Tips, please.

I am quite new to Halo, along with Xbox in general. Perhaps someone could give me some tips on how to be an asset to my team and not a liability. I mostly have issues with firing, since I usually miss most of my shots, therefore wasting valuable ammo. Any help with that or just tips for general stuff in the multiplayer would be awesome. Thank you for your time.

Stick to your strengths I suppose. There are regular Waypoint community nights that take place here from the competitive matchmaking nights to more casual Race nights.

You should sign up for those and play with the fine folks from here. I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to give you tips on DMR mastery and the like.

:slight_smile:

In fact, there is one coming up on the 19th.

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/6787.aspx

Just play. I was like when I firsted started. It takes a while to get the hang of it. I suggest beating the campaign on normal first to get acclimated to normal gameplay (Heroic and Legendary have completely different play styles than competitive multiplayer). Go from there.

Alright then. Do you have any tips for taking out enemies with jetpacks? Those are what most people that I’ve been playing with use lately and unless someone has already weakened him for me, I am pretty much useless against them.

If you’re using the DMR and they’re one shot, just try and time your shot. That being said, spamming works if you go for the body and get a few quick shots.

If you can aim for the head go for it, but if not just spam their body and they should die!

• Don’t shoot your DMR, Needle Rifle, or Magnum too fast. Take 2 fast shots, then a half second break, then repeat. This should keep your reticule accurate.

• Feel free to spam your weapon at super close range, though. If they’re all up in your face, every shot should hit. This type of spamming is acceptable. lol.

• DMR is 4 shots (anywhere) to bust shields, then either 1 headshot or 3 body shots for the kill. Counting actually helps.

• Evade is the most multi-purpose armor ability. I suggest using it whenever it’s available. It’s great for movement and getting out of hairy situations. Of course, everyone has their own favorite ability, so just use what you like best, or change it up for different situations.

• Bounce frag grenades off the ground toward your enemy. Don’t try to hit them with it, because it will just bounce off of them, and they don’t detonate until a second after they’ve hit the ground.

• AR beats out the DMR at close range. DMR and Magnum beat AR at long range. Switch weapons where appropriate.

• Learn where the power weapons are and go for them. (Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Sword, Sniper, etc).

• Headshots are game-winners. If you’re having trouble getting headshots, play some Gruntpocalypse in Score Attack (single player Firefight matchmaking) for practice.

• Learn the maps, and communicate with your teammates. It’s best to play with buddies, so you can develop strategies together.

• There’s no real way to beat out a guy with a jetpack, except to shoot him down… My only advice on that is to aim for the head. The good thing about jetpackers, though, is that their path is easily predicable, so you should be able to pick em off.

• Lastly, if you feel the reticule moves too fast when you press the joystick, you can lower the sensitivity in the pause menu. If you feel it’s too slow, you can bump it up. Find the setting that works best for you. This should help your aiming problem some.

• The more you play, the better you’ll get. Just stick with it and you’ll learn the ropes. :slight_smile:

I know how hard it is to start out. The key to this game is getting your opponents shield down then they are basically a one shot kill to the head. So master your nade throwing (remember they need to hit something before exploding to bouncing nades is advised) and in CQC your melee will knock their shield out. The rest is all about timing your shots specially with the DMR and Needle Rifle.

Just play as much as you can concentrate on staying alive helps your team out rushing around getting killed time and time again gives the other team points. A good place to cut your teeth is in Rumble Pit

when i first started halo, many years ago, i know exactly how you feel. the advice given to me since then has proven good regardless of the game. try not dying (yes i know it sounds condesending), but it works, if they cant/dont kill you, they wont get a point, even if you have to settle for getting hundreds of assists, eventualy when you start finding players as inexperianced as you, or you have a good game you will improve, playing people worse tha you is like playing tin cans on a fence you wont get better the key is challenge dont give up and DONT DIE. as for the whole jetpack thing, didnt have those when i started, id sudgest a needler as they track jet packers very well or go for the head.
also id like to be in your games more if you keep finding jetpacks im sick of everyone using AL.

I’m pretty terrible as well, but one thing I’ve learned just a short while ago, which helped me a lot in my most recent games, is don’t be too aggressive. Don’t venture into areas of the maps you think enemies may be in if you don’t think you’ll have an advantage. Try to make sure you’re always carrying the best weapon combination you can, and that those two weapons compliment each other well (range/close).
I used to just run around the map looking for fights. I’d win some, I’d lose some, and I was fine with that. But once I figured out the fights would come to me, and I could decide the terms, I started doing a bit better.

