time travel?

what if chief and cortana traveld back in time through space to the time of the foruuners?? since that ship in the trailer was cleary forunner. they could have time traveld like in planet of the apes!

> what if chief and cortana traveld back in time through space to the time of the foruuners?? since that ship in the trailer was cleary forunner. they could have time traveld like in planet of the apes!

This is an interesting theory, but i doubt it. It just wouldnt fit.

Time travel is a no-no. Because it usually isn’t about time traveling but alternate reality skipping. And if it is true time traveling, then we’ve broken the second law.

You see, going back in time is like moving energy from a lower state to a higher state. A cooler to a hotter state. You just can’t do it man.

> Time travel is a no-no. Because it usually isn’t about time traveling but alternate reality skipping. And if it is true time traveling, then we’ve broken the second law.
>
> You see, going back in time is like moving energy from a lower state to a higher state. A cooler to a hotter state. You just can’t do it man.

Well, now your trying to apply classical physics in the world of quantum physics. Time traveling can’t be ruled out with laws of thermodynamics, that’s like using Newtons model of gravity and saying that gravity has no effect on time and space around it. Newtons gravity isn’t 4-dimensional and thermodynamics isn’t 11-dimensional.

What comes to time travelling in Halo 4, it sounds awfully lazy and non-Halo. Although technically slipspace could be able to affect time, time travelling sounds like a lazy writer’s way to explain how Master Chief meets Forerunners.

I KNOW TIME TRAVEL MAY BE SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE - I DON’T CARE. I DON’T CARE ABOUT BLACK HOLES, CAUSALITY, ROMAN RINGS, OR EVEN ALCUBIERRE DRIVES. WHAT I CARE ABOUT IS THAT IT’S A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PLOT IDEA THAT WOULD NEVER EVER WORK IN HALO AND DOESN’T BELONG THERE.

See, despite being a fantasy game, Halo does a pretty damn good job at managing suspension of disbelief - they have no insanely advanced technology in the game and humans are still humans. The introduction of technology that may or may not be possible would, at least for me, bring the fourth wall crumbling down.

> > Time travel is a no-no. Because it usually isn’t about time traveling but alternate reality skipping. And if it is true time traveling, then we’ve broken the second law.
> >
> > You see, going back in time is like moving energy from a lower state to a higher state. A cooler to a hotter state. You just can’t do it man.
>
> Well, now your trying to apply classical physics in the world of quantum physics. Time traveling can’t be ruled out with laws of thermodynamics, that’s like using Newtons model of gravity and saying that gravity has no effect on time and space around it. Newtons gravity isn’t 4-dimensional and thermodynamics isn’t 11-dimensional.
>
> What comes to time travelling in Halo 4, it sounds awfully lazy and non-Halo. Although technically slipspace could be able to affect time, time travelling sounds like a lazy writer’s way to explain how Master Chief meets Forerunners.

Well now you’re trying to apply Haloverse-lore to real-life lore. To which though does trump what I said, your analogy used in an attempt to be condescending is very inaccurately written. (at least that’s how it felt because of its inaccuracies)

In short: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_protection_conjecture relates to what I said. But you are correct in that the Forerunners have a way of not destroying themselves. However that same technology has created 1 of 2 outcomes: 1, a paradox or 2, an alternate reality. Which relates back to what I said.
I made my thoughts real short form in the first post :slight_smile:

> > > Time travel is a no-no. Because it usually isn’t about time traveling but alternate reality skipping. And if it is true time traveling, then we’ve broken the second law.
> > >
> > > You see, going back in time is like moving energy from a lower state to a higher state. A cooler to a hotter state. You just can’t do it man.
> >
> > Well, now your trying to apply classical physics in the world of quantum physics. Time traveling can’t be ruled out with laws of thermodynamics, that’s like using Newtons model of gravity and saying that gravity has no effect on time and space around it. Newtons gravity isn’t 4-dimensional and thermodynamics isn’t 11-dimensional.
> >
> > What comes to time travelling in Halo 4, it sounds awfully lazy and non-Halo. Although technically slipspace could be able to affect time, time travelling sounds like a lazy writer’s way to explain how Master Chief meets Forerunners.
>
> Well now you’re trying to apply Haloverse-lore to real-life lore. To which though does trump what I said, your analogy used in an attempt to be condescending is very inaccurately written. (at least that’s how it felt because of its inaccuracies)
>
> In short: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_protection_conjecture relates to what I said. But you are correct in that the Forerunners have a way of not destroying themselves. However that same technology has created 1 of 2 outcomes: 1, a paradox or 2, an alternate reality. Which relates back to what I said.
> I made my thoughts real short form in the first post :slight_smile:

Oh, now I got it in what sense you were referring to alternate realities. I didn’t realize it the first time. Yes, time paradoxes are something that generally already prevents the concept of time travelling in the boundaries of a single reality.

