Too many game playlists are not a good thing.

There are people on the forums who are in universal agreement about how the playlist selection should look like. Aside the current game modes already available, people these modes available at the same time:

  • Social Slayer - Social CTF - Social Doubles - Social Snipers - Social Strongholds - Team Skirmish - etc. etc.Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.

Yes, I am a person who likes new modes to be added. Modes I want permanently. However, we have to think hard about a plan regarding the good and bad things about what we desire. For example, I want a permanent Action Sack playlist because it’ll be filled with many custom modes that will sometimes be swapped out for more popular ones. If Infected can’t be added due to the low population counters, then combine that mode with Action Sack. If we want Assault to be permanent, then add it to Team Arena. You see where I am coming from?

I think one “Social Objective” playlist for all non-slayer type is enough (CTF, KOH, Srongholds, Assault)

  • Social Slayer - Social Objective - Social Doubles - Social Marksman (Snipers & Swat) - Grifball - BTB - Multi-Team

> 2533274808316762;2:
> I think one “Social Objective” playlist for all non-slayer type is enough (CTF, KOH, Srongholds, Assault)
>
>
>
> - Social Slayer
> - Social Objective
> - Social Doubles
> - Social Marksman (Snipers & Swat)
> - Grifball
> - BTB
> - Multi-Team

Aside Grifball and BTB, there’s barely a difference between Ranked and Social playlists. In addition, everyone will end up moving to the social playlists because it’s much easier for higher skilled players to slay, thus rendering ranked modes obsolete.

> 2597611927948033;1:
> There are people on the forums who are in universal agreement about how the playlist selection should look like. Aside the current game modes already available, people these modes available at the same time:
>
> - Social Slayer
> - Social CTF
> - Social Doubles
> - Social Snipers
> - Social Strongholds
> - Team Skirmish
> - etc. etc.
> Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.
>
> Yes, I am a person who likes new modes to be added. Modes I want permanently. However, we have to think hard about a plan regarding the good and bad things about what we desire. For example, I want a permanent Action Sack playlist because it’ll be filled with many custom modes that will sometimes be swapped out for more popular ones. If Infected can’t be added due to the low population counters, then combine that mode with Action Sack. If we want Assault to be permanent, then add it to Team Arena. You see where I am coming from?

It’s pretty obvious. If the game had a healthy population, then this argument makes no sense.

> 2533274970658419;4:
> > 2597611927948033;1:
> >
>
>
> It’s pretty obvious. If the game had a healthy population, then this argument makes no sense.

It doesn’t matter how healthy a population can be. If you focus on too many modes, you’ll see a lot of abandoned playlists that suffer in terms of connections and how long it’ll take to find a match. That’s why the playlist selection is a bit small, modes are being rotated, and playlists have several modes within.

  • Team Arena - CTF - ODDBall - Slayer - FFA - Breakout - Rotating Social playlist with all modes combined into one. - Big Team Battle

> 2533274831682424;6:
> - Team Arena
> - CTF
> - ODDBall
> - Slayer
> - FFA
> - Breakout
> - Rotating Social playlist with all modes combined into one.
> - Big Team Battle

My idea was as follows (Updated)

  • Team Objective (Slayer, Assault, CTF, King of the Hill, possibly Breakout)
  • Slayer (or Breakout added to it if the community wants it that way).
  • FFA (possibly featuring other OBJ/exclusive non-slayer modes)
  • SWAT (featuring certain OBJ modes ie CTF and KotH)
  • Big Team Battle
  • Action Sack (Crazy Oddball modes, rocket race, fiesta, Infection, Grifball)
  • Rotational playlist

> 2597611927948033;1:
> Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.

Not one single person ever said this before the MCC, right around the time when 343 began to make that claim. Make of this what you will, but I’m just saying, nobody ever said we had too many playlists in Halo 3.

> 2533274823519895;8:
> > 2597611927948033;1:
> > Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.
>
>
> Not one single person ever said this before the MCC, right around the time when 343 began to make that claim. Make of this what you will, but I’m just saying, nobody ever said we had too many playlists in Halo 3.

It doesn’t make sense to have multple copies of the exact same modes spread around like that. What point is there to have a huge selection like that when it’ll cause a lot of playlists to become abandoned? I’m sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but Halo 5 doesn’t have an average player population of a million people. The player population isn’t high enough to support a huge cluster of clone game modes. Just because Halo 3 did things differently doesn’t mean they were right.

And besides, there is no difference between competitive social and arena modes in terms of how people feel about them. It’s been proven to be the case since people’s experience in Arena is almost the same as Social anyway (because they complain about sweaty tryhards in any mode they play).

Replace Team Arena with Team Objective. Get rid of Breakout and Slayer from that playlist and add Assault, and hopefully Oddball. Add a Action Sack playlist for unranked games with modes like Paintball, Fiesta, and other wacky slayer gametypes. I don’t understand how hard it is for 343 to make these simple changes. Team Arena itself makes no sense.

> 2533274857577417;10:
> Replace Team Arena with Team Objective. Get rid of Breakout and Slayer from that playlist and add Assault, and hopefully Oddball. Add a Action Sack playlist for unranked games with modes like Paintball, Fiesta, and other wacky slayer gametypes. I don’t understand how hard it is for 343 to make these simple changes. Team Arena itself makes no sense.

I like the idea of team objective since slayer and breakout already have their own modes to begin with. As for Action Sack, it most likely is going to be a social mode, but I also think it shouldn’t count towards stats (just XP) since Infected could possibly be added to the playlist.

