Time Travel In Halo 5: Guardians?

In a recent video about Halo 5: Guardians, they said that the campaign ‘will bring an expansion to the fundamental Halo canon’. Details about the Halo 5 campaign have been scarce, and we don’t yet know what the guardians purpose is; Could it be possible that they are some forerunner time-machine? It would kinda make sense, as Chief has been distraught over Cortana’s death for a long time. What if he could go back and change that event? This could set up the game, as Fireteam Osiris could go chasing after them back in time. It wouldn’t matter what Blue Team does in the present, for they could go back and change it. This could also create a pathway to further Halo games, as the Flood could follow them back to whatever planet they return to.

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/05/15/have-fans-found-evidence-of-the-floods-return-in-halo-5/

Could this happen?

I highly doubt the Forerunners had time-travel. If they did they could have stopped the flood without the Halos. Interesting idea but I doubt that is it.

That’s a pretty big leap to be honest. I don’t see them doing time travel, not with how much they go on about the story being grounded.

If 343 brings in time travel so Chief can save Cortana, which wouldn’t cure her rampancy, would make me drop the Halo story in a heartbeat. The closest Halo has had to time travel involved the Forerunner crystal that created some kind of three-week time distortion that somehow put Chief and the survivors of Alpha Halo three weeks back in time when they went back to save the survivors at CASTLE Base at Reach on September 7th.

> 2533274812652989;4:
> If 343 brings in time travel so Chief can save Cortana, which wouldn’t cure her rampancy, would make me drop the Halo story in a heartbeat. The closest Halo has had to time travel involved the Forerunner crystal that created some kind of three-week time distortion that somehow put Chief and the survivors of Alpha Halo three weeks back in time when they went back to save the survivors at CASTLE Base at Reach on September 7th.

Also the shield world Onyx with that slipspace time distoration.

> 2576836393959214;5:
> > 2533274812652989;4:
> > If 343 brings in time travel so Chief can save Cortana, which wouldn’t cure her rampancy, would make me drop the Halo story in a heartbeat. The closest Halo has had to time travel involved the Forerunner crystal that created some kind of three-week time distortion that somehow put Chief and the survivors of Alpha Halo three weeks back in time when they went back to save the survivors at CASTLE Base at Reach on September 7th.
>
>
> Also the shield world Onyx with that slipspace time distoration.

That is true. Yet if the Forerunners had time manipulation technology to the extent the OP suggest, the Flood would have been a cake-walk to defeat. Hell, ancient humanity would have been easier to beat.

If the Forerunners had time travel then they would not have needed the Halo Array. Time Travel would probably just become a cheap dues ex machina plot device if it was implemented in the series anyway.

> 2576836393959214;2:
> I highly doubt the Forerunners had time-travel. If they did they could have stopped the flood without the Halos. Interesting idea but I doubt that is it.

The Precursors seemingly existed before the cosmos, so I don’t think that’s a very good idea…

Time travel is usually where I sign off with stories.

Except for Chrono Trigger.

I really hope 343 arent intending on re-booting the series by Time travel. Im sick of Time travel re-boots. Especially X-men.

> 2533274812652989;4:
> If 343 brings in time travel so Chief can save Cortana, which wouldn’t cure her rampancy, would make me drop the Halo story in a heartbeat. The closest Halo has had to time travel involved the Forerunner crystal that created some kind of three-week time distortion that somehow put Chief and the survivors of Alpha Halo three weeks back in time when they went back to save the survivors at CASTLE Base at Reach on September 7th.

What, is that from the Fall of Reach difinite edition?

> 2533274882881665;10:
> I really hope 343 arent intending on re-booting the series by Time travel. Im sick of Time travel re-boots. Especially X-men.

I loved the x-men time travel story. It may be the easy way to make new movies but i loved Days of Future Past nonetheless.

On topic, I don’t think time travel is possible in the Halo Universe, if it was, the Precursors would have invented it and went back in time and stopped the Forerunners from destroying them, but they didn’t. Either that or they, the Forerunners and Ancient Humanity understood the consequences of changing history/future and decided it was best not to develop time travel.

> 2533274833600810;9:
> Time travel is usually where I sign off with stories.
> Except for Chrono Trigger.

It only works if the entire story is built around it, and that’s pretty damn hard to do thirteen years into a franchise.

Well considering that backwards time travel is physically impossible without a wormhole (which haven’t even been proven to exist in the current day or in the Haloverse, as far as I know), I would have a hard time suspending my disbelief for the sake of the story if anyone travelled back in time.

Halo has never been about time travel, nor should it ever be. Time travel in a series like Halo is just a “fix it” button; a cheap and lazy way to rectify something that the writers aren’t happy with. Time travel works in stuff like Doctor Who and Back to the Future because those stories are built around the concept of a malleable time stream.

Basically, if Halo brings in time travel, I’ll be done with it.

Time travel will ruin the entire Halo Universe in my honest opinion. I hope 343 does not include time travel in the Halo universe. This is why I love Halo because of how everything is explained in a way. Things are believable and there are limitations to technology and concepts in the Halo universe. Adding time travel will get rid of that to me and honestly I will be done with Halo if time travel at that degree is introduced. I rather the story go forward and not backwards.

Time travel is just NOOOOOOOOOOOO in anything other than comedies.

> 2533274848539555;13:
> > 2533274833600810;9:
> > Time travel is usually where I sign off with stories.
> > Except for Chrono Trigger.
>
>
> It only works if the entire story is built around it, and that’s pretty damn hard to do thirteen years into a franchise.

Yep, hence the reason why Chrono Trigger is one of my only exceptions. As much as I loved watching X-Men Days of Future Past, it really messed with the story with that ending lol

I’m still suspicious about the 1st trailer though… is there any way the Chief could get Cortana back? It seems like that’s the reason John went rampant in the first place, so it seems to me like the only reason Master Chief would go AWOL is to try save her…

Aghhhh…I’m not so sure about this…

I will drop Halo if they go this route. Many popular time travel situations use it to “reset” events, similar to X-Men and Terminator. I really hope 343i doesn’t do this.