Tips for Halo 2 Campaign?

Hello all. Today I started playing the Halo 2 Campaign on the MCC and have played through Cairo Station and Outskirts. (And the two tutorial stages, of course.) I was wondering if any of you had tips you could share with me, e.g. which weapons to use, which strategies to use. I appreciate anything you guys have to tell me. Thanks.

Lots of people fault Halo 2 as being too short or for design reasons but one of my favorites.

First off, Halo 2’s Legendary is by far the hardest Legendary in the entire series to the point of being obnoxious so play through on Heroic the first time. Take advantage of dual wielding. A plasma pistol and a M6 make the noob combo easy. Double needlers/SMG’s are great against Brutes and for me, double plasma rifles quickly replaced the shotgun as my preferred anti-Flood weapon. In fact I stopped using the shotgun in general after Halo CE. Of the weapons introduced in this game, the carbine, battle rifle, and brute shot are the best. Brute shot is great because its ammo does splash damage and its melee attack is not much weaker than the plasma sword while never running out of charge. I sometimes carried the brute shot just to melee flood with it.

If and when you do play on Legendary, be prepared to replay the same checkpoints over and over until you make it through because often it’s more a matter of luck than skill. Also run, jump, and hide as much as you can to avoid enemies. Not very brave but it will save you a lot of time. Have fun.

[deleted]

[deleted]

> 2535427121410218;1:
> Hello all. Today I started playing the Halo 2 Campaign on the MCC and have played through Cairo Station and Outskirts. (And the two tutorial stages, of course.) I was wondering if any of you had tips you could share with me, e.g. which weapons to use, which strategies to use. I appreciate anything you guys have to tell me. Thanks.

The A.I. have trouble to hit targets mostly covered like… if you have the lower half of the screen taken by the cover and the enemy is at the same level most (if not all) the shots should hit said cover, if you are placed in a way that let you shoot or throw a Plasma Grenade it’s an easy kill but such opportunities are more rare in later missions.

In a more vertical way the enemies have a hard time to notice you around a corner it’s good to throw a grenade or another attack and there is a lot of opportunities for that in the Campaign, in both cases the A.I. can sometimes hit you.

This a small tip but when the A.I. drop the weapon they use without dying it will always have the same numbers like on multiplayer, weapons using a battery and magazines are always full (only the magazine itself) and…

From what I remember :

• Battle Rifle : 72 - SMG : 120 - Magnum : 24 - Shotgun : 12 - Sniper Rifle : 8 - Rocket Launcher : 2 - Needler : 60 - Covenant Carbine : 18 - Brute Shot : 8 - Fuel Rod Gun : 15 (the reason it’s out of multiplayer in my opinion)

The same happen if the biped was killed in a vehicle or using a turret, it can be exploited in The Arbiter, Regret and The Gravemind if you take a risk.

Right when you have to take a Banshee the 2 shielded turrets on a plateform are used by Grunts with a FRG each, you can have maximum ammo at this moment.
The weapon is handy against a boss in the following mission.

> 2535443708168613;2:
> Lots of people fault Halo 2 as being too short or for design reasons but one of my favorites.
>
> First off, Halo 2’s Legendary is by far the hardest Legendary in the entire series to the point of being obnoxious so play through on Heroic the first time. Take advantage of dual wielding. A plasma pistol and a M6 make the noob combo easy. Double needlers/SMG’s are great against Brutes and for me, double plasma rifles quickly replaced the shotgun as my preferred anti-Flood weapon. In fact I stopped using the shotgun in general after Halo CE. Of the weapons introduced in this game, the carbine, battle rifle, and brute shot are the best. Brute shot is great because its ammo does splash damage and its melee attack is not much weaker than the plasma sword while never running out of charge. I sometimes carried the brute shot just to melee flood with it.
>
> If and when you do play on Legendary, be prepared to replay the same checkpoints over and over until you make it through because often it’s more a matter of luck than skill. Also run, jump, and hide as much as you can to avoid enemies. Not very brave but it will save you a lot of time. Have fun.

I have heard about how difficult Halo 2 is on legendary. I have started to use the Covenant Carbine and I like it. I will be sure to use Battle Rifle and the Brute Shot as well. I have also been using the dual wield SMGs, it is pretty good in my opinion. Thanks for the tips!

> 2535471640896963;3:
> I vaguely remember back in the day trying to complete a mission… the sniper jackals really are a bit too much.

There were quite a bit of Jackals in Outskirts, and they killed me multiple times. It must be very painful on legendary…

> 2535471640896963;4:
> Hokiebird428 did a series on it I think, great youtuber by the way!

