To employees at 343i

Yeh, you guys should add a off-topic in the category

anyways, so i was browsing BVG’s site, and the admins told its community that you guys “paused” their development (doesn’t abuse the legal terms) about some copy-righted material and something popped up in my mind, so what i’m basically going to do right now is ask you guys a couple of questions. (don’t need to answer, i’m just curious, i’ll always remain a loyal fan to you guys lol :3)

1: Are you guys shutting down GoC?
2: if you guys don’t shut it down, are you going to be helping them abit? (info on the halo universe)
3: how did you guys discover GoC?

4: how’s halo 4 coming along?

that’s pretty much it, and sorry if you guys get mad at me, my curiousity got the best out of me… =/

> Yeh, you guys should add a off-topic in the category
>
> anyways, so i was browsing BVG’s site, and the admins told its community that you guys “paused” their development (doesn’t abuse the legal terms) about some copy-righted material and something popped up in my mind, so what i’m basically going to do right now is ask you guys a couple of questions. (don’t need to answer, i’m just curious, i’ll always remain a loyal fan to you guys lol :3)
>
> 1: Are you guys shutting down GoC?
> 2: if you guys don’t shut it down, are you going to be helping them abit? (info on the halo universe)
> 3: how did you guys discover GoC?
>
> 4: how’s halo 4 coming along?
>
> that’s pretty much it, and sorry if you guys get mad at me, my curiousity got the best out of me… =/

First, what are BVG and GoC?
Second, the likelihood of an employee discussing a subject like this (legal issuses and project progress) with a civilian not involved is only a notch above absolute zero.

> > Yeh, you guys should add a off-topic in the category
> >
> > anyways, so i was browsing BVG’s site, and the admins told its community that you guys “paused” their development (doesn’t abuse the legal terms) about some copy-righted material and something popped up in my mind, so what i’m basically going to do right now is ask you guys a couple of questions. (don’t need to answer, i’m just curious, i’ll always remain a loyal fan to you guys lol :3)
> >
> > 1: Are you guys shutting down GoC?
> > 2: if you guys don’t shut it down, are you going to be helping them abit? (info on the halo universe)
> > 3: how did you guys discover GoC?
> >
> > 4: how’s halo 4 coming along?
> >
> > that’s pretty much it, and sorry if you guys get mad at me, my curiousity got the best out of me… =/
>
> First, what are BVG and GoC?
> Second, the likelihood of an employee discussing a subject like this (legal issuses and project progress) with a civilian not involved is only a notch above absolute zero.

there’s always a good chance they’ll say a little, but not go into full cover.

> >
> > anyways, so i was browsing BVG’s site, and the admins told its community that you guys “paused” their development (doesn’t abuse the legal terms) about some copy-righted material and something popped up in my mind, so what i’m basically going to do right now is ask you guys a couple of questions. (don’t need to answer, i’m just curious, i’ll always remain a loyal fan to you guys lol :3)
> >
> > 2: if you guys don’t shut it down, are you going to be helping them abit? (info on the halo universe)
> >
> >
> > that’s pretty much it, and sorry if you guys get mad at me, my curiousity got the best out of me… =/
>
> Second, the likelihood of an employee discussing a subject like this (legal issuses and project progress) with a civilian not involved is only a notch above absolute zero.

BVG are a group of amateur game developers and Halo fans. They were creating a free Halo game called Halo: Galaxy of Combat.

OT: In answer to your third question, a day or two ago, a member of BVG created a thread here to tell Halo fans about GoC and provided a link to the site and a trailer. 343 and Microsoft likely found them because of this.

> >
> >
> >
> >
>

BVG is Bay View Game Studios that is developing a new fan made free to play MMO game called Halo: Galaxy of Combat (hence GoC). It’s a non-profit project and they are currently trying to get Microsoft interested in their game.

That’s all I know about them, I don’t know about their current state much.

and from what they said, 343i is talking to them, i thought microsoft was kinda in charge of that…

There is an off-topic section, it’s in Gamma, and called Cats.

Also, even if they are following the creative content rules, Microsoft and 343 can still stop production, considering that it’s their copywrited material that is being used…

> There is an off-topic section, it’s in Gamma, and called Cats.
>
> Also, even if they are following the creative content rules, Microsoft and 343 can still stop production, considering that it’s their copywrited material that is being used…

the gamma forums don’t work properly for everyone, like myself. General Discussion is the perfect place for this topic.

Hey guys can you kinda let this post die or something…Just reasons being thanks…

> > There is an off-topic section, it’s in Gamma, and called Cats.
> >
> > Also, even if they are following the creative content rules, Microsoft and 343 can still stop production, considering that it’s their copywrited material that is being used…
>
> the gamma forums don’t work properly for everyone, like myself. General Discussion is the perfect place for this topic.

I know that they don’t work for everyone, I’m just saying that there is one, and it should be implemented into the final update to the forums.

yeah, gamma’s not working… still “buggy” haha

This is probably gonna get locked anyway but…understand this. If 343i send out a cease and desist to this fan project, it will not be out of malice or spite. 343i own the trademark to the halo franchise, and an interesting thing about trademarks is that you have to actively legally defend them, or you lose them. Then every blighter around will be milking Halo for profit.

Of course there is discretion in how aggressively you defend your IP, you can always grant a fan project a free licence to continue on whilst keeping it legal. I think they did this with the operation chastity guys.

Thats my understanding anyway, IANAL.

> This is probably gonna get locked anyway but…understand this. If 343i send out a cease and desist to this fan project, it will not be out of malice or spite. 343i own the trademark to the halo franchise, and an interesting thing about trademarks is that you have to actively legally defend them, or you lose them. Then every blighter around will be milking Halo for profit.

Yep, this is what’s happening between Bethesda and Mojang right now. Mojang is developing a new game called Scrolls, and Bethesda (Or at least their parent company) is suing Mojang because of it.

Originally Mojang attempted to trademark the word “Scrolls,” but dropped it after the lawsuit was filed, now Bethesda wants them to rename it because, for some reason, when people think of their games, they think of Elder Scrolls 3/4/5 and not Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim…