Thruster Pack and Hardlight Shield 2.0

Here is a list of improvements that could be easily done to the Thruster Pack and Hardlight Shield to make them more interesting to use or watch in action.

More importantly, those changes would push CQB to a completely new level in the Halo franchise.

Thruster Pack
The Thruster Pack, conceptually, offers interesting possibilities, but the way it was designed and implemented is way too punitive, more than it should be.

How do I think it could be improved?
• By making it 100% first person.
• Allowing players to walk/run, shoot, melee, throw grenades, sprint or jump at the end of the dash, instead of immobilizing the player.
• By giving two Thruster Pack charges instead of just one. (to use it twice in a row, ultimately)
• Fixing connectivity issues when player attempts to use the Thruster Pack to evade some attacks and somehow still die when he clearly was out of range in his screen. (ex: Sword, bolt-shot, melee)

Why those changes?
• It would bring close quarter combat in Halo to the next level of mindgame.
• It would allow players to perform combos (dash+melee, dash+shoot, dash+grenades, etc.)
• It would allow players to feint properly.
• It would further encourage movement.
• It would make gunfights more interesting

Hardlight Shield
Right now, I find it to be the best Armor Ability currently available in Halo 4, but I find it as well too punitive, more than it should be. While the player uses the Hardlight Shield, his movement and turning speed both slow down significantly. But, once the player releases the shield, it takes so much time that it just gives a free opportunity to your enemy. It’s too punitive because you would usually use the Hardlight Shield to counter, if timed perfectly, Powerweapons or Semi-Powerweapons such as Rail Gun, Sword, Bolt-Shot, Rocket Launcher, etc. However, once you did counter those successfully, your opponent will have all the time in the world to launch a second attack and even to switch to his secondary weapon to do it (ex: the rail gun).

Still, I especially like the fact that players can sprint, then jump and activate it to move faster with it. And my feeling is that Hardlight Shield is the AA the promotes the most teamplay without slowing down the game or pushing people to camp.

How do I think it could be improved?
By making making the release of the Hardlight Shield significantly faster, near instant. That would give a natural opportunity to a player to successfully block an upcoming melee attack and counter it.

Why those changes?
• By making it 100% first person (for immersion & to prevent players in gametypes without radar to basically wallhack)
• To make the Hardlight Shield valuable enough to be used, period.
• To better reward the player for proportional efforts.
• To make CQB situations more challenging and visually entertaining
• To make the Hardlight Shield a viable option for both offense and defense.

Edited: Poll added

I agree, great post.

I like the post but feel that all actions should be carried out in third person still.

I definitely agree. I also have always wished everything would be kept in first person. Everything would be so much more interesting. Armor abilities, turrets, driving, assassinations…

First person would make these things so much more intense.

I think it would be cool if TP was 1st person like evade was. Good post OP.

> I definitely agree. I also have always wished everything would be kept in first person. Everything would be so much more interesting. Armor abilities, turrets, driving, assassinations…
>
> First person would make these things so much more intense.

Warthog passenger seat. Halo CE. :slight_smile: Good times.

I think the abilities are pretty well balanced as they are. I don’t have any complaints about the thruster pack, and that’s the only one I use.

I agree with your entire post op. I’m not sure why in every halo game they add something that makes you go third person for no reason. It’s like they want the game to be a hybrid or something. I would ever go as far as saying mounted turrets (not warthogs those should probably be 3rd person though first might be interesting… who knows) to be first person. Having my spartan take up a portion of my screen and block my reticle can be annoying at times.

Great post though. I don’t want to hog your glory.

Thx guys, glad you like the suggestion. Hopefully, 343 industries will look over this and think about it.

It would be safe to assume that the reason why there are 3rd person actions in the game is to show off a little bit more your customized charactr as it is wrongly the case in Rainbow Six Vegas with the 3rd person cover.

As an additonal note, if you want to experiment with the Hardlight shield, here is a list of the stuff you can do.

> - Block an enemy and make him fall to his death (ex: Shortcut to snipe tower in Lockout or jump pad landing zone in the based of Adrift)
> - Block upcoming grenade
> - Block upcoming sword attack
> - Block upcoming Bolt-Shot attack
> - Block and deflect projectiles (Rail Gun, Rocket Launcher, etc.)
> - Counter scattershot (can be one shot kill)
> - Bait, hide in corner and waste grenades from opponents
> - Bait by putting yourself in CQB and activate Headlight Shield so that your friend can take down the enemy instead
> - Survive headshot
> - Evade
> - Sprint, then jump, then turn in the direction that you need and activate the - Hardlight Shield while benefiting from that speed without being slowed down
> - One player stands with the Hardlight Shield activated in front of a teammate, so that others can strafe behind from left to right.
> - One player activates his Hardlight Shield and looks up, while another jumps and stand on it for 6-7 seconds; creating an improvised vantage point (see: Haven)

I also added a poll to the thread.