My opinion on the playlists:

Team Slayer
BTB
Team Objective
Social Skirmish
Social Slayer
Action Sack
Grifball
Infection
FFA
Rumble Pit
Swat
Highlighted weekly playlist:::

> 2597611927948033;5:
> > 2533274970658419;4:
> > > 2597611927948033;1:
> > >
> >
> >
> > It’s pretty obvious. If the game had a healthy population, then this argument makes no sense.
>
>
> It doesn’t matter how healthy a population can be. If you focus on too many modes, you’ll see a lot of abandoned playlists that suffer in terms of connections and how long it’ll take to find a match. That’s why the playlist selection is a bit small, modes are being rotated, and playlists have several modes within.

If there are not enough modes, more and more people will quit the game because it’s boring, creating abandoned playlists.

> 2597611927948033;3:
> > 2533274808316762;2:
> > I think one “Social Objective” playlist for all non-slayer type is enough (CTF, KOH, Srongholds, Assault)
> >
> >
> >
> > - Social Slayer
> > - Social Objective
> > - Social Doubles
> > - Social Marksman (Snipers & Swat)
> > - Grifball
> > - BTB
> > - Multi-Team
>
>
> Aside Grifball and BTB, there’s barely a difference between Ranked and Social playlists. In addition, everyone will end up moving to the social playlists because it’s much easier for higher skilled players to slay, thus rendering ranked modes obsolete.

Naw it can work. Look at Halo 3

For those that keep saying the OP is wrong and use Halo 3 as an example:
Halo 3 had a larger population of players, both at launch and after.

For the OP and his supporters:
You make a really good point, but if they don’t add diversity soon, the population will decline and things will never improve.

Conclusion:
There is no way to clear cut it. It’s a balancing act.
Too many matchmaking playlists and the population will become too thin to support the matchmaking with the exception of the most popular playlists (this is evident in older CoD games where their populations have moved on).
Too little playlists and players will stop playing out of boredom.
While the gamemode rotation helps, it also isn’t perfect and provides another balancing act on top of which gamemodes to cycle, when to cycle them, and how often.

The best course of action in my opinion, is to remove the ranked playlists. It eats up the bulk of the matchmaking playlists and prevents more social playlists, which most players want over the ranked ones.

> 2597611927948033;9:
> > 2533274823519895;8:
> > > 2597611927948033;1:
> > > Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.
> >
> >
> > Not one single person ever said this before the MCC, right around the time when 343 began to make that claim. Make of this what you will, but I’m just saying, nobody ever said we had too many playlists in Halo 3.
>
>
> It doesn’t make sense to have multple copies of the exact same modes spread around like that. What point is there to have a huge selection like that when it’ll cause a lot of playlists to become abandoned? I’m sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but Halo 5 doesn’t have an average player population of a million people. The player population isn’t high enough to support a huge cluster of clone game modes. Just because Halo 3 did things differently doesn’t mean they were right.
>
> And besides, there is no difference between competitive social and arena modes in terms of how people feel about them. It’s been proven to be the case since people’s experience in Arena is almost the same as Social anyway (because they complain about sweaty tryhards in any mode they play).

It was right for the game. And the reason you get tryhards in BTB, Warzone Griffball and social CTF/Assault (objective) is because there are no ranked versions of those games.

Also, if done right, the social gametype variants will be catered towards more relaxed styles of play, unlike right now where the social games are still very much designed for competitive play, they are just ranked games with ranking removed and that is not how you do social. So for as long as social offers playlists that ranked does not, social will never be social, you will continue to drive away players who want a relaxed experience and you will continue having issues adding in more playlists because you have a low population. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

We need a random play list where you just go on it and get given a random game mode each time you go on it (no rotation just randomly selected.)

Game Modes and Playlists are 2 completely different things. Please understand that, and please update your misleading title.

Agreed. Add ball, King, and one sided assault and ctf immediately.

> 2547348539238747;16:
> > 2597611927948033;9:
> > > 2533274823519895;8:
> > > > 2597611927948033;1:
> > > > Here’s the snag in this idea: You cannot add too many playlists at once. By doing so, you spread the populations too thin and cause severe skill differences and connection issues. There’s a reason why playlists rotate and have multple modes combined together–to combat the very issue I just mentioned.
>
>
> It was right for the game. And the reason you get tryhards in BTB, Warzone Griffball and social CTF/Assault (objective) is because there are no ranked versions of those games.
>
> Also, if done right, the social gametype variants will be catered towards more relaxed styles of play, unlike right now where the social games are still very much designed for competitive play, they are just ranked games with ranking removed and that is not how you do social. So for as long as social offers playlists that ranked does not, social will never be social, you will continue to drive away players who want a relaxed experience and you will continue having issues adding in more playlists because you have a low population. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Social is not done right when Arena modes have no rankings included, thus makes each lobby contain more varying skill levels. Since the modes themselves are already competitive by nature, it’s made worse by how much easier it will be for skilled players to dominate due to the lack of a proper skill based matching system. This causes a lot of complaints (on this forum) about people playing too sweaty and that people are being tryhards.

Social, on the other hand, can be done right. A lot of people think that social should be about people who need to “play casually” and “not be sweaty”. That doesn’t work. Instead, social should be about wacky game modes and map settings to make it fun. This is why Action Sack would be so important to add (and Flapjack Frenzy could finally be a public mode). There’s more joy and less competition when we’re having silly moments in Dodgeball, Duck Hunt, Mongoose Sumo, etc. Oh sure, people might put effort into everything regardless, but the pure fun of each mode washes away those negative feelings.