Time skip between Halo 5 & Halo 6 worse then 5 &4?

This is a pressing concern as the major criticism of Halo 5 was it didn’t quite continue off from halo 4, and now what we see is gonna be a random time jump that is gonna be filled with dropped plot lines.

Major edit after Halo Infinite gameplay demo, here we go:

What the heck happened to the story line. Did the past Halos mean nothing?

• No Covenant
  • No Swords of Sanghelios
  • No UNSC
  • No Rebel Alliance
  • No Forerunner builders
  • No Forerunner Warrior Servants including Prometheans
  • Legendary ending for Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 meant nothing
  • Created just gone as well as Guardians?
  • In Halo Wars 2 a small force of UNSC in an outdated ship took out the only starship of the main Banished force which was a CAS 5.4km ship not the CSO 29km ship. How the heck did the UNSC who fought bigger ships and bigger fleets with Infinity class ships and all that as well many planets maybe at least a 100 post covenant war lost to a secondary force of the Banished. They were able to defend against the Mantles approach which height was 371km and you’re telling me they got annihilated.

-The Prometheans, Covenant and Swords of Sanghelios are somehow out of the picture and not contesting this.

• How would the Prometheans and Guardians be letting this happen. Mendicant Bias shut down the portal from Earth to the Lesser Ark because of the Created, that way Atriox could rest easy and the lesser Ark would not be controlled by the created. This is serious not something you sweep under the carpet.
    -That ending was so cringe, Atriox did it way better heck in fact who came up with the dialogue because the Pilot’s was rubbish as well.

The only way Halo Infinite works is if it’s an alternate timeline where Infinite happens instead of Combat Evolved where you have the pilot and Master Chief escape from Pillar of Autumn in an pelican while the Banished instead of the Covenant are on this Halo.I have serious doubts about this game and question if it’s really canon. How do we know this isn’t gonna be like sequel Star Wars. This is coming from someone who has owned all Halo games and read a lot of the books.

Halo 5 screwed up with the marketing, but it’s storyline was still at least a 7.5 out of 10 which is good compared to other games even though Halo games in general were 9.2 or better in storyline. At least Halo 5 was still considered Halo. I would say Halo Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike are more Halo than this abomination.

I think that was the least of the issues with Halo 5’s narrative.

[deleted]

It looks like the next book will take place a year after the events of Halo 5. HI will likely take place after that.

Halo 5 really did have a broken story. I hope HI cleans it up.

Given the fact that 343 is trying to reboot the franchise to a certain extent, the time skip makes sense. The time skip between H4 and H5 was frustrating since H5 was meant to continue the story of H4 but ultimately didn’t. The difference here is that HI isn’t meant to directly continue the story, it’s meant to give the players a fresh start from a narrative perspective. In that context, I’m not concerned about the time skip.

Yeah, the jump between Guardians and 4 was a little much–especially for anyone who isn’t familiar with the expanded universe.

I’d wager that the team is more than aware of the poor reception over the story being too indulgent in its transmedia works. I expect them to be preparing a narrative that works for those who’ve been following along the whole time as well as those who are new or are returning players who haven’t been paying as close attention to all the revelations of the entire expanded fiction.

When you consider the momentum behind MCC right now as well, I’d even expect that they’re going to make a stronger narrative connection to 4 than they will to 5–perhaps even bring the Didact back as the main villain or at least structure the conflict as closer to what was laid out there. With MCC being fresh in the limelight and ending on 4 (with no word or mention on the future of 5 coming to PC–though it will likely be available via the streaming option coming to Game Pass in the fall), it would be a little risky to write a story that doesn’t take into context that a lot of people may play through the collection to get ready for Infinite–and not being a numbered game (even though it’s technically 6), it can exist without any sense of a missing installment if it literally does take more of its cues from everything in Reach through 4.

If I were them, I’d write out the Created as much as possible–leave it as some anomaly that takes a super distant backseat to whatever conflict arises over the Banished and Atriox. Halo has always been a series that’s borrowed from many other science fiction traditions, but what happened in Guardians was wayyyyyyy to reminiscent of stuff like Terminator or even The Matrix. Write it out some way like they wrote out the Didact. Have it be that since the end of Halo 5, Cortana and her created seemed to go underground and with a rising new threat from the Banished, the Created just aren’t as much of a concern anymore; this way we can continue with the sense of silence and loss that Chief has at the end of *4–*something I really think was soured not just by bringing Cortana back, but by literally bringing her back in the very next game. I’d be happy to see these rebellious AIs be the antagonists or subjects of peripheral books and comics that can exist independently of the game.

