[Three Options]: What Kind of Game Mechanics Would You Like To See in Halo 4?

By game mechanics for those that don’t know, I’m meaning basic gameplay, or default gameplay.

I’ll give you three options and you’ll tell me which one you’ll like to see in Halo 4.

A Classic Experience:
Halo 4 will go back to the classic game mechanics of the first two Halos.

1. When you run you don’t need to wait till you reach max speed, but instead you’ll go at max speed straight away (Example from 0:05-1:00), this will make the game strafe friendly again. 2. Grenade jumping will be back, with the grenade mechanics of Halo 2, which are: frags (max damage) only take down shields but leave health (invisible in halo 2) intact, and plasmas leave you a bit of shields left if you didn’t get stuck (grenade exploded by your feet). 3: Jumping will be more like in Halo 2. 4. No fall damage. 5. Static Reticles, meaning that bullets never go outsible the reticle, and guns have an set fire rate (universal fire rate), meaning that spamming becomes impossible and modded controllers useless. 6. Hitscan is must for Halo 4 on Xbox Live. 7. Everything is found on the map, nothing can be choosen when you spawn. 8. Hijacking remains in the game. 9. Dual (from Halo 2) Wielding will be bought back to campaign and in the MP as an option. 10. The melee system will go back as it was in the Halo 2 patched melee, jumping, running, standing affect the damage done. 11. Button combos will be bought back (in the memory of Halo 2) as an option for campaign and for customs, BXB, BXR, RRX and so on. 12. Health system will be like in Halo 2, because like the good old bungie said, “health packs can promote unfair battles”, that’s why they changed the health system from CE to 2 and made it revolutionary (that many games copied it). 14. Moderate Aim assist, something between Halo CE and 2.

Halo 4: Classic Evolved
Halo 4 will have some few good things that H3/Reach bought to Halo, but will elements from HCE and 2, so this is like a half classic half evolved.

1. The running mechanic from above remains, even when sprinting, so sprint will be there as a default ability.
2. Grenade jumping and grenade mechanics are from Halo 2. 3. Jumping like in Halo 2, but as i’ve seen in the trailer, MC was using a jetpack, so lets say that if the jetpack is in Halo 4, it will be activated by jumping and sprinting (A and LB). 4. Still no fall damage even if the jetpack is in the game. 5. Bloom will be redone, but this time it won’t slow down the game at all or make it random, because it will only show the small bullet spread that weapons have, so it will be small and have a fast reset (less in precision weapons and more in automatic weapons), there will be also a option to turn it off, but it will only make the reticles go to their max bloom and that won’t affect the gameplay at all. Weapons will also have a set fire rate. 6. Hitscan is a must. 7. Again… Everything is found on the map, the OS, the AC and the Jetpack if there is one. 8. Highjacking as well as assassinations remain in the game, but as an option of on/off for assassinations. 9. Dual Wileding from Halo 2 bought back like mentioned above. 10. The melee system will go back as it was in Halo 3, but this time 3 melees kill a full shielded opponent because of sprint beeing there, so melee will be left as a last resort. 11. Button combos like mentioned above are a option/skull for the Halo 4 campaign and custom games. 12. Health system from Halo 2 like mentioned above. 13. Vehichle health system from Halo 2. 14. Moderate Aim assist, something between Halo CE and 2.
(Note that with customs setting, a classic Halo 2 experience can be done (no sprint, no bloom, no jetpacks, dual wielding and button combos) .

An Even More Evolved Halo:
We’ll forget the trilogy:

1. The more realistic running mechanic from Reach, making it take some time for you to reach max speed, running backwards will also make you run slower, running will look realistic and less like Halo CE/2.
2. No real grenade jumping due to the grenades beeing too deadly like in Reach and CE. 3. Jumping will be like it is in Halo Reach. 4. Fall damage will be there like it is in CE/Reach. 5. Bloom from Halo Reach, with some tweaks will be there for presicion/auto weapons. 6. The game uses hitscan weapons. 7. Loadouts will be bought back, with tweaked and new Armor Abilities. 8. Hijacking and assassination will be in the game. 9. No dual wielding. 10. No melee bleedthrough, but instead 3 melee kill. 11. No button combos at all. 12: Health system from HCE/Reach. 13. OP vehicles but with the health system from Reach. 14. Aim assist like in Halo Reach.

Now post which one you’ll like to see in Halo 4: More Classic Experience, Classic Evolved, or Less like the Classics and more like the direction that Reach took.

