Tips to counter Forge Hog in the early game?

Went up against 2 forges in 3v3 ranked. Multiple squads constantly wiped by his hog everytime we went to expand or cap nodes. They kept map control hard because of it and basically starved us of resources and units.

Any tips to counter him in the early game? His ability wipes out multiple Cyclops’, and even hits air units.

Honestly there’s no effective counter. Best you can do is counter him with your hero. The hog isn’t all that fast, try and stun him with elite enforcers and surround him. Or try and freeze him/slow him down with Serina.

Midgame, Kodiaks and siege turrets can help keep him at bay.

cyclops are honestly probably the worst against him because they are so small and tend to bunch up, making them easy targets for that bloody anvil round.

hunters are somewhat better but I think your best bet is actually locust. They have a great range and the anvil round won’t do as much to them since they’re vehicles. Be wary of scatter bomb though because it’s pretty effective against locust.

hope this helps.

> 2533274818651339;2:
> Honestly there’s no effective counter. Best you can do is counter him with your hero. The hog isn’t all that fast, try and stun him with elite enforcers and surround him. Or try and freeze him/slow him down with Serina.
>
> Midgame, Kodiaks and siege turrets can help keep him at bay.
>
> cyclops are honestly probably the worst against him because they are so small and tend to bunch up, making them easy targets for that bloody anvil round.
>
> hunters are somewhat better but I think your best bet is actually locust. They have a great range and the anvil round won’t do as much to them since they’re vehicles. Be wary of scatter bomb though because it’s pretty effective against locust.
>
> hope this helps.

Siege turrets are T3 that’s late game. Impossible unless mirror matching. I’ve killed the hog with the Bison, but it’s pretty pointless, it’s difficult to regain map control afterwards.

I’ve killed 5 Locusts using a single Anvil Round. So not sure about that one.

Sorry if I come as annoying trying to challenge your post, my only purpose is to make it clear that hog currently has no counter at T1.

I had 12 infantry lv 1 cyclopes and they could not kill the hog fast enough before two other hogs showed up and kicked me from 60 to 0 population. I just don’t honestly see any way to beat it in 1v1 or how to beat multiple in the early game in 2v2 or 3v3.

Nothing really counters Forge hog.

Johnson can bunker spam (can drop a bunker every minute with digging in) to attempt to hold down some power nodes but it’s a pretty tough task. Plus Johnson hero can heal up units and bunkers that don’t get 1 shot.

Been trying many different things to counter it and nothing worked. Was hoping shrouds would deflect the anvil but it looks like it had no effect.

Engineer shield may also prevent units from being 1 shot.

I guess play team wars until he gets nerfed as he’s ridiculously strong early game as I was arbiter one game rushed with elite enforcers his forge hog got killed twice I got to his base and the forge hog comes out and destroys my army then went downhill from there.

Colony with Goliath or choppers, atriox chosen & choppers or chieftain with choppers. Jerome and rabbits :rabbit:, ice cream truck :icecream: and rabbits :rabbit:

> 2533274838267151;1:
> Went up against 2 forges in 3v3 ranked. Multiple squads constantly wiped by his hog everytime we went to expand or cap nodes. They kept map control hard because of it and basically starved us of resources and units.
>
> Any tips to counter him in the early game? His ability wipes out multiple Cyclops’, and even hits air units.

Serina - ice barriers to freeze his base and mini bases

I’ve actually found something that can nullify a Forgehog. You’ve got to play Decimus though. You get out the Warlord, Engies, and Choppers. Upgrade your Warlord to Hammer Pull so that he can pull the Forgehog into the middle of your Choppers. Then you use the Y ability and stun him. Once he’s un-stunned, use Vortex Lightning to stun him again. Make sure he uses Anvil Round before you ram him so that you don’t line up all your Choppers to get red-bared.

I’ve used this strat multiple times, and it hasn’t failed me. It works against Jerome’s Mantis as well.

I would suggest somehow killing him once and then shutting down their armory and any armory they continue to make but the amount of resources that would take alone would throw you out the game so can’t help you

> 2533274830489835;9:
> I’ve actually found something that can nullify a Forgehog. You’ve got to play Decimus though. You get out the Warlord, Engies, and Choppers. Upgrade your Warlord to Hammer Pull so that he can pull the Forgehog into the middle of your Choppers. Then you use the Y ability and stun him. Once he’s un-stunned, use Vortex Lightning to stun him again. Make sure he uses Anvil Round before you ram him so that you don’t line up all your Choppers to get red-bared.
>
> I’ve used this strat multiple times, and it hasn’t failed me. It works against Jerome’s Mantis as well.