> I’m pretty terrible as well, but one thing I’ve learned just a short while ago, which helped me a lot in my most recent games, is don’t be too aggressive. Don’t venture into areas of the maps you think enemies may be in if you don’t think you’ll have an advantage. Try to make sure you’re always carrying the best weapon combination you can, and that those two weapons compliment each other well (range/close).
> I used to just run around the map looking for fights. I’d win some, I’d lose some, and I was fine with that. But once I figured out the fights would come to me, and I could decide the terms, I started doing a bit better.

good advise and stick to the edge of the maps so you cant be beat down from behind thats good advise for all FPS minimise the angles you can be attacked from.

Ok, obviously I didn’t plan ahead when making this topic, but just to see how I fared in the original Halo games, I took Halo 3 out for a spin and followed most of your all’s great advise (except about the armor abilities, since there are none in 3). While I sucked, I was never the lowest on my team, which is a step up from what I once was (those BRs are like DMRs, but way more powerful!).

Same with Reach when I played it later. I picked off those annoying jetpackers easier, but there are two obstacles that I can’t over come, no matter what AAs or tactics I use, and that’s snipers and people who gang up on me. I toke the long way around, used holograms, stuck to the edges, and all I got is a sniper bullet through the skull or a double teamed assault. Are there any remedies to these situations (which if I am not mistaken quite common)?

> but there are two obstacles that I can’t over come, no matter what AAs or tactics I use, and that’s snipers and people who gang up on me.

the key to fighting snipers is knowing the common sniping spots, and anticipating them being there. when you get killed, make a habit of trying to figure out where the person who killed you was, then REMEMBER it. after that, try to spot said person first, then put yourself in a position to kill him second. dont just shoot the second you see him UNLESS HE SEES YOU.

some times you can get into a good spot where you can just shoot them and his only options are:

-no scope you (just strafe kinda weird and he’ll miss almost always, unless hes incredible, or incredibly lucky lol)
-switch to his secondary (then hes already 2-3 shots behind).
-run away (then be careful but press your advantage as much as you can without going thru an easy-to-grenade choke point.

===

most of the playlists have RADAR on. use this as MUCH as possible. eventually, when you get good at aiming, when you are 2 shots ahead you can take your focus off of the DMR battle and take a glimpse at your radar to see whats up for the next encounter after that. it will take a while, but learning to use your radar is absolutely INCREDIBLE in halo reach.

see a bunch of dots around you? CROUCH, they cant see you when you crouch-walk. use your radar to pick people off when they are alone.

===

learn how to pre-emptive strike grenade people using your radar alone. if you see someone running in a straight line towards a choke point (where they cant see you currently) STAND STILL, or CROUCH WALK, and wait, then throw a grenade to make it explode when they come around the corner. after this, headshot them, or melee them. grenades in reach are mini nukes, so this works REALLY WELL. be sure to ALWAYS try to pick up grenades, and REMEMBER where they spawn at, because they are better than every single non-power weapon in the entire game.

start up forge on some maps, spawn a GRIP of grenades about the place, then just chuck them over and over and over and over. chuck hundreds of grenades. try to trick shot them off of walls, and tiny objects. try to bank them off of certain things to land in problematic places. learn the arch of the grenades.

if you cant hit 2 people with 1 grenade, you will probably die to them. thats just how halo is right now. in halo 1, and 2, you could reasonably out-shoot / out play 2 people at once. in halos 3, and reach, you’d be lucky to kill 2 people without a grenade hitting them both. remember this, and PICK YOUR BATTLES. only fight on YOUR TERMS, NOT THEIRS.

==

you said you had a problem with shooting, and that you are new to xbox. not to sound cocky, but i know what im talking about, and im quite the expert on all things halo and console FPS in general.

the VERY BEST THING you can do for yourself as a new-ish FPS player to get better the fastest is to use the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST SENSITIVITY for AT LEAST 2 months.

in halo, this is 10 sensitivity (turn speed for aiming, but you prolly knew that lol).

if you crank up your look sensitivity SUPER HIGH you will suck at first, then you’ll slowly get better. within a few days you’ll be doing ok, maybe a bit below average at shooting. within 2 weeks you’ll be average at shooting. within a month you’ll be above average, and within 2 months you’ll master the 10 sensitivity. its all about TRAINING your thumb to be MASTERFUL, so you can CONTROL your aiming 100%. when the slightest touch of the stick makes your reticule jump, you’ll learn how to aim masterfully 10x faster than if you were to just slog it out and keep trying shooting normally.

it WILL BE FRUSTRATING trying to master this because its, quite frankly, hard to do. once you do tho, if you stick with it, the pay off is FANTASTIC.

after 2 months, lower your sensitivity down to 4, or 5. with these, you will be able to snipe a lot better than with 3 (because people often times move fast like sprint, and if they are close-ish to you you wont be able to hit them).

you will suddenly notice that, instead of using whatever sensitivity you are using now and getting fairly good accuracy, missing often, shooting will be A BREEZE for you since you were so used to 10 sensitivity, and now you are down to something a LOT slower.

thats what i did. i just thought to myself one day that this just might be the best way to train my aiming to not be so mediocre, and then i did it, and it WORKED. i trained for 3 months on 10 sensitivity. then i moved it down to like 4, or 5, and BOOM, i was getting damn near 100% accuracy, missing VERY RARELY after that.