I don’t think theres much to worry about here. At least from what 343 have said. Infinite is meant to be a jumping on point for new players and will likely be detached from prior games, like CE. It will carry on the story but it won’t recquire any external knowledge to understand it. Which was basically necessary for H5.

> 2533274796763552;6:
> Yeah, the jump between Guardians and 4 was a little much–especially for anyone who isn’t familiar with the expanded universe.
>
> I’d wager that the team is more than aware of the poor reception over the story being too indulgent in its transmedia works. I expect them to be preparing a narrative that works for those who’ve been following along the whole time as well as those who are new or are returning players who haven’t been paying as close attention to all the revelations of the entire expanded fiction.
>
> When you consider the momentum behind MCC right now as well, I’d even expect that they’re going to make a stronger narrative connection to 4 than they will to 5–perhaps even bring the Didact back as the main villain or at least structure the conflict as closer to what was laid out there. With MCC being fresh in the limelight and ending on 4 (with no word or mention on the future of 5 coming to PC–though it will likely be available via the streaming option coming to Game Pass in the fall), it would be a little risky to write a story that doesn’t take into context that a lot of people may play through the collection to get ready for Infinite–and not being a numbered game (even though it’s technically 6), it can exist without any sense of a missing installment if it literally does take more of its cues from everything in Reach through 4.
>
> If I were them, I’d write out the Created as much as possible–leave it as some anomaly that takes a super distant backseat to whatever conflict arises over the Banished and Atriox. Halo has always been a series that’s borrowed from many other science fiction traditions, but what happened in Guardians was wayyyyyyy to reminiscent of stuff like Terminator or even The Matrix. Write it out some way like they wrote out the Didact. Have it be that since the end of Halo 5, Cortana and her created seemed to go underground and with a rising new threat from the Banished, the Created just aren’t as much of a concern anymore; this way we can continue with the sense of silence and loss that Chief has at the end of *4–*something I really think was soured not just by bringing Cortana back, but by literally bringing her back in the very next game. I’d be happy to see these rebellious AIs be the antagonists or subjects of peripheral books and comics that can exist independently of the game.

Banished weren’t too impressive in Halo War 2, while the Forerunner Prometheans as well as the created were quite imposing and seeing that guardian arrive to Earth at the end of Halo 5 sent chills down my spine. I would imagine the Banished under Atriox on the Ark are the primary force and they’re stuck there so I’m not sure how secondary forces can be a rising threat in the Orion arm of the galaxy. The Guardians by the way already came from underground, can’t see them just going back to sleep lol.

Theres also the legendary endings for Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 showing a Guardian and the same Halo ring. That’s something that cannot be dropped like it didn’t happen, not to mention the vehicles and weapons and enemies from the Builder and Warrior servant classes from a gameplay perspective.

> 2533274967369999;1:
> This is a pressing concern as the major criticism of Halo 5 was it didn’t quite continue off from halo 4, and now what we see is gonna be a random time jump that is gonna be filled with dropped plot lines.

I think that’s a GOOD thing considering Halo 5’s plot.

> 2535435902217648;5:
> Given the fact that 343 is trying to reboot the franchise to a certain extent, the time skip makes sense. The time skip between H4 and H5 was frustrating since H5 was meant to continue the story of H4 but ultimately didn’t. The difference here is that HI isn’t meant to directly continue the story, it’s meant to give the players a fresh start from a narrative perspective. In that context, I’m not concerned about the time skip.

Sorry, but you’re wrong about this and it seems you misinterpretaded something.
343i: has confirmed multiple times already that H:I will continue the story of H4 and H5G.
H:I is meant as a “spiritual reboot”, neither as a remake nor as a reboot of the franchise.
By this, 343i simply means that new players just as veterans alike won’t have issues
to find into the game in it’s story. It isn’t meaned to retcon anything or scratching everything
what has been before and start something new.