Decimus does well against any hero unit that’s for sure.

Problem is if you add up what you just spent to kill one unit that costs 300/275 + 325 for anvil round.

Decimus costs the same for his hero and upgrade (hammer pull is 350) and a level 2 vortex costs 300/200.

Depends how many choppers you have out but I’m assuming at least 4 which is coming close to 1,000 supply.

See the trend? You are spending a ridiculous amount on killing a unit that can be replaced in no time at all. AT THE SAME TIME his rolling economy ability is just booming his tech higher than yours with more supply income.

See the issue? It’s not killing the hog that’s really the issue. It’s how much you’re spending vs his advanced economy.

You will lose the game if he knows what he’s doing. His T2 transition will be easier than yours. Most good forges just spam hornets at t2 in which case you’ll have to put 225 power per reaver, thus slowing down your upgrades and economy further.

It’s a snowball effect. He starts with the best leader, best economy, and a solid transition into late game with grizzly drop and combat salvage.

It’s not ok.

Whenever I play Forge and I happen to lose the hog the only thing that goes through my head is ‘k lol brb.’

> 2533274812650916;11:
> > 2533274830489835;9:
> >
>
> Decimus does well against any hero unit that’s for sure.
>
> Problem is if you add up what you just spent to kill one unit that costs 300/275 + 325 for anvil round.
>
> Decimus costs the same for his hero and upgrade (hammer pull is 350) and a level 2 vortex costs 300/200.
>
> Depends how many choppers you have out but I’m assuming at least 4 which is coming close to 1,000 supply.
>
> See the trend? You are spending a ridiculous amount on killing a unit that can be replaced in no time at all. AT THE SAME TIME his rolling economy ability is just booming his tech higher than yours with more supply income.
>
> See the issue? It’s not killing the hog that’s really the issue. It’s how much you’re spending vs his advanced economy.
>
> You will lose the game if he knows what he’s doing. His T2 transition will be easier than yours. Most good forges just spam hornets at t2 in which case you’ll have to put 225 power per reaver, thus slowing down your upgrades and economy further.
>
> It’s a snowball effect. He starts with the best leader, best economy, and a solid transition into late game with grizzly drop and combat salvage.
>
> It’s not ok.

I never said Forge isn’t OP. He obviously is, and needs a good nerf ASAP.

But seeing as I’m going to be using my Warlord, leader powers, and Choppers for other things, I’m not really building all of those things just to deal with the Forgehog. Also, I don’t upgrade Vortex. The base version is more than capable of doing it’s job. When he techs up, I’ll just take all the nodes and do the exact same thing. Of course that leads into dealing with Hornets, which Reavers are nigh incapable of. That said, if you put Siphon II on them, they’ll shred. Problem is, that doesn’t last forever.

Once Reavers get a buff (which I’m hoping happens eventually) and Forgehog gets a nerf, this will be more cost efficient. Until then, this is the only thing I’ve found that lets me survive the early game against Forge.

> 2533274830489835;13:
> > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > >
> >
> > Decimus does well against any hero unit that’s for sure.
> >
> > Problem is if you add up what you just spent to kill one unit that costs 300/275 + 325 for anvil round.
> >
> > Decimus costs the same for his hero and upgrade (hammer pull is 350) and a level 2 vortex costs 300/200.
> >
> > Depends how many choppers you have out but I’m assuming at least 4 which is coming close to 1,000 supply.
> >
> > See the trend? You are spending a ridiculous amount on killing a unit that can be replaced in no time at all. AT THE SAME TIME his rolling economy ability is just booming his tech higher than yours with more supply income.
> >
> > See the issue? It’s not killing the hog that’s really the issue. It’s how much you’re spending vs his advanced economy.
> >
> > You will lose the game if he knows what he’s doing. His T2 transition will be easier than yours. Most good forges just spam hornets at t2 in which case you’ll have to put 225 power per reaver, thus slowing down your upgrades and economy further.
> >
> > It’s a snowball effect. He starts with the best leader, best economy, and a solid transition into late game with grizzly drop and combat salvage.
> >
> > It’s not ok.
>
> I never said Forge isn’t OP. He obviously is, and needs a good nerf ASAP.
>
> But seeing as I’m going to be using my Warlord, leader powers, and Choppers for other things, I’m not really building all of those things just to deal with the Forgehog. Also, I don’t upgrade Vortex. The base version is more than capable of doing it’s job. When he techs up, I’ll just take all the nodes and do the exact same thing. Of course that leads into dealing with Hornets, which Reavers are nigh incapable of. That said, if you put Siphon II on them, they’ll shred. Problem is, that doesn’t last forever.
>
> Once Reavers get a buff (which I’m hoping happens eventually) and Forgehog gets a nerf, this will be more cost efficient. Until then, this is the only thing I’ve found that lets me survive the early game against Forge.

