Tips for taking down banshees

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining that banshees are too strong, and too hard to kill because of the flip/evade. I’m a pretty good banshee pilot, but here are the weapons that are most likely to take me down and/or keep me scared and prevent me from having total control of the map. Against average players I can wreak havoc in my banshee, but good teams will take me down very fast if I’m not super careful. Here are the best ways to take down a good banshee pilot, in order of best -> worst. Hope this is useful!

Methods 1-4 are strong enough to solo-kill an ultra / temple banshee, but with the weaker ones it will take longer, and usually some help from teammates.

• Hannibal Scorpion (L8). Absolutely melts banshees, including ultras, and can withstand a lot of damage too. Has insane range and damage output, and there’s no warning laser that prompts the banshee to flip/evade. - Endgame (L5). Fast charge time so they don’t see it coming, thus have a harder time flipping or boosting away. Does tons of damage, has lots of ammo, has long range. One of the best REQs in the game because it’s so good but only L5. - Oni Scorpion (L7). Fires very fast shells, so you can hit airborne targets, and can withstand a lot of damage. - Hannibal Mantis (L7). Both weapons on this thing absolutely melt banshees. - H2 Beam Rifle Delta (L7). No targeting laser to give you away, and actually does a lot of vehicle damage. It’s also awesome against phaetons (especially if you snipe their weak spot). - Arclight (L5). The second best option at L5 after the Endgame. You can hold a charge and then fire once the banshee stops flipping. Its only weakness is the lower damage output which means it takes several shots to kill an ultra/temple banshee. - Sniper / beam rifles (L6). You actually can do a ton of damage by sniping banshees. And there’s no laser to give you away. Especially for paper/sword banshees, you can cause them big problems using a sniper. The nornfang has the most damage output, but the rapid fire beam rifles are also pretty good. If you snipe banshees in the rear end weak spot, it will do double damage. - Selene’s Lance (L6). Does tons of damage if you get a direct hit, but the recoil makes that very hard. Also has a longer charge time than the endgame, so they see it coming and try to flip away. Endgames/Arclights are better and cheaper. - Phaeton Helios (L8). The beam weapon will hurt banshees bad, but you’re also very vulnerable… everyone will be gunning for you, from ground and air, and you don’t have a ton of health/armor. Ultra banshees will wreck you if they hit you with a banshee bomb or two. And if there are multiple banshees in the sky, they can also melt you. Don’t risk your helios if they have a lot of banshees up. - Whiplash (L4): Doesn’t do nearly as much damage as an Arclight/endgame, but can still cause significant problems for paper/sword banshees. And they don’t see it coming since there’s no targeting laser. - Sentinel beam (L3): probably the best “cheap” way to do damage to banshees if you’re stuck at low REQ level. It fires continuously so they can’t always flip away, and no lock-on is required. - Spartan Laser (L4). Does tons of damage if you can actually land a hit, but good banshee pilots will usually be able to evade because of the long charge time. It helps to stand behind a wall, start charging while aimed at the wall, then pop out at the last second so they don’t see the targeting beam beforehand. - Barbed Lance (L4): It’s a step down from the other options, but still can deal a lot of damage-per-second against air vehicles. You MUST zoom in (more damage in that mode). Has tons of ammo. You probably can’t kill a good pilot with this, but you can annoy them enough to prevent them running amok. On the plus side, it’s hard for them to evade since there’s no targeting laser warning, and you can rapid fire shots. If you haven’t unlocked the barbed lance yet, the Lightriflle is okay… but fires much slower so you do less damage. - Blood of Suban (L4): It’s better than the barbed lance IF you can hit them 5x in a row for the supercombine, but if they’re flipping/dodging that’s harder. Depends how good the pilot is… against weaker pilots this thing is awesome, and has tons of ammo. - Gauss Turret / Oni Chaingun Turret (L5): Can hurt a banshee badly, but you move so slow that it’s hard to get good position and stay safe. - The Answer (L6): Deals a lot of damage, but doesn’t have great range. So you can really only injure banshees that are nearby. But if they get close and don’t see you… you will wreck them. - ProPipe / Nade launcher (L3-L4); Use the EMP firing mode - detonate near the banshee and you’ll get an EMP. Downside is that you’ll usually need teammates to help finish it. - Plasma pistols: They are really only good against weaker banshee pilots who don’t flip a lot. Plus, you will need teammates to help kill/board it once EMPed. - Kinetic Bolt Longshot AR (L2): If you only have L2s to fight a banshee, you’re going to struggle. But this thing has tons of range in smart-link, and you can really do a lot of damage to a banshee with this. But you’ll need help from teamshot. - Kinetic Bolts BR / DMR: Doesn’t cost any REQs, and can definitely hurt a banshee. But you’ll need help from teamshot.(Also, you can call your own banshee. :slight_smile: But if they have multiple banshees up already, you’re better off sticking to the ground and trying to kill them all)

It’s noteworthy to deplete the energy shields on a Wasp/Banshee before you start wailing on it. This way, your shots will retain their original effectiveness without sacrificing a portion of their damage for the shields. Poking away at the weak points will rapidly chew them apart too.

