Too much "SERIOUS BUSINESS!!"

Video games of this century have been oozing with an element known as “SERIOUS BUSINESS”, in which making something dark and bleak can make it better. Sometimes, especially with the Metroid series, this is executed well, and with older titles, such as Splatterhouse 2, Metal Slug, Contra: Hard Corps and Sonic CD, this is because the music and art direction go their way to make the games seem atmospheric and ambient, but with COD and Halo 3: ODST and Reach, this is done in a cheesy and cliched way.

Halo has always took itself seriously, and whilst those labels on the boxart saying stuff like M for Mature and PEGI: 16, and 15 and crap like that suggested that it was made for older audiences, this did not mean it tried FAR TOO hard to be dark and bleak and… dark… and grim as it possibly can only to fail and suffer abysmally. But after seeing ODST and Reach, I was afraid that Halo’s appeal was going to collapse the same way I think COD always had. It was atmospheric in Halo 2 and 3, especially with the Flood, but never like ODST or Reach.

The question: How would you like Halo to be like?

> Video games of this century have been oozing with an element known as “SERIOUS BUSINESS”, in which making something dark and bleak can make it better. Sometimes, especially with the Metroid series, this is executed well, and with older titles, such as Splatterhouse 2, Metal Slug, Contra: Hard Corps and Sonic CD, this is because the music and art direction go their way to make the games seem atmospheric and ambient, but with COD and Halo 3: ODST and Reach, this is done in a cheesy and cliched way.
>
> Halo has always took itself seriously, and whilst those labels on the boxart saying stuff like M for Mature and PEGI: 16, and 15 and crap like that suggested that it was made for older audiences, this did not mean it tried FAR TOO hard to be dark and bleak and… dark… and grim as it possibly can only to fail and suffer abysmally. But after seeing ODST and Reach, I was afraid that Halo’s appeal was going to collapse the same way I think COD always had. It was atmospheric in Halo 2 and 3, especially with the Flood, but never like ODST or Reach.
>
> The question: How would you like Halo to be like?

this is a new company , so yes…
Bungie’s Halo is completely different from 343i’s Halo.

I like the darker tone

Dark can make a game really interesting

Not if there is too much of it. Look at the Tomb Raider games. They are epic, other worldly. Now look at the 2013 reboot. It is dark and grim and hard, and “a man’s game!! Look at the blood and mudstains!!”.

Tomb Raider was always dark to be honest, but not like this.