You’re just delving into things like “I’ll just grab the power nodes” and you think a decent forge will just let it happen?

Siphon 2 won’t change any outcome. 1) You now have no counter for forge hog who has defensive aura and soon gauss overcharge. 2) throw siphon on your reavers and watch the hornets fly away until siphon is off, thus negating 2 of your leader points with a simple X command away from you. Siphon is only good in engagements where you can stick to your enemy. Otherwise they’ll just leave and come back when you don’t have it.

I mean don’t let me bring you down. If you’re tackling all the forges out there with Deci then more power to you. I’m just saying that RTS games are about crunching numbers and the numbers will never be in your favor with Forge in his current state. The only thing that will net you a win is the forge making mistakes.

> 2533274812650916;14:
> > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > > >
>
> You’re just delving into things like “I’ll just grab the power nodes” and you think a decent forge will just let it happen?
>
> Siphon 2 won’t change any outcome. 1) You now have no counter for forge hog who has defensive aura and soon gauss overcharge. 2) throw siphon on your reavers and watch the hornets fly away until siphon is off, thus negating 2 of your leader points with a simple X command away from you. Siphon is only good in engagements where you can stick to your enemy. Otherwise they’ll just leave and come back when you don’t have it.
>
> I mean don’t let me bring you down. If you’re tackling all the forges out there with Deci then more power to you. I’m just saying that RTS games are about crunching numbers and the numbers will never be in your favor with Forge in his current state. The only thing that will net you a win is the forge making mistakes.

If his Hog is dead, and he’s teching up, I doubt he’ll have much to keep me from taking the hooks.

Siphon also works on defense in certain scenarios where the Forge player is trying sacrifice all his units to take down your base (which happens fairly often, to me at least). Reavers are adept at taking down retreating air units because the jump ability as well, so you can get off some devastating salvos. Siphon can’t be “negated.” It can be avoided, but not without consequence.

And let me repeat that I know Forge is super OP. We agree completely. But when someone asks for tips, I feel that the response “Forge is OP” is insufficient.

> 2533274830489835;15:
> > 2533274812650916;14:
> > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > > > >
> > >
> > > I never said Forge isn’t OP. He obviously is, and needs a good nerf ASAP.
> > >
> > > But seeing as I’m going to be using my Warlord, leader powers, and Choppers for other things, I’m not really building all of those things just to deal with the Forgehog. Also, I don’t upgrade Vortex. The base version is more than capable of doing it’s job. When he techs up, I’ll just take all the nodes and do the exact same thing. Of course that leads into dealing with Hornets, which Reavers are nigh incapable of. That said, if you put Siphon II on them, they’ll shred. Problem is, that doesn’t last forever.
> > >
> > > Once Reavers get a buff (which I’m hoping happens eventually) and Forgehog gets a nerf, this will be more cost efficient. Until then, this is the only thing I’ve found that lets me survive the early game against Forge.
> >
> > You’re just delving into things like “I’ll just grab the power nodes” and you think a decent forge will just let it happen?
> >
> > Siphon 2 won’t change any outcome. 1) You now have no counter for forge hog who has defensive aura and soon gauss overcharge. 2) throw siphon on your reavers and watch the hornets fly away until siphon is off, thus negating 2 of your leader points with a simple X command away from you. Siphon is only good in engagements where you can stick to your enemy. Otherwise they’ll just leave and come back when you don’t have it.
> >
> > I mean don’t let me bring you down. If you’re tackling all the forges out there with Deci then more power to you. I’m just saying that RTS games are about crunching numbers and the numbers will never be in your favor with Forge in his current state. The only thing that will net you a win is the forge making mistakes.
>
> If his Hog is dead, and he’s teching up, I doubt he’ll have much to keep me from taking the hooks.
>
> Siphon also works on defense in certain scenarios where the Forge player is trying sacrifice all his units to take down your base (which happens fairly often, to me at least). Reavers are adept at taking down retreating air units because the jump ability as well, so you can get off some devastating salvos. Siphon can’t be “negated.” It can be avoided, but not without consequence.
>
> And let me repeat that I know Forge is super OP. We agree completely. But when someone asks for tips, I feel that the response “Forge is OP” is insufficient.

