By game mechanics for those that don’t know, I’m meaning basic gameplay, or default gameplay.
I’ll give you three options and you’ll tell me which one you’ll like to see in Halo 4.
A Classic Experience:
Halo 4 will go back to the classic game mechanics of the first two Halos.
1. When you run you don’t need to wait till you reach max speed, but instead you’ll go at max speed straight away (Example from 0:05-1:00), this will make the game strafe friendly again. 2. Grenade jumping will be back, with the grenade mechanics of Halo 2, which are: frags (max damage) only take down shields but leave health (invisible in halo 2) intact, and plasmas leave you a bit of shields left if you didn’t get stuck (grenade exploded by your feet). 3: Jumping will be more like in Halo 2. 4. No fall damage. 5. Static Reticles, meaning that bullets never go outsible the reticle, and guns have an set fire rate (universal fire rate), meaning that spamming becomes impossible and modded controllers useless. 6. Hitscan is must for Halo 4 on Xbox Live. 7. Everything is found on the map, nothing can be choosen when you spawn. 8. Hijacking remains in the game. 9. Dual (from Halo 2) Wielding will be bought back to campaign and in the MP as an option. 10. The melee system will go back as it was in the Halo 2 patched melee, jumping, running, standing affect the damage done. 11. Button combos will be bought back (in the memory of Halo 2) as an option for campaign and for customs, BXB, BXR, RRX and so on. 12. Health system will be like in Halo 2, because like the good old bungie said, “health packs can promote unfair battles”, that’s why they changed the health system from CE to 2 and made it revolutionary (that many games copied it). 14. Moderate Aim assist, something between Halo CE and 2.
Halo 4: Classic Evolved
Halo 4 will have some few good things that H3/Reach bought to Halo, but will elements from HCE and 2, so this is like a half classic half evolved.
1. The running mechanic from above remains, even when sprinting, so sprint will be there as a default ability.
2. Grenade jumping and grenade mechanics are from Halo 2. 3. Jumping like in Halo 2, but as i’ve seen in the trailer, MC was using a jetpack, so lets say that if the jetpack is in Halo 4, it will be activated by jumping and sprinting (A and LB). 4. Still no fall damage even if the jetpack is in the game. 5. Bloom will be redone, but this time it won’t slow down the game at all or make it random, because it will only show the small bullet spread that weapons have, so it will be small and have a fast reset (less in precision weapons and more in automatic weapons), there will be also a option to turn it off, but it will only make the reticles go to their max bloom and that won’t affect the gameplay at all. Weapons will also have a set fire rate. 6. Hitscan is a must. 7. Again… Everything is found on the map, the OS, the AC and the Jetpack if there is one. 8. Highjacking as well as assassinations remain in the game, but as an option of on/off for assassinations. 9. Dual Wileding from Halo 2 bought back like mentioned above. 10. The melee system will go back as it was in Halo 3, but this time 3 melees kill a full shielded opponent because of sprint beeing there, so melee will be left as a last resort. 11. Button combos like mentioned above are a option/skull for the Halo 4 campaign and custom games. 12. Health system from Halo 2 like mentioned above. 13. Vehichle health system from Halo 2. 14. Moderate Aim assist, something between Halo CE and 2.
(Note that with customs setting, a classic Halo 2 experience can be done (no sprint, no bloom, no jetpacks, dual wielding and button combos) .
An Even More Evolved Halo:
We’ll forget the trilogy:
1. The more realistic running mechanic from Reach, making it take some time for you to reach max speed, running backwards will also make you run slower, running will look realistic and less like Halo CE/2.
2. No real grenade jumping due to the grenades beeing too deadly like in Reach and CE. 3. Jumping will be like it is in Halo Reach. 4. Fall damage will be there like it is in CE/Reach. 5. Bloom from Halo Reach, with some tweaks will be there for presicion/auto weapons. 6. The game uses hitscan weapons. 7. Loadouts will be bought back, with tweaked and new Armor Abilities. 8. Hijacking and assassination will be in the game. 9. No dual wielding. 10. No melee bleedthrough, but instead 3 melee kill. 11. No button combos at all. 12: Health system from HCE/Reach. 13. OP vehicles but with the health system from Reach. 14. Aim assist like in Halo Reach.
Now post which one you’ll like to see in Halo 4: More Classic Experience, Classic Evolved, or Less like the Classics and more like the direction that Reach took.