there.

We could not agree more on the Windows store issue, my friend. It really is a self-inflicted wound to tie yourself down to one outlet like that. But decisions concerning that likely jump into the legal realm and we wouldn’t know half of the issues involved.

Without a doubt, Microsoft wants to maximize the number of people who buy their products. Halo is and always has been a major selling point for their gaming outlets, namely the Xbox.

I would be willing to bet halo 6 will be on pc as well. Putting their toes in the water before jumping in, so to speak.

I want HALO WARS 3 in the future
not now.

I want Atriox to come out next time.

I want you to finish HALOWARS 2 perfectly now.
It’s a bug rather than game balance …

Don’t forget Halo (or Halo 1) was originally designed to be an RTS before switching the style to 1st person shooter

Has this game even been out a year yet?

> 2533275001759937;4:
> I find it hard to believe HW2 sold better than HW1. HW1 came out when the Halo brand was extremely strong and the Xbox 360 (probably) had more consoles sold than the Xbox One at the respective releases of the games.
>
> I think there’s a small bit of hope that we’ll see another HW game during the Xbox One’s life cycle. The development costs would be much lower and if they added a third faction or a space layer they could gather a lot of interest.
>
> Unless Microsoft make major changes to how they release their games on PC I can’t see it doing well there. Which is very unfortunate because a lot of people will be missing out and the extra revenue would help out the Xbox players.

Sure but thing’s are changing. It’s even got a point where Halo Wars was released on Xbox One/Steam/W10, well in a way the platforms has doubled compared to when HW1 originally released, even fans that moved away from Xbox can now game on Windows.

> 2533274829873463;13:
> > 2533275001759937;4:
> >
>
> Sure but thing’s are changing. It’s even got a point where Halo Wars was released on Xbox One/Steam/W10, well in a way the platforms has doubled compared to when HW1 originally released, even fans that moved away from Xbox can now game on Windows.

It looks like the major releases will be staying on the Windows Store for now, which means only Windows 10 PCs that the Store approves can even install the game. One of my friends can’t install the game because it says his PC can’t run it (even though it can) and another friend can’t pause updates without them resetting. For some reason games on the Microsoft Store are more expensive than Steam too.

Considering all those issues and the problems of UWP apps and linking Xbox profiles, I’d much rather see all Xbox “exclusive” games come to Steam. If this game was on Steam it would be far more enjoyable and it would end up making Microsoft more money aswell.

> 2533275001759937;14:
> > 2533274829873463;13:
> > > 2533275001759937;4:
> > >
> >
> > Sure but thing’s are changing. It’s even got a point where Halo Wars was released on Xbox One/Steam/W10, well in a way the platforms has doubled compared to when HW1 originally released, even fans that moved away from Xbox can now game on Windows.
>
> It looks like the major releases will be staying on the Windows Store for now, which means only Windows 10 PCs that the Store approves can even install the game. One of my friends can’t install the game because it says his PC can’t run it (even though it can) and another friend can’t pause updates without them resetting. For some reason games on the Microsoft Store are more expensive than Steam too.
>
> Considering all those issues and the problems of UWP apps and linking Xbox profiles, I’d much rather see all Xbox “exclusive” games come to Steam. If this game was on Steam it would be far more enjoyable and it would end up making Microsoft more money aswell.

You maybe right, I was kind of surprised when they ported Gears 4 but wasn’t totally surprised when they ported Halo Wars since a lot of people think RTS games work better on PC. Sure I prefer Steam over Windows store because I don’t like how locked down the Windows store, I suspect that’s why there moving their games to Steam since it’s more popular.

> 2533274843481335;2:
> I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.

Are you joking? Halo Wars 1 was a huge hit! It has sold 1.31 million copies to date, making it the best selling console RTS game ever!

Halo Wars 2 didn’t sell nearly as many copies as that; but with all the DLC, season passes, and microtransactions they still made millions.

I do not want to have a Halo - download the whole game with every update - Wars 3. In reality, I would love one but profit is the driving factor if there would be a third one.

> 2533274818651339;16:
> > 2533274843481335;2:
> > I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.
>
> Are you joking? Halo Wars 1 was a huge hit! It has sold 1.31 million copies to date, making it the best selling console RTS game ever!
>
> Halo Wars 2 didn’t sell nearly as many copies as that; but with all the DLC, season passes, and microtransactions they still made millions.

Being the best selling console RTS is like being the fastest person at the senior olympics, it doesn’t mean anything. It sold bad compared to other Halo titles, the only way they’ll devote resources to another HW is if they think they’ll make a good profit, and I just don’t see it unless they cut development costs significantly.

> 2533274843481335;18:
> > 2533274818651339;16:
> > > 2533274843481335;2:
> > > I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.
> >
> > Are you joking? Halo Wars 1 was a huge hit! It has sold 1.31 million copies to date, making it the best selling console RTS game ever!
> >
> > Halo Wars 2 didn’t sell nearly as many copies as that; but with all the DLC, season passes, and microtransactions they still made millions.
>
> Being the best selling console RTS is like being the fastest person at the senior olympics, it doesn’t mean anything. It sold bad compared to other Halo titles, the only way they’ll devote resources to another HW is if they think they’ll make a good profit, and I just don’t see it unless they cut development costs significantly.

Uhh no, being the best selling RTS on console is an accomplishment. You made it sound like it failed as an RTS game when it is currently the highest selling RTS console game in existence. Yeah no -Yoink- it didn’t sell more than a Halo first person shooter; they’re different genres bud.

Both HW 1 & 2 made millions. They’ll make another one, I guarantee it.

> 2533274818651339;19:
> > 2533274843481335;18:
> > > 2533274818651339;16:
> > > > 2533274843481335;2:
> > > > I wouldn’t expect one, HW1 didn’t sell great, and HW2 sold even worse. It’s a niche genre with a pretty small fanbase, plus the amount of launch issues and other such nonsense that have plagued this game for most of it’s lifespan up to this point will only hurt the chances of a sequel. All of that being said, no one expected a HW2, and in fact when I was first told about it by a friend of mine I called BS until I saw the trailer for it, so I suppose anything is possible.
> > >
> > > Are you joking? Halo Wars 1 was a huge hit! It has sold 1.31 million copies to date, making it the best selling console RTS game ever!
> > >
> > > Halo Wars 2 didn’t sell nearly as many copies as that; but with all the DLC, season passes, and microtransactions they still made millions.
> >
> > Being the best selling console RTS is like being the fastest person at the senior olympics, it doesn’t mean anything. It sold bad compared to other Halo titles, the only way they’ll devote resources to another HW is if they think they’ll make a good profit, and I just don’t see it unless they cut development costs significantly.
>
> Uhh no, being the best selling RTS on console is an accomplishment. You made it sound like it failed as an RTS game when it is currently the highest selling RTS console game in existence. Yeah no -Yoink- it didn’t sell more than a Halo first person shooter; they’re different genres bud.
>
> Both HW 1 & 2 made millions. They’ll make another one, I guarantee it.

I’d be surprised and given 343’s track record I won’t be buying it. First they should fix the servers on this game, I’ve been dc’ed from 4 of my last 8 matches, it’s been nearly a year and they can’t even get that right.