Definitely the classic experience, with a few amendments:

1. The melee system from CE, not 2.
  2. Speed up jumps slightly, so you rise and fall faster.
  3. Aim-assist levels roughly similar to H3.
  4. What’s with your plasma adjustment? Plasma 'nades did more damage than frags back in H2 - they’d kill a player standing right on top of them, even without a stick. No problems with that.

a game like halo 2/3

I will go with this Halo 4: Classic Evolved

> What’s with your plasma adjustment? Plasma 'nades did more damage than frags back in H2 - they’d kill a player standing right on top of them, even without a stick. No problems with that.

It’s not my plasma adjusment, it’s bungie’s.

Throw a plasma at your feet in Halo 2 = a bit of shields left.
Throw a frag at your feet in Halo 2 = no shields left.
Stick someone with a plasma grenade = instant death.

That’s how it is in Halo 2, I don’t like what they did with Halo 3.

The mechanic which involves Halo 2 and 3 in a nice mix that complements eachother. I disagree with button combo’s though, so keep those out.

> Definitely the classic experience, with a few amendments:
>
> 1) The melee system from CE, not 2.
> 2) Speed up jumps slightly, so you rise and fall faster.
> 3) Aim-assist levels roughly similar to H3.
> 4) What’s with your plasma adjustment? Plasma 'nades did more damage than frags back in H2 - they’d kill a player standing right on top of them, even without a stick. No problems with that.

best so far ^^^

> That’s how it is in Halo 2, I don’t like what they did with Halo 3.

That’s not how I remembered it, and it’s not what the Halo 2 Wiki said either, so I went and dug up my Xbox copy of Halo 2 to check. Standing on a plasma does kill you outright at full shields.

Anyway, I’m fine with that. Plasmas have almost no bounce whatsoever, and they’re incredibly obvious with a long fuse time, so the higher damage is a fair trade.

Classic defintiely as HCE+Halo 2 were the best Halo games at their core(moreso Halo 1 however). The other options you gave me were Reach v2,and Reach v2.5 basically and I dont like Reach.

It’s a tie between A Classic Experience and Classic Evolved for me.

>
> 4) What’s with your plasma adjustment? Plasma 'nades did more damage than frags back in H2 - they’d kill a player standing right on top of them, even without a stick. No problems with that.

Dude there should be no aim assist it is a noob mechanic. Really I would prefer it if there was a lot more CE in the classic but it is still the best of yours.

A classic experience for sure. Nothing even compares.

In your first list I noticed you never suggested one new Idea, It was all mainly " Go back to this style, or do it like in Halo 1 ". Your Arguements sounds very good but I just can’t agree with people who do not want anything new but rather a collabartion of all of their favourite parts of all the previous Halo series in one game.

I like Change and I love adapting to new games, I find myself playing a game longer if its fun and comptitive and requires different tactics that i’m not accustomed too.

Halo 2 to Halo 3 is the best example, Same tactics same gameplay, I loved Halo 2 and Halo 3 was great but it didn’t bring anything new to the table to keep me playing after Halo 2.

I like the classic choice.

Although Halo 2 plasmas killed you if you stood on top of them without them sticking you. They had longer fuse time too, were also “launchable”.

I loved button combos, infact i had one of the best quads in halo 2. That part applies to me very well but a lot of people didn’t like it but you did suggest it only in customs. I dont see how that would be done but im no where near an expert.

People dont realize that there needs to be some aim assist over Xbox Live. CE didnt have it but CE was never XBL, it was on LANS.

There doesn’t need to be anywhere near what Halo 2 had however. If they released the BETA or even a BETA for the actual BETA that did not have any aim assist at all, people would understand that xbox live needs “some”.

If someone would like to PM the differences of the beat down system of CE and 2 i would appreciate it.

I liked the concept of Halo 2’s beatdowns though, the way you could “side step” and “crouch” to avoid getting beatdown, or if you were lucky a sword lunge. I didn’t like the auto beat downs Halo 3 had.

classsssssssssssssssssssssssssic

Classic, Post-TU Halo 2 elements, such as the feel/physics. And elements of H:CE such as kill times and pace(just watched some Halo 2 videos and remembered how fast paced and fun it was, compared to the slow dumbed down gameplay of Halo: Reach).

LETS GO CLASSIC!

Halo 3 was perfect except for three things:

The spartan laser was unavoidable, and the BR was the the universal weapon for pros. I’d like to see more weapon variety among good players.

>

This, but I agree with melee being from 2’s multiplayer, and aim assist should be little to nothing.

Classic.

Classic all the way. The other two just don’t sound like Halo games. They sound like something else that’s trying to call itself Halo…(Reach).