> 2533274886490718;10:
> > 2535435902217648;5:
> > Given the fact that 343 is trying to reboot the franchise to a certain extent, the time skip makes sense. The time skip between H4 and H5 was frustrating since H5 was meant to continue the story of H4 but ultimately didn’t. The difference here is that HI isn’t meant to directly continue the story, it’s meant to give the players a fresh start from a narrative perspective. In that context, I’m not concerned about the time skip.
>
> Sorry, but you’re wrong about this and it seems you misinterpretaded something.
> 343i: has confirmed multiple times already that H:I will continue the story of H4 and H5G.
> H:I is meant as a “spiritual reboot”, neither as a remake nor as a reboot of the franchise.
> By this, 343i simply means that new players just as veterans alike won’t have issues
> to find into the game in it’s story. It isn’t meaned to retcon anything or scratching everything
> what has been before and start something new.

Well, yes and no. 343i have confirmed that all previous Halo’s are canon in Infinite, that’s true and I’m thankful for that actually. This does not indicate, however, how those story elements will be treated or presented in Infinite nor how relevant they will be to the plot. They could just as well change certain aspects like characters, for example, by giving them better dialogue and more compelling arcs, or certain plot points could take precedence over others.

A surprising amount can change from one installment to the next, regardless of whether or not they’re connected. Both of Infinite’s teasers are proof of that.

> 2535419393377481;11:
> > 2533274886490718;10:
> > > 2535435902217648;5:
> > > Given the fact that 343 is trying to reboot the franchise to a certain extent, the time skip makes sense. The time skip between H4 and H5 was frustrating since H5 was meant to continue the story of H4 but ultimately didn’t. The difference here is that HI isn’t meant to directly continue the story, it’s meant to give the players a fresh start from a narrative perspective. In that context, I’m not concerned about the time skip.
> >
> > Sorry, but you’re wrong about this and it seems you misinterpretaded something.
> > 343i: has confirmed multiple times already that H:I will continue the story of H4 and H5G.
> > H:I is meant as a “spiritual reboot”, neither as a remake nor as a reboot of the franchise.
> > By this, 343i simply means that new players just as veterans alike won’t have issues
> > to find into the game in it’s story. It isn’t meaned to retcon anything or scratching everything
> > what has been before and start something new.
>
> Well, yes and no. 343i have confirmed that all previous Halo’s are canon in Infinite, that’s true and I’m thankful for that actually. This does not indicate, however, how those story elements will be treated or presented in Infinite nor how relevant they will be to the plot. They could just as well change certain aspects like characters, for example, by giving them better dialogue and more compelling arcs, or certain plot points could take precedence over others.
>
> A surprising amount can change from one installment to the next, regardless of whether or not they’re connected. Both of Infinite’s teasers are proof of that.

not trying to be a -Yoink- or something, but I’m really tired of repeating this time and time again,
hence I’ll simply link the overview for H:I directly from here, Halo Waypoint, where it is pretty clearly written
that it’ll continue the storyline of H5G. Of course we don’t know which and how many elements of H5G’s story
will be taken over, but we know that there’ll be elements which will be taken over, so assuming something
will be simply “forgotten” or “left out” is simply speculation based on … anything, really apart from personal/subjective understanding.
Again, not trying to be douchy or something, I just wanted to clarify for everyone who visits this thread and
advise people to keep their hopes down in terms of retcons or anything alike.
We’ll know more facts in six days.

> 2533274886490718;12:
> > 2535419393377481;11:
> > > 2533274886490718;10:
> > > > 2535435902217648;5:
> > > > Given the fact that 343 is trying to reboot the franchise to a certain extent, the time skip makes sense. The time skip between H4 and H5 was frustrating since H5 was meant to continue the story of H4 but ultimately didn’t. The difference here is that HI isn’t meant to directly continue the story, it’s meant to give the players a fresh start from a narrative perspective. In that context, I’m not concerned about the time skip.
> > >
> > > Sorry, but you’re wrong about this and it seems you misinterpretaded something.
> > > 343i: has confirmed multiple times already that H:I will continue the story of H4 and H5G.
> > > H:I is meant as a “spiritual reboot”, neither as a remake nor as a reboot of the franchise.
> > > By this, 343i simply means that new players just as veterans alike won’t have issues
> > > to find into the game in it’s story. It isn’t meaned to retcon anything or scratching everything
> > > what has been before and start something new.
> >
> > Well, yes and no. 343i have confirmed that all previous Halo’s are canon in Infinite, that’s true and I’m thankful for that actually. This does not indicate, however, how those story elements will be treated or presented in Infinite nor how relevant they will be to the plot. They could just as well change certain aspects like characters, for example, by giving them better dialogue and more compelling arcs, or certain plot points could take precedence over others.
> >
> > A surprising amount can change from one installment to the next, regardless of whether or not they’re connected. Both of Infinite’s teasers are proof of that.
>
> not trying to be a -Yoink- or something, but I’m really tired of repeating this time and time again,
> hence I’ll simply link the overview for H:I directly from here, Halo Waypoint, where it is pretty clearly written
> that it’ll continue the storyline of H5G. Of course we don’t know which and how many elements of H5G’s story
> will be taken over, but we know that there’ll be elements which will be taken over, so assuming something
> will be simply “forgotten” or “left out” is simply speculation based on … anything, really apart from personal/subjective understanding.
> Again, not trying to be douchy or something, I just wanted to clarify for everyone who visits this thread and
> advise people to keep their hopes down in terms of retcons or anything alike.
> We’ll know more facts in six days.