My first paragraph was written concerning the scientific details of time travel, but the second paragraph was completely non-scientific and only concerned Halo lore. I never try to apply fictional physics to real life physics, only the other way around. With 11-dimensionality I was referring to extra dimensionality of string theory.

Concerning alternate realities on an off-topic note, in both universes, no one would even notice the effects of time traveling. The time travelel would only notice being in a different time and see it only as time traveling. In that sense it wouldn’t get anymore complicated than traveling in the same reality, at least that’s exactly how it would be from any observers perspective (Excluding observer left in the “original” reality who knew about the time travel. This observer would always believe that the time travel failed as nothing happened except the time travelel disappeared for eternity).

time travel would be cool in forge, like if there was a huge explosion that you wanted to relive, just go back in time to see or alter what has happened. it would be terrible for multiplayer but fun to goof off with, going back in time to interact and or kill yourself. that would be fun.

I would -Yoinking!- hate that tbh

Can’t say I’m a fan of time travel in general; it tends to do a good job screwing up narratives. As someone else mentioned, it just isn’t Halo.

According to our understanding of physics you can only ‘time travel’ to the future, not the past. Halo canon has always been quite loyal to physics rules, sooooo…

At least we’re both much clearer now :smiley:

I do admit, M-theory (super-string/11 dimensional) is quite the doozy of a concept. I would go so far as to say that in regards to all of the realms mentioned in Cyrptum, each one is a possible combination of any of the 11-possible dimensions.

…since when were Halo fans so bloody intelligent?

“mind = blown”

…carry on…

Time travel hypothesis in the halo universe is possible… A phrase from the Monitor 343 Guilty Spark came to mind… “Last time you asked me: If it were my choice, would I do it? Having had significant time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. We must activate the rings.”

He recognized the chief…

Also, why else would -Yoink!- start putting information on the terminals of Halo CEA about the monitor’s creation/// And also publishing the forerunner saga so close to halo 4…

Time travel has happened in Halo before, when part of an AI got tranported back in time and (I think) formed the i love bees website. But it happened because of an anomaly in slipspace, and cince MC did was in the arc portal when it collapsed it theoretically could have happened again…

nope.

> nope.

To what?

> According to our understanding of physics you can only ‘time travel’ to the future, not the past. Halo canon has always been quite loyal to physics rules, sooooo…

You mean like FTL? Artificial gravity? That a simple lead bullet inflicts damage equal to super-heated, ionized gas projectiles? That two melee attacks kill a heavily armored and shielded super soldier yet the weapon you used as makeshift cudgel is still fully operations afterwards?

Halo has never been “quite loyal to physics rules.” It just managed to sail around the bigger no-nos. =)

> Time travel has happened in Halo before, when part of an AI got tranported back in time and (I think) formed the i love bees website. But it happened because of an anomaly in slipspace, and cince MC did was in the arc portal when it collapsed it theoretically could have happened again…

I Love Bees isn’t canon. There is no time travel in Halo, the only known exception is when the Slipspace Crystal dilated time - and it was destroyed anyway.

No, why would John go back in time when the Forerunners are still alive? Mendicant Bias said he would have his masters know that he has changed, by sending John to the Forerunners residing beyond the Orion Arm. Time travel is a big no-no in Halo.

I seriously doubt time-travel will be involved in Halo 4, but on top of I Love Bees, there’s this; Spartan 458, Nicole, from DOA4.

“According to Nicole’s fictional backstory, she is born in the Martian city of Legaspi in 2531. This, however, seems unlikely as the SPARTAN-II program used children of the age of 6 and born in 2511. Members of the UNSC Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) kidnap her at the age of six and enroll her in the SPARTAN-II Project, an initiative designed to develop the “Spartan” series of supersoldiers;[4] this is the same program that the Master Chief, and other Spartans from the Halo series undergo. Bungie explained Nicole’s presence in the Dead or Alive setting of the 21st century in an article that revealed the character’s background. The studio stated that the character, who has never appeared in any other Halo fiction, is sent to the 21st century when a partially stable “bubble” in the space-time continuum opens near Nassau Station, where she and her unit are preparing for a secret mission.[5] This “bubble” is created when Apocalypso, an ONI stealth vehicle, interacts with real-space, as a result of an unusual slipspace incident. This incident traps Nicole in the 21st century. While waiting for the bubble to collapse, which she hopes will enable he’ to return to the future, she battles any member of the DOA cast to arrive at the station, protecting its classified information.[6] To keep the space-time continuum stable, she avoids lethal force in executing her current task.”

Of course it’s full of holes, but time-travel honestly ISN’T a new concept to the Halo series. That’s all I’m saying.