That’s a good list, but allow me to interject a really easy way to take down Banshees.

Shoot them. With anything.

Banshees may have shields but they don’t have infinite health. Just keep shooting with your AR or BR, or your pistol. You have enough people shooting it with basic weapons and they will go down decently fast. Nothing annoys me more than in BTB when instead of shooting a Banshee or Wasp my team runs around like chickens with their heads cut off and die trying to escape. If they would have just shot, even if they die, the vehicle will have less health next time around.

> 2533274821761464;3:
> That’s a good list, but allow me to interject a really easy way to take down Banshees.
>
> Shoot them. With anything.
>
> Banshees may have shields but they don’t have infinite health. Just keep shooting with your AR or BR, or your pistol. You have enough people shooting it with basic weapons and they will go down decently fast. Nothing annoys me more than in BTB when instead of shooting a Banshee or Wasp my team runs around like chickens with their heads cut off and die trying to escape. If they would have just shot, even if they die, the vehicle will have less health next time around.

This^

As was mentioned by Haxor, dropping banshee shields is really useful. So if you don’t have a power weapon, just keep some fire on the banshee with anything, even just a couple BR shots, that keeps it much more vulnerable to the big arclight/laser shot that your teammate is going to fire. it’s especially important for a banshee/wasp that already had its shields dropped - KEEP SHOOTING at it, with anything you have. That will prevent it from recharging shields and keep it vulnerable. If the pilot is smart, he’ll retreat a bit and that will temporarily relieve pressure on your team. If he’s dumb, he will stick around and get killed.

Side notes:

• The Oni Warthog isn’t bad, but your driver will need to be careful to keep you safe from BR fire. Same for the sword needler hog. The regular warthog can hurt paper banshees, but sword/ultra/temple are too strong. - The L5 / L6 mantises are so-so… basically just keep firing your chain-gun at the banshee. The rockets aren’t very useful because the banshees will flip away. The chaingun can badly hurt sword / paper banshees, especially if their shields are down. Basically it’s a helpful contribution to teamshot, to keep their shields down, and if they challenge you hard they will suffer a lot of damage.

That’s cool, like how there are many ways to take down certain vehicles, in this case a banshee. Also, I would figure that the Endgame would deal a lot of damage due to its high rate!

I agree with the premise of this thread and those who simply point out the importance of sustaining team fire on them; however, for those that are complaining about Banshees being a bit OP it’s worth noting that those people are typically referring to how some have the skills to truly maximize the Banshee’s full capabilities such as can be seen in these videos:

57-0 Killstreak, Perfection, Play-By-Play
65-2 Unfriggenbelievable On Viking
114 Kills! Double Unfriggenbelievable/Invincible!
89-0 Perfection, Unfriggenbelievable
107 Kills, DOUBLE UNFRIGGENBELIEVABLE!

No doubt highly skilled banshee pilots can turn these aerial vehicles into arguably some of the most, if not the most, powerful vehicles in the game which is why there are people who desperately want to see them receive some nerfing in order to tone down their capability a bit.

