Tips for slayer on Abandon

Greetings,

I mostly play as a random, having my good games and my not so good games. I play reasonably well across all the maps except Abandon. I’m not sure if its my loadout or what, but this map has me completely befuddled to the point I try and avoid it like the plague.

Obviously, the map, in my opinion supports coordinated teams, holding the tower is what wins games. But as randoms go, does anyone have any tips either gameplay or loadout-wise?

Cheers,
Brad

> Greetings,
>
> I mostly play as a random, having my good games and my not so good games. I play reasonably well across all the maps except Abandon. I’m not sure if its my loadout or what, but this map has me completely befuddled to the point I try and avoid it like the plague.
>
> Obviously, the map, in my opinion supports coordinated teams, holding the tower is what wins games. But as randoms go, does anyone have any tips either gameplay or loadout-wise?
>
> Cheers,
> Brad

I too play as a random, the Lone wolf if you will. Abandon is an intresting map but you can be a terror in the tower even alone…I favor Active Camo and a shotgun/scattershot with alot of crouch walking. I usually do very well as long as my team isnt worthless

My go-to Loadout for Abandon is:

“Vision”
AR / Magnum / Plasma Grenade
Promethean Vision
AA Efficiency
Nemesis (Specialization perk, but you can use Sensor until then)

Now that’s just my loadout for small team slayer on a tight map, it may not be for you. I think what you really need is a general approach to the map.

For team slayer, holding down the tower is an obvious tactic, but you need to coordinate with your team. Not necessarily talk to them (though that helps), but keep their actions in mind. Lone Wolf is not the way to go. Playing ‘random’ doesn’t help you in team games. Flank you enemies when your teammate has their attention. Support your team in most battles to make a difference. Avoid fighting alone. Watch your radar, let the red and yellow dots dictate your movement - moreso than what you actually see (your sight betrays you a lot, something I will explain in the future).

Now the central tower isn’t the only place to hold down. The tower at the end of the map is also great for similar reasons. I happen to like Fern Gully (the neon forest part) for making a stand, since most of the routes there are from lowered positions. Another great spot is the other end of the map, that cliff area with the boxes. It may seem to wide open but you’d be surprised.

Of course this is all assuming you handle your real problem; not playing with your team and going at it alone. Personally, I’m not a fan of would-be superheroes who run off and give the enemy points. We’ve lost leads because there’s always that one guy who doesn’t have the patience to wait for the enemy to breach our perimeter, or calm down play the clock for an easy win. He gives the enemy points and now we have to go to them, where they most likely set up shop.

Lone Wolves can check out Regicide. Please let your team be that edge you need. All of these maps start to shine when you see how a team can control them.

Sticking to high ground, either in the towers or on the cliffs, is advantageous.

The spawns are a bit messed up on Abandon: once you spawn in the field, your team will tend to spawn there repeatedly even through multiple sets of spawn killing. If you spawn in the field, try to get out of there as quickly as possible, and avoid dying as long as possible to attempt to reset the spawns.

It’s the same way with the back corner of Complex. If you spawn there and stay there, your team will get stuck there for the entire game. Try to just run out as quickly as possible.

Thanks all,its appreciated.

Hey all, the only match I had on Abandon today showed some improvement. Unfortunately, my team didn’t. Still considering some of the advice, things worked out, thanks. Not sure if the link will work but here it is:

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/SquareRigged/wargames/match-42f7a875660f3c62

I see you got some Close Call medals, I like to see that. Lots of AR kills, which is good for this map. Keep it up!

I watched the match in you File Share. You did well, but your team did you know favors. They acted like most of the Halo 4 community acts in that they act with very rhyme or reason. I felt bad you.

You seem to use grenades in a reactionary form rather than preemptive. You should use Plasmas in this case, you may get more sticks the way you toss.

Don’t challenge a group of enemies. Ever.

It was a good match for you, but playing with randoms is rolling the dice!

My tip for you: The boltshot is your best friend. You spawn with a shotgun with even more range and if you stay in the ring 2-3 area and you are good with the boltshot you can easily rack up 5-10 kills without dying.

The boltshot is so good on Abandon that it borderline breaks the map.

The Boltshot is not the end all people make it out to be, it works best when people aren’t paying attention (which, to be fair, is often anyway).

Fundamentals like being aware of the situation (“My teammate got hit with a Boltshot, either flank the user, grenade spam the area, or just don’t go there.”) will take the Bolthshot user’s advantage away. I’m slain many a Boltshot user not by anticipating him having the weapon, but by playing safe and sound.

That goes for shotties and scatters, too. Same deal. Stop feeding these kinds of players.

If you sit ring 3 with the boltshot you are holding the power position of the map. It has the height advantage and is where you should attempt to hold. If your team holds ring 3 on Abandon they can shoot down on people on beach, purple forest, gray cave and gold.

I’ve had games on Abandon where I literally get 20-25 kills with the boltshot alone with 3-4 deaths. Not saying this is how Abandon should be played (I hope 343 nerfs the boltshot) but from experience on Abandon its either use the boltshot or get destroyed because the other team is going to be using the boltshot as well.

I’m sure it’s a strong tactic, but I’m against absolutes like, “Use Boltshot on this map or get destroyed by Boltshot users on this map.”

Mostly because it presents a false dichotomy. I do not use the Boltshot on Abandon, but I have fought Boltshot users on Abandon - and I have not gotten destroyed. This undermines your ultimatum.

If you wanna give a weapon/map combination tip, that’s cool. Just don’t paint this picture of ‘do this or die a lot’. There’s reason that while I like to give advice on these forums, I never get specific unless I need to make a point. This is the first thread I’ve posted one of my exact Loadouts, and rarely to talk about specific strategies. Players should get general fundamentals in order to grow into their own.

Rather than ‘Get this weapon and go here on this map’.

Jetpacks

Br
Dmr
Ar

That is all…

I think Im one of the few people that thinks if it works, it works and you shouldn’t be ashamed to admit it even if you have your own self-criticisms. Heck, at some point I’m going to work on the sniper commendation, a weapon I am atrocious with, which means camo camping, I know for a fact its the only way I am going to manage it.

But regardless, thanks for the advice all, my gameplay has improved in the few times I’ve played Abandon, but overall team-wise,still losing mostly. But I feel more competent on the map now. One of the bigger issues at the moment is that I am working towards the UNSC weapons mastery so I’m not going in with the optimum loadout, but I’m ok with that. I’d like to jump in with the boltshot as suggested but like the sniper weapon,having that in my hand is instant death, I’m one of the few who have not figured that weapon out yet.

> If you sit ring 3 with the boltshot you are holding the power position of the map. It has the height advantage and is where you should attempt to hold. If your team holds ring 3 on Abandon they can shoot down on people on beach, purple forest, gray cave and gold.
>
> I’ve had games on Abandon where I literally get 20-25 kills with the boltshot alone with 3-4 deaths. Not saying this is how Abandon should be played (I hope 343 nerfs the boltshot) but from experience on Abandon its either use the boltshot or get destroyed because the other team is going to be using the boltshot as well.