Like I said, if you’re meeting success then keep at it.

But I do want to point out that avoiding something is negating it’s effectiveness. In this case, you put two leader points into an ability with the HOPE that he’s going to be dumb enough to fight your reavers (assuming you even have enough of them). Just like you’re HOPING he has no other units and will let you have 5 nodes on the map.

The point of the thread was how to counter forge early game. Decimus can kill forge hog, yes. But it’s well established that that isn’t the whole issue. Not even close. You are beating forges who are making very amateur mistakes. Those are people who are playing forge because they read a forum post about how he’s strong, without understanding why he’s good and how to maximize efficiency.

> 2533274812650916;16:
> > 2533274830489835;15:
> > > 2533274812650916;14:
> > > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > > > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > > > > >
> > > >
> > > > I never said Forge isn’t OP. He obviously is, and needs a good nerf ASAP.
> > > >
> > > > But seeing as I’m going to be using my Warlord, leader powers, and Choppers for other things, I’m not really building all of those things just to deal with the Forgehog. Also, I don’t upgrade Vortex. The base version is more than capable of doing it’s job. When he techs up, I’ll just take all the nodes and do the exact same thing. Of course that leads into dealing with Hornets, which Reavers are nigh incapable of. That said, if you put Siphon II on them, they’ll shred. Problem is, that doesn’t last forever.
> > > >
> > > > Once Reavers get a buff (which I’m hoping happens eventually) and Forgehog gets a nerf, this will be more cost efficient. Until then, this is the only thing I’ve found that lets me survive the early game against Forge.
>
> Like I said, if you’re meeting success then keep at it.
>
> But I do want to point out that avoiding something is negating it’s effectiveness. In this case, you put two leader points into an ability with the HOPE that he’s going to be dumb enough to fight your reavers (assuming you even have enough of them). Just like you’re HOPING he has no other units and will let you have 5 nodes on the map.

I don’t think you understand. If your Reavers are fighting the Hornets, and you use Siphon, the Hornets are going to get shot at no matter how fast they fly away. And Decimus’ early game army, after killing the Hog, can deal with the stragglers easy mode.

> 2533274830489835;18:
> > 2533274812650916;16:
> > > 2533274830489835;15:
> > > > 2533274812650916;14:
> > > > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > > > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > > > > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I never said Forge isn’t OP. He obviously is, and needs a good nerf ASAP.
> > > > >
> > > > > But seeing as I’m going to be using my Warlord, leader powers, and Choppers for other things, I’m not really building all of those things just to deal with the Forgehog. Also, I don’t upgrade Vortex. The base version is more than capable of doing it’s job. When he techs up, I’ll just take all the nodes and do the exact same thing. Of course that leads into dealing with Hornets, which Reavers are nigh incapable of. That said, if you put Siphon II on them, they’ll shred. Problem is, that doesn’t last forever.
> > > > >
> > > > > Once Reavers get a buff (which I’m hoping happens eventually) and Forgehog gets a nerf, this will be more cost efficient. Until then, this is the only thing I’ve found that lets me survive the early game against Forge.
> >
> > Like I said, if you’re meeting success then keep at it.
> >
> > But I do want to point out that avoiding something is negating it’s effectiveness. In this case, you put two leader points into an ability with the HOPE that he’s going to be dumb enough to fight your reavers (assuming you even have enough of them). Just like you’re HOPING he has no other units and will let you have 5 nodes on the map.
>
> I don’t think you understand. If your Reavers are fighting the Hornets, and you use Siphon, the Hornets are going to get shot at no matter how fast they fly away. And Decimus’ early game army, after killing the Hog, can deal with the stragglers easy mode.

The problem is though with this that Hornets melt reavers. I know it doesn’t sound like that should happen but reavers are really terrible right now against hornets after their recent buff.

> 2533274812650916;17:
> The point of the thread was how to counter forge early game. Decimus can kill forge hog, yes. But it’s well established that that isn’t the whole issue. Not even close. You are beating forges who are making very amateur mistakes. Those are people who are playing forge because they read a forum post about how he’s strong, without understanding why he’s good and how to maximize efficiency.

I know that I’m not playing against Champ players, but the fact is that not everyone is a high-level player. Killing the Hog with the Warlord and Choppers will work just fine against most players. If it doesn’t have a 100% win-rate, that doesn’t make it unworkable. I’m just trying to help someone survive the early game. If that isn’t the “whole issue”, does that matter? The keywords in the thread title are “early” and “game.”