I don’t really have a strong position myself, but I can see and understand why people are easily frustrated by these vehicles in the hands of highly talented pilots; however, as many others are saying here there are methods and tactics to deal with them. The problem I see is that the adequacy to achieve those methods and tactics to deal with them aren’t practical enough in many games which is why I’m okay with the Banshee receiving some slight adjustments. Personally, if I were to advise 343i in regards to tweaking them it’d be to increase the Sword, Temple, and Ultra Banshee’s REQ level requirement by 1 (the regular Banshee is fine IMO), remove the bomb blast’s boosted velocity when fired during a back-flip maneuver (I’m not even sure if that was an intended design goal or just an accident that’s been left alone), and perhaps put a very minor metered cooldown toward the flip/barrel roll mechanic. That meter could be applied to either the regular banshee only or all but the Temple depending on how much addressing is deemed necessary. The reason I leave out the Temple Banshee is because its calling card is its increased maneuverability (which is in part why its REQ level is what it is) and that calling card should include unlimited use of the flip/barrel roll mechanic. In my opinion, the meter should act in similar fashion to how the overheating of a mounted chaingun/turret works. Give the standard banshee the potential to enact 3 to 4 flips in immediate succession before encountering a minor cooldown. If a pilot is able to pace their use of the mechanic they shouldn’t encounter the cooldown effect which introduces a new sense of skill and difficulty of use. Heck the metered cooldown could allow more successive flips/barrel rolls to occur before enacting a cooldown period for the other (non-Temple) higher REQ banshees if they decided to go that route instead of just the standard banshee receiving the cooldown. These changes would still allow a talented banshee pilot to perform as normal for the most part, but they may be forced to pull back from the front lines of the battlefield more often (perhaps to recharge their meter) which should present more windows for the opposing team to make their necessary pushes against their opponent.

> 2533274906308237;5:
> Side notes:
>
>
> - The Oni Warthog isn’t bad, but your driver will need to be careful to keep you safe from BR fire. Same for the sword needler hog. The regular warthog can hurt paper banshees, but sword/ultra/temple are too strong. - The L5 / L6 mantises are so-so… basically just keep firing your chain-gun at the banshee. The rockets aren’t very useful because the banshees will flip away. The chaingun can badly hurt sword / paper banshees, especially if their shields are down. Basically it’s a helpful contribution to teamshot, to keep their shields down, and if they challenge you hard they will suffer a lot of damage.

Just like to add onto the Mantises: When you acquire a lock-on, shoot upwards to wave over and around obstacles that may disrupt your missiles. This allows greater probability of landing successive hits and also works well with Hydras and Rocket Launchers.

EDIT: The SPNKr Prime is the most ill-suited for this tactic due to its high-velocity rockets.

Wonder where you’d slot Jorge’s Chaingun and regular Chaingun into that list as they’re not specifically mentioned? I imagine Jorge’s wouldn’t be lower than the ONI Chaingun.

Run and cry.
Wait this isn’t reach? Nvm
But in all seriousness. Team -Yoink- is the easiest way that I found out. Granted it required you’re team to function as well a team.

> 2775209234672000;9:
> Wonder where you’d slot Jorge’s Chaingun and regular Chaingun into that list as they’re not specifically mentioned? I imagine Jorge’s wouldn’t be lower than the ONI Chaingun.

Oh heavens no. With Jorge’s chaingun you rip through a Helios phaeton like it’s paper

Awesome list and thank you for taking the time to compile it!

> 2533274906308237;4:
> > 2533274821761464;3:
> > That’s a good list, but allow me to interject a really easy way to take down Banshees.
> >
> > Shoot them. With anything.
> >
> > Banshees may have shields but they don’t have infinite health. Just keep shooting with your AR or BR, or your pistol. You have enough people shooting it with basic weapons and they will go down decently fast. Nothing annoys me more than in BTB when instead of shooting a Banshee or Wasp my team runs around like chickens with their heads cut off and die trying to escape. If they would have just shot, even if they die, the vehicle will have less health next time around.
>
> This^
>
> As was mentioned by Haxor, dropping banshee shields is really useful. So if you don’t have a power weapon, just keep some fire on the banshee with anything, even just a couple BR shots, that keeps it much more vulnerable to the big arclight/laser shot that your teammate is going to fire. it’s especially important for a banshee/wasp that already had its shields dropped - KEEP SHOOTING at it, with anything you have. That will prevent it from recharging shields and keep it vulnerable. If the pilot is smart, he’ll retreat a bit and that will temporarily relieve pressure on your team. If he’s dumb, he will stick around and get killed.

^^ This

It drives me bonkers when people stop shooting and let it’s shields recharge. Every shot counts and keeping the shields down is the best defense against a shielded vehicle

Great tips. Just yesterday saw some basic Banshees flying around, and thought of this thread. Brought out a beam rifle (have too many of them anyways) to help take them out. Worked out well and they weren’t flying around for long :smiley:

> 2533274906308237;1:
> I’ve seen a lot of people complaining that banshees are too strong, and too hard to kill because of the flip/evade. I’m a pretty good banshee pilot, but here are the weapons that are most likely to take me down and/or keep me scared and prevent me from having total control of the map. Against average players I can wreak havoc in my banshee, but good teams will take me down very fast if I’m not super careful. Here are the best ways to take down a good banshee pilot, in order of best → worst. Hope this is useful!
>
> Methods 1-4 are strong enough to solo-kill an ultra / temple banshee, but with the weaker ones it will take longer, and usually some help from teammates.
> - Hannibal Scorpion (L8). Absolutely melts banshees, including ultras, and can withstand a lot of damage too. Has insane range and damage output, and there’s no warning laser that prompts the banshee to flip/evade. - Endgame (L5). Fast charge time so they don’t see it coming, thus have a harder time flipping or boosting away. Does tons of damage, has lots of ammo, has long range. One of the best REQs in the game because it’s so good but only L5. - Oni Scorpion (L7). Fires very fast shells, so you can hit airborne targets, and can withstand a lot of damage. - Hannibal Mantis (L7). Both weapons on this thing absolutely melt banshees. - H2 Beam Rifle Delta (L7). No targeting laser to give you away, and actually does a lot of vehicle damage. It’s also awesome against phaetons (especially if you snipe their weak spot). - Arclight (L5). The second best option at L5 after the Endgame. You can hold a charge and then fire once the banshee stops flipping. Its only weakness is the lower damage output which means it takes several shots to kill an ultra/temple banshee. - Sniper / beam rifles (L6). You actually can do a ton of damage by sniping banshees. And there’s no laser to give you away. Especially for paper/sword banshees, you can cause them big problems using a sniper. The nornfang has the most damage output, but the rapid fire beam rifles are also pretty good. If you snipe banshees in the rear end weak spot, it will do double damage. - Selene’s Lance (L6). Does tons of damage if you get a direct hit, but the recoil makes that very hard. Also has a longer charge time than the endgame, so they see it coming and try to flip away. Endgames/Arclights are better and cheaper. - Phaeton Helios (L8). The beam weapon will hurt banshees bad, but you’re also very vulnerable… everyone will be gunning for you, from ground and air, and you don’t have a ton of health/armor. Ultra banshees will wreck you if they hit you with a banshee bomb or two. And if there are multiple banshees in the sky, they can also melt you. Don’t risk your helios if they have a lot of banshees up. - Whiplash (L4): Doesn’t do nearly as much damage as an Arclight/endgame, but can still cause significant problems for paper/sword banshees. And they don’t see it coming since there’s no targeting laser. - Sentinel beam (L3): probably the best “cheap” way to do damage to banshees if you’re stuck at low REQ level. It fires continuously so they can’t always flip away, and no lock-on is required. - Spartan Laser (L4). Does tons of damage if you can actually land a hit, but good banshee pilots will usually be able to evade because of the long charge time. It helps to stand behind a wall, start charging while aimed at the wall, then pop out at the last second so they don’t see the targeting beam beforehand. - Barbed Lance (L4): It’s a step down from the other options, but still can deal a lot of damage-per-second against air vehicles. You MUST zoom in (more damage in that mode). Has tons of ammo. You probably can’t kill a good pilot with this, but you can annoy them enough to prevent them running amok. On the plus side, it’s hard for them to evade since there’s no targeting laser warning, and you can rapid fire shots. If you haven’t unlocked the barbed lance yet, the Lightriflle is okay… but fires much slower so you do less damage. - Blood of Suban (L4): It’s better than the barbed lance IF you can hit them 5x in a row for the supercombine, but if they’re flipping/dodging that’s harder. Depends how good the pilot is… against weaker pilots this thing is awesome, and has tons of ammo. - Gauss Turret / Oni Chaingun Turret (L5): Can hurt a banshee badly, but you move so slow that it’s hard to get good position and stay safe. - The Answer (L6): Deals a lot of damage, but doesn’t have great range. So you can really only injure banshees that are nearby. But if they get close and don’t see you… you will wreck them. - ProPipe / Nade launcher (L3-L4); Use the EMP firing mode - detonate near the banshee and you’ll get an EMP. Downside is that you’ll usually need teammates to help finish it. - Plasma pistols: They are really only good against weaker banshee pilots who don’t flip a lot. Plus, you will need teammates to help kill/board it once EMPed. - Kinetic Bolt Longshot AR (L2): If you only have L2s to fight a banshee, you’re going to struggle. But this thing has tons of range in smart-link, and you can really do a lot of damage to a banshee with this. But you’ll need help from teamshot. - Kinetic Bolts BR / DMR: Doesn’t cost any REQs, and can definitely hurt a banshee. But you’ll need help from teamshot.(Also, you can call your own banshee. :slight_smile: But if they have multiple banshees up already, you’re better off sticking to the ground and trying to kill them all)

Another good weapon for taking down banshees is Jorge’s chaingun.