Tips for Halo 5, from original halo fans

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I could make a list a mile and a half long of things to change, improve, and get rid of completely. Instead I’ll just say this. Have microsoft pay bungie whatever they want/demand to reclaim the halo universe, and go screw up some other franchise.

sincerely,
90% of your population.

Bungie is gone 4ever bro.

Sad days we live in

I’m not hating on Bungie here, they’re still my favorite developer, but why would you want them to get paid a ton of money by Microsoft to do Halo again? Let me stress this is purely rhetorical and Bungie left Halo for a reason, but say for some odd reason Bungie came back to Halo. Their only true incentive would be money. You want a dev whose only incentive is money and you’re not going to have a good experience.

343 is doing a great job and if you consistently dislike their decisions then you can leave the forums and return the game at any time.

“Their only true incentive would be money”

You mean 343?

Bungie listened to their community. They had a formula, they stuck to it, and crazy enough it worked. When you try to take over a companies legacy, you should pay respect not only to the original creators by keeping the style of play in tact, but also to the gamers who have spent hours and days of their lives playing it. You should probably beta test it, and change it accordingly with what the majority of the fans want.

If 343 would have advertised their matchmaking formula, I never would have bought the game they attempted to pass off as halo. I am not alone when I say this.
Over 400,000 players is now down to what again? There is a reason this game is consistently losing its audience, and why it automatically lost its core demographic. Casual gamers play a new game for what, a few weeks when it comes out? Halo fans play a game for years afterward. They tell their friends. They get people involved. They create a following. By handicapping this game, they really only screwed themselves. I don’t care how many copies were sold initially, there are millions of them sitting on pawn shop shelves at the moment.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

In b4 this thread is locked lmao.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

My guess is very soon, Venom. :slight_smile:

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

Spoken in opinions for 90% of the community like a true forum noob.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Okay, 95% of my friendlist, 100% of my friends IRL, the majority of the threads on here, and 90% of the daily population. Excuse me.

Bungie isn’t coming back, they’re making new things.

Thank you for your very helpful, realistic and totally not offensive post. I am sure 343i will take you seriously.

/

PS- LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK

On a serious note or tip, heres what I suggest:

Look and research anything and everything that made each Halo game unique and special and great.

Example, look at Invasion in Halo Reach.

Players had to traverse the map that steadily opened as tiers were unlocked.

Players could use better weapons and vehicles as they progressed.

There were substantial differences between Spartan and Elites.

The mode incorporated Teamwork.

The mode is reminiscent of Halo’s story in general - its canon or it works well with the story.

It breaches the gap between Campaign and Multiplayer players.

Players could play as another species, the Sanghelli, with their own look and weapons and vehicles specifically for the Covenant.

A mode like this was unique and a great addition to the Halo Franchise. Imagine if Halo 4 had a similar mode but with the option of using other Covenant Races and the option of teams playing as Prometheans (think Gears of War 3: Beast - optional classes to play as but as you advance personally, you unlock bigger and better ones).

My suggestion or tip for Halo 5 is to just look back at all the awesomeness that the other Halo’s have and bring it back, better then ever. Add to it, because its likely not broke and it doesn’t need fixing and you may end up executing a cool concept badly.

the only thing i realy have a problem with in halo 4 are the vehicles. everyone has a plasma pistol and stickies so warthogs are obsolete. anybody agree with me?

> “Their only true incentive would be money”
>
> You mean 343?
>
> Bungie listened to their community. They had a formula, they stuck to it, and crazy enough it worked. When you try to take over a companies legacy, you should pay respect not only to the original creators by keeping the style of play in tact, but also to the gamers who have spent hours and days of their lives playing it. You should probably beta test it, and change it accordingly with what the majority of the fans want.
>
> If 343 would have advertised their matchmaking formula, I never would have bought the game they attempted to pass off as halo. I am not alone when I say this.
> Over 400,000 players is now down to what again? There is a reason this game is consistently losing its audience, and why it automatically lost its core demographic. Casual gamers play a new game for what, a few weeks when it comes out? Halo fans play a game for years afterward. They tell their friends. They get people involved. They create a following. By handicapping this game, they really only screwed themselves. I don’t care how many copies were sold initially, there are millions of them sitting on pawn shop shelves at the moment.

You don’t get my point. I’m not talking about 343 here, I’m talking about Bungie. I’m not saying Bungie’s only incentive was money and they didn’t care about their community because that would be absurd. I am saying that no matter what developer you are if you are put in Bungie’s position after Halo 3, have Bungie’s high desire to be independent, and have lost some interest in your IP, and rhetorically went on to produce a second Halo trilogy that second trilogy is not going to be your best work. This is not a bash on Bungie it’s simply a explanation of human extinct. However, the Halo 4 turned out by the 343 team is most likely a better piece of work than a Halo 4 made by Bungie. Bungie is one of the finest developers in the entire world and are fully capable of creating elite games but because of their heavy deep down desire for independence rhetorically their dedication would not match that of a company like 343, which was created by Microsoft and filled with people that would be fully committed and dedicated to the idea of a new Halo.

Going so far as to say 343 Industries only incentive is money, however, is extreme and just ignorant. There is of course a business side of the gaming world and there is a financial reason behind every action every day but to say 343 hasn’t respected the legacy of Bungie’s Halo and are only in this for the money are statements with no merit behind them. “Handicapping multiplayer” is a result of the evolving of multiplayer games as a whole. This is the most profitable way fit for multiplayer games today to make money, but this doesn’t mean that 343 has killed Halo and are only in this for money. This means that 343 is evolving Halo as a game and are doing the best for the series in general.