=====

also, when using the DMR, use a 1, 2, pause, 1, 2, pause, 1, 2, pause cadence.

the 1, 2’s are at FULL SPAM (fast as possible), then the pause is for FULL RESET (you can actually do it a TAD bit before full reset, but dont try this till you master it without).

with this cadence you will have 100% accuracy at EVERY RANGE, and have a MUCH faster cadence than someone trying the 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 cadence. heck, even if you miss a shot, with this cadence you will still probably end up ahead against someone using the 1’s cadence.

at close range, SPAM SPAM SPAM (close range is the range in which your reticule covers HALF, or MORE of your target) till you get 4 hits (look at their shields), then STOP for full reset, then HEADSHOT.

also, the pistol is INCREDIBLE at close range. its even better than the AR because you can headshot with it after the 4 spammed HITS (again, wait for full reset).

Drop your look sensitivity to 2 and aim with ur right joystick, or set it to 4 and aim with ur left joystick…and crouch whenever possible when shooting:) DMR, pistol, AR, it don’t matter crouching helps with all of it.

It’s amazing…I can’t stop myself from leaping into the fight. I usually bite off more than I can chew, which I’m sure even now the master sometimes do. I pumped my sensitivity to 7, since I’m a bit intimidated by the 10. I always start out strong, but after my first three kills, I get cocky and get another set of deaths to my name.

Through all my heat battles, especially in the ones at Think Twice, I tried out the tactics of firing twice with the Needle Rifle and DMR. Well, I usually couldn’t keep my trigger finger from pressing the trigger, but I was able to fire in groups in five, so thats an improvement. My accuracy was a lot better than it usual is, as I took out jetpackers with ease and picked off lone wandering players with my Needle Rifle and DMR.

I didn’t run into any snipers, but I did run into a no scooper, who was quite good.

Well, now for my next set of questions. Does the Needle Rifle have a supercombine explosion like the Needlers? I think after getting sniped awhile ago, I exploded in the similarly pink way. I also need some help with those annoying Armor Lockers, now that I have my previous dangers under control. What I do (and what some others do, too) is back up and throw a grenade near them so that when they come out of it, they are greeted with a bang. Any other suggestions?

> It’s amazing…I can’t stop myself from leaping into the fight. I usually bite off more than I can chew, which I’m sure even now the master sometimes do. I pumped my sensitivity to 7, since I’m a bit intimidated by the 10. I always start out strong, but after my first three kills, I get cocky and get another set of deaths to my name.
>
> Through all my heat battles, especially in the ones at Think Twice, I tried out the tactics of firing twice with the Needle Rifle and DMR. Well, I usually couldn’t keep my trigger finger from pressing the trigger, but I was able to fire in groups in five, so thats an improvement. My accuracy was a lot better than it usual is, as I took out jetpackers with ease and picked off lone wandering players with my Needle Rifle and DMR.
>
> I didn’t run into any snipers, but I did run into a no scooper, who was quite good.
>
> Well, now for my next set of questions. Does the Needle Rifle have a supercombine explosion like the Needlers? I think after getting sniped awhile ago, I exploded in the similarly pink way. I also need some help with those annoying Armor Lockers, now that I have my previous dangers under control. What I do (and what some others do, too) is back up and throw a grenade near them so that when they come out of it, they are greeted with a bang. Any other suggestions?

it is pretty intimidating, but i assure you the payoff for running 10 sensitivity for a while is well worth it. if you can handle 7 now, you will be able to handle 10 soon too. it shouldnt take you too long to aim as well as you do with 7 currently, after you bump it to 10. just 7 is like only training… some… you can train more, and that will be ideal :smiley:

when you are firing, just think… one two… one two… one two… one two… practice it in custom games with ‘bottomless clip’ enabled. just keep doing it over and over and over and over for a while till you get the rhythm of it. that will help a LOT in this regard. im pretty sure the optimal cadence is like if you were firing at full spam, except, you just pause instead of fire every third shot.

yes, the needle rifle does ‘supercombine’. if you pop their shields, 3 shots will do this. its not optimal, however, because 1 headshot is faster than 3 body shots.

when you encounter armor lockers, the very best thing you can do is to get away. its kinda sad, but thats the best way to deal with armor lockers. at least, thats whats optimal at higher levels of play. it sucks that you wont get that kill, but at least you wont die to such a stupid armor ability. maybe you arent playing against people that stick together, so you can wait it off and have a grenade at their feet for when they pop out. when you are waiting for their AL to run out, pay CLOSE attention to your motion tracker. if you see a blip, GET OUT. the AL’er might be weak, or no shields, but with a friend they can easily 2v1 you if they are decent.