Thoughts on the light rifle?

Just wanted to start this out by saying light rifle was my most used weapon in the campaign. It was truly one of my favorite weapons in any halo. But that was for the campaign.

When I tried it out in multiplayer I couldn’t get barely any kills due to their is a lot of recoil or kick back on. Ppl with dmrs and brs were straight owning me. Has any1 found a useful way of using the light rifle in MM? What r the perks it has over the other rifles?

yeh sadly i was the same, loved that gun i sp alot. Sadly its firerate and kick back is terrible in matchmaking. The dmr and br win against it almost all the time. Sadly i think the DMR is better than all the new rifles we have and in a month from now i predict everyone will just use that.
I hope 343 look into the balance of these guns. It would be s shame to have lots of options taken away.

It takes getting used to and it’s by far the most skill intensive starting weapon. It certainly isn’t bad, but you’re going to have to put the time into getting the hang of it. Unscoped it’s a slower BR so that isn’t really terrible, it’s just hard to win vs the BR and DMR close range. Mid/long range is where it gets good with the scope obviously. The secret is alternating between scopes rather than sticking with one during fights

All that being said, it’s a great weapon but with the DMR the way it is right now, it’s hard to find a reason to use anything that isn’t it. This goes for all the weapons, not just the LR. I would argue that the LR is the 2nd best though

I really like the LR for sniping but I’m now using the DMR because it truly does not make any sense to use anything else. Here’s the order:

1. DMR
  2. LR
  3. BR
  4. AR

> I really like the LR for sniping but I’m now using the DMR because it truly does not make any sense to use anything else. Here’s the order:
>
> 1) DMR
> 2) LR
> 3) BR
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 100) AR

The automatic weapons are actually pretty good.

I use the LR in all the games I play, besides Flood… but from what I heard… it deals more damage zoomed in and from experience. I’m lead to believe such. Close encounters are harsh with it, but as for long range. it’s a great weapon once you focus more on the zoomed in shots than close range with it not zoomed.

> > I really like the LR for sniping but I’m now using the DMR because it truly does not make any sense to use anything else. Here’s the order:
> >
> > 1) DMR
> > 2) LR
> > 3) BR
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > 100) AR
>
> The automatic weapons are actually pretty good.

When you role with a pack, the AR is an awesome support weapon TBO.

> I really like the LR for sniping but I’m now using the DMR because it truly does not make any sense to use anything else. Here’s the order:
>
> 1) DMR
> 2) LR
> 3) BR
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 100) AR

I have to disagree the AR is not as bad as you think, I’ve gone +12 with it against BR and DMR users. Just gotta play different.

I don’t like it. It reminds me of that slightly-more powerful weapon in Call of Duty that looks like it would be used towards your advantage, but really, it’s just not that good.

I think the “firing mode” feature, along with any weapon that changes when you scope in, including the Promethean sniper, is pretty stupid in my opinion.

> It takes getting used to and it’s by far the most skill intensive starting weapon. It certainly isn’t bad, but you’re going to have to put the time into getting the hang of it. Unscoped it’s a slower BR so that isn’t really terrible, it’s just hard to win vs the BR and DMR close range. Mid/long range is where it gets good with the scope obviously. The secret is alternating between scopes rather than sticking with one during fights
>
> All that being said, it’s a great weapon but with the DMR the way it is right now, it’s hard to find a reason to use anything that isn’t it. This goes for all the weapons, not just the LR. I would argue that the LR is the 2nd best though

This. Exactly how I feel about this weapon.

I created a thread to share my thoughts about H4 combat sandbox, and below are my thoughts on primary weapons:

> Primary weapon
>
> Automatic vs. precision: precision weapons are still the preferred choices, but automatic weapons can be quite effective in CQC.
>
> Precision weapon assessment (both the popularity among players as well as my own preference):
>
> #1 choice - DMR (single shot); 5SK, strong for all ranges.
> # 2 choice - LR: this weapon has an interesting design. From hip it is 3 round burst, after scoped in it becomes single shot. More importantly, from hip it is 5SK, scoped in makes it 4SK. This makes it ideal for long range engagement. “Awareness” support upgrade is great for this weapon (as well as Sniper Rifles), which makes the motion sensor available when scoped in.
> # 3 choice - BR: 5SK, “slightly” easier to use than DMR for close to mid range, much less capable for long range. Its fire rate is slower than DMR but faster than LR.
> #4 choice: Carbine: 8SK, much faster fire rate. I only used it by picking up one from the ground. It is great for clean up (i.e.: when you are in a team shoot situation and its faster fire rate gives you an edge over your teammate for nailing that final headshot), but in 1v1 situations it is significantly harder to use than others.
>
> Automatic weapons:
>
> # 1 choice: AR. In close range it beats precision weapons in 1v1
> # 2 choice: Suppessor. Faster fire rate but effective range is smaller.
> # 3 choice: Storm Rifle. I did not use this myself, and did not run into anybody using it.

My most “try hard” class will still be DMR, but I really love LR. The weapon is very -Yoink!- besides practical.

My LR class (for big maps):

Primary: LR
Secondary: PP
Grenade: plasma
AA: PV
Tactical package: AA efficiency
Support upgrade: Awareness

I really like the LR+Awareness combo. With this I am treating LR like a mini-sniper, scoped in most of the time to take advantage of the sweet 4SK.

A fun LR class I am planning to try out:

Primary: LR
Secondary: Carbine
Grenade: frag
AA: PV
Tactical package: Firepower
Support upgrade: Explosives

I feel too insecure when with carbine alone. Pair it up with LR + Explosives however would give me the confidence of going into any combat situations.