I’ve read the overview, which is why I’m saying what I’m saying. Just trying to provide some nuance in this discussion by pointing out possibilities in how Infinite’s story could be better than 5’s.

343 may be considering adding the the story with books.

> 2533274866906624;14:
> 343 may be considering adding the the story with books.

That’s why 4 and 5 were so heavily criticized, because they relied too much on books.

> 2533274837760922;15:
> > 2533274866906624;14:
> > 343 may be considering adding the the story with books.
>
> That’s why 4 and 5 were so heavily criticized, because they relied too much on books.

Eh, Halo 4 didn’t really rely on the books, just gave a better understanding to the game if you read them, which is no different than reading Contact Harvest for the original trilogy.

Halo 5’s issues (largely) stem from the butchering of the narrative at the time, and little to do with the EU.

> 2533274851065491;16:
> > 2533274837760922;15:
> > > 2533274866906624;14:
> > > 343 may be considering adding the the story with books.
> >
> > That’s why 4 and 5 were so heavily criticized, because they relied too much on books.
>
> Eh, Halo 4 didn’t really rely on the books, just gave a better understanding to the game if you read them, which is no different than reading Contact Harvest for the original trilogy.
>
> Halo 5’s issues (largely) stem from the butchering of the narrative at the time, and little to do with the EU.

If you didn’t read the books for 4 you’d have very little understanding on the Didact’s motivations even after beating the game and could very easily miss the importance of the human-forerunner war bit with the librarian because it’s only mentioned once by her and never by the Didact, not to mention the whole genesong thing with chief that’s just thrown in at the end of that cutscene. The books for older games definitely added context but you could completely understand a topic that was presented in the games. I loved Halo 4’s story, in fact I’d say it’s tied with Halo 2 as the best for me, but they definitely could have explained the Didact better in game because without the context of the books and terminals he just looks and acts like he’s completely insane.

With 5 you may be right, I don’t like to remember anything about 5’s story for a few reasons but I guess I should start in case they start trying to fix it with Infinite.

it narratively did not follow up from 4. The time skip is irrelevant

> 2533274837760922;17:
> > 2533274851065491;16:
> > > 2533274837760922;15:
> > > > 2533274866906624;14:
> > > > 343 may be considering adding the the story with books.
>
> If you didn’t read the books for 4 you’d have very little understanding on the Didact’s motivations even after beating the game and could very easily miss the importance of the human-forerunner war bit with the librarian because it’s only mentioned once by her and never by the Didact, not to mention the whole genesong thing with chief that’s just thrown in at the end of that cutscene. The books for older games definitely added context but you could completely understand a topic that was presented in the games. I loved Halo 4’s story, in fact I’d say it’s tied with Halo 2 as the best for me, but they definitely could have explained the Didact better in game because without the context of the books and terminals he just looks and acts like he’s completely insane.

While I won’t disagree with you that aspects of the game could, and should, have been made more digestible for players (the Librarian scene is quite exposition-heavy), the foundation and premise for the Didact’s motivation is actually explained in the game. It, when boiled down, is his refusing to yield a belief system that he thinks is only worthy of Forerunners (Mantle), which is explained as the game progresses. The extra information provided by the Forerunner trilogy expand upon that, but they aren’t necessary, per se. That’s why I threw in Contact Harvest, because, sure, we know the Covenant are a bunch of religious nutters out to end humanity… but why? Why were we an affront to them? CH provides that answer, but it isn’t crucial to understanding the baseline story.