Thanks! I will be sure to check them out.

> 2533274964556797;5:
> > 2535427121410218;1:
> > Hello all. Today I started playing the Halo 2 Campaign on the MCC and have played through Cairo Station and Outskirts. (And the two tutorial stages, of course.) I was wondering if any of you had tips you could share with me, e.g. which weapons to use, which strategies to use. I appreciate anything you guys have to tell me. Thanks.
>
> The A.I. have trouble to hit targets mostly covered like… if you have the lower half of the screen taken by the cover and the enemy is at the same level most (if not all) the shots should hit said cover, if you are placed in a way that let you shoot or throw a Plasma Grenade it’s an easy kill but such opportunities are more rare in later missions.
>
> In a more vertical way the enemies have a hard time to notice you around a corner it’s good to throw a grenade or another attack and there is a lot of opportunities for that in the Campaign, in both cases the A.I. can sometimes hit you.
>
> This a small tip but when the A.I. drop the weapon they use without dying it will always have the same numbers like on multiplayer, weapons using a battery and magazines are always full (only the magazine itself) and…
>
>
>
> From what I remember :
> - Battle Rifle : 72 - SMG : 120 - Magnum : 24 - Shotgun : 12 - Sniper Rifle : 8 - Rocket Launcher : 2 - Needler : 60 - Covenant Carbine : 18 - Brute Shot : 8 - Fuel Rod Gun : 15 (the reason it’s out of multiplayer in my opinion)
>

>
> The same happen if the biped was killed in a vehicle or using a turret, it can be exploited in The Arbiter, Regret and The Gravemind if you take a risk.
>
>
>
> Right when you have to take a Banshee the 2 shielded turrets on a plateform are used by Grunts with a FRG each, you can have maximum ammo at this moment.
> The weapon is handy against a boss in the following mission.
>

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll be sure to take cover. Also, the statistics on the weapons are really helpful. I just completed Metropolis and The Arbiter today.

> 2535427121410218;9:
> Thanks for all the tips! I’ll be sure to take cover. Also, the statistics on the weapons are really helpful. I just completed Metropolis and The Arbiter today.

Mostly important for the Shotgun, Brute Shot and the Fuel Rod Gun. I have the feeling the 12 for the Shotgun is wrong also (24 instead) .

When they drop with a random ammo count those three weapons hardly have more than what they can shoot before reloading, expect the non-random ammo count when fighting Flood Combat forms and Brutes.

You can’t exploit this with friendly A.I. but they can reload for free.

> 2533274964556797;10:
> > 2535427121410218;9:
> > Thanks for all the tips! I’ll be sure to take cover. Also, the statistics on the weapons are really helpful. I just completed Metropolis and The Arbiter today.
>
> Mostly important for the Shotgun, Brute Shot and the Fuel Rod Gun. I have the feeling the 12 for the Shotgun is wrong also (24 instead) .
>
> When they drop with a random ammo count those three weapons hardly have more than what they can shoot before reloading, expect the non-random ammo count when fighting Flood Combat forms and Brutes.
>
> You can’t exploit this with friendly A.I. but they can reload for free.

That is a huge nerf for the Shotgun from Halo: CE to Halo 2. It used to have 60 extra rounds. Also, I think it may be weaker as well. That is kinda sad to me because the Shotgun was my favorite.

> 2535427121410218;11:
> That is a huge nerf for the Shotgun from Halo: CE to Halo 2. It used to have 60 extra rounds. Also, I think it may be weaker as well. That is kinda sad to me because the Shotgun was my favorite.

The numbers aren’t the limit they are what you should find in fixed drops (again not counting the magazine) , the Shotgun can hold 36 but the effective range and the reloadiing speed is what nerfed it, the ammo isn’t a problem in Sacred Icon the mission where the Shotgun is going to be more useful.

> 2533274964556797;12:
> > 2535427121410218;11:
> > That is a huge nerf for the Shotgun from Halo: CE to Halo 2. It used to have 60 extra rounds. Also, I think it may be weaker as well. That is kinda sad to me because the Shotgun was my favorite.
>
> The numbers aren’t the limit they are what you should find in fixed drops (again not counting the magazine) , the Shotgun can hold 36 but the effective range and the reloadiing speed is what nerfed it, the ammo isn’t a problem in Sacred Icon the mission where the Shotgun is going to be more useful.

Okay, I was kind of confused. That is still a bad nerf in my opinion though.