And you may not have realized this but since Halo 4 was released it has consistently ranked among the top 5 Xbox 360 games by activity weekly. If you’re use to CoD population numbers all the time when you get to Halo 4 and see its numbers of course you are going to flip -Yoink- and think something is wrong with the game, but it’s just the opposite. You cannot expect any game, even call of duty for that matter, to keep a 400,000 population for more than a month after release anyways.

In the end video games as a whole are evolving and this will include Halo. Halo is one of the most cared for games in the hearts of most Xbox 360 users and Microsoft and 343 alike understand this, and have since anticipated public backlash such as the public backlash forum goers overestimate today. The same stuff occurred with Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and now Halo 4. It’s just that because there is a new dev, 343, as well as more Xbox 360s in the consumer’s hands resulting in more Xbox Live members in general there are more people scrutinizing the game and using 343 as a scapegoat than when Bungie was made scapegoat in the past Halo titles. Halo 3 had more “haters” than Halo 2. Halo: Reach had more “haters” than Halo 3. Halo 4 has more “haters” than Halo: Reach. What do you expect with 360’s continuing to sell in large quantities and the Xbox live community increasing so fast?

Actually, I can’t put a percentage on it, but most of the old school Halo fans are not the community.

Most people on this forum came along during or after Halo 2.

Halo was at it’s best in Halo 1 and then online in Halo 2 when the casual gamer WERE the community.

Halo has only become worse since the competitive claim to be the community.

DMR and BR Stars, small competitive maps. That’s what your all asking for.

I think you’ll find the most online play comes from Big Team Battle and with custom load outs.

Bungie listened too closely to the community that over time ruined Halo. 343i have actually made an attempt to bring back the old Halo play style the originals had and for that, I am greatful.

Halo 1 and 2 were the best, they slowly went down hill after that because of the so called community. You only have to look at the stats to realise the community on here are the minority.

343 have work to do but the more they listen to our specific requests from people moaning about things that ruin the game for the majority, the more this game WILL go down hill.

Don’t get stuck making it too competitive with weapons. Halo was not a headshot game when everyone enjoyed it.

I agree with above, Warthogs need to be made stronger again as it’s currently a waste of two individuals to certain death. Perhaps the vehicle perk can be made stronger to give people a reason to use it. Perhaps it can withstand 3 plasma’s in a Warthog.

Don’t hate on me but I think with work 343 were starting in the right direction. I still want to use my AR over a precision weapon, that was Halo 1 and 2 starting weapons and they were the most fun games.

Don’t get me wrong, I know some people like to shoot heads from distance but it ultimately isn’t the original Halo way.

Thanks
Darknal

‘The Forgotten Spartans’

Actually all 343i has to do to make Halo 5 a great game, is listen to their community and not spew lies like at GDC that the ‘community didn’t want an even playing field’, etc

I’m sorry, who were they surveying there, only people at 343i…

Because to my knowledge, the even playing field is what made Halo popular!

Yeah maybe some people are complaining about trivial things, but when a lot of people are raising the same issues again and again, such as lag, PP’s and stickies in BTB, the randomness of ordnance, the removal of a variety of gametypes, well there’s obviously something wrong and sadly 343 haven’t done much about it in what 5 months…?

And before anyone says Halo 2 was a year before TU, I’ll admit that was pretty poor by Bungie, but remember Xbox LIVE was a new thing, they had to figure out how a TU would have to be implemented. 343i have no such excuse…

> Rknb117

I agree with the above in some of your points. Again, I relate to my “Needs work” line. Yes, Latency is an issue. Regional servers will fix a lot of this if they implemented it world wide.

Evenn putting in a regional search option would be a start. I’d rather wait another 3 mins or so to actually enjoy a much smoother game.

> Rknb117
> Evenn putting in a regional search option would be a start. I’d rather wait another 3 mins or so to actually enjoy a much smoother game.

Couldn’t agree more if I tried. Which ultimately is me trying to agree more.

Where the grenade would actually leave your hand at moment of pressing the button, indeed.

You people do realize that in your own definition Bungie are basically the ones that killed Halo because of reach right? Armor abilities sprint loadouts…all of this was bungie’s idea.

I don’t hate the idea of sprint, and yes they kind of screwed up with reach… but it was still enjoyable even without visible or online ranking. The point is they didn’t completely disregard everything that halo was to begin with. The structure of it. You still needed to control the power weapons on maps, you still needed to have the high ground. Weapons didn’t disappear in 2.5 seconds if you dropped it, you could call out where you died with “on my x.” Power weapons weren’t randomly given to you, you had to earn them. You were able to get multi-kills, you were able to out dmr multiple kids in a row without dying. You needed talent. The AR wasn’t an over powered machine gun. There was neutral bomb, neutral flag, there were competitive games.

Bungie may have advanced the game, and did a few things wrong… but I literally could make a 10,000 word essay on the negative aspects of what 343 has done. They don’t listen or change anything for the better, otherwise I would make a post with constructive criticism. They just tweet things like “you can’t please everybody” and put up photos of master chief in a wheel chair. They even managed to mess up bringing the “red X” back. It’s a small white x that lasts less than a second, and the service tag of the dead player lasts an extra second. A task that should have taken minimal effort was even messed up. I lost all faith in this company, as have MANY others.