Again, I’m in no way claiming that the books are worthless, I just don’t think they’re as crucial as usually thought. Perhaps Haruspis can better explain what I mean.

> 2533274967369999;8:
> > 2533274796763552;6:
> > Yeah, the jump between Guardians and 4 was a little much–especially for anyone who isn’t familiar with the expanded universe.
> >
> > I’d wager that the team is more than aware of the poor reception over the story being too indulgent in its transmedia works. I expect them to be preparing a narrative that works for those who’ve been following along the whole time as well as those who are new or are returning players who haven’t been paying as close attention to all the revelations of the entire expanded fiction.
> >
> > When you consider the momentum behind MCC right now as well, I’d even expect that they’re going to make a stronger narrative connection to 4 than they will to 5–perhaps even bring the Didact back as the main villain or at least structure the conflict as closer to what was laid out there. With MCC being fresh in the limelight and ending on 4 (with no word or mention on the future of 5 coming to PC–though it will likely be available via the streaming option coming to Game Pass in the fall), it would be a little risky to write a story that doesn’t take into context that a lot of people may play through the collection to get ready for Infinite–and not being a numbered game (even though it’s technically 6), it can exist without any sense of a missing installment if it literally does take more of its cues from everything in Reach through 4.
> >
> > If I were them, I’d write out the Created as much as possible–leave it as some anomaly that takes a super distant backseat to whatever conflict arises over the Banished and Atriox. Halo has always been a series that’s borrowed from many other science fiction traditions, but what happened in Guardians was wayyyyyyy to reminiscent of stuff like Terminator or even The Matrix. Write it out some way like they wrote out the Didact. Have it be that since the end of Halo 5, Cortana and her created seemed to go underground and with a rising new threat from the Banished, the Created just aren’t as much of a concern anymore; this way we can continue with the sense of silence and loss that Chief has at the end of *4–*something I really think was soured not just by bringing Cortana back, but by literally bringing her back in the very next game. I’d be happy to see these rebellious AIs be the antagonists or subjects of peripheral books and comics that can exist independently of the game.
>
> Banished weren’t too impressive in Halo War 2, while the Forerunner Prometheans as well as the created were quite imposing and seeing that guardian arrive to Earth at the end of Halo 5 sent chills down my spine. I would imagine the Banished under Atriox on the Ark are the primary force and they’re stuck there so I’m not sure how secondary forces can be a rising threat in the Orion arm of the galaxy. The Guardians by the way already came from underground, can’t see them just going back to sleep lol.
>
> Theres also the legendary endings for Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 showing a Guardian and the same Halo ring. That’s something that cannot be dropped like it didn’t happen, not to mention the vehicles and weapons and enemies from the Builder and Warrior servant classes from a gameplay perspective.

Halo Wars 2, in general, has a somewhat muted, though perfectly serviceable plot, including the role of the Banished. So I hear you on that–but I see that lack of impressiveness more as a blank state for them to be built into an antagonist that has greater parity with Halo’s traditional conflicts.

There could be a handful of ways the Banished might represent a significant threat even if they’re just on one ring–and perhaps the easiest has to do with the Flood, similar to the first conflict in Combat Evolved where the Covenant being on the ring and fighting with humanity led to the release of the parasite.

Given that it’s a fictional universe, anything’s possible in terms of what may or may not get written out. The Didact went from being a pretty intensely framed antagonist in Halo 4 to becoming virtually nonexistent in 5 after being written off in a comic series–yes, Cortana’s speech in 5 does reference lines from the Didact, but he’s barely even a shadow in the plot of *Guardians.*For whatever the reason may be, those who are in charge of directing Halo’s overall story across the games, books, and comics, decided to spin the Didact out of view–they can easily do the same with the Guardians and the Created, and honestly, I think it would make for a better story if they did–or, at least, writing them out would allow for more interesting and more dynamic stories that are otherwise more consistent with what Halo is typically known for. Halo 4 definitely deviated (only in some ways, I’d argue) from what traditional conflict structure of Halo, and had it stuck to it in future installments, perhaps something interesting may have come out of it, but it was decided to wind that conflict down for the sake of telling a different story in Halo 5. I see no reason they couldn’t do the same for Infinite.