Tips on how to get good with sniper?

I don’t know why, but with the binary and beam rifle and can easily get kills but with the sniper it’s so hard for me! Anybody have some “pro” tips on how to more kills with it? Oh, and some tips on snapshots would be nice too :).

That clunky piece of garbage? Your guess is as good as mine.

Practice makes perfect! If only there was a playlist to practice sniping in.

make a big octagon with random spawn points around the edges in it.
have friends.
setup the classes to start with the sniper and the dmr/br.
kill each other as you respawn for an hour.

profit?

Some maps have certain flow patterns and recognizing them will give you that extra edge and time to properly aim.

Practice helps, obviously.
Here’s what I did in Reach

Go into Forge and make a simple map, nothing too fancy just some reason to move around.
Spawn some grenades (Frag, Plasma or Pulse, doesn’t matter)
Spawn atleast 10-15
Set these settings for each one

FIXED physics, Respawn time 10-15 seconds depending on map size.

now place them places where you can see them without getting too close (depending on your sniper skill)

Now, alone or with a friend, race to shoot them with snipers, Infinite ammo.

The grenades explode when hit by a precision weapon, so this can be used to practice with:
BR, DMR, Magnum, Beam rifle, Sniper etc.

If you want them to move, try spawning man-cannons that will propel them? but give the grenade a lower spawn time.

This REALLY helped me get better back in the day.

Sniper rifle has the most kickback of all snipers weapons. The beam rifle has less which leads to easier snapshots while the binary rifle only needs 1 body shot to be deadly. 343 really -Yoinked!- up the sandbox in this game, all 3 sniper variants should do the same damage or require the same number of shots to kill. IE 1 headshot or two body shots.

As for tips, don’t use it for close range if you can. Use active camo with it, and don’t waste your ammo trying to pop vehicles. I put four rounds into a mantis today and it didn’t even go down.

> Sniper rifle has the most kickback of all snipers weapons. The beam rifle has less which leads to easier snapshots while the binary rifle only needs 1 body shot to be deadly. 343 really -Yoinked!- up the sandbox in this game, all 3 sniper variants should do the same damage or require the same number of shots to kill. IE 1 headshot or two body shots.
>
> As for tips, don’t use it for close range if you can. Use active camo with it, and don’t waste your ammo trying to pop vehicles. I put four rounds into a mantis today and it didn’t even go down.

I also feel that the aim-assist/Bullet magnetism and the other game mechanic things are varied in the guns, I think that the Beam Rifle is a lot easier to headshot with, and I think the reticle is different but I’m not sure about these mechanics.

aim for the head.
oh wait this is halo 4, just go rapid double body shots like everyone else.

> aim for the head.
> oh wait this is halo 4, just go rapid double body shots like everyone else.

Yeah, I feel like in this game it’s a lot easier to get two bodyshots than in previous games…
Sniper is no longer a weapon that punishes missing.

Practice!

I maxed out my Sniper Rifle commendation - I’m not very good - just by playing lots of BTB (Ragnarok, camp the base) and Dominion.

Go for the head, obviously - rather than tracking a moving target its sometimes easier to put your reticle where they’re going to go and wait until they’re in it. The magnetisation and hitbox are pretty generous now.

Active Camo with AA efficiency is cheesy but great for camping and sniping. Just remember to crouch-walk in the open so your camo doesn’t shimmer.

Sniper seems to be toned down against vehicles in this game, but it’s still well worth taking pot shots at Banshees, they’re very weak. And of course, if you see any heavily damaged vehicles with enemies still in them, it’d be a shame to not take the easy kill…

Speaking of which, the sniper can be really good if you use it to take out enemy vehicle crew who are attacking your team mates (if they’re attacking you? Run.) The Ghost is very vulnerable to having the driver sniped out when it’s facing the side. Aim nice and high to headshot the Warthog gunner. And, there’s nothing more satisfying than sniping some guy who’s climbing up the back of your team’s Mantis.

If your looking to get some close range snapshots in try Forunner Vision. It will help with the timing as they come around the corner.

Here take this *Hands SNIPING FOR DUMMIES
Step 1- Make sure you have ammo in your sniper
Step 2- Aim for the Head
Step 3- Shoot when the radical turns red

• Not helpful well don’t use it

> > aim for the head.
> > oh wait this is halo 4, just go rapid double body shots like everyone else.
>
> Yeah, I feel like in this game it’s a lot easier to get two bodyshots than in previous games…
> Sniper is no longer a weapon that punishes missing.

Actually double body shots happened just as much in 3 and reach.

Patience is the key. Far far to many so called “snipers” loose off ammo willy nilly at everything in view. Slow down, take your time, make every shot count. Dont stand in the open between shots, fire and manouver in to cover. Try not to camp in one place with it because a smart enemy team will pick you off after just one shot with it if you do.

My usual is to have the sights set ahead of the target, so that they run in to the crosshairs and I then pull the trigger. If you are no good on moving targets play as a counter-sniper. Watch for enemy sniper rounds coming in towards your team, get a good LOS out of his scope view, wait for him/her to position for a shot and blow their head off.

Remember that every single bullet is a 1sk if you shoot properly. Thats potential for 8 kills right off the bat with a sniper rifle. So dont waste ammo on a crap shoot. Try and make it a gauranteed kill shot. But if you do only get a body shot, make sure you either follow it up with another round pronto, or get your backside out of there. Dont waste more ammo than needed on them.

> Practice makes perfect! If only there was a playlist to practice sniping in.

Custom games?

With increased magnetism, this game provides the easiest sniping among all the games except Halo2 where the hitbox was about the size of a Warthog. Anyways, if you can’t line up the headshot, aim for the body. In this game, when hit with any weapon, the opponent slows down giving you enough time to ace another body shot. Honestly I wish the other snipers where start-up weapons instead of the sniper. I completed the sniper commendation within the first week simply from being a little noob and camping in Ragnarok.

ive tried all of these none of wordthem seem to work

Why is everybody suggesting he plays BTB and sits back with the sniper in camo? How on earth will that help (assuming he already can pick off players at long range, completely oblivious of his presence with the mass amount of Aim Assist the sniper has)? Its pretty much the same as shooting across map with the DMR, just no one shoots back.

Quite honestly the best way to improve is to leave your comfort zone. By this I mean, if you are not very confident with the sniper at mid to close range, then try put yourself into them close to mid range situations. The best way to do this is play Octagon. Grab a friend of similar skill and just practice with the Sniper. I played Octagon everyday for a couple of weeks in Halo Reach, and I am now an incredibly confident sniper. Double tapping Y gets you out of scope fast, which is very useful as you need to be always aware of whats around you, especially in Octagon. The last thing you should be doing with the sniper is tunnel visioning.

You always, always need to be moving. Apply a strafe when using the sniper: Short strafe at close range and a longer strafe at long range. Learn the map and set yourself up for sniping. This is something I see far to often done by players in Halo 4. They put themselves in the worst possible positions for sniping. A sniper needs long sight lines with cover to retreat to and possible escape roots. Try find advantageous angles and sightlines (there are hundereds on Haven alone e.g Mohawk to under blue/red bridge or the platforms at the top of open ramp to red/blue window). Don’t make yourself an easy kill because loosing the sniper isn’t going to make the game any easier.

They’re are just a few tips I have to give with the time available which I think would help immensely with improving your sniper.

EDIT
Just noticed date. Why do people bring these topics up after a year anyway O.O

> Practice makes perfect! If only there was a playlist to practice sniping in.

I believe it’s called Team Snipers.

> ive tried all of these none of wordthem seem to work

bumptacular